Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

John Muir

I have long had an interest in links between spirituality and nature. I have been advised to try the works of John Muir.
Has anyone here read his work?

Comments

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Aha! No... But I have read of him quite a bit. He’s often cited among the literary transcendentalists, like Thoreau and Emerson. I do highly recommend reading them if you haven’t. Thoreau’s book Walden has a lot to interest Buddhists, as does his little essay called Walking.

For Buddhism and Nature, I’d also recommend Gary Snyder and the Japanese Zen poets. Let us know what you unearth—this is a favourite topic for me too :)

lobsterVastmind
  • rocalarocala Explorer

Many thanks Adam.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

It’s a topic I am interested in as well... it’s curious that so little has been written about the connections between the natural world and our own spirituality. I’ve yet to come across a good book about it.

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I just got a book from the library that might be relevant - Dharma Rain, Sources of Buddhist Environmentalism. Haven't had a chance to look at it very much yet, but opened it to an essay by Thich Nhat Hahn titled The Sun My Heart.

John Muir I read a very long time ago, but remember very little about it, other than feeling that it was worthwhile reading.

adamcrossley
  • rocalarocala Explorer

Thank you all for your input.