Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Feeling quite out of place again .... having monks over for food offering

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
I guess in the Thai tradition (I'm not sure about the others - complete n00b), it is customary to invite the monks from your sangha to your home for a food offering. Me being completely american, did not know this until recently (even though I have been attending the temple for two years now)

Okay, so I figured that much out. Now come the logistics.

How to broach the subject

I just finally emailed one of the monks. I said "Would it be appropriate to invite the monks over for lunch for a food offering?" He responded, "yes" and "what day".

I came up with a saturday. He said bad day, I came up with a different saturday, bad day, he came back with a good day. Fine, date settled.

How many monks?

Turns out we have to cook for five monks. No biggie. But if you ever do this, make sure to ask how much food to prepare.

Expectations and etiquette

I'm totally lost. I have no idea what's expected. I have no idea if this is considered a ceremony either. They are also coming to offer their blessing on our new house (even though I've been there for four months now). What do I do? This is so intimidating.

Luckily, Achahn Pimol offered to come over early in the morning to explain things to me and to help us out. Whew.

Although, I feel weird about that too. He is one of the monks, after all, and this is supposed to be an offering to them, yet he'll be helping? What a weird situation for me :banghead:

Oh well, we'll see. I'll just let it go, and try not to worry about it. Consider this thread my blog on the matter. I'll update it as things happen. Hopefully this will make it easier for other new buddhists to make offerings to the monks at their homes.

Sometimes I hate being a trailblazer :grumble: :lol:

Comments

• edited September 2004
    I'll be quite intrested in hearing more about this brian, especially since I've never heard of this practice before.

Don't stress too much... I'm sure that the monks will be understanding that you might not completely understand what you are supposed to be doing ;)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2004
    tycho wrote:
    Don't stress too much... I'm sure that the monks will be understanding that you might not completely understand what you are supposed to be doing ;)

Yeah, you're the one who keeps telling me that after all :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Wish me luck - tomorrow (today?) morning is the big day. 5 monks coming at 10:00 am. It's 3:45 AM and we're both still getting things ready :-/
    edited September 2004
    :eek: Teh monks are in teh house! Good luck!
  • edited September 2004
    Good luck, im sure it will go just fine :)
  • edited September 2004
    good luck dude!
    edited September 2004
    It went really well.

There were some awkward moments, but as I've said before, Thai monks are super easygoing.

It was way more involved than I had thought it would be. I figured this would be a food offering. Turns out it was a whole house blessing ceremony and a sort of Buddhist "baptism" ceremony. Six monks and a layperson came over. Luckily, two monks came before hand to help us explain what was going on and to set up. They started rearranging the furniture and setting up a set of tables with a statue, incense burner, candles, etc. They also brought a water bowl and decanter, a large bronze buddha statue and a really big bronze waterbowl.

This is going to be a long post, so I'm going to split it into multiple posts with pictures. I've gotta run right now so I'll continue it a bit later... :)
  • edited September 2004
    glad to hear that things went/are going well and that they didn't ban you from the temple ;)
    edited September 2004
    So first, two of them came early to help us set up. They brought an altar setup, a beautiful bronze buddha statue, a huge water bowl, a small water decanter, some candles, incense, and various monk stuff :p

After the two monks set everything up, the others came. We had six total.

They totally rearranged my living room so that they could all sit facing us.

First pic: the statue they brought.

Second pic: monks milling around after furniture was moved.
    edited September 2004
    The kids had a blast showing the monks around.

There's something surreal about looking into your backyard and seeing buddhist monks walking around barefoot in by your stream and your pond :lol:
    edited September 2004
    Then, the ceremony.

This was a house blessing and also tracey and I taking the 5 precepts.

We recited the precepts in Pali, and then in english.

We offered incense, water, and fire for the buddha, dhamma, and sangha.

First pic is tracey and I performing the lighting of the incense. Second is me lighting the candles.
    edited September 2004
    Then, the actual blessing ceremony began. The head monk chanted a sutta (I am too ignorant to know which one), and then all the monks together chanted a sutta (again, ignorant). The chanting was probably the best part. When six monks with complementary voices get together in a small room and chant loudly, there are probably not many more beautiful and soothing sounds in the world. Tracey mentioned later that she meditated while they were chanting, and it was the easiest meditation she ever performed, because of the monk's voices.

I should take this time to mention that a seventh person came - he was a Thai guy, a friend of one of the monks and a member of the sangha. I've met him before, but only briefly. He came to sort of help out, sort of translate for us, etc. It was very comforting having him there (he's very americanized, he moved here as a child, and speaks perfect english). He didn't necessarily have to translate language for us (we're getting good at communicating with the monks), but he DID explain a great deal about what was going on, what was next, and what was expected of us. He was totally cool to have around. His name is Channya, but he goes by Mark.

So, after the initial suttas were recited, we did a water blessing, which is where the family pours water during chanting. Perry was the cameraman, so he didn't help out, but me, tracey, and kyle poured the water.

