Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism without Rebirth.- questions.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    1. Is death exempt from anicca?
    The death in the dependent origination is a mental construct. Of course it is impermanent. The Buddha said:
    "And what are dependently co-arisen phenomena? Aging & death are dependently co-arisen phenomena: inconstant, compounded, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to passing away, subject to fading, subject to cessation.

SN 12.20

2. Break up of the Body before Death

Let me ask a simple question. Is the body you have now the same as when you were a baby?

Similarly, is the body you have now the same as the one five minutes ago?

Is the body you had at your previous breath the same as the one at your current breath??

:smilec:
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Here is a citation from MN. 22
    And with such unwise considerations, he adopts one or other
    of the six views, and it becomes his conviction and firm belief:
    I have a Self’, or: ‘I have no Self’, or: ‘With the Self I perceive
    the Self’, or: ‘With that which is no Self, I perceive the Self’; or:
    ‘With the Self I perceive that which is no Self’. Or, he adopts
    the following view: ‘This my Self, which can think and feel,
    and which, now here, now there, experiences the fruit of good
    and evil deeds: this my Self is permanent, stable, eternal, not
    subject to change, and will thus eternally remain the same’.
    If there really existed the Self, there would also exist some-
    thing which belonged to the Self. As, however, in truth
    and reality neither the Self, nor anything belonging to the
    Self, can be found, is it not therefore really an utter fools’
    doctrine to say: ‘This is the world, this am I; after death I
    shall be permanent, persisting, and eternal’?

There is an I, me or mine implied in the above statements. This I is also a mental construct as is the world.

“Nothing is to be clung to as 'I,' 'me,' or 'mine.'”
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Wilfred wrote: »
    Enlightened person neither denies nor claim rebirth...
    So the Buddha reported in the texts who taught rebirth was not an enlightened person?

:confused:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Fivebells said:

Who cares whether the Buddha taught that or not? Is it relevant to the practice? The practice proceeds in our lives without a belief in rebirth, and the question never comes up for us.

But then you guys kept trying to explain how the Buddha did teach rebirth without actually believing in it and still claiming (in different ways and I am not saying they are wrong just that I can not get them) that he was not deceiving people.

These are the some of the comments from those posts.

I am not saying the Buddha lied. He just took the existing belief of the people and retaught that in a way that they practice morality. That doesn't necessarily mean he had a strong conviction about rebirth beyond any doubt. If so then he would be teaching rebirth as an absolute reality rather than taking a more flexible approach to his rebirth teachings depending on his audience.

What is it that you don't understand here? Belief in rebirth is irrelevant to the cessation of suffeirng. You can practice without believing in rebirth at all. The DO is a doctrine verifiable here and now. You do not have to blindly believe in anything to practice it.

However, the Buddha had spoken of rebirth in such and such ways to certain people who already had that belief deep-rooted so that their belief system was not challenged. That does not necessarily mean the Buddha himself believed it. I personally don't think the Buddha had a strong conviction of life after death because he had spoken of rebirth in different ways to different audiences merely for morality.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

In fact most of the suttas I quoted for Matt are such where Monks are present and taught something that has to do with rebirth. What is your view on this?

Actually the first sutta you quoted is from AN. The AN mostly has suttas with mundane teachings. It is meant to be short, light reading and mostly mundane.
    Monks, the taking of life — when indulged in, developed, & pursued — is something that leads to hell, leads to rebirth as a common animal, leads to the realm of the hungry shades. The slightest of all the results coming from the taking of life is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to a short life span

Again, this is a moral teaching. Plus, it doesn't necessarily talk about rebirth. (note that some translations can be dodgy too) The hell the Buddha is talking about here, as I see it, is a mental state you experience here and now, not necessarily a place you go after death because you killed someone in this life. What sounds more logical to you? Hell is when you go through the fear, guilt, remorse and anger of killing someone.

The second sutta you quoted doesn't talk about physical birth.
    "Bhikkhus, it is through not realizing, through not penetrating the Four Noble Truths that this long course of birth and death has been passed through and undergone by me as well as by you.

Long course of birth and death is the long cycle of birth and death of the ego. Which is the real suffering. This is not physical birth
  • edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Actually the first sutta you quoted is from AN. The AN mostly has suttas with mundane teachings. It is meant to be short, light reading and mostly mundane.

