Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fear Not...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Novel Crononavirus is from what I gather big news all around the world...Hearing how it can spread (people can be infectious for two weeks before any signs of the infection presents itself), is cause for concern...

I guess in times of crises like this, it pays to be mindful of one's thoughts and feelings...It's important to practice to maintain a level of mindfulness which will help to nip any fearful thoughts in the bud, before they get out of hand...

This article (November 2016) has some tips on how to stop the mind from becoming charmed by its own thoughts...especially the negative ones...

An ancient Buddhist strategy for overcoming paralyzing fear

May all sentient beings be well....and mindful <3

lobster

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran Veteran

Fear is no fun :p

Fear festering and indulging? No thank you mam.

Novel Crononavirus (sounds like a fictional time travel vampire) is something to absorb for breakfast and breath out garlic and sunlight ...

In the words of the undead daywalker Bodhi Blade:
    The world you live in is just a sugar-coated topping. There is another world beneath it. The real world.

Did I go wrong again? Tsk, tsk ... I'll be in the naughty corner behind the Silver Blade ...

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Veteran Canada Veteran

Buddhists typically do not deliberately engage in fear, since fear is about the future, and no one knows what the future will hold. Yes, you prepare for possibilities, but the Buddhist focus is on what is happening NOW, in THIS second.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

True, there's no fear in the NOW ... it comes with one's ability to remain present, however for the untrained mind, getting hooked up with fear is common place...Just look at some of the threads that have been started based upon the poster's worry, anxiety and or fear...

The idea of this thread is to remind members (especially those new to Dharma practice) of the importance of staying present and not allowing the mind to wander off track....Hence why it is in the Mindfulness section...

Fear (False Evidence Appearing Real) and its cousin panic can run rampant if left unattended...

Bearing in mind that in times of crises, for some their practice may fly out the window....I'm just attempting to close the window beforehand, ...locking the practice in...so to speak :)

Fear sees things like terror attacks, potential pandemics, anything that disrupts the bubble comfort zone one makes for oneself, as an open invitation to burst the bubble ...

There's no time like the present to practice being present...

lobsterAlex
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

The media love to project images of fear and alarm, largely to prove their usefulness, when in fact they are not at all useful.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Kerome said:
    The media love to project images of fear and alarm, largely to prove their usefulness, when in fact they are not at all useful.

The Populations of every country are controlled by three factors: The Militia, Religion or Misinformation. That's it in a nutshell.

I feel everyone (apart from me) has got it exactly right. However some of us are fearful, anxiety ridden or athletic style worriers (warrior worriers). How to deal with such useless thinking/feeling?

... returning to the present or the breath. Yep that seems a way. In the Buddhist cult I belonged to, martial arts training empowers the warrior and the worrier wimps away ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha

meanwhile in ancient China ...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Kerome said:

Hmm which reminds me of Mind turned outwards lost in its projection AKA Samsara

edited February 4

On Sunday quite near me, a man/terrorist/unhinged Islamist was shot shot dead by armed police. He had stabbed two people. The police had been following him. A few hours later even nearer, another stabbing occurred. Increased police presence in my area to reassure the public.

Do I panic? Not go out? Of course not.

Having a calm mind frame, I can sense danger and tend to move into to induce calm or stay away ...

Buddhism is a personal calm and eventually we can project it. Sadly I do not have much of a range (shakyamuni had a legendary calm mile around him)
    http://www.bodhipath.org/226/