Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism without Rebirth.- questions.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    certainly, everyone's tasted nirvana. but it sometimes also has to be smelled, or felt, or, heard by other sounds, or tasted by other tongues.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    certainly, everyone's tasted nirvana. but it sometimes also has to be smelled, or felt, or, heard by other sounds, or tasted by other tongues.

:confused:
  • edited April 2010

zonked.gif

• edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    the spirit that the buddha taught and knew well (dhamma, nirvana) was and is still very alive, and it's something we are all quite familiar with, something that is one with words yet much beyond them, such as in the pure laugh of a child or picking summer strawberries in a meadow. the dharma can be put into words just as the sound a cat makes which we call meow. but to know that a cat meows through words alone teaches you nothing about the truth and suchness of the actual experience of a cat and how it may speak to you.
    Dazzle wrote: »
    zonked.gif

zonked.gif
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    the spirit that the buddha taught and knew well (dhamma, nirvana) was and is still very alive, and it's something we are all quite familiar with, something that is one with words yet much beyond them, such as in the pure laugh of a child or picking summer strawberries in a meadow. the dharma can be put into words just as the sound a cat makes which we call meow. but to know that a cat meows through words alone teaches you nothing about the truth and suchness of the actual experience of a cat and how it may speak to you.

zonked.gif

:crazy:

Meow ...
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "It's not the case that when there is the view, 'The soul & the body are the same,' there is the living of the holy life. And it's not the case that when there is the view, 'The soul is one thing and the body another,' there is the living of the holy life. When there is the view, 'The soul & the body are the same,' and when there is the view, 'The soul is one thing and the body another,' there is still the birth, there is the aging, there is the death, there is the sorrow, lamentation, pain, despair, & distress whose destruction I make known right in the here & now.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010

That sounds very zenny to me :)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    are you sure?

how much?;)

Pretty sure mam. :D
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha taught to mitigate suffering. If the teaching helped human beings to be free from suffering, he taught it. Spirituality is not the same as logic. Logic is theory whereas spiritually is a remedy to afflictive emotions.

If Jesus says "believe in me and you will be in heaven", its purpose is to relieve suffering. Whether it is true or not is irrelevent.

Therefore, in Buddhism, the teaching of rebirth is to relieve suffering and the teaching of impermanence is also to relieve suffering.

I find it very relevant whether a person is lying or not. The ends do not justify the means. I agree that Jesus and Buddha both thaught to mitigate suffering but lying is not the road that leads to such mitigation.

This question was addressed in the thread.
    Yes thanks.
    I would recommend you read the suttas yourself.
    The meaning or emphasis for one person of a sutta is not given per see to another. The self gets in the way...

I am trying to investigate Your view of the sutta not my own. But I am in the process of reading the suttas and building my own view about them.
    However, MN 149 states:

This was my question to this answer.
    "Is there a place in the suttas Where the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine are said to be for the worldlings only?"

The link above leads to MN 143 not MN 149. The linked sutta containes the citation so I am going by that sutta.

Anyway neither of these suttas contained the answer to my question...? What am I missing?

In the Apannaka Sutta, the Buddha called the rebirth doctrine "a safe bet" or a "wise gamble".

This was stated in MN 117, which has been quoted at least twice.

If you took the time to read the suttas, you will see the suttas about rebirth are only about karma, as follows:

See what I mean I see this sutta as verifying the whole concept of Karma and Rebirth!

This is why I keep nagging you for your understanding of suttas.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    I doubt whether you have really read both versions of the DO and done some study on them. Continuum/seed consciousness as described in the other verison of the DO states that this "Continuum/seed consciousness" receives kammic ramifications and is reborn based on kamma. The suttas do not state any such theories.
    You are correct. I have not stydied the DO very much. I have read the DN Sutta of course and Buddhaghosas version. And then been instructed in it.

This seed consciousness I have never heard before. But we did discuss consciousness as a discrete flow. thereof my answer. A continues flow is not correct. That is evident to anyone who watches himself/herself watching the world for 10 min.
    How can consciousness gain a footing in an embryo? How can consciousness leave one physical body and go to a womb when the Buddha repeatedly stated that consciousness arises based on the sense bases of a physical body? Ask yourself :D

I have no idea how consciousness gain a footing in an embryo. :D But Buddhism also talks about fine material bodies and petas. And also formless beings. So maybe consciousness does not always need a body to arise? I have no clue.
    There aren't different flavors and versions to the DO. DO is one teaching and only one interpretation is what the Buddha taught. Everything else is mere speculation which came up many years after the Buddha's death. Before you argue further on this I advice that you read this. It addresses some of the gray areas of the other version of the DO.

