Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism without Rebirth.- questions.

Comments

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Where has conciousness been interpreted as a seed? I would like to see a reference.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Consciousnesses

Store consciousness (ālayavijñāna)

It may have developed from concepts in some early buddhist schools.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference"></sup>
    Store consciousness accumulates all potential energy for the aggregate of the 'bodymind' (Sanskrit: namarupa), the mental (nama) and physical (rupa) manifestation of one's existence, and supplies the substance to all existences. It also receives impressions from all functions of the other consciousnesses and retains them as potential energy for their further manifestations and activities. Since it serves as the basis for the production of the other seven consciousnesses (called the "evolving" or "transforming" consciousnesses), it is also known as the base consciousness (mūla-vijñāna) or causal consciousness. Since it serves as the container for all experiential impressions (termed metaphorically as bija or "seeds"), it is also called the seed consciousness (種子識) or container consciousness.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The word vinnana literally means 'cognition'. The literal meaning of the word is not 'energy', 'life force', etc.

Viññāṇa (nt.) [fr. vi+jñā; cp. Vedic vijñāna cognition]

Some early Buddhist schools may have described a dog as a 'cat' but generally a dog is a 'dog' just as cognition is 'cognition'.

It seems some early Buddhist schools sought to develop concepts about some permanent binding substance.

These concepts are very close to atman, god, brahman, etc, with the flavour of permanence.

:)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Consciousnesses

Store consciousness (ālayavijñāna)

It may have developed from concepts in some early buddhist schools.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference"></sup>
    Store consciousness accumulates all potential energy for the aggregate of the 'bodymind' (Sanskrit: namarupa), the mental (nama) and physical (rupa) manifestation of one's existence, and supplies the substance to all existences. It also receives impressions from all functions of the other consciousnesses and retains them as potential energy for their further manifestations and activities. Since it serves as the basis for the production of the other seven consciousnesses (called the "evolving" or "transforming" consciousnesses), it is also known as the base consciousness (mūla-vijñāna) or causal consciousness. Since it serves as the container for all experiential impressions (termed metaphorically as bija or "seeds"), it is also called the seed consciousness (種子識) or container consciousness.

The Wikipedia? :eek: You got to be kidding me. :lol:
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Motivation to cultivate is to end suffering here and now, in this lifetime. Suffering springs from attachments that are caused by self identification. I don't care if the "life stream" ends after death or continues. It is not relevant to my suffering at this moment. It is not relevant to suffering at any moment. The cause of your suffering is not physical birth. The cause of your suffering is self identification and clinging to phenomena as "me and my self". The very question "why do you practice if your life stream ends after death" has self identification written all over it

Yes but what I can not figure out is this. My life is not full of so much suffering. And most people around me would agree as to their own lifes. This western life is pretty relaxed. The probability of me running into any serious trouble before death are pretty slim. If there really is nothing to fear beyond death then hey I would go for the self identification, the Yacht and the barbeque.

And I assure you that is not just me.
    Irrelevant to the cessation of suffering. Would be a hot topic of debate in some philosophical circles though. It is unskillful to speculate over this too much to the real problem you have at hand.

But if life ends at death I would say, "What problem? Oh that arrow thing again, lets discuss it on my Yacht? Maybe have a barbaque?".

See what I am getting at?

I don't think there is anyone there receiving karmic ramifications. Who said you accumulate kamma in order to be born?
    Well if you believe the suttas are correct I believe the Buddha Gotama said that. Think about it for a second. What is the purpose of me trying to evolve a mindset that does not accrue further Karma if someone else is shoving it upp my behind?.

I think this explanation of kamma is good.
    Thanks. What he is saying is that the Buddhistic notion of Karma is void if I understand it correctly? According to this model of explanation bad karma fruitions does not have to depend on previous bad karma and vice versa?
    That does contradict the Buddhistic view of Karma no?
    Now I understand what you ment by "Sex". It is not only that you avoid pondering karma results but also you do not view the body as dependent on previous karmic action. Am I correct?
    Once you realize not-self properly all these questions will be irrelevant to you.
    Have you realized non-self?

Dependent Origination.
    Thanks very interesting. I begin to see your resoning now. To tell you the truth this explanation occurred to me the one of the first times I read the dependent origination. That it does not have to span three life times.

Thank you for your time. I need to think about this for a while.

/Victor

PS
    I really do not have Yacht but if you can convince me there really is only this life to consider I am bl**dy going to get me one. And have a barbacue at Sea.

