Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

From the non-dual book pile…

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited September 2023 in Faith & Religion

I recently ‘inherited’ a trove of books on non-duality, and I thought it might be interesting to discuss some of the people and what they say.

I came across a book by this man, Darryl Bailey, who I found quite sympathetic. It was only when I listened to a talk of his that I heard about his extensive background as a Buddhist monk under Ajahn Sumedho. In any case, he talks about the impermanence of things, how this means that things have no permanent form and are really constantly changing. He talks about how impermanence affects thoughts, and the desire for pleasure.

He talks about how examining impermanence can bring you to the realisation that the universe is a mystery, made of constantly moving and evolving matter without permanent forms, and that the acceptance of a world without form can bring change to the thoughts that are trying to describe form, and so ultimately freedom and peace.

Here is the YouTube talk…

Shoshin1

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 2023

Just to add something that I see people miss sometimes when talking about emptiness, non self and impermanence. I think you're probably aware, but it wasn't specifically spelled out and I suppose its a bit of philosophical pedantry on my part.

"Things" aren't just impermanent and ever changing. Even if we were to take a snap shot in time of something, it still wouldn't be "thing" in its own right. At every point any thing is made up of other things, which are made up of other things, and so on.

So less this

And more this

The "thing" isn't changing, all the parts that make it up are shifting and changing.

suigen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A bit more from Darryl Bailey — apparently he is Canadian — in this interview he talks more about the formlessness of things. I really enjoyed this one.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2023

I’ve been reading another book from my non-dual book pile, Nisargadatta Maharaj’s Consciousness and the Absolute, which was made from talks not long before his death, covering the period 1980-1981. In there Nisargadatta comes to the conclusion that he is not consciousness after all, that consciousness rather is just a concept and indistinguishable from the everything, which he calls the absolute.

In a way it is rather similar to Darryl Bailey above, in his vision of the everything as being one giant whole… I think what speaks to me particularly is the modern quantum physics perspective of everything as an unfolding process.

The other thing that he talks about quite a lot is that the body is food for consciousness, without the body there is no presence.

Today I have been reading Ajahn Chah, and in many ways, it has come as a breath of fresh air after all the digging into gaming stuff I had been doing (which fosters a lot of attachment).

So one quote I came across was “alternate systems of teaching are fine as long as they foster relinquishment.” And I thought it might be good to look at these writings in response to that.

First of all, a belief that the world is an ever-changing Mystery is good for letting go of physical possessions, the body, the mind… it challenges a lot of established thinking about what physical things actually are, and it’s a good opportunity to let go of them.

That is the good side of it. The downside is if you start identifying yourself with this Mystery, which would be rather a thinking mistake because you obviously can’t control very much of it, so how can you be it?

edited September 2023

From the thread “There is no purpose, only love” in which I talked some about the Tony Parsons books that I found in the non-dual book pile…

@Jeroen said:
    But [Tony Parsons] also says that the thing that moves us is love, that death, life, desire and fear are all about love. It made sense to me, I found it a powerful insight because it suddenly became clear that a lot of the things I desired and feared were about love or losing love.

I think this is true, when I went into computer games when I was 25 it was also because it was something I loved doing, and that determined much of my adult life, including my breakdown. Just a few years ago when I decided to buy a house with my mother and stepfather which was also a turning point in my life, that was also about love.

It’s interesting to look at the ways in which love moves us, throughout our lives. In a way it is all that really matters, whether you have acknowledged and followed love in your life. Love is not passion or lust, it is something gentler and more mysterious.

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

I wanted you to know that, because of this topic, I read Darryl Bailey's books. Reading it gave me profound insight, for which I am grateful. Thanks.

Jeroen

@Rodrigo said:
    I wanted you to know that, because of this topic, I read Darryl Bailey's books. Reading it gave me profound insight, for which I am grateful. Thanks.

That makes my day, cheers. I’m just leafing through this big pile of non-dual books, some of it is unexpectedly good like Darryl Bailey and Tony Parsons, but some of it is proving dense and not very accessible. I thought I’d put some comments on the highlights of it all in this thread mostly for the sake of having a record of it, I’m pleased someone has gotten something from it.

The thing is, classic non-duality has some links to Hinduism, when you read through Balsekar or Nisargadatta, and that tackles subjects like sadhana, puja’s, reciting the names of God, and so on. The more modern neo non-duality is much cleaner and simpler, but there are still some good insights to be found in it.

I was reading some more Tony Parsons today, and the core of his message seems to be that there is no-one there, that a body just creates an illusion of separateness but from an awakened perspective he sees that pretty much everyone is already at some level awakened. It’s cool that he keeps on repeating the message that there is no-one, there is only oneness.

A lot of his discussions with people who come to his talks are about working out the details of this. A lot of people are still talking from the old paradigm.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

This channel usually sticks closer to verified science, there is some research offered though regarding a universal consciousness. The speaker is the Columbia psychologist and spirituality researcher Lisa Miller.

