Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finishing the task: the last 5-10%

marcitkomarcitko Veteran
edited June 2023 in Diet & Habits

Hello everyone,

I have been noticing for many years now that I have trouble finishing a job - the last 5-10% of it. I will frequently (not always) stop and postpone or experience discomfort as if the last 10% is as difficult as, say, the previous 40%. This then results in either anxiety (if I postpone) or tiredness (if I expend too much psychological energy).

This could be while running, washing dishes, tapering off smoking, a work-task, meditating, anything really.

While running, my cousin makes a point of going maximum effort in the last stretch. Is this a good way (in all contexts)?

Do you experience this phenomenon? Any sage advice on how to make finishing tasks easier?

Thanks!

Jeroen

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

To be honest, I’m better at starting tasks than at finishing them. But I have been good in the past at finishing things if there was a good structure in place, like a task-tracking system. So that’s one thing I would recommend, making a checklist with a time estimate for how long each task is supposed to take, and then checking things off.

The thing I find most difficult is open-ended tasks, where things have to meet a certain quality bar and you have to determine yourself what the quality level should be like for a given piece of work.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@marcitko said:
    Hello everyone,

I have been noticing for many years now that I have trouble finishing a job - the last 5-10% of it. I will frequently (not always) stop and postpone or experience discomfort as if the last 10% is as difficult as, say, the previous 40%. This then results in either anxiety (if I postpone) or tiredness (if I expend too much psychological energy).

This could be while running, washing dishes, tapering off smoking, a work-task, meditating, anything really.

While running, my cousin makes a point of going maximum effort in the last stretch. Is this a good way (in all contexts)?

Do you experience this phenomenon? Any sage advice on how to make finishing tasks easier?

Thanks!

I never finish books or movies. And sometimes when I’m posting online I’ll just…

person
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2023

When a task to be done is chosen, the manner in which we relate to it, often reflects the conditioned behaviors of our ego's storyline.

One way to lessen such machinations is to place just enough attention on the present moment of one's task, that the conditioning related to our identities stake in the task no longer dominates how we do it.

Here, a potentially hurried or procrastinating mentality over the completion of a task gives way to a single mind/body addressing of the task in each moment, where a task's finish
    can occur on its own without our ego getting unnecessarily enabled in the process.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I have an experience similar to @Jeroen and find that putting things on a list to be done helps me finish them, or even get to them. Something about the simple reward of ticking a box seems to help.