Just kidding. :-)
    DS
    edited April 2010
    :lol:

I understand your frustration. There are times that DD can be pretty annoying but if you read what he says carefully and not take his comments too personally, you are going to get a lot out of them. Trust me on that one

DD is Australian from what I know. Btw. I am from SL ;)

There is no frustration over DD. :).

To tell you the truth I am more frustrated trying to encompass your standpoint on karma and the DO. :winkc:. It kind of really topples the box for me.
    edited April 2010
    i will be chinese for a minute. my view on nirvana, i am in its forest. nirvana pursues itself, no one pursues samsara. nirvana is peace, joy, it is also delight even if made from chocolate.

in atheist-speculology, this is a dead-end question because they missed the left turn. the sun causes birth and so do the stars. ignorance is the engine of rebirth, or maybe a simple lostness. these are interesting questions!!!
    that's a good question
    i do know some that affirm it!

good question victor!!

Well what can I say. You Zen guys are all the same.:)

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    What is the cause of Birth? (I mean the womb-kind)

Sex. What is the cause of sex?

Attachment. What is the cause attachment?

Desire. What is the cause desire?

Feeling. What is the cause feeling?

Contact. What is the cause contact?

6 sense bases. What is the cause sense bases?

Name and form. What is the cause nameform?

Consciousness. What is the cause consciousness?

Volitional formations. What is the cause volitional formations?

Ignorance.

Thank you
    How does Volitional formations "transform" into consciousness?

/Victor
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Whenever there is a thread about rebirth, some members of this forum circle it like vultures, quoting suttas to prove their points.
    They generally come out when someone has made a dogmatic statement in support of rebirth, based on some favored interpretation this or that sutra. To the extent that that's true, they play an extremely valuable role.

I like the vulture imagery. Harbingers of death. It's what the practice is ultimately all about, after all. :)
    Nios wrote: »
    My point was, the only real way to know what the buddha said is by practice and insight, not through arguing who has the correct translation.
    It's true that practice and insight are the only things which really matter, but when people are making dogmatic statements about what this or that sutra implies for a cosmological question like rebirth, throwing out alternative translations shows just how muddy the philological waters are, and hopefully brings people down from their high horses.
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    I wonder why you came looking for something that you already see as dissonant? You admit to being unable to open your mind to someone's view, which in itself seems dissonant from the dhamma... predisposed to labeling a person as "irrational" based on subjective perceptions of unimportant details. Were you seeking to joust?

Hi Matt.

I assure you I was not out to joust or banter. I hold Buddhism and fellow Buddhists in to high regard. I did not banter with DD did I?

I am truly interested in making sense of the notion of non-rebirth. But in my mind when I tought about it before posting here it entailed Changing the DO and the Karma and the notion of Nibbana (as I am accustommed to). But I could not figure out exactly how. That is what I am trying to find out here.

The view that it is not logical nor rational to claim nonrebirth is not my idea. It is the foundations of science that refutes such claims. Of course if you are able to show me how science is wrong on that account I will gladly consider such thesis in the future.

aMatt wrote: »
    There are so many views on rebirth, what is rebirth, what does it mean to be reborn, what part of our experiences have continuity... its best to simply let it be in my opinion... because the examination usually arises from a fear of death and transience, which of itself does not help us move into a more open space.

The idea of rebirth being objectively true doesn't really impact the faith in the moment, which is the continued perception that I offer you. It would be more disconcerting, the energy that arises in your mind when someone who does not believe in rebirth comes before you, and how you then have difficulty relating to them based on your attachments to what is 'right'...closing off the open resonance. Yes? No?

With warmth,

Matt

Those reasons are exactly two of the reasons that makes me post here. I do not think I fear death but I am considering it in this process. Also I am trying to confront my frustration over this claim and the way it attacks my buddhist conviction. Where do you practice not falling into the water? Where else but at the brink of the river?

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    I understand your frustration. There are times that DD can be pretty annoying but if you read what he says carefully and not take his comments too personally, you are going to get a lot out of them. Trust me on that one

DD is Australian from what I know
    Yeah, you've gotta watch out for us Australians. We're all criminals, too.
    edited April 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    To tell you the truth I am more frustrated trying to encompass your standpoint on karma and the DO. :winkc:. It kind of really topples the box for me.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    edited April 2010
    Thank you
    How does Volitional formations "transform" into consciousness?

