Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha's Teaching in Five Words

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what the situation demands
  • edited March 2010
    Know what the wise sanction.
    Know what the wise praise.
    Know what the wise censure.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    lemonade is made of lemons

You are the king of buddhism man! I loved it ehehehe
  • edited March 2010
    Know what quenches your 'thirst' (it could be lemonade :lol:)

[BTW: 'thirst' as in tanha - craving & clinging]
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what is, do wisely
  • edited March 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Know what actions are wholesome. (wholesome = skillful)
    Sukhita has found the fourth word!

Our "Save Federica" Hangman game now looks like this:
    Know what _____ are ______.

I foresee the imminent solving of this puzzle! :eekblue:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    know what morons are, stupid.....!

:lol:

(anything to stop myself getting hanged.....! :D)
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    know what morons are, stupid.....!
    LOL! ;)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    know what skhandas are impermanent?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It gets harder and harder the more information we know I think.

Know what ___ are ___

directions liberating
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Quote:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px inset ;" class="alt2"> lemonade is made of lemons </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    You are the king of buddhism man! I loved it ehehehe

I know it was trite but I was trying to say samsara understood is nirvana
  • edited March 2010
    "Know what actions are right."

"Know what thoughts are skillful."
  • edited March 2010
    Know what things are praiseworthy.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know how to be happy.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    know what riddles are time-wasters
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what anguish [unfettered] desires bring!
  • edited March 2010
    "Know what you are not."
  • edited March 2010
    know what know are know
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what actions are useful.

Know what tools are beneficial.

Know what situations are avoidable.

Know what vices are acceptable...

Know what 5-word-reductions are plausible.
  • edited March 2010
    Alright then... one final guess then if it's not #118.

"Know what attachments are supporting."

My thought is that the answer has something to do with the reality of non-self (the truth of which is pivotal to achieve liberation from its cycle of becoming), but there are probably many ways to put it so I'm done. :) Good luck to anyone with the stamina to remain!
  • edited March 2010

Knowing when to let go :buck:

• edited March 2010
    Know yourself, know the teachings:D
  • edited March 2010
    Know what you are doing. {mindfulness - the key to liberation}
    Know what you are thinking.
    Know what you are feeling.

Ok... I give up!
    About time for another clue, I think... ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    "Know what you are not."
    Stephen has found the fourth word!

Our new position in Federica Hangman:

Know what you are ______.
    Play on, brothers and sisters! Play, as you've never played before!

For dark is the hour, and federica's final peril at hand--yet all is not lost, for the end of the puzzle is nigh!
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what you are moron!

Wait...

Know what you are experiencing
  • edited March 2010
    Know what you are now.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Know what you are doing.

:D
  • edited March 2010
    Know what you are doing.
    That's it! Sukhita has guessed it!

Well done, sukhita (and also Dhamma Dhatu, who guessed it a few posts later--independently of sukhita, no doubt!).

Really, everyone deserves credit for this "victory," for all the guesses built on each other.

Can anyone verify that federica has survived? :confused:
  • edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Really, everyone deserves credit for this "victory," for all the guesses built on each other.

For sure.... :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Can anyone verify that federica has survived? :confused:

I'm sorry, I have been temporarily absent, due to my saving a far-distant galaxy and having a bit of supper.

Have I missed anything..?:D

(I'm not sure I actually agree that this 5-word phrase is an efficient or accurate way of summing up the Buddha's teaching.....myself.....)

Before 'doing', may well come speaking.
    Indubitably, before doing, comes thinking.....

I think "Know that suffering is imaginary" seems a far more appropriate teaching.
    I think I will strive to develop my super-human powers, gather a cult following, and make these my last words.

Or maybe, "Please get me some tea" would be just as good.....;)
  • edited March 2010
    Some tea for you Federica ...:D

tea.jpg

• edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    (I'm not sure I actually agree that this 5-word phrase is an efficient or accurate way of summing up the Buddha's teaching.....myself.....)

Before 'doing', may well come speaking.
    Indubitably, before doing, comes thinking.....

While I'd agree that it's not how I, personally, would summarize Buddhism...

'Thinking' is something that you do. As is speaking.

So 'know what you are doing' literally means: 'know what you are thinking/saying/putting into action, etc.'
  • edited March 2010
    hehehe... I also disagree that this statement is the best, but the truth is that the quest to find the answer led to some deep insights within myself, conditions for realizations of truth, so I'm not in the LEAST disappointed in the outcome of this thread. I had already realized the truth of selflnessness, but not the truth of what that non-self actually comprises of; all requisite conditions must be met for wisdom's acquisition.

Just as an afterthought, this thread never *was* to find out what best 5 words describe the totality of Buddhist teachings. It was only to find out what this monk's opinion is.

Bravo zendo, for you and your brilliant post. Be well and wise! :)
  • edited March 2010
    Friend wrote: »
    ...So 'know what you are doing' literally means: 'know what you are thinking/saying/putting into action, etc.'