You have quoted this text to me a couple of times :) and I have read it a couple of times. To really form an oppinon on this text I will have to sit down and reexamine it and its references and probably go through Buddhagosas version again too. When I have done so I will get back to you.
    The Dhamma as the Buddha taught is verifiable in this moment for the wise to see in this moment. The Buddha's core teaching is for the cessation of suffering here in this lifetime.
    He also taught about Aryan puggalas who will attain Nibbana within 1, 3 or 7 lifetimes.
    How can you do this if the causes of your suffering lie in the previous life and the results of your action come in the next life? Ask yourself. :D
    I have never been taught to see the DO as divided into past now and future. That would be unlogical since not only past Karma forms our "now" but also the karma of present actions.

I do not think that anybody who adhers to that DO thinks about it the way you just presented it. If by "result of your actions come in the next life" you mean birth, old age and death. Then that would really not compute.
    Being directly verifiable in this lifetime is one of the most important aspects of the Dhamma and if you try to change that fact, many wise people will abandon this very important doctrine thinking it is merely a speculative theory of rebirth, kamma, floating souls etc.

I would say many wise men will abonden Buddhism if its followers try to claim such anti-scientific notions as non-rebirth too.

Btw what is a floating soul?:confused:

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    dear V

no person can convince all beings there is rebirth and no person can convince all beings there is no rebirth

belief in rebirth depends on the individual

you began a thread asking certain kinds of questions, which were answered

personally, i have no goal to have you believe there is no rebirth

you are inclined to believe in rebirth therefore believe in it

but buddhas do not lie or deceive

it is not proper to try to blame the buddha for your own karma & choices

the teachings state:

with metta

Thank you DD.

I think a clarification is necessary.

1. I have total confidence in rebirth due to personal experiences and because as you say Buddha taught it and I consider him wise. Of its importance to cultivation I am not so sure anymore.

2. I do not begrudge anybody who do not believe in Rebirth. As the Buddha taught you should avoid believing in anything that could not be verified as wholesome by you.

3. I do as I said early in the thread think that totally Denying Rebirth is totally unlogical and unscientific. That is why I started this thread to see if I could find anyone who believed that and to find out how they could support such a theory.

But so far noone here seems to totally deny rebirth. So no luck so far.

But on the other hand I have had one of the most fruitful Dhamma discussions ever thanks to You guys.

My question about the lying Buddha was asked in a hurry, spontaneously and without much thought:o and I can see in hind sight that it did not come out very well. If I have insulted anybody I apologize. It was not my intention.

With Metta
    Victor
    edited April 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    I have total confidence in rebirth due to personal experiences.
    Good for you.
    As the Buddha taught you should avoid believing in anything that could not be verified as wholesome by you.
    Good for you that rebirth has been verified.
    I do as I said early in the thread think that totally Denying Rebirth is totally unlogical and unscientific.
    Maybe you could win a Nobel Prize for science?
    That is why I started this thread to see if I could find anyone who believed that and to find out how they could support such a theory.
    I already made a post denying the possibly of rebirth. I said consciousness dissolves defilement, just like water cannot carry fire. This is shown in meditation.

So tell us about your meditation? When you meditate, does consciousness awareness dissolve defilements or maintain them?

Defilements whilst mental are related to the body. They cannot go from one body to another after death.

Consciousness the Buddha called vinnana or cognition. It is simply knowing, that is all.
    But so far noone here seems to totally deny rebirth. So no luck so far.
    I totally deny it. Rebirth is impossible, also in view of human population growth. As though animals make the karma to be born as human?

There was once a time when both the human and animal population was small and growing.

Unless the 'souls' came from Mars, Venus or elsewhere, rebirth is an impossibility.

edited April 2010
    I find it very relevant whether a person is lying or not. The ends do not justify the means. I agree that Jesus and Buddha both thaught to mitigate suffering but lying is not the road that leads to such mitigation.
    The Buddha did not lie. Please stop saying the Buddha lied.