/Victor
    He didn't say it's a transformation, he said consciousness is causally dependent on volitional formations. Does that make more sense?
    edited April 2010
    Buddhist atheists? Trying to think of some Buddhist Atheists. I know many Buddhists but they do not call themselves Atheists, Theists, or Agnostics. Maybe "non-theist" in that Theism is irrelevant. These views are ...views, relative positions and they are provisional...maybe, but then let-go-of in the course of practice.. The focus is on experiential practice, in which such views come and go. These folks are not just without-views in the sense of being nebulous. They are very precise and sharp. Theist, Atheist, Agnostic.. these positions drop off.

There is Stephen Batchelor. have you read him?

Well he did write the book Confession of a BuddhistAtheist so I guess he at least calls himself one :). No I have not read him but I have read some articles on tricyle mag about his work and also the debate with Thurman. I have downloaded his Buddhism without beliefs and intend to digest it when ever I get time.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    Ok here is a post made by DD in some other thread which I am going to copy and paste here with reference. I think his explanation is pretty good on the matter of the "'gandabba".

Thanks again. I will look into it.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    I am truly interested in making sense of the notion of non-rebirth.
    There is no notion of non-rebirth, any more than there is a notion of non-astrology. People reject ideas because they seem to serve no useful purpose, explanatory or otherwise. Such rejection is not an idea in itself.
    But in my mind when I tought about it before posting here it entailed Changing the DO and the Karma and the notion of Nibbana (as I am accustommed to). But I could not figure out exactly how. That is what I am trying to find out here.

I apologize if I missed the links to these essays while skimming this thread:

Practical Dependent Origination
    Karma Doesn't Explain Anything

In addition, this series of podcasts titled "Ideology and Wisdom" does not directly address your doctrinal questions, but it point to a way to honor the core intent of the teachings without getting hung up on such questions. Along the same lines, this essay on how Buddhist practice ends attachment to views is very insightful.
    The view that it is not logical nor rational to claim nonrebirth is not my idea. It is the foundations of science that refutes such claims.
    You are completely correct. One cannot prove a negative. By the same token, the onus of demonstration is on the person making positive claims.
    ...I am trying to confront my frustration over this claim and the way they atttack my buddhist conviction. Where do you practice not falling into the water? Where else but at the brink of the river?
    If you're in a hurry to get where the practice is taking you, fall right in! It won't stop you from practicing. I have done approximately 4000 hours of meditation over the last 9 years. When I started, I was a virulent atheist. Now, roughly speaking I am a radical agnostic. Despite these doctrinal positions, I'm about as committed to Buddhist practice as it is possible for a layperson to be. It is my alpha and omega. (Hmm, there is work to be done, there.)
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    He didn't say it's a transformation, he said consciousness is causally dependent on volitional formations. Does that make more sense?

Could you give me a real world example? I think I can get my mind around all he other steps/transitions but this one boggles me.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There is no frustration over DD. :).

Good :D

My standpoint on kamma is "don't worry about it". Having said that, the article I directed you to is a better explanation than thinking kammic ramification is something "you receive" which helps you to be born or reborn and kamma is cause and effect.

Which standpoint on DO can you digest? The version which says DO talks about kamma and rebirth?
  • edited April 2010
    The Wikipedia? :eek: You got to be kidding me. :lol:
    That is a really bad source but he alayavijnana is interpreted in this way in the yogacara school. Yogacara has its problems.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes but what I can not figure out is this. My life is not full of so much suffering. And most people around me would agree as to their own lifes. This western life is pretty relaxed. The probability of me running into any serious trouble before death are pretty slim. If there really is nothing to fear beyond death then hey I would go for the self identification, the Yacht and the barbeque.

And I assure you that is not just me.

But if life ends at death I would say, "What problem? Oh that arrow thing again, lets discuss it on my Yacht? Maybe have a barbaque?".

See what I am getting at?

Suffering is not only death, "serious trouble" you face in your life like losing a loved one, getting cancer or falling down and breaking your leg. Suffering can be even more subtle than that. Sadness, anxieties, frustrations, anger, greed, lust, jealousy, desires, constant seeking of sensory pleasures, agitation etc. I am sure you go through all this day in and day out. All this is suffering caused due to craving and clinging caused by the self identification.

The "western life" as you put it with the Yacht and the barbaque maybe fun and happy although it can be temporary. But the Buddha said there is something which is supreme to these sensory pleasures. A supreme happiness which surpasses all these temporary happiness you get through sensory indulgences.

