Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Last Will and Testament


From another thread about a billionaire dying alone with Covid-19 without his beloved money for useless companionship.

When you're lying on your death bed and taking those last laboured breaths, what achievements do you want to reflect upon that will make you proud, happy and ready to leave?

Ah death, hear in each breath ...

I am proud of those who made me happy and ready to leave. Proud of good companions who taught me to live simply and be happy. Yes bursting with pride. Like a Buddha bubble.

Are you ready? Did you learn to Live Happily Never After?

BunksKerome

Comments

  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    I like to tell myself I'm ready @lobster but I am probably not.

    However, from a worldly point of view, I've nothing more to achieve.

    lobster
  • I cling to life like an addict to his needle

    lobsterFosdickShoshinRodrigo
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

    Living happily, one clings to nothing. Clinging to nothing, life and death are neither two nor one.

  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited April 22

    @Fosdick said:
    Living happily, one clings to nothing. Clinging to nothing, life and death are neither two nor one.

    Yes, for the enlightened maybe. But I have a wonderful family I would not want to leave just yet. I especially would like to see my son grow up. I am but a householder, I make no pretentions to not want life

    lobster
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    I’m pretty sure I’m ready. Of course you never know until you get to that point.

    But I have relatively few things keeping me on this Earth, and a lot I have already let go of.

  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Ficus_religiosa said:

    @Fosdick said:
    Living happily, one clings to nothing. Clinging to nothing, life and death are neither two nor one.

    Yes, for the enlightened maybe. But I have a wonderful family I would not want to leave just yet. I especially would like to see my son grow up. I am but a householder, I make no pretentions to not want life.

    Yes. However, when it comes to the crunch, you have no choice. Never forget that.

    Death is unpredictable and unavoidable.

    Do not imagine yourself elderly and decrepit, at the end of your numerous years.
    Many recently have assumed living to a 'ripe old age' yet have instead succumbed to a Virus.
    Let us not say, 'they went before their time.' It WAS their time.

  • @federica said:

    @Ficus_religiosa said:

    @Fosdick said:
    Living happily, one clings to nothing. Clinging to nothing, life and death are neither two nor one.

    Yes, for the enlightened maybe. But I have a wonderful family I would not want to leave just yet. I especially would like to see my son grow up. I am but a householder, I make no pretentions to not want life.

    Yes. However, when it comes to the crunch, you have no choice. Never forget that.

    Death is unpredictable and unavoidable.

    Do not imagine yourself elderly and decrepit, at the end of your numerous years.
    Many recently have assumed living to a 'ripe old age' yet have instead succumbed to a Virus.
    Let us not say, 'they went before their time.' It WAS their time.

    Yea, I know. And I also experience dukkha from time to time, if I fear illness, because of this. I work on it - afterall, that is what this is all about ;)

    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    It pays to contemplate it, to the point that you make a welcome visitor of Yama, and take tea with him every day.

    I have stated before: Sometimes, he is so tiny, he hides in my pocket and I am scarcely even aware of him at all.
    At other times he is so vast, so present, so overwhelming, he blocks out the sun and renders the day dark and full of foreboding.
    And one day, he will lay his hand upon my shoulder and bid me follow.

    And I will not be able to refuse him.
    I await his visit.
    And avoid sugar in my tea....

    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    @Ficus_religiosa said:
    I cling to life like an addict to his needle

    Very honest.

    I think emotionally and physically (our mind may be ready) but our attachments/grasping and gasping for breath may take over our mind based 'wisdom' ...

  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

    @lobster said:

    From another thread about a billionaire dying alone with Covid-19 without his beloved money for useless companionship.

    When you're lying on your death bed and taking those last laboured breaths, what achievements do you want to reflect upon that will make you proud, happy and ready to leave?

    Ah death, hear in each breath ...

    I am proud of those who made me happy and ready to leave. Proud of good companions who taught me to live simply and be happy. Yes bursting with pride. Like a Buddha bubble.

    Are you ready? Did you learn to Live Happily Never After?

    There is an awful lot of "I" and "me" and ego in that quote you gave. Certainly not MY idea of a "Buddha bubble".

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran
    edited April 25

    @paulyso said:
    my dad passed on.i will follow one day.

    I’m sad to hear it @paulyso. The passing of a loved one is always a difficult time, and we try to honour his life while not getting lost in grief. It’s good that you can retain your equanimity. Best wishes in this tough time.

    WalkerFrogpond
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    Sincere condolences, @paulyso may you find comfort and serenity in good memories.

    WalkerFrogpond
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

    Sad to hear of your father's passing @paulyso. Agreed with @federica, remember the love and care you had for each other.

    Frogpond
  • FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer

    Very sorry for your loss @paulyso. May your father rest in peace and may you be comforted by the love you will always have for him.

  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 25

    :'(

    How sad! Hope you are OK ... able to cope ...

    Drop by drop is the water pot filled. Likewise, the wise man, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.
    The Buddha (Dhammapada verse 112)

    Bunks
  • FeistyGibbletsFeistyGibblets South Australia Explorer

    My condolences @paulyso

  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    Are you ready? Did you learn to Live Happily Never After?

    Yes...I look on the bright side of life & death

    Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    @paulyso said:
    my dad passed on.i will follow one day.thank you shaki in helping me respond to loss with soft equimity and compassion...i must carry on,along the way,thank you bob marley.

    Bob Marley good. So many good people. We give thanks.

    Carry on.

    And now hymn reggae ...

    Bunks
Sign In or Register to comment.