Again, this is a moral teaching. Plus, it doesn't necessarily talk about rebirth. (note that some translations can be dodgy too) The hell the Buddha is talking about here, as I see it, is a mental state you experience here and now, not necessarily a place you go after death because you killed someone in this life. What sounds more logical to you? Hell is when you go through the fear, guilt, remorse and anger of killing someone.

The second sutta you quoted doesn't talk about physical birth.

Long course of birth and death is the long cycle of birth and death of the ego. Which is the real suffering. This is not physical birth

This is funny.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This is funny.

Ok :)
  • edited May 2010
    Ok :)
    You took some serious liberties in your commentary there. Your point of view is totally ok but to present it as though it is the "truth" of the situation goes a bit too far.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    You took some serious liberties in your commentary there. Your point of view is totally ok but to present it as though it is the "truth" of the situation goes a bit too far.

I hereby officially declare that whatever I state here is just my point of view. :lol:

I see the "cycle of birth and death" as the cycle of birth and death of the ego. Why would physical birth and death be suffering
  • edited May 2010
    I hereby officially declare that whatever I state here is just my point of view. :lol:

I see the "cycle of birth and death" as the cycle of birth and death of the ego. Why would physical birth and death be suffering

I think we can fairly say that the physical processes of birth, old age, sickness, and death can cause anxiety and pain etc. that lead to what we refer to as suffering. I dont think thats much of a stretch. Also we can look at the general "suffering" of conditioned existence that is tied into impermanence. I feel that it can be quite instructive.
  • edited May 2010
    Rebirth or no rebirth is absolutely irrelevant to practice.

Rebirth is just a morality teaching - and sometimes its been used to scare people as if its some kind of punishment system. An example being something I once read somewhere (written by a "master") that if you speak against a master who's given you a teaching, you'll be reborn 500 times as a dog....truly a very nasty way of keeping people in line.

Do we sit in meditation dwelling on the past or speculating about the future? No. Our awareness is in the here and now.

When eventually meditation and post meditation begin to merge, our awareness is still in the here and now and hopefully not dwelling on the unconjecturable.

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think we can fairly say that the physical processes of birth, old age, sickness, and death can cause anxiety and pain etc.

Good that you brought this up. Old age, sickness and death are suffeirng not because they are inherently suffeirng but because you have the attachment to the impermanent natural phenomena. Because you have the delusion of self created by the five aggregates. If you look at it from the surface old age and death seem like suffeirng but the core or the nucleus of this suffeirng is self-identification.
  • edited May 2010
    Good that you brought this up. Old age, sickness and death are suffeirng not because they are inherently suffeirng but because you have the attachment to the impermanent natural phenomena. Because you have the delusion of self created by the five aggregates. If you look at it from the surface old age and death seem like suffeirng but the core or the nucleus of this suffeirng is self-identification.
    I think that is a well-reasoned analysis of the situation.
  • edited May 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Rebirth or no rebirth is absolutely irrelevant to practice.

Rebirth is just a morality teaching - and sometimes its been used to scare people as if its some kind of punishment system. An example being something I once read somewhere (written by a "master") that if you speak against a master who's given you a teaching, you'll be reborn 500 times as a dog....truly a very nasty way of keeping people in line.

Do we sit in meditation dwelling on the past or speculating about the future? No. Our awareness is in the here and now.

When eventually meditation and post meditation begin to merge, our awareness is still in the here and now and hopefully not dwelling on the unconjecturable.

I agree with just about everything you say here with the exception of one thing.
    "Rebirth is just a morality teaching"
    I feel that this statement is an over simplification. The teachings on rebirth certainly have tremendous moral significance but I find the designation that this is the only significance of them is a bit to hardened.
    I think a middle-way approach is much more reasonable and accurate.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Self-identification is the birth of the ego: the "I" and the "mine". Thus, suffering is the cycle of birth and death of the ego.
  • edited May 2010
    Self-identification is the birth of the ego: the "I" and the "mine". Thus, suffering is the cycle of birth and death of the ego.

I have absolutely no problem with this. This a a perfectly fine interpretation of the basic internal/mental process of the "suffering of suffering".
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The teachings on rebirth certainly have tremendous moral significance but I find the designation that this is the only significance of them is a bit to hardened.
    I think a middle-way approach is much more reasonable and accurate.

