Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Timing, discipline, strictness, flow

KotishkaKotishka Veteran
edited August 2022 in Meditation

I'm currently studying Psychology and picking up ANY kind of work I'm able to find. I'm also helping my parents and my partner. Sometimes I was overwhelmed by this, and found that "practice" was impossible. I tried sticking to a group meditation session (for consistency) but my shifting schedules made it so hard that I ended up having to drop out because there was no way. Even my daily practice was being interrupted.

In Spanish, we have a saying: "Quién quiere, puede" "If you want it, you get it". That's the motivation! What's behind the motivation? Wholesomeness, compassion, and hard-work! That last bit is what I forget sometimes in the path. It is hard-work, it is re-wiring your brain, ordering your mind; like cleaning a huge basement. It is not about getting it all cleared -which would be great- but maintaining certain consistencu and also learning how not to clutter up and return to the previous unwholesome / chaotic State.

For my case, I learnt I simply had to go to bed early, wake up earlier. I found quite inspirational this ex-marine called Jocko Wilkins. I know it might not sound very Buddhist / compassionate, but I take his discipline and the physical exercise routine as great aids to my path.

Good day to you all!

marcitkopersonJeroenlobsterDavidShoshin1FleaMarketLBArt23

Comments

• I was overwhelmed and found that "practice" was impossible.

I had only twenty minutes of formal practice time this morning. So …

• qi ong warm up, with a bit of aerobic fast martial strikes

It will do.

Do will do. We all use what we have. For example:

• Shower is the nearest thing to Shingon waterfall meditation. With added bonus of feeding hungry ghost and hell realm offering of washed away negativity …
    • Mindful breathing can be done anywhere, anytime …
    • Half speed movement, gets more done. Strange but true.

🦞💗😇🌈

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Sometimes, we have a period with little practice. Then later, circumstances change and we do a lot of practice. The marks of the dharma stay constant throughout.

LBArt23
  • Oh that @how … so hardcore … absolutely right of course …

• The more we understand as practice, or treat as an opportunity for awareness/attention, the better?

Shoshin1LBArt23
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2022

"Sometimes it's okay if the only thing you did today was breathe"
    I like it, it's like a breath of fresh air....

At times we tend to forget that we have all that we 'need' it's with us 24/7/365...

FleaMarketlobster
  • Don't worry about formality.
    Timing - your personal schedule.
    Duration - up to you
    Positioning - comfortable
    Movements and such - We can't all wrap ourselves up like pretzels, do eexotic movements with our hands and toes while humming Beethoven's 5th in F# and balance a plate upon a straw resting on our nose. Sooo... you do what you personally need to to settle in, if you feel it necessary.
    IT IS ALL SMALL STUFF..
    Don't sweat the small stuff.

Peace and safe travels to all

KotishkaFleaMarketlobster