First pic is the monks chanting. Second pic is the water pouring.

Perry is a pretty good cameraman for a 6 year old :lol:
    edited September 2004
    Then came the food offering. Tracey made one of her signature dishes - authentic indian style chicken biriyani, with real poori (puffy homemade bread), steamed broccoli and butter, glazed carrots, a crazy ambrosia/fruit salad thing, and fresh strawberries.

Mark brought over some authentic thai food, which included a whole fish, some bowls of random thai stuff (I'm assuming it was condiments - some kind of fishy hot sauce stuff), and the gut stew that I am beginning to realize is a staple at every thai meal. When I say gut stew, I mean it. It is like .... organ meats, mushed together with some vegetables and greens like mint leaves and cilantro. I think maybe there is some actual beef or something in there, but I could be wrong about that. At any rate, it's not very appetizing to an american. I actually ate it before I realized what it was, at past events. It's not THAT bad, but it doesn't taste great, either. That, combined with the fact that I know what it is now, means I will probably pass on it next time it is offered to me. The normal thai cusine is rife with organ meat. So don't think that when you get thai food at the thai restaurant down the street that you are getting authentic thai food. Be glad that you are getting the americanized version of it :lol:

Anyways, we found out that the monks don't like indian food. However, they ate the crap out of tracey's biriyani. That, and the broccoli. They must have some sort of vitamin deficiency or something because they ate four entire heads of broccoli between the six of them. They were going nuts over plain old broccoli.

They weren't too fond of the carrots, I don't think. Perhaps sweet glazed carrots is as unpalatable to the thai taste as organ meat stew is to ours :eek2:

One of the monks told us afterwards that hers was the first indian food that he has ever enjoyed, and if she could make it again some time. This was a high compliment coming from someone who has been to india on multiple occasions. She was flattered. She learned to cook from an Indian friend of ours, so it's real. I think perhaps the fact that in India, they also have no problem using cheap cuts of meat for their normal food might have something to do with it. Tracey used regular whole chicken breast meat in her biriyani as opposed to chicken skin, bone marrow, and fat :lol: .. That might have had something to do with it.
    edited September 2004
    Being a monk seems like a pretty good life. After they get their choice of food, the laypeople get the leftovers. We have to wait for the monks to finish, as a sign of respect. Then, they go loll around on the couches, play with the dog and the kids, and walk around chill, while we get to eat the scraps that are leftover. Then we have to clean up and prepare for the final chanting. No biggie. They left some of everything, except for the poori. They ate every single one and tracey had to make up some more real quick for me, her, mark, and the boys.

Various pics of monks chilling:
    edited September 2004
    Finally, the "everybody" portrait (except for channya, who was the cameraman).

After the ceremony, kyle said he wanted his head shaved like a monk. So we did it.

All in all, it was a great experience. It was a serious crash course in buddhism, and now tracey and I are "officially" buddhists :)
  • edited September 2004
    prime those pics are great! i'm glad to see that everything went so well. this whole thread is a very interesting lesson on buddhist traditions and whatnot.

the brocoli thing is certainly kinda wierd albeit hilarious

btw, your house is quite nice, i like it (at least what i can see in the pix)
    edited September 2004
    Dude, that was truly awesome. Thanks for sharing that with us.

...and tell Kyle that is a great haircut for me :) That was one of my favorite parts... "He wanted a monk haircut... so we did it". Best parent evar! :D
  • edited October 2004
    Excellent Brian! I look forward to further examples of your family embracing the fundamentals.
    edited December 2004
    I was talking to Tycho last night and he reminded me that I never posted pictures of the statue I got from the temple. They were very generous and presented to my family a rather large bronze buddha statue that is plated with gold.
  • edited December 2004
    Whoa Brian. That statue is amazing. I can't believe that the temple gave that to you. It seems to beg for some surroundings that are just as impressive (good luck with that).

If i was given a statue like that i think i'd feel bad or something.

Thanks for the pic dude.
    edited December 2004
    Yeah, it sort of needs its own room or something, but I don't have one :D

I'll figure out something someday....
  • edited December 2004
    Very cool.... I have a friend that is Buddhist and was born in Laos. His American names is Mark... weird. About 10 years ago, he went back to fulfill his family tradition and became a monk for a year. He really liked it and he seemed to be a changed man afterwards...

