Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Judgment Daze

I've heard admitting the problem is the first step... :p

Feeling judgmental these days and wondering if I should be meditating my way out of it or what.

Belligerent conservatives, smug know-it-alls, the macho people, the richo people, snobs, condescending jerks, people who see anger as strength, people who see wealth and sexual attraction as virtue, on and on, you get the idea.

Even as I write this, I see that it is dukkha and that the Buddha has made the path out crystal clear.

So I guess this is just me realizing where more work needs to be done.

howBunksShoshin1lobsterDavid

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2021

Three Monks had been walking for 5 days, and were on their way to a beach, bordering on the Indian ocean, to meditate on the sunrise and abide within a sacred space.... arriving at the beach, they spied the soft, white sand, kissed by gentle waves, but were impeded by a broad, irregular swathe of sharp stones and flint chippings... the first monk stepped onto the stones and withdrew his foot in pain, immediately.
    He turned to his companions and said:
    "We must return swiftly to the Temple and retrieve at least... I would say...maybe 50 prayer mats, that we might lay them on the stones and allow us to cross this barrier..."

The second Monk shook his head, and said "No, there isn't time. We should go to the nearest cloth merchant in the nearby town, and buy muslin, then tear it into small pieces, and wrap each stone to soften the edges and make them more welcoming to our feet. It will be a meditative exercise, in preparation for our peaceful meditation in the morning..."

The third monk stood silent for a moment, then said to his companions...
    "Why don't we just put our sandals on?"

Your problem isn't what ails you.
    Your problem is your ATTITUDE to what ails you.
    You can't change the world.
    You must change yourself.

You should visualise yourself as a lighthouse, a beacon of light, there for the safety and well-being of others.
    No matter how stormy, calm, choppy, turbulent or violent the waves, you may stand unperturbed, immoveable and constant, in a sea of change and hazards.

Ren_in_blackKotishkaDavid
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2021

A spiritual observance that everything changes, is seldom given the full credence it deserves..

Attitudes that calls for activity when stillness is needed are no less a cause for suffering as the attitudes are that call for stillness when activity is needed.

An adherence to either attitude as a policy is really more about a mind's unwillingness to accept the ephemeral nature of it's own existence than it is about any addressing of suffering's true causes.

Ren_in_blacklobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Ren_in_black said:
    Belligerent conservatives, smug know-it-alls, the macho people, the richo people, snobs, condescending jerks, people who see anger as strength, people who see wealth and sexual attraction as virtue, on and on, you get the idea.

I think you will find the answer lies in letting go. Each of these instances is a judgment on your part, a decision that someone else’s attitude is not how things should be. These internal decisions are based on your views, and each one of them is something you can visit, look at and let go.

Remembering these instances and making a list is a very good start, it allows you to examine each one in turn.

As Ajahn Chah said, the path consists of letting go, more letting go and yet more letting go.

Ren_in_blackBunks
  • @Ren_in_black said:
    I've heard admitting the problem is the first step... :p

Yes ✅

Feeling judgmental these days and wondering if I should be meditating my way out of it or what.

Tee hee! I gets it. These are all reflections of me, moi, my problems:

I also judge

• me as dukkha
    • war mongers
    • pseudo gurus/teachers
    • authority without virtue
      … and even 'the Buddhas' messing around in purelands and being kind in the hell realms …

tsk, tsk [bad lobster]

Even as I write this, I see that it is dukkha and that the Buddha has made the path out crystal clear.

Ah ha! Buddhism … simples!

So I guess this is just me realizing where more work needs to be done.

💗

Ren_in_black