All the above simply means: "Practice mindfulness".

So the layperson can say in two words what the monk explained on five words. No wonder the suttas are such lengthy texts... {just kidding}
  • edited March 2010
    If i had to sum up buddhism in five words i'd either use,
    live in the present moment, or,
    accept everything as it is.
    I guess, depending on who i was speaking to, and what i thought might help them at the time though, it could be something as simple as,
    stop talking and eat your dinner.
  • edited March 2010

So the layperson can say in two words what the monk explained on five words. No wonder the suttas are such lengthy texts... {just kidding}

Hehehe, a good point! It seems the monk used more words than he needed to.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The Truth is simple.

If it were complicated everyone would understand it.

:)
    edited March 2010
    Well done, sukhita (and also Dhamma Dhatu, who guessed it a few posts later--independently of sukhita, no doubt!).
    All credit & merit to Sukhita.

• edited March 2010
    hehehe... I also disagree that this statement is the best, but the truth is that the quest to find the answer led to some deep insights within myself, conditions for realizations of truth, so I'm not in the LEAST disappointed in the outcome of this thread. I had already realized the truth of selflnessness, but not the truth of what that non-self actually comprises of; all requisite conditions must be met for wisdom's acquisition.

Just as an afterthought, this thread never *was* to find out what best 5 words describe the totality of Buddhist teachings. It was only to find out what this monk's opinion is.

Bravo zendo, for you and your brilliant post. Be well and wise! :)
    And bravo to you too Stephen, for your words above are wise and insightful, and it seems to me you are well and truly on the road to enlightenment! :)
  • edited March 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    The Truth is simple.

If it were complicated everyone would understand it.

Well spoken! ;)
  • edited March 2010

That is exactly the case. Know what you are doing... practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is our greatest treasure. However this is not the totality of Buddhist thought; only the most important practice that allows us to see Dependent Origination in action in our daily lives, both within ourselves and without.

It is said that the Buddha said something like "He who sees Dependent Origination sees me. He who sees me sees Dependent Origination." What I think that means is that we understand that his experiences only came to be through conditionality, through the causal chain. That is the only reason any states of being occur; through causality. The Buddha was not a man, he was a conditioned phenomena as we all are, and the conditions that lifted him up out of delusion radiated outward through his teachings to become conditions for the enlightenment of many others. If we understand this, and dedicate ourselves to understanding the teachings correctly, we set up the conditions for our own liberation.

To know what you are doing is only trumped by the realization of why you do it. ;)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010

:lol:

Dee Dee has been caught cheating
    edited March 2010
    2a7x5ap.gif
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    ;)
  • edited April 2010
    That is exactly the case. Know what you are doing... practice mindfulness. Mindfulness is our greatest treasure.
    I agree that mindfulness is our greatest treasure, and it seems to me I remember the Buddha saying something to that effect as well.

Without mindfulness, we cannot attain enlightenment. It seems to function as a sort of bridge, spanning the wide river between the samsaric world of cyclical karma on the one side, and the legendary realm of nirvana on the other.

For this reason (and also from what I've read in the Dharma so far), the Burmese monk's answer made sense to me. "Know what you are doing" resonates as a quintessentially Buddhist message.
    edited April 2010
    My preference is the five words is "to know what is what".

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    Mindfulness is our greatest treasure.
    Stephen

What exactly are you refering to when you use the term "mindfulness"?

Thanks
    "He who sees Dependent Origination sees me. He who sees me sees Dependent Origination." What I think that means is that we understand that his experiences only came to be through conditionality, through the causal chain.
    Actually, what the Buddha meant here was something quite specific. If we take the time to read where these words were actually spoken, we will discern their intention.

Kind regards

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    I agree that mindfulness is our greatest treasure...
    I disagree. Without mindfulness, wisdom cannot be developed & engaged.

But without wisdom, mindfulness has nothing to engage.

For me, wisdom is our greatest treasure.
    Wisdom is the precious gem of humans.

SN 1.51
  • edited April 2010
    I disagree. Without mindfulness, wisdom cannot be developed & engaged.

But without wisdom, mindfulness has nothing to engage.

For me, wisdom is our greatest treasure.

The Middle Path (Eightfold Path) is often grouped and practiced according to the "three essentials" of Buddhist training and discipline, namely:

Ethical Conduct (Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood)
    Mental Discipline (Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration)
    Wisdom (Right Understanding, and Right Thought)

All these three "essentials" are linked together and each one of them are essential for the cultivation of the others. The stability of the "Middle Path" rests on this "tripod" so to speak, ignore any one leg then the stability of the Middle Path itself is threatened.

So all these three essentials are great treasures. But the greatest treasure is the "Middle Path" itself. You can realize this Middle Path only if you pay attention to all the three essentials.

Sorry, I can't support this view with any sutta/sutra... it just seems so obvious to me...:)
  • edited April 2010
    Who am I?

Or

Am I?

5 if u don’t count “Or.” ; ^ )
    S9