Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mingyur Rinpoche

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

What do you guys think of him? I was listening to a podcast with him and Sam Harris and it gave me a good feeling, he has some good qualities.

Shoshin1

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

When I get the chance, I'll wach the whole video. But he seems very affable...

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2021

Im not sure if it’s the best video, I ran across him at an audio discourse on the Waking Up app, where he had a long interview with Sam Harris, he certainly seemed like the real deal. He is a Vajrayana and Dzogchen practitioner with his own worldwide meditation community, his practice groups are mostly in the US and in Europe he has a strong following in Germany.

https://tergar.org/about/mingyur-rinpoche/

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I like him too and read one of his books. I think "the real deal" and affable describe him pretty good. He's good at communicating the Tibetan tradition to westerners.

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Apparently he left his monastery at Bodh Gaya during the middle of the night to go on a wandering retreat. For 4 and a half years he was a beggar and lone monastic on the streets and in caves in the hills of the Himalayas. He returned in 2015, and a film was made of his wandering retreat.

You can view it on Vimeo for €9.50

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

He's great imo. I have 2 of this books, The Joy of Living and Joyful Wisdom and I've gotten a lot out of them.

Jeroen
    edited August 2021

@person said:
    He's good at communicating the Tibetan tradition to westerners.

I just had a look at his website, and it offers two courses, one The Joy of Living, which he states as being for everyone, and the other The Path of Liberation, for people wanting to study buddhism under his guidance.

I think in one way its good he makes this distinction, he appeals to two sets of practitioners, one the (for lack of a better term) "buddhism lite" people who like to focus on happiness more than theoretical short paths to enlightenment, and the other more for classical long-term buddhists where he can go to town with more Vajrayana techniques.

Although having said that, with a slightly deeper look, I think the Joy of Living path is more his own creation and more modern, than the classic Vajrayana alternative which has all these prerequisites of study and empowerments. It's not necessarily a lesser approach.

person
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Kerome said:

@person said:
    He's good at communicating the Tibetan tradition to westerners.

I just had a look at his website, and it offers two courses, one The Joy of Living, which he states as being for everyone, and the other The Path of Liberation, for people wanting to study buddhism under his guidance.

I think in one way its good he makes this distinction, he appeals to two sets of practitioners, one the (for lack of a better term) "buddhism lite" people who like to focus on happiness more than theoretical short paths to enlightenment, and the other more for classical long-term buddhists where he can go to town with more Vajrayana techniques.

There are also those from other traditions who may want the Joy of Living course without having to worry about sectarian differences.

Jeroen

Two public talks by him, which may be of interest to people

• He is one of my favourite Dharma teachers.....

edited August 2021

@Kerome said:
    Although having said that, with a slightly deeper look, I think the Joy of Living path is more his own creation and more modern, than the classic Vajrayana alternative which has all these prerequisites of study and empowerments. It's not necessarily a lesser approach.

I've been looking at the Joy of Living programme more, and it seems quite nice but of limited depth on further reflection. This is the layout of the programme from the website, which is expected to take 18 months to complete.

LEVEL 01
    Calming the mind

In the first level, you will discover how awareness meditation can be used to create a peaceful mind and joyful heart.

• Recognizing Awareness
    • Everything is Meditation
    • Emotional Balance

LEVEL 02
    Opening the Heart

In the second level, you will experience how meditating on love, compassion, joy and equanimity can open our hearts to the world around us.

• Love
    • Compassion
    • Joy
    • Equanimity

LEVEL 03
    Awakening Wisdom

In the third level you will receive guidance on the practice of insight meditation, a profound form of meditation that uproots the causes of anxiety and suffering.

• Innate Wisdom
    • Multiplicity and Interdependence
    • Impermanence and Transformation
    • The Self Beyond Self
    • The Luminous Self
    • Timeless Awareness
    BunksKotishka