Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Image & file uploads are now fixed. Thanks for your patience.
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anxiety

FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman England New
edited August 6 in Diet & Habits

Not really a starting of a discussion. Kind of more a thought. But I have the habit, I'm sure most people do, of when say having the feeling of anxiety in the stomach, I can recognise the anxiety as just a feeling, but there's always the thoughts which are associated with it, and just spring along almost inevitably. And I get lost in the thoughts, or even when I don't, the thoughts just keep coming, and I basically spend the whole time just watching the thoughts, and it seems like there's not a respite from the thoughts. Even when I don't attach and suffer, the thought then comes along that I did get caught, and that's the judging thought that tells me I've somehow failed by getting caught. Then I guess I feel sometimes like I'm watching the thoughts pass, but wanting to be rid of the thoughts, judging the thoughts. I guess its a process and a practice of just watching the thoughts, and then eventually they lose their power. I always feel afterwards when the thoughts have gone, oh yeah now I know how to deal with it next time. But obviously fall into the same trap again. Or maybe there is no way to escape the trap, maybe it is just watching and witnessing the suffering. Although I suppose that is an escape from the suffering in some degree, because not completely caught in it. I suppose it stems still from my judgement and still wanting to be rid of suffering rather than accepting it.
Anyway thats kind of a rambling thought process. Guess just would like to hear any thoughts, if someone can decipher my words.

Bunks

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I thought about that reading what you had said. I have different cycles of different kinds of problems but anyhow I thought that you're observing your feeling of anxiety. From what I've heard before I'm not sure if the best strategy is to accept the suffering like as the indefinite fallback strategy. I'm really unclear on this. But it shows that there is awareness that we notice we are suffering. Right now I have some social anxiety and feel very overwhelmed going out to do things and I wish I could be a bit more clear and confident. I guess I'm going to do my best and simplify but I'm a little depressed and anxious. So having said that what you described sounded familiar to me though I kind of got lost in confusion or what have you.

FinnTheHuman
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

I have heard... that enough suffering will cause anyone’s habits to change :3 If you could learn not to judge, then you’d be a lot better off. It’s possible to do that, to just refuse to judge anyone or anything in your thoughts.

I’m minded of Seng-tsan’s poem the Hsin Hsin Ming...

The Great Way is not difficult
    for those who have no preferences.
    When love and hate are both absent
    everything becomes clear and undisguised.
    Make the smallest distinction, however,
    and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.

If you wish to see the truth
    then hold no opinions for or against anything.
    To set up what you like against what you dislike
    is the disease of the mind.
    When the deep meaning of things is not understood,
    the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

The Way is perfect like vast space
    where nothing is lacking and nothing in excess.
    Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject
    that we do not see the true nature of things.

Live neither in the entanglements of outer things,
    nor in inner feelings of emptiness.
    Be serene in the oneness of things and such
    erroneous views will disappear by themselves.

When you try to stop activity by passivity
    your very effort fills you with activity.
    As long as you remain in one extreme or the other
    you will never know Oneness.

JeffreyFinnTheHuman
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman England New
    edited August 6

I try now to ask. Where’s the suffering? Who is suffering? Try not to fight it. But to accept it without any judgement of it. But I think deep down there’s still a wanting to get away from it. I guess it just takes time. As you say enough suffering will cause habits to change. I’ve already observed a lot of changes in my habits since being able to just witness. I think you witness it happening and judging so many times it just naturally and effortlessly goes after a while. And even though writing this now. It’s alot lot better than it used to be, and it seems insignificant in the grand scheme when I know that and have experienced that the suffering is empty. But yet when in it the thoughts that surround do sometimes seem like they won’t give up until you give in. I try remember story of bodidharma not believing a thought for 9 years. But I give in to them, although not as much as I used to. And also with the ‘knowledge’ that the suffering is empty sometimes leads to a judgement of myself for falling into an ‘empty’ trap. I’m like watching it and I’m ike how am I getting caught here,

JeffreyShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 7

@FinnTheHuman said:
    I try now to ask. Where’s the suffering? Who is suffering? Try not to fight it. But to accept it without any judgement of it. But I think deep down there’s still a wanting to get away from it. I guess it just takes time. As you say enough suffering will cause habits to change. I’ve already observed a lot of changes in my habits since being able to just witness. I think you witness it happening and judging so many times it just naturally and effortlessly goes after a while. And even though writing this now. It’s alot lot better than it used to be, and it seems insignificant in the grand scheme when I know that and have experienced that the suffering is empty. But yet when in it the thoughts that surround do sometimes seem like they won’t give up until you give in. I try remember story of bodidharma not believing a thought for 9 years. But I give in to them, although not as much as I used to. And also with the ‘knowledge’ that the suffering is empty sometimes leads to a judgement of myself for falling into an ‘empty’ trap. I’m like watching it and I’m ike how am I getting caught here,

You are what you think @FinnTheHuman ...but you are not your thoughts....Keep this in mind when anxiety comes knocking...

It would seem that you are on the right track @FinnTheHuman ....

One of the first things I learnt when I started to meditate was ....all a thought wants (positive or negative) is to be acknowledged, once this happens it will dissolve however the habitual patterns that occupy our conditioned minds, are only interested in entertaining the positive thoughts and not the negative ones...a force of habit ...

And the more one tries to block/ignore negative thoughts, the more energy one is giving them and the stronger they become and the more they will continue to knock on mind's door wanting to have their say...

A couple of short youtube clips by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche on overcoming anxiety...

Be patience @FinnTheHuman for this too shall pass....

BunksFinnTheHumanlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Anyway thats kind of a rambling thought process. Guess just would like to hear any thoughts, if someone can decipher my words.

😌

The anxiety, like piety, depression, repression or addiction is overwhelming ...

Here is a story:

Finn the Anxious (the well known mythical viking) was about to go on a communal fishing trip. For no real reason he was worrying about the trip as he walked home. 'What if there was a storm?'. What if the ship was eaten by the Kraken Sea Monster?'. The usual mind circles. Just then a ferocious bear came out onto the path behind him. Heart pounding Finn backed away and when he was clear, ran as fast as he could away from the bear to the fishing boat.
    “Quick cast off, let's catch some fish!” shouted Finn at his fisher friends, dangers of Kraken forgotten.

The physical running from bears/activity/distraction is a physical activity based solution. I do yoga or martial arts moves to burn up such anxiety or similar ... <3

ShoshinFinnTheHuman