Jeroen

Really interesting, @person. The talk about the Schumann resonance and alpha waves in the brain is very “on point” as far as the whole idea of oneness is concerned. It seems that the spiritual universe is vast, with many different resonances.

edited October 2023

This mornings perusing is through a volume of Mooji teachings, called Breath of the Absolute:

Frankly, I once believed that too, but then I saw that most people are looking for fulfillment of their projections. That in reality they are in their heads and the mind only pretends to want freedom. But in fact it doesn’t want Freedom at all. That’s the last thing it wants, because Freedom kills conditioned thinking.

Mooji on whether more people want freedom

To me this makes a lot of sense. Ultimately the desire for freedom leads to the breakdown of structure, structures of thought and structures of society in which human beings are caught. The mind is not in favour of that.

There is no path. This is the ultimate Truth. As this insight deepens, there is a great feeling of relief. Here you are not told that you have to be suitable for this journey, that you have to meditate daily, that you have to be dedicated or strong. Such advice only imposes tasks on you before you have even started your search. The lack of any spiritual practice in Advaita is the main difference compared to many other directions, which are based on the assumption that you are your mind, that you are bound and that you have to do something to become free. Advaita shows you right from the start that who you really are is always free. You are immediately reminded of the always perfect and immutable reality of Being — your own true Self. First of all: discover the Truth and then do what makes your heart happy.

Mooji on Advaita

I’ve heard this from a few different sources, that non-duality imposes no criteria and makes no demands. There is only the Truth. Of course as written there are a few areas where it differs from commonly held Buddhist belief — for example Self with a capital letter as shorthand for what Nisargadatta in his final book called the Absolute. It is a holdover from the Hindu roots of the original Advaita Vedanta, which Mooji retains through his lineage from Papaji and Ramana Maharshi.

In the phrase “There is no Path” you may also hear echoes of Jiddu Krishnamurti and U.G. Krishnamurti, they would say kind of similar things. Osho too, in his insistence that man was unique and that no path could ever lead one to meditation, that it was just a knack one had to discover. A lot of these teachings of modern spirituality are related. But just to read the words is enough to put me in a very particular space…

There is a Christian tradition, Lectio Divinorum which is the meditative reading of holy words, which this reminds me of.

edited October 2023

I’m continuing reading through Mooji’s book, he talks a lot about the ‘I Am’ feeling, and also just Being. In that he is somewhat similar to Ramana Maharshi, I personally connect more to those who say there is no self. But I can’t deny that even in dreams there seems to be one being who sees and hears. So perhaps on some level there is some kind of ‘I’.

There was a section on control and the relationship between mind and control which I found interesting. The whole idea of giving up strategies seems like a good plan, because strategies and control are ultimately a kind of limiting death-grip of planned outcomes that the mind tries to impose on Being. Or at least, that is what Mooji’s dual chapters on control and strategies evoke in me.

The Mooji book has a lot of short chapters, you have to digest it a piece at a time. There is a lot of modern neo-Advaita in there, in the form of advice to seekers, and sometimes short speeches which are standalone. The introduction suggests reading the book in loose, unconnected chapters more or less randomly selected.

There is a chapter about how to experience pain and peace, even when they come at the same time. It is illustrative of the sort of question that comes from certain seekers on the path who are struggling with an issue that’s physical or part of the body-mind, and seek a spiritual solution to that.

In the books of the Indian sages like what remains of Ramana Maharshi’s speech, there are many more religious queries, such as whether it is good to do spiritual practices. It is more an older mode of thinking that many people still had in those times. The questions that Mooji seems to field are more practical, down to earth.

There is also a piece on the ease of the search, that in a way many seekers seem to want realisation but they want it in pill-form, so that it will be easy and without pain and discomfort. He talks about how some people feel threatened by the process of inquiring within, who exactly experiences.

edited October 2023

Q: I am a teacher by profession, but the structures in schools are academic in nature and based on the mind. I have come to a deeper level. My dilemma is: will I stay or will I follow what's going on in me, or is there anything in between?

A: The answer is very clear to me. You have to take the calling of your Heart seriously and you have to do that completely, and not try to swim and walk on the beach at the same time. That is not possible. Sometimes the dilemma gets bigger when you feel like you shouldn't shy away from the challenge: it should still be possible to bring more heart quality into this environment. But that doesn't have to be what is asked of you.
    Let go, as much as the vocation allows you and go to a deeper level of understanding and insight. Really surrender to that Force, which has already set in motion the vocation and attraction towards it. Our limited human cognition cannot fathom the depth of Her wisdom.

(From Mooji’s Breath of the Absolute)

I thought this was an interesting passage, because I have often wondered whether a calling was trying to move me, mostly in the last decade when I was moving deeper into spirituality. I’ve often felt that my past history in games has held me fast to the mind, rather than allowing me to move with the heart and the wider Beyond, which I have at times experienced.

