Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One religion or many?

2»

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2020

@Rob_V said:
    Legend has it that the sage known colloquially as "Jesus" once said, "No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." I think that when you introduce politics into the practice you forfeit Buddha Dhamma in lieu of mental formations and/or collectivism. How can one remain dispassionate and non-reactive if one gets all fired up about the friction of the day?

Jesus also flipped money changing tables and whipped merchants out of the temple (Mammon = greed/money), and the Buddha gave advice to kings.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:

Buddhism's success in spreading is a textbook example of spiritual terraforming, where each new formation leaves in its wake, its predecessors questioning the validity of yet another expression of a fluidic perfection.

I like valid fluidic perfection.

@opiumpoetry said:
    Would anyone agree that Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana and Navayana are actually 4 different religions rather than just one?

What is valid? For me it is the central gnosis, experiential potential and understanding. So 4=1 or at least one quarter ...

To put it another way:
    What arises, falls. That which does not arise, has nowhere to fall ...

Jeroen
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

I don't know much about this topic but I will tell you what I know. Don't quote me on this but I think these religions are one. From what I read, the Buddha came up with different categories for his teachings. These categories are Hinayana, provisional Mahayana, true Mahayana, exoteric, and esoteric teachings. The scholars didn't come up with these distinctions. Shakyamuni Buddha came up with these distinctions. I wish I could quote a sutra but I can't find any. But I don't think any Mahayana Buddhist will tell you any thing different.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Omar067 said:
    I don't know much about this topic but I will tell you what I know. Don't quote me on this but I think these religions are one. From what I read, the Buddha came up with different categories for his teachings. These categories are Hinayana, provisional Mahayana, true Mahayana, exoteric, and esoteric teachings. The scholars didn't come up with these distinctions. Shakyamuni Buddha came up with these distinctions. I wish I could quote a sutra but I can't find any. But I don't think any Mahayana Buddhist will tell you any thing different.

A Pure Land school may tell you that the Buddha specifically taught this easy path for a time like the present when the Buddha Dhamma is in decline and human behaviour is becoming more abhorrent.

We need to hook into Amitoufo’s merit because we have f*** all of our own!

🙏🏻❤️👍

Alex
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@Bunks said:

@Omar067 said:

A Pure Land school may tell you that the Buddha specifically taught this easy path for a time like the present when the Buddha Dhamma is in decline and human behaviour is becoming more abhorrent.

We need to hook into Amitoufo’s merit because we have f*** all of our own!

🙏🏻❤️👍

The teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha. The Great Collection Sutra states that in the fifth and last half-millennium after Shakyamuni Buddha’s death (the beginning of the Latter Day of the Law) “quarrels and disputes will arise among the adherents to my teachings, and the pure Law will become obscured and lost.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya Nothing whatsoever should be clung to...

how
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

"After I have passed into extinction, in the last five-hundred-year period you must spread it abroad widely throughout Jambudvīpa and never allow it to be cut off."