Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Aristotle Knew About Oligarchy That We Forgot

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient BeingOceania Veteran
edited September 16 in General Banter

How do the wealthy few come to rule, and why does it matter? Aristotle tackled these questions 2300 years ago, and his answers are still eye-opening today.

In this video, we explore Aristotle's book "Politics," where he breaks down different types of government, including oligarchy - when the rich call the shots. Aristotle didn't just theorize; he studied 158 constitutions from Greek city-states and beyond, giving us deep insights into how governments really work.

Following our last video on tyranny, we now turn to oligarchy, another system Aristotle saw as problematic. We'll examine how leadership based on merit can gradually shift into rule by the wealthy, and the various forms this can take. Aristotle's keen observations help us spot the signs of wealth steering the ship of state, even in seemingly democratic systems.

We'll also discuss Aristotle's thoughts on the fall of oligarchies. How did these regimes topple if money speaks louder than the voices of ordinary citizens? Aristotle's analysis of how money and power intertwine is as relevant now as it was in ancient Greece. His insights shed light on political dynamics that continue to shape our world today.

"Wealth is like saltwater, the more we drink, the more we thirst."

~Schopenhauer~

Hmm, food for thought...

Jeroen

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Somebody calculated that in 2007 dollars, it cost approximately 7 million dollars for a 30-year-old to live out one’s life in relative comfort. Any earnings beyond that could comfortably be taxed at 100%.

Such a system would liberate vast wealth to be put back into a starter fund for everyone, decreasing the reliance on inheritance as a form of wealth transfer, and finally bringing a measure of equality to all young adults starting life in their twenties.

We don’t actually need more money, we don’t need overpriced luxury items, we don’t need private jets or yachts or super cars, it is all conspicuous consumption.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 17

I would like a large estate tax over about 10 million. I think there is merit behind the notion of people being able to keep the fruits of their efforts. I think its a motivating force to develop the innovations that help us progress. I don't think the children of very successful people are particularly deserving. Being able to provide opportunity to one's children acts as a driver for people to be productive and prosperous. However, if your children have 10 million in seed money and all the connections they could possibly want you've done that and passing on more wealth only serves to establish an aristocracy.

If we truly see ourselves as wanting to be a meritocratic system, access to the opportunities wealth provides needs to be more equally distributed to give the gifted, but less fortunate the pathways to success and avoid the affirmative action of wealth and power.

Jeroen
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

It's interesting how the seeds of greed sprout... The Oligarchs plant the greed seeds in the minds of the gullible and nurture and grow them with promises of great wealth...
    The minds are in the grips of greed, wealth at any cost, when in fact they will only get the scrapes, the leftovers which the oligarchs allow, just enough to keep gullible minds wanting more.

@Shoshin1 said:
    It's interesting how the seeds of greed sprout... The Oligarchs plant the greed seeds in the minds of the gullible and nurture and grow them with promises of great wealth...
    The minds are in the grips of greed, wealth at any cost, when in fact they will only get the scrapes, the leftovers which the oligarchs allow, just enough to keep gullible minds wanting more.

I suppose I really don't know, but from my perspective its a too conspiratorial and fixed pie view. I doubt the secret society of oligarchs and their 4 dimensional psyops. And its too zero-sum a view of the economy, the pie can grow. It isn't a fixed amount only to be distributed fairly or not.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

@person said:

I suppose I really don't know, but from my perspective its a too conspiratorial and fixed pie view. I doubt the secret society of oligarchs and their 4 dimensional psyops. And its too zero-sum a view of the economy, the pie can grow. It isn't a fixed amount only to be distributed fairly or not.

I think you may have miss the point. It’s not about shadowy figures behind the scenes, but about the visible, institutionalised ways that elites protect their wealth and power. And while the economy can grow, growth alone doesn’t solve the problem of inequality, which often deepens unless there’s conscious intervention to ensure that growth benefits society as a whole.

The current system is structured to favour profit over people's well-being. Economic growth can still occur, but the focus should shift toward ensuring that 'everyone' benefits, especially in sectors that are as critical as healthcare.

lobster

@Shoshin1 said:

@person said:

I think you may have miss the point. It’s not about shadowy figures behind the scenes, but about the visible, institutionalised ways that elites protect their wealth and power. And while the economy can grow, growth alone doesn’t solve the problem of inequality, which often deepens unless there’s conscious intervention to ensure that growth benefits society as a whole.

The current system is structured to favour profit over people's well-being. Economic growth can still occur, but the focus should shift toward ensuring that 'everyone' benefits, especially in sectors that are as critical as healthcare.

This a different sort of statement than your previous and the point being made is different.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Expropriate the expropriators, I say.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

@Jason said:
    Expropriate the expropriators, I say.

We Haz plan!
    I'll join! :mrgreen:

Expropriate means to:
    Take away money or property, especially for public use without payment to the owner, or for personal use illegally.
    Dispossess a person of ownership.
    Take something from another's possession for one's own use.
    Officially take away private property from its owner for public use

Welcome to the Rebel Alliance B)
    I will be in the future, planning for contingencies...
    https://social.coop/about