The only middle way I can think of is that teaching rebirth is for morality and since hearing about rebirth makes the hearts of those who believe in it happy then it might be a way to end suffering to some extent. But this view is defiled and does not lead to liberation.

Other than that I see no significance in rebirth at all.
  • edited May 2010
    The only middle way I can think of is that teaching rebirth is for morality and since hearing about rebirth makes the hearts of those who believe in it happy then it might be a way to end suffering to some extent. But this view is defiled and does not lead to liberation.

Other than that I see no significance in rebirth at all.

Thats not a middle way approach in my opinion since it completely disregards all other possibilities.
    How would hearing about rebirth make those who believe in it happy?
    Its supposed to be a bad thing.

If you see no significance in rebirth at all thats great. I dont see any reason for conflict there.
    Thats your practice and your path.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thats not a middle way approach in my opinion since it completely disregards all other possibilities.

What are the other possibilities? :crazy:
    How would hearing about rebirth make those who believe in it happy?
    Its supposed to be a bad thing.

Being happy is a bad thing? Well if you believe in God and I tell you "God or your God is there for you" it will make your heart rejoice
  • edited May 2010
    What are the other possibilities? :crazy:

Being happy is a bad thing? Well if you believe in God and I tell you "God or your God is there for you" it will make your heart rejoice

I am in no position to propose a variety of possible outcomes. I am in a position to conclude that the exclusion of them is at the very least a rash conclusion.

I never said being happy was a bad thing. Anyone who gets a warm and fuzzy feeling after hearing about teachings on the endless rounds of suffering that are associated with samsaric rebirth should have their head examined.
    Also if you told me that "God was there for me" I dont think it would make my heart rejoice.
    It would most likely lead me to an attempt to refute the idea of a first cause.
  • edited May 2010
    oh! and I forgot this:

:)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I am in no position to propose a variety of possible outcomes. I am in a position to conclude that the exclusion of them is at the very least a rash conclusion.

So you are stating a conclusion that the exclusion of "something" which you are not in a position to conclude is a rash conclusion :crazy:
    I never said being happy was a bad thing. Anyone who gets a warm and fuzzy feeling after hearing about teachings on the endless rounds of suffering that are associated with samsaric rebirth should have their head examined.

You are misinterpreting my statement. What you are describing might not cause happiness in people but telling someone who already believes in rebirth that "if you do good deeds you will be born in a heavenly realm" will make their hearts rejoice.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Also if you told me that "God was there for me" I dont think it would make my heart rejoice.
    It would most likely lead me to an attempt to refute the idea of a first cause.

This is not about you. Christians for example take joy in the thought of the existence of God as they believe in God. Every time they hear something about God their hearts rejoice as their pre-existing belief is flattered.
  • edited May 2010
    So you are stating a conclusion that the exclusion of "something" which you are not in a position to conclude is a rash conclusion :crazy:

You are misinterpreting my statement. What you are describing might not cause happiness in people but telling someone who already believes in rebirth that "if you do good deeds you will be born in a heavenly realm" will make their hearts rejoice.

I think its rash to make assumptions. I also think its rash to come to conclusions about that which cannot be verified. I also think its rash to conclude that certain interpretations of Buddhist scriptures are the only valuable ones.
    I dont misinterpret your statement. I got it.
    I think that if people hear something like "if you do good deeds you will be born is a heavenly realm" and lets out a sign of relief, that they are delusional and have a juvenile understanding of the concepts that are taught in relation to karma and rebirth based upon the interpretation that is relevant to that scenario.
    If that makes people exhibit virtuous conduct thats fine but I am not a fan of hopes and fears being guides to personal spiritual progress.
    Personally, I'm not concerned with my "rebirth" or if it even happens, but I am not willing to hang any hopes on it either way. I think that if people do they are making assumptions about that which cant be verified and are limiting and clinging to, their view.
    No matter what it is.
  • edited May 2010
    This is not about you. Christians for example take joy in the thought of the existence of God as they believe in God. Every time they hear something about God their hearts rejoice as their pre-existing belief is flattered.
    I know its not "about" me. I was kind of joking. and, we are having a conversation, I was merely referencing your statement.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think that if people do they are making assumptions about that which cant be verified and are limiting and clinging to, their view.

:crazy:

I am not making assumptions. I am stating what is verifiable. The birth and death of the ego is verifiable in this moment.

