Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Enlightenment in this life

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

It looks like different people practice Buddhism for different reasons, ranging from a kind of mental hygiene to a better rebirth and so on. So I was wondering how many people actually believe in enlightenment in this life? Do you think that your practice will actually take you there?

The buddha’s achievement was something special, but many sutra’s including the Lotus Sutra do say that the Buddhist path can be walked by those with the right amounts of dedication. The question is, do you feel that enlightenment is achievable for you, that you should be aiming for it?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Personally, I don't really think of enlightenment directly. The ultimate aim of my practice is more a negating, the removal of craving, anger and delusion rather than something attained.

Practically speaking though most of my daily work has more to do with mental hygiene, clearing out or stilling the accumulated turmoil and agitation (dukkha) of the day and week.

I don't think the end goal is attainable living in the world. It probably isn't even for most who become monastics. But greater levels of bliss, peace and contentment are available along the way.

adamcrossley
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think one should do what is in tune with reality. You can only do so much, and to be fanatical about it would probably do harm to yourself and the fabric of the world’s energy around you. So you do what you can, move towards enlightenment for as far as makes sense to you, and for the rest float on the waves of existence.

There is no need to be extraordinary. It seems to me that happiness is a forgotten art, that a man like a poet or a forester, normal people, can be happier than so-called great man. It is about not putting upon yourself the unnecessary burdens that society convinces you are required. Just be natural, but be aware.

adamcrossleyDhammikaperson
  • Yes but insight doesn't happen under your control rather you just prioritize the path and walk the path. It's like falling asleep you cannot just make it happen but you create the conditions needed. You need a mind and to hear the teachings and practice the teaching without too much creating bad karma to distract.

personlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The question is, do you feel that enlightenment is achievable for you, that you should be aiming for it?

Many moons ago when Buddhism first found me... I set my sights on enlightenment (even though I really had no idea what enlightenment was all about )...After a while I settled down (came to my senses...so to speak :) ), and now I just practice the Dharma for long term peace of mind....However this so-called enlightenment would be a nice bonus though :)

Thus have I heard Practice makes Perfect & Perfect practice makes... Perfect practice

I've found it's better to take a leaf out of Dogen's book...

Don't practice to become Enlightened
    Let your practice be the natural expression of Enlightenment
    ~Dogen~

Hmm enlightenment...is, so it would seem.... a work in progress...

....and don't let thoughts of enlightenment get in the way of the Dharma practice of...chopping wood and fetching water

personFosdickadamcrossleylobster

• Here is what the Tantrists say:
    Our way of seeing things in samsara is a deviation from the truth. We are mistaken. We are seeing things as they are not, and this in fact is what samsara is.
    https://www.lionsroar.com/vajrayana-unpacked/

... so now you know ...

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    I've found it's better to take a leaf out of Dogen's book...

Don't practice to become Enlightened
    Let your practice be the natural expression of Enlightenment
    ~Dogen~

🙏🙏🙏

If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing.

lobsterShoshin
  • @person said:
    Personally, I don't really think of enlightenment directly. The ultimate aim of my practice is more a negating, the removal of craving, anger and delusion rather than something attained.

Seems right to me ... others too mention creating the right environment/conditions

Practically speaking though most of my daily work has more to do with mental hygiene, clearing out or stilling the accumulated turmoil and agitation (dukkha) of the day and week.

Mental, physical and emotional preventive Buddha Medicine. I'll join ... 😌💗🙏🦞