Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Generating a routine

Just looking for tips on generating a daily routine around a meditation practise from scratch. I've had some great book recommendations here...are there any that deal specifically with a new buddhist setting up the inspiration and discipline of a daily routine?
Thank you all.

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited February 2019

Well, i don’t have a book recommendation for that but I do have a few ad-hoc comments.

First have you got a meditation cushion? It just adds a bit of ritual to the whole sitting down to meditate to use an actual meditation cushion. Try to keep a set time of day and early mornings are best.

Second you’ll need a Buddhist shrine, which is basically a statue of the Buddha (given not bought is best) and perhaps a little bowl of sand to burn incense in.

Wishing you lots of luck and inspiration with your practice :chuffed:

ColinAlobster
  • Thank you so much @Kerome for the great advice and best wishes. Much appreciated. ??

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think in getting started regularity is more important than length or quality, and experimentation is helpful to figure out what works best for you. You'll often find that you won't want to sit for 20 min or whatever your goal is, when that is the case at least sit down for a brief prayer or a few breaths.

I like this way of categorizing people by the differing ways we find motivation, maybe you can find something in it that can help you too.

https://gretchenrubin.com/2015/01/ta-da-the-launch-of-my-quiz-on-the-four-tendencies-learn-about-yourself/

ColinA
  • Maybe this ...
    https://m.wikihow.com/Meditate-for-Beginners

How to sit

Guided Meditation
    https://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1835/

You will find your way to The Way.
    OM MANI PEME HUM HRIH

ColinA
  • Thank you both very much @person and @lobster. ??

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@ColinA
    If you have an interest in Zen....

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
    Here's a short summary and review

Zen Mind Beginner's Mind Reading Circle 1

ColinAlobster
  • Thank you so much @Shoshin . ??

Shoshin
  • JewelJewel North Carolina, USA New

I love that book, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind!" I am reading it through a second time as the last time I read it was a while ago. I am finding new insight in what he says all over again.

As for creating a routine, do what you would do for anything else. Schedule appointments with yourself or with others as necessary. If you schedule with yourself, set yourself a reminder on your preferred electronic device or write it on the calendar just like you would anything else. I have a reminder set for every morning at 4 AM, when I get up and get ready for the day (wash my face, brush my teeth, brush my hair, etc.), then do zazen and kenhin (sp?) from 4:30 to 5:30. Then, have breakfast and the rest of my day depends on what I have scheduled with others or with myself until evening zazen before dinner. Some days, it's volunteer work in the afternoon and discussions with others in the morning, sometimes it's the other way around, and sometimes I have yoga or physical therapy (I fell and messed up my shoulder, so I have a few weeks left of physical therapy). I also go to psychological therapy (you don't have to be "crazy" to do talk therapy!), doctor's or dentist's appointments, or a break period to spend time with my husband. You'd be surprised how busy the day gets with all this!

I think what is best is to figure out what works well for you and be prepared to change it up. For example, I will be going to the Chapel Hill Zen Center every other Sunday starting two Sundays from now. This is a change from my current schedule, which is to go over to Bob's house and the Zendo every Sunday morning. Time's change, new opportunities arise, and I'm always ready for things to come up.

Like my thoughts, I let new schedules come and go on their own accord. I don't stay with one routine all the time, but let things flow over me from day to day.

I hope this all made sense and isn't considered rambling. I do that sometimes. But I wanted to give you an example of what a schedule might look like and how you should handle such a thing. Hope this has helped!

Love to the World,
    Jewel

ColinAlobsterShoshin
  • Thank you so much @Jewel . That is so helpful and inspiring.

• Goodbye dear sockpuppet (apparantly) :)

GONE, GONE, GONE BEYOND, GONE COMPLETELY BEYOND
    Gate, Gate, Paragate, Para Sam gate Bodhisvaha.

http://sanghalou.org/oldsitebackup/heart_suttra.htm

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

I always miss these things.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Vimalajāti said:
    I always miss these things.

I'll give you a heads-up next time, for your entertainment and delight.... ;)

Vimalajāti
This discussion has been closed.