However, it is an assumption or should I say speculation (unverifiable) to think that when we die we are born again in some "realm" based on kamma and that "samsaric" cycle of physical births and deaths turns and turns until you attain nibbana ...

Oh well, I'm off to bed
  • edited May 2010
    :crazy:

I am not making assumptions. I am stating what is verifiable. The birth and death of the ego is verifiable in this moment.

However, it is an assumption or should I say speculation (unverifiable) to think that when we die we are born again in some "realm" based on kamma and that "samsaric" cycle of physical births and deaths turns and turns until you attain nibbana ...

Oh well, I'm off to bed

I dont think we are disagreeing.
    sleep well.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It's nice how a seemingly disagreement which started off with a comment like "This is funny" developed into an agreement :D
  • edited May 2010
    It's nice how a seemingly disagreement which started off with a comment like "This is funny" developed into an agreement :D
    sometimes it takes a snarky remark to eventually find common ground. :D
  • edited May 2010
    1. What is your view on Nirvana? If the life stream ends after death then why persue Nirvana at all? What is your motive to cultivate?
    Nirvana is no more or less than eradication of all forms of "self" created by the mind, to bring one's true nature as selfless into harmony with a selfless universe. Though we call ourselves individuals, there is no individual, only aggregates functioning through conditionality; causality, the chain of "change" (which I would call "life") from moment to moment as described by Dependent Origination. Our motivation is that which brought us here; suffering. The mind does not have to be out of balance and blind; it just is. We're too intelligent, and that intelligence comes with a price.
    2. What is the cause of Birth? (I mean the womb-kind) I understand that most people who disbelive in rebirth holds to the alternative explanation of the dependent origination. So if there is no life before this one then how does the karmic flow begin? Which is the first volitional action? If I did not exist in the first place then how could I have accumalated Karma to be born at all?
    That's too many questions altogether. :) Birth happens exactly as science has shown that it happens. When speaking of life, you attach a self to that life... "life" exists before you and after you. You come of life, are life, and constitute new life. Some take this to mean that "you" personally constitute new life, but as all phenomena are selfless that is merely a delusion of self. The Arahant knows that there will be no more rebirth not because he's achieved Nirvana, but because there never was rebirth. It is an ill-conception born of the self's clinging to existence. You can view it metaphorically, but only literally if you mean that all things are reborn from moment to moment and in selfless fashion.
    3. Is there a better translation of the words rebirth so often used in the pali canon? Or do you believe that the canon is altered to encompass the notion of rebirth?
    The Canon has undergone change, yes, but intentional change? It wound seem not, as the sources passed down these teachings through very superhuman memorization. It is debatable whether the Canon actually teaches rebirth or not, or if that is merely of the commentators, or if rebirth may have been added at the Canon's very conception (orally). It isn't a major issue, except if you make it one. :) I've seen posters who claim that Buddha never taught rebirth, others who claim he taught it was delusion, others who claim he taught it just as their tradition maintains, and yet others who claim he taught it metaphorically. In the end, there's just not enough evidence on this one.
    4. Does anybody know of any enlightend person that denies rebirth?
    Not a fully enlightened being, no. I know of one that has gone beyond the stream-entry event that finds it unnecessary and misleading (to date). There is the possibility that rebirth does occur literally, yet this concept does not "mesh" with the rest of the teachings and can seemingly only be proven by death or seeing "past lives". If you find those who have claimed to see their past lives, at least consider such information along your journey. Yet, unverified teachings are not what Buddhism is about.
    5. When you claim that rebirth belief is not essential to core buddhism then what do you mean by core buddhism?
    I'm not going to touch that one. My conception of core Buddhism may differ from that of others, and a definitive answer is not forthcoming. Some may actually find belief in rebirth helpful, while others have difficulty coping with it either as a truth or as a falsehood. There is no Buddhism that teaches rebirth that all people will agree with, and all forms teach something of this concept. Paradox. If Buddhism were to become a world-religion (religion used loosely), spreading to all of humanity like super-Christianity (lol sorry), how would all be united? What would be the solution to that which is so clearly divisive? Time will tell.

~
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi and thanks for your replies.

Regarding anicca I was referring to the physical death as could I had hoped be understood by reading the quote. :)

Everything is a mental construct and all those are impermenant I agree. When you think of them they are there and when not they are gone. But Death of the person, the illusory self was specifically what I was asking for. Lets stick with mundus quote in this one:

MN 141

And what is death? Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death.

