Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditative bliss

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It is interesting, the different forms of pleasure and bliss that you come across in meditation. But when you focus on them they inevitably seem to disappear... searching for bliss through meditation is a bit of a fools errand it seems, a symptom of clinging to comfort and pleasure which ensures that you won’t find the things you are looking for.

I’ve encountered...
— physical pleasure, like the sensation of stroking a cat
— sexual pleasure, like the various stages before an orgasm
— heavenly bliss, like a fragment of delicious, lightly scented foamy perfume
— enlightening bliss, like a complete emptiness with beautiful light streaming through it

Some of these have lasted longer than others, but they were all temporary and they don’t repeat themselves in a regular fashion. Sometimes they come, sometimes not. It’s quite difficult to let them come and go without being attached or indulging in them. Mine do seem to be quite focussed on the body and physical sensation.

What are your experiences with meditative bliss?

satcittananda

Comments

• Bit of harmless arising ... move along, nothing here ...

Shoshinhow
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I don’t know if it is harmless arising, exactly. Some forms of bliss are said to be stages of meditative process, for example in the Anapanasati Sutra on mindful breathing, the fifth stage is

He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in, sensitive to rapture’

So knowing the different varieties of pleasure that exist is quite important, if you wish to guide yourself in such a situation to be sensitive to one particular kind of bliss.

• techietechie India Veteran
    edited October 2019

@Kerome said:
    I don’t know if it is harmless arising, exactly. Some forms of bliss are said to be stages of meditative process, for example in the Anapanasati Sutra on mindful breathing, the fifth stage is

He trains himself, ‘I will breathe in, sensitive to rapture’

So knowing the different varieties of pleasure that exist is quite important, if you wish to guide yourself in such a situation to be sensitive to one particular kind of bliss.

You're lucky you're experiencing all this. Maybe you should continue with the different stages of jhna.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I have thought about trying for the more intense stages of jhana, but these things happen very infrequently and for short periods, making it difficult to get used to handling them. I’ve also been wondering which of these various types of pleasure is the correct gateway?

• DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois Explorer
    edited October 2019

About a week ago, while not DURING my set time for meditation, I think it was (at least partially) a result of that practice, I had a STRONG feeling of RELEASE and, well, I can only describe it as pure Freedom. It's only when you stop searching (and continue to stop searching) that you eventually forgive the pain in your head and release it by not trying to expeditiously throw it away.

I will continue to pray and meditate but most of all LIVE LIFE.

lobsteradamcrossley
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2019

I had a STRONG feeling of RELEASE and, well, I can only describe it as pure Freedom

Cool.
    Much more useful, genuine and inspirational ...

I’ve encountered...
    — physical pleasure, like the sensation of stroking a cat
    — sexual pleasure, like the various stages before an orgasm
    — heavenly bliss, like a fragment of delicious, lightly scented foamy perfume
    — enlightening bliss, like a complete emptiness with beautiful light streaming through it

None of them. Just so you know.
    'Complete emptiness' with bliss and sparklies is not so empty ...

Genuine bliss does not have qualities as such but 'pure freedom' is an apt description ...

Meanwhile for those with monkey mind like King Kong on stimulants ...
    https://tinybuddha.com/blog/a-guide-to-peace-for-anyone-with-a-crazy-messed-up-mind/

I'll join.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What are your experiences with meditative bliss?

As @lobster mentioned earlier...

lobster

I was quite surprised when these things started to happen to me, it’s not a subject that is very much discussed. But I think that maybe it should be, to prevent people from chasing down the wrong avenues in looking for the jhana’s or the fifth stage of Anapanasati.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I get more bliss from chanting than meditation these days.

Namo Amituofo ❤️❤️❤️🙏🙏🙏

adamcrossleyShoshinlobster
  • techietechie India Veteran

The zen approach is all about ignoring experiences and moving on. But not everyone can do that. Some of us need experiences for motivation. They can also be signposts. @Kerome if the experience leads to a dilution of sensual craving (if not its complete elimination), then perhaps you're on the right path.

Jeroen
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Kerome Nothing quite like you've experienced, but I have felt a calm, peaceful sort of bliss. No energy to it, sexual or otherwise, but just a sort of temporary release from 'monkey mind'. It was a refreshing escape from my usual chaotic maelstrom of thoughts, though I haven't revisited it lately.

adamcrossley
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2019

The point about bliss is that it's always accessible, if you know how.

Shoshinlobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Yes indeedy, the mind is an infinite keyboard, all the keys are there, but invisible until, in your bumbling around, you happen to press one of them and hear its tone. Sweet or discordant, remember the tone and you will remember the key, ever at your fingertips.

Shoshinlobster