Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spammers that mean well, and how we deal with them

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited August 2016 in NewBuddhist.com
This is an old post from 2009 that needs to be revisited. Enjoy:

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Uhm an interesting read, and I guess I have to plead guilty without having meant to do it.

You see I joined about two days ago, and in my introductory post I spoke about my blog which is a simply my personal space where I'm writing down stuff about my own journey.

I only posted my link because it's about who I am that's all so it seemed appropriate at the time.

I did not think of it, until read your post, and I see your point. With that in mind, I wonder if I should go back and edit my original introduction and save that for another day?

I certainly don't want to start on a bad note here.

ivan
    Tosh
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    That won't be necessary.

It's really aimed at those whose sole purpose and pre-determined intention in registering, is to advertise some profit-making venture (in which they possibly have a vested interest) and whose only aim is to submit that self-publicising post, never to return.
    You've posted twice more, and now here, too.
    And what's more, you haven't added your "publicity" to your signature (although I hope you have included the information in your profile!)

so I personally thank you for clarifying and "'Fessin' up" but it's nice to have you with us, and I hope you'll stick around and post, join in, explore, investigate, ask questions, answer others and generally make yourself at home!

Ok? ;)
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    That won't be necessary.

It's really aimed at those whose sole purpose and pre-determined intention in registering, is to advertise some profit-making venture (in which they possibly have a vested interest) and whose only aim is to submit that self-publicising post, never to return.
    You've posted twice more, and now here, too.
    And what's more, you haven't added your "publicity" to your signature (although I hope you have included the information in your profile!)

so I personally thank you for clarifying and "'Fessin' up" but it's nice to have you with us, and I hope you'll stick around and post, join in, explore, investigate, ask questions, answer others and generally make yourself at home!

Ok? ;)
    Thank you for your understanding and kind response.

Rest assured I'm here for good. I started the path to Buddha after a lifetime of waiting to open my eyes and follow what I've always known to be right and having a place like this, a global community is an opportunity and a gift that I could never walk away from.

If my passion for Classical Guitar (CG), or my involvement over at delcamp.us (a community just like this but about CG is an example of what I do when I set my mind to it, I can only state the obvious and that is that my journey into Buddhism and what it represents will be 1000 times more intense and meaningful than what I have ever experienced.

I look forward not only to learning, but to share what I learn with others as well.

Thank You!
    ivan
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    This deserves a bump; it's a few years old but it's just as true now as it ever was.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Indeed....
    Thanks for this. Might keep bumping it now and then, for good measure.
  • I guess it would be smart to check with moderators before posting something that may or may not be considered spam...right?
    All joking aside, we've had a spate of really what can only be described as overkill spam.
    Really, we also have to count on steady regular members to be vigilant.
    If you see something you suspect could be classified as spam, just give us a flag wave.
    we can do the rest, but we don't always catch them...and it gets difficult to deal with, if said suspect post has turned into a 4-page thread.....
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    All joking aside, we've had a spate of really what can only be described as overkill spam.
    Really, we also have to count on steady regular members to be vigilant.
    If you see something you suspect could be classified as spam, just give us a flag wave.
    we can do the rest, but we don't always catch them...and it gets difficult to deal with, if said suspect post has turned into a 4-page thread.....
    Eyes are peeled, understood. I read through the threads almost everyday, even though I don't always post that often, so if I notice anything suspect I'll let you know.
  • someone needs to clean out the "Best defense? Don't be there" thread..... big spam area!
    @MaryAnne, for some bizarre reason, I can't find the thread! Give me a link, I'll go 'tidy up'..... :D
    MaryAnne
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/308982/#Comment_308982 is what MaryAnne wants, I THINK. It has been spammed some, though.
    MaryAnne