This state described above, that the former living thing enters, that which is not seperable from the state of paranibbana according to an earlier post of DD. When does that state end?

That was my question.

Regarding the interpretation of the suttas in different ways. I still find it confusing.

Could you perhaps guide me to some book or resource from which I can learn how to recongize which sutta is lokauttara and which is lokiya?

@DD and Mundus.

Yes I can see that the body is changing from second to second. But I think it's change is continuous. The Perception of its change is discrete.

So when you say Break up of the body it is a figure of speach to denote this change and the body does not in reality break up, only change.

@Deshy your personal view was exactly what I was asking for so keep it coming! :)

@Stephen Is there any way to contact the master who has gone beyond sotapanna? I would like to ask him/her some questions about anatta.
  • edited May 2010
    I know of two such that have made the claim, but as is found in Buddhist teachings to truly know an enlightened mind requires much time; you really need to know the person. I will PM you the two names, and you may of course contact either one, but understand that there is no master; no teacher; no student. At the very least we should steer clear of calling such a one a "master", for they are no more a master then one who has never heard of Buddhism.

Be well, and good luck. You have a lot of material in this thread to digest, and who knows what may be the case? :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

Everything is a mental construct and all those are impermenant I agree. When you think of them they are there and when not they are gone.

Gone in the sense, gone from your sensual contacts. But just because you don't think about your cat doesn't make it non-existent. Whether or not I call my mum, mum, aunt, by her name or do not label her in anyway doesn't deny her existence. Denying existence is probably nihilism. Buddhism is about identifying that, whatever exists is just impermanent natural phenomena bound to change and ego-less. :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    But Death of the person, the illusory self was specifically what I was asking for. Lets stick with mundus quote in this one:

MN 141

And what is death? Whatever deceasing, passing away, breaking up, disappearance, dying, death, completion of time, break up of the aggregates, casting off of the body, interruption in the life faculty of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called death.

This state described above, that the former living thing enters, that which is not seperable from the state of paranibbana according to an earlier post of DD. When does that state end?

That was my question.

I don't understand your question. Would you care to elaborate more?

If you are asking the state after physical death in everyday language then all we know is, the body remains for a while and slowly decays adding its elements back to the nature.

The Buddha has not told about how a link can be created between this life and the next if there is one. He never told about the beginning and the end of the universe either. My advice is to stay away from speculations. What he taught was the cessation of suffering and rebirth is not really relevant to that just like the beginning and end of the world is not. I hope you understated that by now
    edited May 2010
    Hi
    Forget my question about death and anicca. I am posing my question wrong sorry for the confusion.

If I ever get my head straight about this one I will get back to you.

For now I would be grateful if you could direct me to some resource which explaines how to pick out a worldly sutta from a supermundane sutta.

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    For now I would be grateful if you could direct me to some resource which explaines how to pick out a worldly sutta from a supermundane sutta.

I don't know any such guide. I would also like to see one though. Generally the suttas in AN are focused on lay followers thus it has short suttas mostly with moral teachings, rebirth and the like. I wouldn't rely on the suttas in DN. Some of them seem like later additions. So I would suggest the suttas in MN and SN. However, it is better to send a PM to some sutta expert and ask (try DD or Mundus)

Also, as I already did, I would recommend you BB's essays. They will help you get an idea of the essence of the Buddha's teachings in simple language. Without that background knowledge it will be hard to comprehend half of what the Buddha is talking about in the suttas, mundane or otherwise.
    edited May 2010
    I don't know any such guide. I would also like to see one though. Generally the suttas in AN are focused on lay followers thus it has short suttas mostly with moral teachings, rebirth and the like. I wouldn't rely on the suttas in DN. Some of them seem like later additions. So I would suggest the suttas in MN and SN. However, it is better to send a PM to some sutta expert and ask (try DD or Mundus)

Also, as I already did, I would recommend you BB's essays. They will help you get an idea of the essence of the Buddha's teachings in simple language. Without that background knowledge it will be hard to comprehend half of what the Buddha is talking about in the suttas, mundane or otherwise.

Thanks Deshy. My question was for everyone so I hope they will find the time to answer. I guess it is not as easy as "taking a course" or reading one book. But any hint to get started is appreciated. BB it is. Thanks again.

/Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    You're welcome :)
  • edited May 2010
    i don't understand the importance of speculating about rebirth? it is just speculation, no?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited May 2010
    armando wrote: »
    i don't understand the importance of speculating about rebirth? it is just speculation, no?
    yep. makes no difference. hence, don't bother.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010

Yet, some people believe it is an important integral part of Buddhist teachings due to misinterpreted later additions like "rebirth linking consciousness”, "seed consciousness" etc.
  • edited May 2010
    My view is that its absolutely pointless speculating about rebirth. For me, focusing on this lifetime is what's relevent in the here and now.

(Apologies if I've said this already, I'm in a hurry and haven't time to look back through the topic!:))

edited May 2010
    Hi armando

Buddha taught rebirth which means he believed it and found it important enough to teach. Why would he do that if it was mere speculation or it did not matter? And I am not referring to "misinterpreted later additions" to the suttas. :)

Anything is just speculation until you have validated it for yourself.

For instance can you prove to me that the world is round right now? Or is it in fact only speculation on your part?

It will not matter to you in the daily life or any fantastic thing you want to do on earth right up to de moment you want to leave the planet. Then it will matter.

In anology, as I understand it the Buddha only first related seeing past lifes the very night he attained Enlightenment. So maybe it will not really matter until then.

On the third hand I find rebirth to be a pretty good motivational argument to cultivate. But that is of course a personal issue.

Existance of rebirth or nonexistance of rebirth makes a huge difference in understanding Buddhism and its goal Nibbana.

Howdy
    /Victor
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Buddha taught rebirth which means he believed it and found it important enough to teach. Why would he do that if it was mere speculation or it did not matter?

We have been through this before and this question has been answered

Of Course :D That is right. The core Buddhist teachings are verifiable here and now in this lifetime by the average person. Is rebirth?
    For instance can you prove to me that the world is round right now?

It has already been proven that the world is not flat.
    In anology, as I understand it the Buddha only first related seeing past lifes the very night he attained Enlightenment. So maybe it will not really matter until then.

It has been referred in this very thread before that this is not past life recollection but past dwellings.
    On the third hand I find rebirth to be a pretty good motivational argument to cultivate.

Of course it is. Which is why it is a moral teaching taught for cultivating good and morality in people. No more, no less
    Existance of rebirth or nonexistance of rebirth makes a huge difference in understanding Buddhism and its goal Nibbana.

Really? :D Then why is it not even mentioned in the Buddha's first sermon and why is it not even mentioned the core Buddhist teachings?
    edited May 2010
    Hola amiga!:)

First of all Deshy that which you are answering is my answer to armando. I.e. it is my opinion.
    Victorious wrote:
    Buddha taught rebirth which means he believed it and found it important enough to teach. Why would he do that if it was mere speculation or it did not matter?
    We have been through this before and this question has been answered

That "question" has not at all been answered very satisfactorily.

All the answer I have got so far is "Yes Buddha did teach rebirth but he did not believe it":-/ in different nuances which would make the Buddha a liar or a deciever. I refuse to believe that. And frankly I would not buy a car from anyone argueing that point.:D

Victorious wrote:
    Of Course :D That is right. The core Buddhist teachings are verifiable here and now in this lifetime by the average person. Is rebirth?

Yes as I have explained several times in this thread it is. The Buddha himself verified it and the method to verify it is still there in Buddhism for the person who needs it.

Victorious wrote:
    For instance can you prove to me that the world is round right now?
    It has already been proven that the world is not flat.

That was not the issue. The question is can you prove it or are you leaning against some authority who says that the world is round? If you can't then you are merely speculating that the world is round. If you are taking some scientists word for it then it should not be a big step for you to take the Buddhas word that rebirth exsits.

It has been referred in this very thread before that this is not past life recollection but past dwellings.
    What is a past dwelling? Which sutta are you talking about where he recollects past dwellings and how would recollection of past dwellings be monumental in Buddhas enlightenment?
    Victorious wrote:
    On the third hand I find rebirth to be a pretty good motivational argument to cultivate.
    Of course it is. Which is why it is a moral teaching taught for cultivating good and morality in people. No more, no less
    But it has also been argued that belief in rebirth is a hindrence to cultivate!? Which do you really believe?

Victorious wrote:
    Really? :D Then why is it not even mentioned in the Buddha's first sermon and why is it not even mentioned the core Buddhist teachings?

