Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and Anti-Depressant

TozanTozan Turkey Explorer

Dear noble sangha, I have obsesif compulsif disorder and thanks to three years of meditation I am about get rid of it. But sime times OCD and anxiety attacks appear and I take care of it via meditation. But this is not every time useful and then I take my antidepresant and feel calm. So my question is this: should I use only but only meditation practice for gaining a wholesome mind or is it OK to take anti depressant when it is needed. İndeed I'm afraid of taking antidepressants due to it can be an obstacle for my practice. This is only a doubt but makes me disturbed. Thank you <3

Shoshin1lobster

Comments

• paskapaska Explorer

The teachers want you on meds if it helps and prescribe

TozanlobsterShoshin1
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I’d suggest you listen to the experts. We are just humble lay people who are in no position to give you medical advice.
    Sadhu 🙏

TozanShoshin1lobsterNerida
  • KeromeKerome Lovingness is the way The Continent Veteran

It is a long path to heal yourself from mental illness through self-knowledge and meditation. I wish you all the best.

TozanShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Fringe medicine for hair dressing advice …
    Hair dressers for gossip.

Doctors for medicine.
    Dharma for meditation.

What we can say is calm and removing stress is a life time course/direction …

TozanNerida
  • KeromeKerome Lovingness is the way The Continent Veteran

I watched an interesting documentary last night about how sessions of psychedelics with therapy compare to antidepressants, it turns out the psychedelics are a very viable alternative. Maybe something to look into if you feel your antidepressants are not working for you.

paskaTozan
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I take medication and I consider that maybe the scientists and drug company business guys/gals helped make the medications as part of the wishes of many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas? Maybe it's true?

Most people don't deal with the symptoms of depression. But they will take measures to deal with things (whatever they may be) before meditation. For example if they are very tired they may splash cold water on themselves in the shower to wake up before their meditation. If it is ok to splash water on yourself then why not to take a medicine that helps with your depression? Isn't it easier to meditate with less symptoms of depression?

TozanlobsterShoshin1
  • TozanTozan Turkey Explorer
    edited May 26

sn't it easier to meditate with less symptoms of depression?

that is completely true.

lobsterShoshin1