You can reflect on this reality bit by bit. I can very well say that if you do not identify with the inherent suffering in life and seek supreme satisfaction of Nibbana then there is no need for practice. But then I would be doing you wrong.

Well if you believe the suttas are correct I believe the Buddha Gotama said that. Think about it for a second. What is the purpose of me trying to evolve a mindset that does not accrue further Karma if someone else is shoving it upp my behind?.

Showing what up your whatever? :lol: I already told you. There is noone receiving kammic ramification. Kamma is a mere moral teaching. Be a good person whether there is rebirth or not, whether there is kamma or not. If you do good in the hope of good kamma or in fear of kamma then you are missing the point of letting go. You are not letting go, you are gathering more.
    Thanks. What he is saying is that the Buddhistic notion of Karma is void if I understand it correctly? According to this model of explanation bad karma fruitions does not have to depend on previous bad karma and vice versa?
    That does contradict the Buddhistic view of Karma no?
    Now I understand what you ment by "Sex". It is not only that you avoid pondering karma results but also you do not view the body as dependent on previous karmic action. Am I correct?

Yes I avoid pondering over kamma and results because it is not skillful to speculate over it. When did it begin and how it ends... who knows these things? The Buddha didn't, as far as I know, teach these things. He only taught what is relevant to the cessation of suffeirng. I already quoted to you that according to the Buddha, it is unskillful to ponder over it and it is NOT RELEVANT to the cessation of suffeirng and the attainment of Nibbana. Kamma is merely a moral teaching in Buddhist context. It is not a system of cause of and effect or cosmic punishment.
    Have you realized non-self?

Conceptually maybe but not through direct meditative experience. There is a big difference between "general understanding" and "direct insight". I am still an insignificant Buddhist practitioner struggling to sit still for 10 minutes. ;)
    Thank you for your time. I need to think about this for a while.

Yea I guess you should. I would recommend you texts from Bhikku Buddhadasa. You can cross reference his stuff with the suttas.

I really do not have Yacht but if you can convince me there really is only this life to consider I am bl**dy going to get me one. And have a barbacue at Sea.

Just kidding. :-)
    DS

;) But if there is rebirth maybe you should buy that Yacht... afterall you might end up there in your next life. Who knows. But make sure you do a lot of good kamma because you need kamma (good ones) to ensure a favorable rebirth :D
  • edited April 2010
    hi Deshy,
    You say this:
    "Yes I avoid pondering over kamma and results because it is not skillful to speculate over it"
    and this:
    "Kamma is a mere moral teaching. Be a good person whether there is rebirth or not, whether there is kamma or not."

The second quote clearly highlights the skillful nature of pondering kamma. I agree with you that speculation over the results of specific actions is futile, but the contemplation of karma is an excellent guide to integrating moral conduct into our lives over time.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, you've gotta watch out for us Australians. We're all criminals, too.

:D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    hi Deshy,
    I agree with you that speculation over the results of specific actions is futile, but the contemplation of karma is an excellent guide to integrating moral conduct into our lives over time.

Which is why it is a moral teaching ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Which is why it is a moral teaching ;)
    Which I think we all can agree on.
    edited April 2010
    Could you give me a real world example?
    The language is a bit awkward. The words being used are a bit ambiguous. From the Practical Dependent Origination essay:
    <o></o>Buddhists understand that when the Six Roots come in contact with the Six Objects, and these Objects have value or significance, then the Six Objects support the emergence of Ignorance. For instance, suffering is not experienced if one sees a tree and stone as insignificant, whereas it will be a different matter if one sees a tiger, woman, or something of significance. If a male dog sees a beautiful woman, the latter will be insignificant to the former. If a young man sees the beautiful woman, however, she will be very significant to him. Here the “seeing” of the male dog is not relevant to dependent arising, but the young man’s “seeing” is.

Tree, weeds, and stones are insignificant in ordinary situation, but a diamond, stone statue of a divinity, or tree with special meaning can cause a dependent arising in the citta. Therefore, we may conclude that when the Six Roots come in contact with the Six Objects, the Six Objects must be significant to the viewer for them to bring about ignorance, foolishness, and confusion. Only in such contacts will Consciousness arise in the instant and advance towards Volitional Action. Volitional Action can generate Name-and-Form making the viewer’s normal body and mind abnormal and wild. Consequently, the body and mind experience suffering.
    So consciousness means consciousness of some aspect of experience. The consciousness arises because the aspect of experience is considered significant. The significance develops from moving towards what one wants and away from what one doesn't want, i.e., volitional action.
  • edited April 2010
    The language is a bit awkward. The words being used are a bit ambiguous. From the Practical Dependent Origination essay: So consciousness means consciousness of some aspect of experience. The consciousness arises because the aspect of experience is considered significant. The significance develops from moving towards what one wants and away from what one doesn't want, i.e., volitional action.
    A descent commentary on the 12 links would also support this discussion.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Which I think we all can agree on.

