Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist time management

Hello, I haven’t been here for a while. Busy life and poor health have impacted on my practice and learning.

Which leads me into my heading - when I need my Buddhism the most (when I have a busy and stressful job, when I’m sick) I seem to give it the least attention. When I have health, time and space to practice freely, that’s when I read, interact, meditate.

How do you maintain YOUR practice when you’re busy, or down in the dumps, or sick ?

Shoshin1

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2021

That’s a little difficult. When last I was under that kind of time pressure I was not yet practicing Buddhism, but I did have other life habits that I wouldn’t compromise on, like my fitness regime. Three days a week I would come into the office at 9.30 am, leave at about 6.30 pm, and then I’d head for the gym which was in the same business park and I would spend a good hour and a half exercising, strength training, and a bit of swimming and jacuzzi to unwind. Often I wouldn’t be home before 8.30 pm.

So I think I would treat Buddhism the same way, by creating a regular space for it in my schedule.

Then I became ill and both work and fitness suffered an extended lapse…

Alex
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I do know that the Dalai Lama likes to get up very early and does his meditating then, when he is fresh from a nights rest. Perhaps that is something to consider.

Alex
  • AlexAlex UK Veteran

Thanks @Jeroen and @how most helpful. I think a disciplined routine is my best bet, which is probably contrary to my spontaneous nature, but perhaps that’s no bad thing.

@how is your Zazen session still open for folks to join ?

Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Hey Alex
    Yes. It's just a room within zoom so there is no waiting to be let in. You can just let yourself in & out when you wish, and whether your arriving or leaving is late or early, if its done quietly, is totally your business. I ring a bell to start the sitting at 7:00 AM and end them at 7:30 AM. The second sitting goes from 10:00 PM to 10:30 PM. If you have some dominant noise conditions from your side then you should mute your end of the call during the active sitting, to respect the sitting space that others are sharing in. Occasionally somebody might stay after the sitting to chat but because this is a free zoom program, this room will arbitrarily shut down at 7:45AM & 10:45PM.
    I think the UK is 8 hours behind these PST time zones.
    Message me if you want the zoom room ID

Alexlobster
  • How do you maintain YOUR practice when you’re busy, or down in the dumps, or sick ?

I practice practicing. Always.
    I was on one @how zoom meeting for a month or so. Excellent disciplined time focussed meet.

At the moment (I constantly modify formal sitting) I don't use a cushion, nor did the Buddha as far as I know. I usually do this in the middle of the night. That sitting on the floor capacity comes from my daily exercise practice which includes yoga. I also find very quiet mantra chanting helpful. So this is mind, body, speech training.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trikaya

It is not just mind which needs attending to … or we might say 'All is Mind'.
    https://www.lionsroar.com/christof-koch-unites-buddhist-neuroscience-universal-nature-mind/

Alex
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited November 2021

I would say that it is good to accept certain "flexibility" with your meditation practice. For example, I meditate in the morning at an unspecified time, but it must be done before breakfast.

A specific time / boundary is very important and very helpful however. When I meditated with How it boosted my practice so much that it helped me to continue developing and maintaining it on my own. Therefore, to get back in track -or to begin with from scratch- I do agree a specific time helps considerably. It also points out and guides you into considering WHY didn't you meditate as agreed. It could help you to focus on those "obstacles" or "excuses". Shoshin pointed out something very important which is to go beyond the practice in your daily life as life is not just sitting, but just sitting does calibrate and help you to pay better attention... maybe meditation is like those "CC Cleaners" we run on our PCS to smoothen their operations.

.....but what is that that needs to be polished when there is nothing nor no one polishing? Zen stare

Have a great day and good health @Alex !

lobsterAlexShoshin1
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2021

How do you maintain YOUR practice when you’re busy, or down in the dumps, or sick ?

I practice not being busy. I practice in the middle of the dump (we are always surrounded by rubbish) and life is a form of sickness …

Despite this and strangely enough I am never too busy to be alive. Existence is fun as the Buddha maybe forgot to mention in The NT1 (Nobel Prizeless Unwon Truth)

The question is when people say practice, they don't mean 'life as practice' that @Shoshin1 mentions but a sort of stolid duty of sitting.

Why not visualise yourself sitting whilst busy?

AlexFosdick