Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meta Morpheus

Metta of fact, we can change [who knew?]

As some of you know there are many forms of metta to love.

1. Sibling, relative and child
  2. Poetic and songs sung
  3. Divine and altruistic
  4. New aged
  5. Erotic, neurotic and transcendent

Whom is your favourite?

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Snakes.

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Loving snakes, that’s just silly @fosdick ... in India they have snakes called ‘two-steppers’ because that’s how far you get after they bite you. Still all animals have their place in the world.

As far as types of metta are concerned, I feel the most connection for the loving friendliness.

edited September 2020

We are at exponentially greater risk of being injured or killed by another human than we are of being injured or killed by a snake, and animals do indeed have their place in the world - which is very lucky for us, since we are, in fact, animals. I prefer the terms mischievous, stupid, or playful myself, but it's your choice.

I think there is a tendency for us to experience metta with a rather homocentric bias - perhaps a reflection of our habitual fondness for self. Perhaps we would be better served to identify self with the biosphere of which we are a part, rather than with one animal or group of animals that occur within it, even if that's a group of snakes.

So biospheric metta would be my choice, I think.

lobster
  • we must have favorites? :3
    Seriously, best love is the live of self which embraces all others within it.
    All else (of love) is but a fragment.

Peace to all.

lobster

Or, perhaps, just pure, undifferentiated metta. Just metta, without subject or object - is that a viable approach?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2020

I knows it is @Fosdick 💗

I am sending pure metta to my favourite objects. Hope nobody objects ;)

Metta 2:
    1. crystals rock
    2. horn
    3. triple gems
    4. computers
    5. water
    6. metals eg copper
    7. gods hat
    8. my body
    9. me bones

... and if nobody objects, everything else that knows me or doesn't ...

• May all beings be happy. All sentient beings, including ourselves ...

I'm still a Metta noob though.. !

^.^

Jeroenlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    I knows it is @Fosdick 💗

I am sending pure metta to my favourite objects. Hope nobody objects ;)

Metta 2:
    1. crystals rock
    2. horn
    3. triple gems
    4. computers
    5. water
    6. metals eg copper
    7. gods hat
    8. my body
    9. me bones

... and if nobody objects, everything else that knows me or doesn't ...

Its a good list @lobster. I’m honoured to be on there as an acquaintance, together with water and ‘me bones’. I would add:

1. All the substances that lend themselves to making buddha statues
    2. Apple juice
    3. Forest floor detritus for being such a good recycler
    4. Books
  • @コチシカ said:

I'm still a Metta noob though.. !

I feel we all are. Buddhism can get stuck in the head as mind. The Vast Mind. Consciousness and certainly Buddha Nurture encompasses. So even though practice will open our minds eye, we must also tune in or resonate with All we can in a kindly manner.

I enter the hell realms and sometimes am swallowed by negativity But the intention, the practice, the effort is Kindly Metta.

<3

Kotishka
  • Just metta, without subject or object - is that a viable approach?

Dervish advice:
    'Increase in Love'

Allsorts. How so in the way without subject or object that @Fosdick mentions? Well assuming emotions exist in some form - practice. Start with objects and subjects to familiarise the nature of this expression. Until able to generate a metta pulse/aura/Buddha Field.

What it is
    https://studybuddhism.com/en/essentials/what-is/what-is-love

6 stage Metta Bhavna
    https://www.embodiedphilosophy.com/six-stages-metta-bhavana-loving-kindness/

Another side
    https://sidewithlove.org/

Now Glow ...

FosdickJeroen

Allsorts. How so in the way without subject or object that @Fosdick mentions? Well assuming emotions exist in some form - practice. Start with objects and subjects to familiarise the nature of this expression. Until able to generate a metta pulse/aura/Buddha Field.

I frequently think of this as a neurological pathways rather than Buddha fields, but I reckon either will do. There is a place, a set of nerve connections, in the mind, in the brain, where particular mental states are located. When you arrive at a particular desirable mental state, by accident or by practice, don't just enjoy it - note and remember where it is. If your memory is sharp enough, you can return there, from a relatively calm mind, almost at will. If the house is on fire, though, forget it and head for the hills.

lobsterKotishka