I agree that it is a moral teaching :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "Volitional formations conditions consciousness". If you still have ignorance (no insight into the reality of anicca, dukkha, anatta) then you have ignorant volitional formations which in turn taints your consciousness into ignorant consciousness. "Volitional formations" aka sanskara in the DO means fabricators. Fabricators of the body mind and the speech. In short it would mean in and out breaths, thoughts, evaluations, perceptions etc.

This would be my lousy attempt in giving you a real world example: :D

Due to ignorance you have a perception that "a Yacht is going to be fun if there is no rebirth". :D Then one day, your sense objects make contact with a Yacht. Consciousness arises based on the sense base but due to the "ignorant fabricators" the consciousness (initial cognition) will be tainted and biased. The ignorant contact has already been established (contact is the form, the sense base and the consciousness which arises based on the sense base). Contact it is the condition for feelings, in this case pleasant feelings. "Beautiful Yacht". You crave for the Yacht and develop a desire for it. You dream of buying the Yacht and having a bbq party in it. Becoming... Becoming is the condition for the birth of the self identification. “ It should be mine”. You realize you don’t have enough money. Your hope of being the proud owner of the Yacht is destroyed. You suffer agitation, sadness, frustrations, anger. All this can happen in a matter of seconds in one lifetime.
    edited April 2010
    A descent commentary on the 12 links would also support this discussion.
    What do you mean by descent, here?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think he/she means decent.
    edited April 2010
    Seems unlikely, unless he's being snarky about Buddhadasa Bhikku's commentary.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Also note that the cause of the suffering is not the feelings as such but the attachment. Seeing a beautiful yacht and thinking it is beautiful is not the problem. If you practice mindfulness at the six sense bases and avoid feelings from developing into the whole ego clinging then you would experience a temporary cessation of suffering.
  • edited April 2010
    What do you mean by descent, here?
    its a typo.
    edited April 2010
    Can you point us at a decent commentary, then?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Say please :grin:
    edited April 2010
    Pretty please?

pretty_please_cat.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Can you point us at a decent commentary, then?
    People will most likely enjoy commentaries that come from the point of view of their tradition.
    I was more or less trying to say that people would find a good and thorough commentary on the 12 links useful for this discussion. Thats all.
    I like Deshung Rinpoches discussion of the topic in The Three Levels of Spiritual Perception. HHDL's is brief but solid in The Middle Way.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I was more or less trying to say that people would find a good and thorough commentary on the 12 links useful for this discussion.

Bhikku Bhodi has a very thorough commentary of the DO as well. It has kamma and rebirth in it. And consciousness is landing on the mother's womb and the like

I haven't seen the texts you are referring to but would definitely recommend Bhikku Buddhadasa's text which FB quoted to anyone.
  • edited April 2010
    Bhikku Bhodi has a very thorough commentary of the DO as well. It has kamma and rebirth in it. And consciousness is landing on the mother's womb and the like

I haven't seen the texts you are referring to but would definitely recommend Bhikku Buddhadasa's text which FB quoted to anyone.

The 12 links are a very instructive set of teachings in general.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Unfortunately the commentaries that give a lot of instructions are majorly misinterpreted, not verifiable here and now and do not tally with the suttas. I am yet to find a commentary that is better than that of Bhikku Buddhadasa. Suttas are also not so descriptive in general. The most descriptive I find is this and it has no contradictions with the commentary of Bhikku Buddhadasa

Culavedalla Sutta
  • edited April 2010
    Unfortunately the commentaries that give a lot of instructions are majorly misinterpreted, not verifiable here and now and do not tally with the suttas. I am yet to find a commentary that is better than that of Bhikku Buddhadasa. Suttas are also not so descriptive in general. The most descriptive I find is this and it has no contradictions with the commentary of Bhikku Buddhadasa

Culavedalla Sutta

We are going to differ greatly on our opinions of which commentaries we find useful or like and thats totally ok.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Oh well, it's OK then ;)
    edited April 2010
    I think a more thorough answer is required here than the last.