Combining a life in a developed country including the need to earn a living wage with a spiritual calling has quite a few practical difficulties.

edited October 2023

Apparently Mooji arranges a trip every so often to the mountain Arunachala in southern India, where the teacher of his teacher Ramana Maharshi stayed all his life. The mountain has a special energy, and Ramana used to say that the mountain was his teacher. So during one of Mooji’s trips there were some discussions with travellers, and these are included in the book.

It’s odd, a lot of this book is more down to earth than a lot of spiritual searching, the real life concerns of money and how to treat it during one’s spiritual evolution come to the fore as well, including Mooji’s own experiences in London back when he was evolving.

In the end I didn’t get a really clear spiritual vibe from this book - it seemed somewhat bitty and repetitive.

I’ve taken up another book from the non-dual trove, titled Sailor Bob Adamson: Life and Teachings by Kalyani Lawry. It is part biography and part recorded teachings, I’ve just quickly skimmed the biography and gone to the start of the teachings, which seem promising.

Bob Adamson seemed to have had a pretty extensive spiritual background, spending time with Swami Muktananda, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and others. He was in the Australian navy in 1946, not long after the Second World War, so he was of the pre-war generation. He was Australian.

edited October 2023

I am going to take a break from this material for a while. It seems to me that a lot of these teachers like Tony Parsons insist there is “nobody” within and to me this seems in a certain way disrespectful to the body and to a natural way of living. What comes to me is that whether there is “someone” or whether there is “no-one” is immaterial, one shouldn’t try to figure it out, and it is more important to just be, and not to attempt to force a knowledge inside that does not already exist within.

The Buddha also declined to answer certain topics. In a way, it is an acknowledgement for me that some of these ideas are not necessary for a deeper evolution. That Being in a natural way, once you strip away the conditioned layers, is more healthy than trying to apprehend the truth of the universe through a kind of neti-neti approach. It’s a certain sensitivity that seems to live with me.

A bit of Mooji in the morning… I like these videos more than the book…

So I read something from this group of books today, which was a short book called Integral Zen by Maurice Knegtel. It is a book on a type of everyday zen, about how zen can be lived in normal life. Maurice was a Zen monk for a while, and he also tells in short segments throughout the book about his attempt to start an organisation called Izen, which was set up to teach people to live with a kind of integral zen.

It seems to all come down to the attitude that you bring to your workplace and to your home. If you treat these places as holy, hallowed ground, then you are bringing the attitude of zen into your daily life, so relates Maurice. He calls Izen and it’s teachings a post-religious movement. In the books final chapter he relates how he received Dharma transmission from his Roshi.

This book raised some interesting questions for me, about the everyday, the spiritual, about humbleness and pride, about Buddha nature and being the Buddha in yourself.

edited October 2023

I’ve started a new volume from the pile today, called The Mystery Experience by Tim Freke. It seems promising, in that it focuses on the experience of awakening in quite a different way. The author claims to have awakened at the age of 12, and that he has been fortunate enough to see many people awaken in the 20 years after that. He talks about the Wow experience, about wonder, and… well I’ll come back to it. Not strictly non-duality. Good stuff.

Seems he is quite a well-known author about topics like Jesus and the Goddess, the gnostics, the pharaohs and so on. He is more a spiritual philosopher, with 35 books to his credit. So it’s perhaps not so surprising that he might write and talk about awakening.

A little Mooji in the evening… this talk conveys well his gentleness, I thought

Shoshin1

In this talk, I went to bed after taking a shower, clean and fresh, and just listened to the spaces between his words. He definitely has a certain something, an energy.

Shoshin1

@Jeroen said:
    I’ve started a new volume from the pile today, called The Mystery Experience by Tim Freke. It seems promising, in that it focuses on the experience of awakening in quite a different way.

I’m in two minds about Freke and his book. I got a little further into it. On the one hand he talks about the ‘wow’ moment, which appeals to me because it seems like he has something, and then he goes and talks about deep this and deep that and starts conjuring with words which is just so much flim-flam and not the real thing.

I’m going to give it another go, maybe skim-read a few chapters to see if he comes to the point a little further in, he is a pretty decent writer which is generally a good sign. But the way he swings concepts around looks like he wants to build a picture in your mind rather than come to talking about the core of mystical experience.

• @Jeroen said:
    In this talk, I went to bed after taking a shower, clean and fresh, and just listened to the spaces between his words. He definitely has a certain something, an energy.

I like Mooji's talks...always food for thought to chew over...

Jeroen

@Jeroen said:
    I’m going to give it another go, maybe skim-read a few chapters

I’ve gone a little further, now reached 75 pages in, and he has taken a bunch of examples from science and showed how they fit mystical experience. I find this interesting because rather than talking directly about mysticism he is preparing the mind to accept certain things. It’s the reverse of the way a real mystic writes. I’ll persist with the book a little further.