Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Healthy Habits

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

6 Healthy Habits of a Buddhist Monk

In summary:

1. Go to bed on time
  2. Wake up early
  3. Exercise regularly
  4. Moderation in eating
  5. Keep clean and tidy
  6. Meditate every day
lobsterShoshin1marcitko

Comments

1. Go to bed on time

✔️ 1 AM or PM … time is relative

1. Wake up early

✅ I hope I WINS THIS ONE is 3:49 but not everywhere 🤓

1. Exercise regularly

Brain, freedom and body (full marks on that one)

1. Moderation in eating

3 meals a day x - I am glutton - FAIL

1. Keep clean and tidy

Keep it where? Had hair cut and wore minimum clothes yesterday. I am on a winning streak ✅

1. Meditate every day

Just finished that. I am practically nun material? 🏳️‍⚧️

Shoshin1Bunks
  • I like what he says at the beginning of the video...

"A mind that is not well trained, suffering will follow
    A mind that is well trained, happiness and peace will follow"

~Nick Keomahavong~

A simple truth...

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Shoshin1 said:
    I like what he says at the beginning of the video...

"A mind that is not well trained, suffering will follow
    A mind that is well trained, happiness and peace will follow"

~Nick Keomahavong~

A simple truth...

My experience has been different, I’ve found that training is the death of real intelligence. Training is the instilling of certain habits and automatisms, which leads to functioning at a lower level of awareness. In order to be more aware, more in the moment, one should learn to disregard the automatisms that society trains into one.

Shoshin1
  • @Jeroen said:

My experience has been different, I’ve found that training is the death of real intelligence. Training is the instilling of certain habits and automatisms, which leads to functioning at a lower level of awareness. In order to be more aware, more in the moment, one should learn to disregard the automatisms that society trains into one.

It's all about the middle way @Jeroen and not taking things to the extremes ...

From what I gather, a well trained mind just means a more skillful one ... one which is more aware/sharp/alert/attentive to the moment...

I see practicing the Dharma as a form of mind training/sharpening ones skills( or if you like real intelligence) so to speak ...nothing more ...nothing less....

IdleChaterlobsterSteve_B
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Shoshin1 said:

@Jeroen said:

It's all about the middle way @Jeroen and not taking things to the extremes ...

From what I gather, a well trained mind just means a more skillful one ... one which is more aware/sharp/alert/attentive to the moment...

I see practicing the Dharma as a form of mind training/sharpening ones skills( or if you like real intelligence) so to speak ...nothing more ...nothing less....

You can start redefining the words, but ultimately that doesn’t help. I’m merely presenting a differing point of view, that in some cases the middle way has not been helpful. For example in renouncing things, or in the five precepts, or the noble truths. One has to apply one’s intelligence to see when the middle way is a good solution.

Training in many cases is asking someone to apply a set of rules, and rules are a dead form of thinking. It has been codified into something solid, unresponsive. It is better to encourage people to think for themselves, to engage in dialogue, to apply insight with clarity and compassion.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2023

I usually think of the word "training" as that consistent effort of being present where one's past habituated inclinations of the ego or our identity commonly oppose being so.

lobsterShoshin1
  • IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    I’ve found that training is the death of real intelligence.

I'm not so sure.

I think that intelligence is something you either have or don't have. Training can't kill it, really, but it can enable you to use your intelligence in specific ways. Or not.

Have you ever looked into Lojong? It's a collection of slogans that are used to train the mind. One such slogan reads, "Regard all dharmas as dreams." (dharmas meaning phenomena). You can study, analyze and practice (train) this slogan until it becomes second nature. It does not kill intelligence. If anything, it relies on intelligence.

A number of teachers have written handbooks for this discipline. Among them are Trungpa, Pema Chödrön, and Osho.

Shoshin1
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited August 2023

Discipline is freedom. Flexibility is freedom: rising early, sleeping enough, eating well, exercising regularly (or at least keeping active) and meditating daily. Sounds as clear as water being essential for life!

