Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Energy wasted

ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

has happened many times...
The shy little boy who lives locked up in his room chooses almost by command of his own adolescence the path of the mystical outbreak. It is very common between the ages of 15 and 20. They rarely work or study hard, they have a lot of free time.
And now he has a laptop, a phone and all the networks, so he gets in there and he goes on a rampage. He can google anything and at the same time run around in circles at high speed. Without a teacher or instruction he becomes a missile with no trajectory but will inevitably fall and hurt himself. they ignore the Golden Rule number 1: "don't play with your mind".
Whenever it happens and our paths cross I offer help and rigour. I rarely succeed now, in my middle age and far from my young novice fervour.
I am a foot soldier against a tide of teenagers armed with thousands of theories and megabytes of googled information.
It's a bit sad to see history repeating itself. So much young energy wasted.

JeroenlobsterShoshin1Bunks

Comments

  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    "Youth is wasted on the Young."

    G. B. Shaw.

    BunksShanJieshi2Dandelion
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

    @federica said:
    "Youth is wasted on the Young."

    G. B. Shaw.

  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

    @federica said:
    "Youth is wasted on the Young."

    G. B. Shaw.

    I think this is true only from the perspective of the middle-aged.

    ShanJieshi2
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @ShanJieshi2 said:

    @federica said:
    "Youth is wasted on the Young."

    G. B. Shaw.

    My daughter is currently obsessed with not wasting time or missing out on things. Poor kid, it totally stresses her out.
    She came to me the other day and asked “Dad, do you think I wasted my day?” “No darling “ I reply. “Oh good” she says relieved and wanders off.
    If her brother wakes before her I have to go wake her up to ensure he doesn’t get more time awake in the day than she does!

    ShanJieshi2lobsterDandelion
  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

    there is something that young people today call "fear of missing out" or FOMO.
    Maybe it comes from technology and social media, but for older people it doesn't really exist. Except for some feeling of not being late for an event or place.

    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @ShanJieshi2 said:
    there is something that young people today call "fear of missing out" or FOMO.
    Maybe it comes from technology and social media, but for older people it doesn't really exist. Except for some feeling of not being late for an event or place.

    FOMO was something I suffered from growing up and still do to some degree.

    Back when I used to party, I’d always have to be the last to bed in case I missed out on some fun.

    I think it’s accentuated these days though for sure.

  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

    I never really understood why exactly people want “to party”. It always seemed to me to be about music that you can’t listen to properly, girls that its too loud to talk to, or poor quality alcohol. There are better ways to enjoy each of them. What is so special about a party that it should motivate you to stay up until the early morning? Surely a good book and going to bed at a reasonable hour is to be preferred.

  • ShanJieshi2ShanJieshi2 bahia blanca Veteran

    Partying at the right age in summer is more of an uninterrupted flow than a Saturday night peak.
    When the excess comes (and it will) you find yourself going out from Thursday to Sunday, living at night and with future health problems.

    BunksKotishka
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @Jeroen said:
    I never really understood why exactly people want “to party”. It always seemed to me to be about music that you can’t listen to properly, girls that its too loud to talk to, or poor quality alcohol. There are better ways to enjoy each of them. What is so special about a party that it should motivate you to stay up until the early morning? Surely a good book and going to bed at a reasonable hour is to be preferred.

    I certainly agree with this at my current age but in my 20's and 30's partying every weekend was great!

    Happy to pass the baton over to the next generation.....

  • lobsterlobster Veteran

    Ah the three ages of partying:

    Wicca: Maiden, Goddess, Crone
    Buddhism: Prince Shakyamuni, Boy Wander, Buddha

    Party time …

  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

    @Bunks said:

    @Jeroen said:
    I never really understood why exactly people want “to party”. It always seemed to me to be about music that you can’t listen to properly, girls that its too loud to talk to, or poor quality alcohol. There are better ways to enjoy each of them. What is so special about a party that it should motivate you to stay up until the early morning? Surely a good book and going to bed at a reasonable hour is to be preferred.

    I certainly agree with this at my current age but in my 20's and 30's partying every weekend was great!

    Happy to pass the baton over to the next generation.....

    I guess I was old and wise before my time… I’ve always held this opinion, even at age 20 in uni.

    Bunks
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

    You will always find him in the kitchen at parties ;)

    Bunks
Sign In or Register to comment.