You have a translation where it is not? Which one?

For instance whether nirvana is a state not much differentiable from death (in the case of no rebirth) or if it is the salvation from countless kalpas of misery (in case of rebirth) makes a pretty obvious difference to me. Would you not say?

Kindly
    Victor
  • edited May 2010
    the buddha taught the cessation of suffering. i struggle with my practice and the four noble truths and the eightfold path just about fill my small plate. i find the anapanasati sutta very helpful. the question of rebirth is irrelevant to my practice. staying awake and mindful is a full time job when i remember to stay awake and mindful, which is really not that often.

http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble1.htm
    edited May 2010
    the buddha taught the cessation of suffering. i struggle with my practice and the four noble truths and the eightfold path just about fill my small plate. i find the anapanasati sutta very helpful. the question of rebirth is irrelevant to my practice. staying awake and mindful is a full time job when i remember to stay awake and mindful, which is really not that often.

http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble1.htm

I am not sure what you are getting at. Being mindful does not require belief in rebirth but understanding the four noble truths requires at least that you believe that the buddha believed in rebirth. Because the concept is used in that which is called Right View in the four noble truths.

But good luck in any case.

/Victor
    edited May 2010
    Hi again armando.

If you have difficulty being mindful in everyday events. That is fully understandable. I have the same problem. What I do is take five minute breaks from time to time to reestabilish my mindfulness. Set your watch on alarm every (or every other) hour to remind you.

Also when you have time of like on weekends then you you should practise the more.

Do not give up and good luck

/Victor
  • edited May 2010
    hi vic,

thanks for sharing about mindfulness. it's helpful.

i don't know if i agree with your understanding of right view, though. what do you think of this perception?
    "The path to liberation from these miserable states of being, as taught by the Buddha, has eight points and is known as the eightfold path. The first point is called right view -- the right way to view the world. Wrong view occurs when we impose our expectations onto things; expectations about how we hope things will be, or about how we are afraid things might be. Right view occurs when we see things simply, as they are. It is an open and accommodating attitude. We abandon hope and fear and take joy in a simple straight-forward approach to life."
    thanks again.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    What is a past dwelling? Which sutta are you talking about where he recollects past dwellings and how would recollection of past dwellings be monumental in Buddhas enlightenment?

Please read the references. You have been referred to relevant texts a few times.

You stated that the Buddha remembered his past lives the first night he attained nibbana. These are not "past life" memories but past dwellings. Past dwelling is any memory of the past and it can certainly be of this life. Why do you think they are of previous "lives"?

The actual pali-English translation for "pubbenivasa"would mean
    Nivāsa [fr. nivasati2] stopping, dwelling, resting-- place, abode; living, sheltering

Nevāsika (adj.) [fr. nivāsa, cp. BSk. naivāsika AvS i.286, 287] one who inhabits, an inmate; living in a place, local

pubbenivasa would mean to remember someone's previous existence or abode. That does not necessarily mean a pre-birth existence in another life.

Actually, a person's past memories of different births are those instances that he recalls different self identifications in this life. For instances I remember a lot of my previous births as

1) A lover
    2) A school kid
    3) An advisor

The Buddha, in the night of his enlightenment, saw how these self views came up in his mind in the past; millions of different births (Not physical births) and he saw how these self views are just grasping of the five aggregates as me and mine. He saw how we grasp at any one of the five aggregates as me and mine and how the self view arise in the mind (a single birth).
    Bhikkhus, any group of Samanas or Brahmins when recollecting pubbenivasa (previous dwellings), naturally recollect such previous dwellings in diverse numbers; in doing so, all of those Samanas and Brahmins recollect the five upadana-khandhas or any one of the five upadana-khandhas. What are these five? The five are …

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect rupa (form) as "in the distant past we had a rupa like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vedana (feeling) as "in the distant past we had vedana like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sanya (recognition, perception) as "in the distant past we had sanya like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sankhara (concocting, thinking, emotions) as "in the distant past we had sankhara like this."

Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vinyana as "in the distant past we had a vinyana like this."

Having seen thus, he saw the cause of all duhhka aka mental clinging to the five aggregates as me and mine. Thus, seeing the cause of dukkha he eradicated the cause and attained nibbana.

The "recollection of past births" have been greatly misunderstood by certain people :)
This discussion has been closed.