Do not fret I will try to cultivate the mind on cessation of Dukkha. I was going that way anyway but that is going to take some time. But you said:
    This is simply blind faith & delusion. There are jhana masters that can send thought messages half way across the world that do not ascribe in rebirth.

Also, there are jhana masters like Sariputta that had/have no supernormal power whatsover.

As you say attaining jhana is not the only base of developing different mental abilities. Sometimes jhana is not even required. Most times people are afraid to even try a thing to see if it works just of fear of failing. Or they dismiss it argueing it simply can not work!!!

I have tried a whole lot of strange things in my life and never believed in anything I could not do myself.

Recollection of past lifes is not impossible.
    And if you are going to argue that those recollections are more illusory or more false than any other thing experienced in real life then is not that mere scepticism?
    When the mind see objects within itself, these are mental formations. The Buddha taught whatever mental formation, it should be regarded with right wisdom, namely, this is not me, this is not mine, this is not myself.

But that goes for everything and not only recollection of past lives. The only way to percieve anything is through the mind and its cognitive web. That is the very problem that buddhism adresses. No?

Cheers
    Victor
    edited April 2010
    There is no notion of non-rebirth, any more than there is a notion of non-astrology. People reject ideas because they seem to serve no useful purpose, explanatory or otherwise. Such rejection is not an idea in itself.

As I see it if there is a concept of a thing in the mind then by default it will fall into one of three categories. Either the person will have a view that "this thing is false/wrong" or that "this thing is true/is right" or that "I have formed no opinion on this thing".

If a person rejects the idea of rebirth because it seems to serve no useful purpose that I can understand.

And in all fairness I was asking the question of people who reject rebirth entirely. Lucky for me so many others answered as well.:)
    I apologize if I missed the links to these essays while skimming this thread:

Practical Dependent Origination
    Karma Doesn't Explain Anything

In addition, this series of podcasts titled "Ideology and Wisdom" does not directly address your doctrinal questions, but it point to a way to honor the core intent of the teachings without getting hung up on such questions. Along the same lines, this essay on how Buddhist practice ends attachment to views is very insightful.
    Thank you for the summation.
    If you're in a hurry to get where the practice is taking you, fall right in! It won't stop you from practicing. I have done approximately 4000 hours of meditation over the last 9 years. When I started, I was a virulent atheist. Now, roughly speaking I am a radical agnostic. Despite these doctrinal positions, I'm about as committed to Buddhist practice as it is possible for a layperson to be. It is my alpha and omega. (Hmm, there is work to be done, there.)

Agnosticism I like. That is the open mind. I did "sit" more earlier. But now I seem to always be short of time since I became a father 3 years ago.:).

I have some knee problems and prefer standing meditation or mindfulnes during activity. But lately I have discovered I can sit on a really high cushion.
    edited April 2010
    I have some knee problems and prefer standing meditation or mindfulnes during activity...
    I have knee problems too. A kneeling bench works well for me. I have to stretch my quads and ilio-tibial bands first, though, or it ends up hurting my patellae.
    edited April 2010
    How does formations "transform" consciousness?
    Like this. edr91.gif

Or this. :hair:

Or like here at 2.5 minute long You Tube.
    "Imagine, Brahman, a bowl of water mixed with lac, turmeric, dark green or crimson dye. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was. In the same way, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sense-desires... then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed with ill-will... then he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water, heated on a fire, boiling up and bubbling over. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sloth-and-torpor... then he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water covered over with slimy moss and water-plants. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Imagine a bowl of water ruffled by the wind, so that the water trembled, eddied and rippled. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Imagine a bowl of water, agitated, stirred up muddied, put in a dark place...

Sutta
    edited April 2010
    There are times that DD can be pretty annoying...
    edited April 2010
    If there really is nothing to fear beyond death then hey I would go for the self identification, the Yacht and the barbeque.
    Your reasoning is certainly not that of a Buddha. The Buddha advised sensual pleasures bring relatively little happiness but much disappointment, that the suffering in them is greater.

Also, your view presented is there is something intrinsically wrong & harmful with the yacht and the barbeque because having these things will cause you suffering in the next life. But if there was no next life, you would go for these things now.

When the Buddha taught about generosity for example, he advised us it accrues at least five benefits in the here & now, namely, happiness, strength, beauty, long life and self-respect.

For example, which provides more happiness?. Buying a yacht or helping starving dying children in Africa or elsewhere?

2eeh6i0.gif
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Like this. edr91.gif

Or this. :hair:

Or like here at 2.5 minute long You Tube.

LOL

This discussion has been closed.