If I am engaged in sexual activity, I possess a certain kind of body, a body aroused physically by sexual desire. It is not an ordinary body but a sexual body. Then with the break up of that body, upon the death of sexual activity, my mind is reborn into a state of hungry ghost or even hell, craving or heart broken about that sexual activity.

If I go to war, in battle I have a certain kind of body, due to adrenalin. I kill many men, with power and fitness of body. Then with the break up of the body, I return home and suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and then commit suidice. Here, the mind is reborn in hell.

This is why I keep nagging you for your understanding of suttas.
    You might be nagging but not really taking anything in. Your "tea cup" is full so nothing new can really enter.

I simply reply to your posts because for myself and others, it is "path food".
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    This seed consciousness I have never heard before. But we did discuss consciousness as a discrete flow. thereof my answer. A continues flow is not correct. That is evident to anyone who watches himself/herself watching the world for 10 min.

Consciousness is arising based on the six ordinary sense bases. That's all I know
    I have no idea how consciousness gain a footing in an embryo. :D

But Buddhaghosa's commentary to the Mahanidhana sutta states:
    If there were no rebirth linking consciousness would the remaining bare mentality-materiality occur in the mother's womb taking shape and developing through the embryonic stages
    Which would imply that there is a consciousness waiting to land on the womb.
    So maybe consciousness does not always need a body to arise?

:confused: Where does the Buddha state that consciousness is not dependently arising based on the sense organs of a physical body?
    I have no clue.

I will have to sit down and reexamine it and its references

Good idea
    But Buddhism also talks about fine material bodies and petas. And also formless beings.

Realms in Buddhism are mere mental states.
    He also taught about Aryan puggalas who will attain Nibbana within 1, 3 or 7 lifetimes.

This has already been addressed in some other thread by DD. I will quote him here:
    ...the scripture you are quoting does not include the word "lives" in the Pali.

The standard Pali that is (inaccurately) translated as "lives" is nivāsaṃ.

the scripture is called the "breakthrough". the stream enterer must breakthrough "seven more times at most".

this is what the sutta states

in other words, there are seven more fetters to break

Quote:
    Nakhasikha Sutta,

Neva [neither] satimaṃ [1/100] kalaṃ upeti na sahassimaṃ [1/1000] kalaṃ upeti na satasahassimaṃ [1/100,000] kalaṃ upeti purimaṃ dukkhakkhandhaṃ parikkhīṇaṃ pariyādiṇṇaṃ upanidhāya yadidaṃ sattakkhattuṃparamatā.

Neva (indecl.) [na+eva] see na2. -- nevasaññā -- nâsañña (being) neither perception nor non -- perception, only in cpd. ˚āyatana & in nevasaññī -- nâsaññin: see saññā.

Kalā [Vedic kalā *squel, to Lat scalpo, Gr. ska/llw, Ohg scolla, scilling, scala. The Dhtp. (no 613) expls kala by "sankhyāne."] 1. a small fraction of a whole

Upeti [upa + i] to go to (with acc.), come to, approach, undergo, attain

Purima (adj.) [compar. -- superl. formation fr. *pura, cp. Sk. purima] preceding, former, earlier, before (opp. pacchima)

dukkhakkhandhaŋ vyapānudi Th 2, 162. -- (b) lobha˚ dosa˚ moha˚ the three ingredients or integrations of greed, suffering and bewilderment, lit. "the big bulk or mass of greed"

Parikkhīṇa [pp. of parikkhīyati] exhausted, wasted, decayed, extinct

Upanidhāya (indecl.) [ger. of upa + nidahati of dhā] comparing in comparison, as prep. w. acc. "compared with"

Yadi (indecl.) [adv. formation, orig. loc., fr. ya˚; cp. Vedic yadi] 1. as conjunction: if;
    yadi evaŋ if so, in that case, let it be that, alright, now then

yadidaṃ = that is, “i.e.”

Sattakkhattuŋ (adv.) [cp. tikkhattuŋ etc.] seven times

Paramatā (f.) [fr. parama, Vedic paramatā highest posi- tion] the highest quantity, measure on the outside, minimum or maximum

This thread
    I have never been taught to see the DO as divided into past now and future. That would be unlogical since not only past Karma forms our "now" but also the karma of present actions.

How I see Kamma has already been addressed in my previous posts
    I do not think that anybody who adhers to that DO thinks about it the way you just presented it.

Would you mind giving me some explanation as to how you see the DO please? Then probably I will be able to answer this
    If by "result of your actions come in the next life" you mean birth, old age and death. Then that would really not compute.

