Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Walking Meditation

KotishkaKotishka Veteran
edited November 2023 in Meditation

Walking meditation is misrepresented!

Sitting is the absolute favourite, no doubt. People associate meditation to the cushion, not to walking. But it is such a powerful practice.

This morning, early, I felt like meditating and began walking in shashu. I noticed the same though I felt less agitated and uncomfortable than sitting. I guess the walking does soothe a bit the mental fantasy and the discomfort it faces when you need to remain still.

What is your experience? Any advice?

marcitkoShoshin1VastmindJeroenIdleChater

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Ajahn Chah advised monks to train all the four basic postures: lying down, sitting, standing and walking. He said this advice came from the Buddha, that the idea was to make them all good.

Shoshin1lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Walking meditation is a fundamental tool in extending one's development of meditation from physical stillness into the activity of daily life.
    Ya know, for all those times when meditation within some form of life's movement is what's called for.
    It also helps the practitioner learn how to not limit the activity of meditation to some external dependence upon a state of physical stillness.

Shoshin1VastmindKotishkalobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

I prefer walking to sitting…any day
    I first learned this technique at Magnolia Grove, taught by TNH. It changed everything for me.
    🙏🏻

Shoshin1lobster
  • It has been said that meditation practice begins when one leaves the cushion...

VastmindlobsterIdleChater
  • My main meditation these days is loving-kindness. I find that doing loving-kindness when out and about (walking on the street, in public transport, in a shop...) is even better than during formal sitting + it gives me something productive to do while "having nothing to do". I like it very much and am grateful for it.

Vastmind
  • Right feet down, left feet down...

So much day dreaming.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

• walk slower. sit taller. Chew mindfulness.

I likes walking, so much to see, hear and witness. I also walk fast for health. If you are a punk Buddhist; POGO! 🤓

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran
    edited November 2023

@Shoshin1 said:
    It has been said that meditation practice begins when one leaves the cushion...

Yes, and that's true. However, in this saying, "Cushion" is a figure of speech.

• @Kotishka said:
    Walking meditation is misrepresented!

Sitting is the absolute favourite, no doubt. People associate meditation to the cushion, not to walking. But it is such a powerful practice.

This morning, early, I felt like meditating and began walking in shashu. I noticed the same though I felt less agitated and uncomfortable than sitting. I guess the walking does soothe a bit the mental fantasy and the discomfort it faces when you need to remain still.

What is your experience? Any advice?

In the Shambhala tradition as well as some Kagyu group with ties, walking meditation is included in group practices longer than 30 minute. In group sessions, every 25 minutes or so, the Umdze calls walking meditation for about 5 minutes. It serves to give the meditators a leg stretch, while maintaining meditation. Plus, it's good practice.

I used to do walking meditation on the walk from the bus stop after work to my house - about 20 minutes. There was a small park with a stream about half way. I would stop and do sitting practice next to the stream for about 20 minutes, using the water as an object.

Shoshin1lobster