Some people might do otherwise and lead great and happy lifes, but the following guidelines are a good starting point.

Some people will benefit, some will not.
    This is our world. Nothing constant, constant change; yet amongst all these waves a few regularities do arise.

Bunks
  • Where some find joy in a structured garden, others find it in the wild mess. Weeds to some, flowers to others. In the end, on this planet, Mother Nature trains all.

Today I don't think structure is for me. Though I find those who keep it admirable.

Bunks
  • From what I gather we are conditioned creatures... Creatures of habit who are in the habit of doing habitual thing...And old habits die hard...

In the long run it's a case of different stokes for different folks...whatever keeps one's raft afloat...

Bunks
  • Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited August 2023

@Shoshin1 said:

I think zeroing in on real intelligence, as Shoshin is doing here, is a very important point.

But real intelligence is really not so easy to define, and I think lack of clarity in the definition leads to some of the disparities in thought/expression we're seeing in this conversation. But I think we'd agree that intelligence and creativity are two different things. Even if we can't define them with precise semantics, I think we all understand the difference between them.

And it's that word, creativity, that I think belongs in some of the thoughts above. If I were to take rigid disciplined training in a specific realm, assuming that I would be inclined to put up with such, then I think intelligence would help me in the training, or at least not hinder the training and not be impacted/reduced by the training. But creativity, on the other hand, would more likely be vulnerable to training, in a negative way. If I am trained "do it THIS way" or "think about it THIS way" then that is mutually exclusive with creativity but synergistic with intelligence.

I'm not saying formal training is bad; quite the contrary. In many many instances it is the only viable path. For example, many decades ago I trained in calculus. I didn't CREATE calculus of course; I'm not Newton or Leibnitz. Calculus was very well developed, and the methods of teaching it highly refined, long before I ever walked into that classroom. My task was simply to become schooled in its ways.

Some marvel that The Beatles were able to create such rich beautiful music despite a complete lack of music training or even the ability to read and write notation. But The Beatles themselves said that their creativity was specifically BECAUSE of their lack of training. No formally trained musician would ever have started that staccato Em violin riff in Eleanor Rigby with an A on the downbeat. We have that beautiful piece in our world because of creativity and a lack of training.

I don't think there's a universal Yes or No whether training is valuable or desirable. It depends on the desired outcome. If I want to create a grand painting in a new style all my own, and I have a vision of it in my head, then I'm not going to put up with you standing next to me telling me how to blend the colors on my palette. On the other hand, if I want to pass the geography exam, then yes, please do tell me all the questions that will be on the exam, and all the answers, and I'll memorize them before the exam; no creativity needed. Thank you professor.

So, how does this apply to Life? I think the Middle Way is for when you just want to get peacefully down the path without abrading your shoulders on the fringes. De-dukkhanate your vocabulary, stay on the centerline, keep smiling, lay off the late parties and intoxicants, and get a haircut. I think for most of us, this is the best path for most of the things we encounter. But if you want to BUILD a path, rather than be guided down the old one, then don't let yourself get molded by rote. Bump into walls. Bash through them. Revel in the ecstasy. But you won't want to do this for everything (some people won't want to do it this way for ANYTHING). For most things, just listen to the shaved-head guy in the robe, and things will go more easily. He is passing the wisdom of the centuries on to you. Heed well.

Shoshin1FleaMarketBunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Most of the time we need to learn the techniques before we can forget the techniques and be creative. Its possible to jump right in from the start and make something valuable and unique but we can also spend all our time recreating the wheel.

Like anything though we can interact with the teachings, or habits rigidly or creatively. People have differing dispositions and will benefit variously, depending as well on where one is on their path, rather than there being one true way for all people at all times.

Shoshin1
  • @IdleChater said:
    Have you ever looked into Lojong?

… some of my and the Dalai Lamas favourite teachings
    https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-masters/geshe-langri-thangpa/eight-verses-training-mind

IdleChaterFleaMarket