Where did I say "result of your actions come in the next life"? :confused: I have been repeatedly telling you that kamma is how you direct your mind in this life in this moment.
    I would say many wise men will abonden Buddhism if its followers try to claim such anti-scientific notions as non-rebirth too.

If non-rebirth is anti-scientific then rebirth should be scientific. Good.

Has rebirth been scientifically proven? If so I need to see a reference and also I would beg you to tell me what you think is reborn. How is it reborn. I would like some specific explanation how it happens with some verifiable examples pls. Thank you
  • edited April 2010
    Has rebirth been scientifically proven? If so I need to see a reference and also I would beg you to tell me what you think is reborn.

Have you heard of that Ian Stevenson bloke? He has a book called 20 cases suggestive of reincarnation.

If i'm correct, rebirth and reincarnation are different. Buddha has talked of rebirth (where there is no soul or consciousness that is carried on) and reincarnation is when there is such a thing.

From the way I understand it, both are possible. That's my opinion of it.

Also have a look at this, Ajahn Brahm on the issue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htQ12Z2MV0Q
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    jthel wrote: »
    From the way I understand it, both are possible.

From the way I understand it both are irrelevant to the cessation of suffering caused by mental clinging. Also, I find it hard to understand what it is that is reborn or continues when the physical body breaks. The Buddha did not teach speculative theories. He only taught about eradicating dukkha which is verifiable in this lifetime.
  • edited April 2010
    From the way I understand it both are irrelevant to the cessation of suffering caused by mental clinging.

I agree with that, it is irrelevant. But if it is speculation, how can you disprove something that you cannot prove, whichever way you believe in it?

Different people find comfort in believing different speculative teachings in different ways, maybe it aids in their path to the cessation of suffering. :smilec:

Check your pm pls. :o
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I have already said, I am not saying there is rebirth or there is not. It is not relevant to me. If someone says there is rebirth and it is not scientific to say it is not then I would like to hear how and what is reborn. If someone says belief in rebirth motivates them to practice then I already said:
    If you think notions of future benefits in future lives give you the kicks necessary to start the practice then go by that. With time you will realize it is not important.

If someone says the DO contains notions of rebirth and rebirth is an integral part for the cessation of suffering due to self-clinging then they are mistaken. Belief in rebirth is defiled. It entertains self-clinging. Suttas are already quoted more than once in this same thread.
    edited April 2010

Maybe you could win a Nobel Prize for science?
    I have no such aspirations. But my father did win the Nobel Prize for Medicine once.;)
    I already made a post denying the possibly of rebirth. I said consciousness dissolves defilement, just like water cannot carry fire. This is shown in meditation.

So tell us about your meditation? When you meditate, does consciousness awareness dissolve defilements or maintain them?
    I am not sure what you are asking here but Cultivation "dissolves" all illusions in the end. Even the illusion of no-rebirth and rebirth and neither rebirth or no-rebirth.
    I totally deny it. Rebirth is impossible, also in view of human population growth. As though animals make the karma to be born as human.

There was once a time when both the human and animal population was small and growing.

Unless the 'souls' came from Mars, Venus or elsewhere, rebirth is an impossibility.

There is nothing in your statements sofar in this thread that could support such a theory. Here read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_proof

Your statement falls under the heading:
    Argument from personal incredulity
    edited April 2010

I have never in this thread said he does. If there is such a place please point it out to me so I can edit it.
    If I am engaged in sexual activity, I possess a certain kind of body, a body aroused physically by sexual desire. It is not an ordinary body but a sexual body. Then with the break up of that body, upon the death of sexual activity, my mind is reborn into a state of hungry ghost or even hell, craving or heart broken about that sexual activity.

If I go to war, in battle I have a certain kind of body, due to adrenalin. I kill many men, with power and fitness of body. Then with the break up of the body, I return home and suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and then commit suidice. Here, the mind is reborn in hell.

I thought you just said that the above is not possible?

You said:
    Defilements whilst mental are related to the body. They cannot go from one body to another after death.

Consciousness the Buddha called vinnana or cognition. It is simply knowing, that is all.
    If there is no body between the moments of conciousness then how does the physical body migrate between these moments? Or rather the defilements as you suggested that they do in this life?

