Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metta Ray Burns

Dear Friends of the Maitreya,

... or Metta 'RayBurns' Future AI Buddha.

As we may know, orthodox Judaism is still awaiting Brian or some other Messiah, Jesuits are awaiting 'The Comforter', Islamists the Mahdi and Lobsters the landing of the flying teapot.

Meanwhile ... Using our current skill set, what can we prepare for our dharma descendants?

1. Be Cool
  2. Be aware of what is important
  3. Support the new Jewels
  4. Repair the present

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well we could try to create a Buddha artificial intelligence, by training an AI on all the sutras of the Buddha and surrounding texts.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Ah Ha! @Jeroen a long terma plan comes into being ... <3

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A lot of the software is open source, and a lot of English-language sutras are available on the internet… the only thing I’m not sure about is whether this is a large enough database of text to train an AI on. You may have to take other Buddhist writings from people besides the Buddha into the project.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Yep, pinch of Zen, spattering of Wu-wei and a whole load of AI emptiness (must be either enlightened or completely non-sentient)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 9

@Jeroen said:
    Well we could try to create a Buddha artificial intelligence, by training an AI on all the sutras of the Buddha and surrounding texts.

Don't hold your breath. ;)
    I regularly hear about the complete and utter failures of so called, Generative AI. However your plan is a good one for any of us.

I spend a lot of time with computers. They are far from sentient and more insensitive. I still believe the next Buddha will be a sentient melding of us and cyber enhancement. Early days ... B)

Been hanging out with some Bodhi and assorted Buddhists here today ...
    https://matrix.to/#/#buddhism-nonsectarian:matrix.org

DagobahZen

Tsk, tsk. Lobster teasing the poor chat-room Buddhists by saying Buddhism is nihilism.

lobsterDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

What happened is some early followers/sangha misunderstood his teaching on Emptiness and committed suicide. He had to clarify that his teaching WAS NOT nihilistic. I am not really there for the Dharma chat ... Anyway I am naughty to suggest that Tantra is a little controversial.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Meanwhile ... here is a short film montage on Kathmandu, Nepal ...
    https://makertube.net/w/9R3sELLJjZyVoxAVFK3rCu

@lobster said:

@Jeroen said:

Don't hold your breath. ;)
    I regularly hear about the complete and utter failures of so called, Generative AI. However your plan is a good one for any of us.

I just asked the Gemini chat AI whether it had read the Pali Cannon. This was its answer…

=====

“I haven't read the Pali Canon in the same way a human would. I can't directly experience the world or have my own interpretations. However, I do have access to a vast amount of information, including the complete Pali Canon in digital form.

I can access and process information from the Pali Canon, including:

• The content of the sutras, including the teachings attributed to the Buddha and his disciples.
    • The different Nikayas (collections) within the Pali Canon.
    • Translations and interpretations of the sutras by various scholars.

If you have any questions about the Pali Canon, I can try my best to answer them using the information I have access to.

For example, I can help you with:

• Finding specific passages in the Pali Canon
    • Understanding the different interpretations of particular teachings
    • Learning about the historical context of the Pali Canon

Is there anything specific you'd like to know about the Pali Canon?”