I'm very glad your blessing went well....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    What a wonderful experience for you! And so nice to see you and your family 'in the flesh' as it were.... It may be nice for everyone (if they want to) to post a photo, just so we all know what our buddies look like!
    I'm going to investigate a Sangha nearby...it's near a town called Besançon, not 40km away from where we are now. When Nick & I buy our own modest 'bijoux pied à terre', it may be worth considering having a similar ceremony....what a TRAILBLAZER you truly are, Brian - !!
  • edited May 2005
    Brian,

I want to say thanks for sharing your pictures online. It is so nice to actually see who you and your family are. I tried to post a picture of myself but it is too large or does not fit right or something. <SIGH> I was going to use it as my avatar. Oh well! Anyway, thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience with me. I agree; it would be rather surreal to look out in your yard and see Buddhist monks wandering about! LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

Adiana
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I just found this thread. Brian I must say thank you for posting lal of this. I am gettig this feeling of joy in the pit of my stomach. I am finding I am getting these feelings more and more. This site is helping me ot change for the better. Thanks.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    AWESOME thamks!! Just found this and it was quite mindblowing.. does your boy still have his head shaven? i bet there are not too many kids who ask for a haircut to look like a monk, normally it is a crappy film star or something... It was nice to be able to put a face to your name Brian, wish we all could do so.
    edited June 2005
    thanks everyone :)

Kyle no longer has his head shaved that short. Perry, however, has now declared his desire to go on a retreat and be a monk for a few days. Oh how proud I was, until the next part:

"Dad, will I get to be a jedi then?" :lol:
    edited June 2005
    bahahaha, awesome! ;D

//edit: Brian... did you seriously make the lauging face's code "lol"? For shame... for shame. :P
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    arent kids great. i never saw star wars until last year and all this time i thought the dude was |"Dark Vader"....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    In the Christian scriptures, it is said, "A little child shall lead them."

My own son, just having celebrated his 11th birthday, in India, decided that he wanted to "go forth". He spent a few days with some monks from Darjeeling, begging with them and working as well as meditating.

The abbot 'robed' him and we travelled back through Kashmir and Delhi, all the way to London with him in his robes. We got some very good service!

Today, he is more likely to be in cap and hoody but he continues to be a "monk in the world" - at 15!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    simon, what an awesome experience for such a young lad. amazing.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I know! Forget Paris, I'd rather go on a retreat :bawling:
  • edited June 2005
    Wow - what a great experience! Thanks for sharing everything with us. It all sounds so wonderful. I can't wait to do all that someday. And you have a beautiful family! Your wife is beautiful and I love your son's shaved head - too cute!
  • edited July 2005
    Brian...I just found this thread! How cool is that to have an experience like that! I hope you have this thread archived someplace so it doesn't bite the dust. It would be sad to have this one gone with all the pictures of the event and the commentary you provided.

Thanks for sharing it, it really helped to see the reality of the ceremony and not just have a mental picure of what something like that might be like.

Any updates on the event, have you gotten a special place set up for the Buddha?

Take care,
    shasha
  • edited October 2005
    Brian, thanks for sharing, I'm aware of the Theravada school, but had never seen any of the rituals. I'm wondering if i can get scotty to beam your pond and garden to my yard here in Missouri-USA "lol" I have a thai friend here and she makes regular offerings to her buddha statue of fruit, they eat it before it spoils and replaces it with fresh. Don't know if that info helps you any, just thought I would share.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Great son you got! Glamourous wife you got! Fantastic house you got! Man you are my latest role model Brian... :LOL:
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited November 2005
    Simply amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this experience with all of us. I have personally never seen such an event and find the meeting of Thai Buddhist Monks with western Buddhist lay persons fascinating. WOW, what a combination of sights, sounds, scents and energy it must have been.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Brian,
    This was the coolest thread ever! You're home is beautiful. I love the red. Your family is so gorgeous. That pic of the monks and your two kids is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It could win awards! Thank you so much! I've completely lost track of time. I haven't been this absorbed in something for a very long time. I just can't get over it. Wow.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sorry. I meant the picture of the monks with your two kids in the back garden with that beautiful stream could win awards.
  • edited November 2010
    I hate to necro a thread thats been dead for 4 years...but this thread is just awesome - really made me smile!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    ...."necro"....?:eek:
  • edited November 2010
    What a great thing for you too have been part of ! Thanks for the thread.
    It's been several years since this went down, but it's still a fond memory.
  • A bit of advice for future reference......
    When inviting monks to a meal do not mention what the meal is to consist of....such as saying 'we are having a nice roast turkey etc....just invite for 'a meal' or 'the lunch meal'...otherwise they must refuse to eat it.
    Do not taste the food first whilst preparing it or laying it out....to eat food to be offered to the monks before them is said to get you a quick trip to the Hungry ghost realm.
    The Buddha statue should be placed upon a high place....where it cannot be stepped over or used as a hat-stand etc....to show respect for it.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Thanks for the experience, Brian. I never did anything so elaborate. I did have a monk friend who used to show up for a Christmas party I threw every year. He never made a big deal out of it, though he did take the trouble to bow three times to the Buddha statue I had. Otherwise, he ate, drank and laughed with everyone else. And he observed the party rules: Everyone had to bring a gift worth less then $5 ... toss it in a basket and, at a certain point, everyone got to take a gift out. The monk usually brought a calligraphy to toss in.