Anyway it seems far fetched. I have never experienced a break up of the body. Of feeling, mental processes and so on yes. But the body changes slowly most of the time. It does not break up and dissolve until physical death. That is the common view. Even during cultivation. The perception of the body on the other hand is discrete. Was that what you were saying?

You might be nagging but not really taking anything in. Your "tea cup" is full so nothing new can really enter.

It is very hard to understand and "take in" what you are saying because. In one post you seem to claim that Buddha taught rebirth to the worldlings and then in the next you seem deny it.

Which is your view in easy yes or no. Did or did not the Buddha teach rebirth (life after death kind) to the worldlings?

I simply reply to your posts because for myself and others, it is "path food".

Happy to oblige. :)

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    But Buddhaghosa's commentary to the Mahanidhana sutta states:

Which would imply that there is a consciousness waiting to land on the womb.
    You better ask him...:lol:...because I would not know.
    Did you get my mail about descent into the womb? It is reasonable that they could deduce that from disecting deceaced pregnant women even in those days. But I would not know.

:confused: Where does the Buddha state that consciousness is not dependently arising based on the sense organs of a physical body?

Where does the Buddha state that consciousness can never dependently arise without base in the sense organs of a physical body?
    This has already been addressed in some other thread by DD. I will quote him here:

How would that explain the Sakadagami? Such a person has 5 fetters intact but still will need to only "break through" once? Or the Anagami? The non returner?

Would you mind giving me some explanation as to how you see the DO please? Then probably I will be able to answer this

Will get back to you tonight on that.

Where did I say "result of your actions come in the next life"? :confused: I have been repeatedly telling you that kamma is how you direct your mind in this life in this moment.
    I quoted you the passage. It is in this thread not far back.
    If non-rebirth is anti-scientific then rebirth should be scientific. Good.
    That is false. You are assuming only two alternatives exist and that they are mutually exclusive. Listen to fivebells and jthel on this. We are just misunderstanding each other.

Please read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_proof

I do not think our points of view differ much on this really. The agnostic view is acceptable through science.
    Has rebirth been scientifically proven? If so I need to see a reference and also I would beg you to tell me what you think is reborn. How is it reborn. I would like some specific explanation how it happens with some verifiable examples pls. Thank you

Well I do not know if there is any proof, but there is a passage in the tricycle mag where Steven Batchelor is is discussing with Thurman and they both agree that there is scientific proof of rebirth. I have not read the reffered paper myself but...

Here is the debate:
    http://www.tricycle.com/feature/3857-1.html?page=0,0

look on the firts page of the debate and search for "Stevenson"

As to the rest of the questions I would not know. Sorry.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    jthel wrote: »
    Also have a look at this, Ajahn Brahm on the issue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htQ12Z2MV0Q
    i have heard this comedy

this response to it called Nonsense in Buddhism is interesting

:coffee:
    edited April 2010
    am not sure what you are asking here but Cultivation "dissolves" all illusions in the end. Even the illusion of no-rebirth and rebirth and neither rebirth or no-rebirth.
    too many books

meditation dissolves defilement

the buddha called nibbana the end of defilement, the end of asava

edited April 2010
    I have never experienced a break up of the body.
    with every karma or action, the body is different

it is a different body

when we were a child eating ice-cream, the body was in a certain way

when our mother took the ice-cream away from us & we cried, there was a different body

edited April 2010
    It is very hard to understand and "take in" what you are saying because.
    i would not blame the buddha for how one comprehends the teachings

i would also not blame DD for how one comprehends the teachings

the buddha taught on the supramundane level as follows:
    "And what are dependently co-arisen phenomena?

Aging & death are dependently co-arisen phenomena: inconstant, compounded, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to passing away, subject to fading, subject to cessation.

When a disciple of the noble ones has seen well with right discernment this dependent co-arising & these dependently co-arisen phenomena as they have come to be, it is not possible that he would run after the past, thinking, 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past?' or that he would run after the future, thinking, 'Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' or that he would be inwardly perplexed about the immediate present, thinking, 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?' Such a thing is not possible.

Why is that? Because the disciple of the noble ones has seen well with right discernment this dependent co-arising & these dependently co-arisen phenomena as they have come to be."

Paccaya Sutta
    Seeing aging & death, its arising, it passing.

How does a live body see the arising of aging & death?

How does a dead body see the passing of aging & death?

How is death subject to cessation?

edited April 2010
    Did you get my mail about descent into the womb?
    one sutta that contradicts scores of other suttas

not just consciousness but also nama-rupa and the sense organs

obviously the buddha did not speak it
    Where does the Buddha state that consciousness can never dependently arise without base in the sense organs of a physical body?
    MN 38
    How would that explain the Sakadagami? Such a person has 5 fetters intact but still will need to only "break through" once? Or the Anagami? The non returner?
    I would suggest expressing your statement more clearly.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Victorious, first of all, I have been telling you from my first post that I see kamma as per this moment, in this life. I do not know where I said that the results of your actions appear in the next life. However, I was asking you to think of it as the other version of the DO refers to such speculations and you said you have read and understood the other version. Anyway, moving forward …

The Buddha explains consciousness as dependently arising based on sense organs of a physical body. He does not state that consciousness can exist without a physical body anywhere. If you can explain such a theory, give a sutta reference or prove the existence of such a consciousness, please go ahead. Otherwise it is going to be mere speculation.

As far as I know, science has not proven the existence of rebirth or given any explanation as to what it is that survives when the physical body breaks and gets reborn. If you can explain this please go ahead. I am not interested in reading some “debate” between two people in so and so magazine/website/wiki page or reading some article on egg fertilization. If you present me with solid proof which is verifiable then I will believe it. There is really no use in pointing someone to a debate when you are asked to produce proof verifiable by others.

You say that your views on rebirth is agnostic but you seem to have a hard time letting go of the rebirth believe. A person with agnostic views should understand the difference between belief and knowledge. I feel that you do believe in rebirth although you cannot explain it to yourself. But that’s ok. If you want to believe it then believe it. With time you will realize that it is not in the least related to suffering and the cessation of suffering as the Buddha explained it.

Also, this entire conversation is going around in circles. You started off with questions to which you got replies according to the suttas and verifiable facts. I think if you take some time off and read the texts we pointed you to it will be a lot more useful at this point.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010

the suttas consistently describe the arising of consciousness in only one way. So you're basically asking "where did the Buddha state that the Boogie Man doesn't exist?" and then shouting "Aha!" as if you've made a valid argument. You've put forth a theory and so it's up to you to prove it--

But luckily the Buddha at one time did have to address this: http://www.thisismyanmar.com/nibbana/tipitaka/mahatan1.htm
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Actually it occurred to me only after DD referred to it. As he said, in MN 38 the Buddha refuses such speculations like consciousness leaves here and goes there as if it can exist independently of the physical body.
    "Exactly so, venerable sir. As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is the same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another.”

“What is that consciousness, Sāti?”

“Venerable sir, it is that which speaks and feels and experiences here and there the result of good and bad actions.”

“Misguided man, to whom have you ever known me to teach the Dhamma in that way? Misguided man, have I not stated in many ways consciousness to be dependently arisen, since without a condition there is no origination of consciousness? But you, misguided man, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit; for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I find it interesting that as Sati approaches the teacher, the first thing Buddha did was repeat the possible view, then asked for a depiction of the consciousness that Sati was referring to. It seems clear that the consciousness they were speaking of, which is dependent on conditions to arise, does not travel beyond death.

I wonder why Buddha first asked him what he meant by consciousness, rather than say "nothing traverses".
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    ...consciousness...
    the buddha taught rebirth in many mundane suttas but in them did not teach consciousness is reborn

consciousness in pali is cognition. that is all

the suttas on rebirth teach a 'person' is reborn

some buddhists, including Buddhaghosa have tried to assert empty phenomena is reborn

such a view does not accord with the moral efficacy of the rebirth teachings

edited April 2010
    with every karma or action, the body is different

it is a different body

when we were a child eating ice-cream, the body was in a certain way

when our mother took the ice-cream away from us & we cried, there was a different body

Those are to very different mental states but more or less the same body.
    edited April 2010

I was not asking about the supra mundane level but the mundane.

Did the Buddha teach rebirth on the mundane level to the worldlings?
    You have said yourself that he did.

Since he did, obviously he believed in rebirth because the Buddha would not lie.

On this we agree that a Buddha does not lie.

So in stating that there is no rebirth you are contradicting the belief of the Buddha.

I see a problem with your non-rebirth notion other than the scientific one mentioned.

/Victor
    edited April 2010

Seeing aging & death, its arising, it passing.

How does a live body see the arising of aging & death?

How does a dead body see the passing of aging & death?

How is death subject to cessation?

Hmm.

Btw are you saying that Death is exempt of the anicca doctrine?

That all things have a beginning, middle and an end?

Curious
    Victor
    edited April 2010
    The question was:

You answered
    MN 38

That sutta state that consciousness can never dependently arise without base in the sense organs.

There is no reference to a physical body.

Here is the sutta

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima1/038-mahatanhasankhaya-sutta-e1.html

/Victor

I would suggest expressing your statement more clearly.

The question was for Deshy but this is the explanation.

You explained that the Sotapanna will be reborn only 7 more times saying that rebirht in this context actually meant that a sotapanna has 7 more fetters to break.

I was wondering how that translates on the teaching that the Sakadagami only has one more rebirth before attaining arahanthood but still have 5 fetters and that the anagami will not return at all?

Regards
    Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    That sutta state that consciousness can never dependently arise without base in the sense organs.

There is no reference to a physical body.

How can one even attempt to respond to this? What do you think the sense organs are? :confused:
    edited April 2010
    Victorious, first of all, I have been telling you from my first post that I see kamma as per this moment, in this life. I do not know where I said that the results of your actions appear in the next life. However, I was asking you to think of it as the other version of the DO refers to such speculations and you said you have read and understood the other version. Anyway, moving forward …

It was about Buddhahhosas DO not Kamma. It was not important anyway.
    The Buddha explains consciousness as dependently arising based on sense organs of a physical body. He does not state that consciousness can exist without a physical body anywhere. If you can explain such a theory, give a sutta reference or prove the existence of such a consciousness, please go ahead. Otherwise it is going to be mere speculation.

That might be so, if you disregard the teachings of finematerial bodies or those of the formless abodes.

Where does he say that the consciousness is based on a physical body?
    As far as I know, science has not proven the existence of rebirth or given any explanation as to what it is that survives when the physical body breaks and gets reborn.

That is what I said. Did you read and comprehend the answer I gave you?
    If you can explain this please go ahead. I am not interested in reading some “debate” between two people in so and so magazine/website/wiki page

Do you know who Stephen Batchelor is? Never mind, it is not relevant.
    If you present me with solid proof which is verifiable then I will believe it. There is really no use in pointing someone to a debate when you are asked to produce proof verifiable by others.

Where did you get the notion that I said there is scientific proof? Or even that Science has proven rebirth at all?

I said science refutes proving a negative. Read any book or article you like if you do not want to read the wiki link I sent you.:). They all say the same.

Look like this. If I say that is is false to say that there is no rebirth according to scientific standards It does not automatically mean that it is correct by sciencetific standards to say that there is rebirth. They are two seperate thesis and must be proven apart from each other.

That is why I have no problem with the agnostic view.
    You say that your views on rebirth is agnostic but you seem to have a hard time letting go of the rebirth believe.
    That is because I am a rebirth fanatic.:lol: I expressed that view some posts ago.

I have never said I am an agnostic.
    Also, this entire conversation is going around in circles. You started off with questions to which you got replies according to the suttas and verifiable facts. I think if you take some time off and read the texts we pointed you to it will be a lot more useful at this point.

Yes this conversation does seem to move in circles.
    Thank you for the suttas and links.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    How can one even attempt to respond to this? What do you think the sense organs are? :confused:

Sensory organs can be part of the body of any Peta, Deva or Asura. They do not have to be physical bodies of this world.

Simple. :D.

Sorry what are we talking about again?

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    Actually it occurred to me only after DD referred to it. As he said, in MN 38 the Buddha refuses such speculations like consciousness leaves here and goes there as if it can exist independently of the physical body.

The word used in the translation is "the cause" or condition Paccaya i think. How does that translate to "physical body"?

/Victor
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Sensory organs can be part of the body of any Peta, Deva or Asura. They do not have to be physical bodies of this world.

Simple.
    Oh, you've met these beings? And they have no physical body? They have sense organs--tongues, eyes, etc.--but they aren't physical? What? :rolleyes:
    edited April 2010
    Oh, you've met these beings? And they have no physical body? They have sense organs--tongues, eyes, etc.--but they aren't physical? What? :rolleyes:

Seriously what is the question actually about?

The thread is about buddhism without rebirth. And suddenly I am defending a view of transmigrating consiousness. Why am I doing that?:eek:
    I am getting pictures in my mind of the invisible woman walking around naked.:eek::eek: It is too late I am going to bed.

Can you pose the question anew please? What do you really want to know?

/Victor
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    consciousness in pali is cognition. that is all

the suttas on rebirth teach a 'person' is reborn

some buddhists, including Buddhaghosa have tried to assert empty phenomena is reborn

such a view does not accord with the moral efficacy of the rebirth teachings

Certainly, it would be difficult to pass cognition between objects. Then what qualities do the suttas assign to the 'person' that is reborn?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I am getting pictures in my mind of the invisible woman walking around naked.:eek::eek: It is too late I am going to bed.

Oh, I bet you are. :eek::eek:

You asked a question and put forth nonsensical arguments and so they were addressed:
    So maybe consciousness does not always need a body to arise?

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The word used in the translation is "the cause" or condition Paccaya i think. How does that translate to "physical body"?

/Victor

The condition of the consciousness is fabricators. That doesn't mean the"origin" of consciousness is fabricators. If so enlightened beings should lose their consciousness. Fabricators merely condition consciousness. Ignorant fabricators would condition/taint the consciousness like when you look at the sky wearing a pair of pink glasses you see a pinkish sky. Similar is the work of fabricators on consciousness.

Consciousness is the initial cognition that arises when the physical sense organs like the eye make contact with a form like a woman. The form (woman), the eye ( physical sense organ) and the cognition (consciousness) together is called contact.

The Buddha wanted us to see consciousness as arising based on sense organs of the physical body. That is why he said there are six types of consciousness as

eye-consciousness
    ear-consciousness

mind-consciousness

Nontheless you carry on arguing that consciousness can exist without a physical body just like bhikku sathi did. :crazy:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

The thread is about buddhism without rebirth. And suddenly I am defending a view of transmigrating consiousness. Why am I doing that?:eek:

We don't know. Probably because you are a "rebirth fanatic" desperately trying to find some solid evidence to support rebirth? This is not uncommon :cool:
  • edited April 2010
    knowledge and belief are two different things. i'm not sure what place belief has in buddhism. belief seems to be more associated with orthodoxy and dogma, knowledge with direct experience. i think the arguments for a belief in heaven or rebirth are quite similiar, appeals to scripture, tradition etc. i'm not sure what belief has to do with the four noble truths and the eightfold path. i don't believe or disbelieve in the idea of rebirth. it just doesn't seem relevant.
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I bet you are. :eek::eek:

You asked a question and put forth nonsensical arguments and so they were addressed:

The first of those was an rethorical question to Deshy. To imply that she is making the same logical mistake she made in an earlier post.

Somehow the rethorical part got lost in the posting.

The second reply was because I was tired, did not understand the question and felt generally silly. :rolleyes:

There is no way I am going to try and explain any transmigration of souls for real since I do not hold that view.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    The condition of the consciousness is fabricators. That doesn't mean the"origin" of consciousness is fabricators. If so enlightened beings should lose their consciousness. Fabricators merely condition consciousness. Ignorant fabricators would condition/taint the consciousness like when you look at the sky wearing a pair of pink glasses you see a pinkish sky. Similar is the work of fabricators on consciousness.

Consciousness is the initial cognition that arises when the physical sense organs like the eye make contact with a form like a woman. The form (woman), the eye ( physical sense organ) and the cognition (consciousness) together is called contact.

The Buddha wanted us to see consciousness as arising based on sense organs of the physical body. That is why he said there are six types of consciousness as

eye-consciousness
    ear-consciousness

mind-consciousness

Nontheless you carry on arguing that consciousness can exist without a physical body just like bhikku sathi did. :crazy:

That is the third time you assign a view to me that I do not hold.

First you wanted me to produce scientific proof about rebirht for god knows what reason. Then I was a rebirth agnostic, then I am Sati.

Whats up with that. Is my case so strong you can not find any real defect in it to critisize? :cool:

I have no idea how something migrates from life to life.

All I know is that you have agreed that the Buddha himself held that belief. Since he taught rebirth to the worldlings.

And that I have enough personal experience of rebirth and life after death that I have no doubt in my mind that there is rebirth.

As to how it works your guess is as good as mine.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    We don't know. Probably because you are a "rebirth fanatic" desperately trying to find some solid evidence to support rebirth? This is not uncommon :cool:

:lol:

Yeah we rebirth fanatics are a silly lot. But since we have many lifes to have fun in we are like the blondes.

We just have more fun! :D
This discussion has been closed.