Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism without Rebirth.- questions.

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

When the Buddha taught about generosity for example, he advised us it accrues at least five benefits in the here & now, namely, happiness, strength, beauty, long life and self-respect.

2eeh6i0.gif

Good one DD.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    The Wikipedia? :eek: You got to be kidding me. :lol:
    So disprove it. I personally doubt you can. You might also want to look at these, which say exactly the same thing:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/12413/alaya-vijnana
    http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/philosophy/maha/032-Alayavijnana.htm
    http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Unconscious-Alaya-Vijnana-Context-Thought/dp/0415406072

Furthermore, Thich Nhat Hanh and others discuss seed consciousness in their works.

You seem to be unaware of this significant teaching.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Daozen, there are so many commentaries, sub commentaries, books, texts, wiki pages that people have written with their own ideas which do not tally with the suttas but that is not the only reason I reject them. They also are not verifiable here and now and they generally depend on mystique notions which are unexplainable like "stream of consciousness" gaining a footing on an embryo etc. The explanations in the suttas are rational, verifiable here and now just like the Buddha would have taught the Dhamma. By following it you can get a taste of what cessation of suffering is like here and now.

If you prefer wikipedia and numerious other texts to the suttas and think they are a more reliable source of Dhamma then so be it :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    <sorry, double post>
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    Furthermore, Thich Nhat Hanh and others discuss seed consciousness in their works. You seem to be unaware of this significant teaching.
    The Buddha did not teach about seed consciousness. It follows even if TNH teaches it, it is irrelevent, with no significance to the Buddha. The Buddha only taught about seed consciousness in the sense of something that grows, generates or sprouts.
    As when a seed is sown in a field
    It grows depending on a pair of factors.
    It requires both the soils nutriments
    And a steady supply of moisture.

Just so the aggregates and elements
    And these six bases of sensory contact
    Have come to be dependent on a cause
    With the cause's breakup they will cease.

SN 5.9

“Thus, too, Ananda,
    karma is the field,
    consciousness is the seed,

craving is the moisture,
    for the consciousness of beings, hindered by

ignorance and fettered by craving,
    that is established in a low realm.

AN 3.76

One must take care to not misinterpret the (one) sutta above.

:)
    edited April 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    How does Volitional formations "transform" into consciousness?
    I previously advised the Buddha did not use the term "volitional formations".
    And what are fabrications [fabricators]? These three are fabrications: bodily fabrications, verbal fabrications, mental fabrications. These are called fabrications.

Paticca-samuppada-vibhanga Sutta: Analysis of Dependent Co-arising
    "Now, lady, what are fabrications [fabricators]?"

"These three fabrications, friend Visakha: bodily fabrications, verbal fabrications, & mental fabrications."

"But what are bodily fabrications? What are verbal fabrications? What are mental fabrications?"

"In-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications. Directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications. Perceptions & feelings are mental fabrications."

Culavedalla Sutta
    Having first directed one's thoughts and made an evaluation, one then breaks out into speech. That's why directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabrications [fabricator].

Culavedalla Sutta
    In short, there are two ways of learning about Buddhism, namely, from the commentators & gurus or from the Buddha & suttas.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Thank you
    How does Volitional formations "transform" into consciousness?

/Victor
    A cartoon in an American medical magazine shows four senior medical students standing together. Three are engaged in active conversation. Only the remaining one turns his head to take notice of a pretty nurse. The caption beneath the cartoon reads: "Guess which one has not done twelve pelvic examinations today." It is doubtful that many persons outside of the medical profession will appreciate the meaning, but to medical students and interns it speaks a reality. During his months of training in obstetrics and gynaecology the medical trainee must spend many hours engaged in examining and handling the most repulsive aspects of female genitals. As a result he finds the female body becoming less attractive and his sexual urges diminishing. During my own years as a medical student and intern, this observation was repeatedly confirmed by the comments of my co-workers, both married and single.
    From ignorance of the true nature of the human body arise the volitional impulses/intentions and consciousness ie. the "pretty" nurse does not appear in the consciousness to those who "sees" the body's true nature(subject to aging, sickness and death). The body-mind then takes up the overall features of a lustful person (feelings, thoughts, moods, facial expressions and gestures) conditioned by his consciousness. The "beautiful" nurse becomes his reality. His sense bases are primed to receive favorable impressions from the nurse. Any contact would gives rise to pleasant/erotic feeling causing desire and attachment. There is becoming and birth of a new identity as lover or partner to the nurse. This new self is dependent on certain conditions being met ie. the nurse reciprocates his attentions. When rejection occurs this identity passes away(minideath) and another one ?rejected lover takes its place through another cycle(Nurse is now a stuck up b____). In this way there are many different selves coming into being.

When mind is still the process is easier to discern. One way is to watch the thoughts arising and fading without getting pulled into the mental stories by the senses. That's why part of the training is the restraint of one's senses.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Good :D
    My standpoint on kamma is "don't worry about it". Having said that, the article I directed you to is a better explanation than thinking kammic ramification is something "you receive" which helps you to be born or reborn and kamma is cause and effect.

In what way is it better? It seem to me as if the traditional explanation is more logical than the one I read in the article.

If good karma does not always yeild good results and the bad karma does not always yield bad results then is buddhist training possible at all?

Was that not one of the views that Gotama refuted?
    Which standpoint on DO can you digest? The version which says DO talks about kamma and rebirth?

Actually I can digest both. As I see it they do not contradict each other.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    Suffering is not only death, "serious trouble" you face in your life like losing a loved one, getting cancer or falling down and breaking your leg. Suffering can be even more subtle than that. Sadness, anxieties, frustrations, anger, greed, lust, jealousy, desires, constant seeking of sensory pleasures, agitation etc. I am sure you go through all this day in and day out. All this is suffering caused due to craving and clinging caused by the self identification.

Yes true. But that is not obvious to most. If I lead a mostly happy life and is satisfied with it I will not know that I am supposedly suffering according to Buddhist standards before I am dead.
    The "western life" as you put it with the Yacht and the barbaque maybe fun and happy although it can be temporary. But the Buddha said there is something which is supreme to these sensory pleasures. A supreme happiness which surpasses all these temporary happiness you get through sensory indulgences.

Yes but that happiness constituetes giving up all sensory pleasure of this life. no? So try and convince the average Ivan Ivanovitch under those premises that he if truly suffering in his daly life and that he needs to read a dozen books on buddhism and mediatate every day to get rid of this suffering and he will just look at you silly.

If you explain about future lives you might just stand a chance.
    Showing what up your whatever? :lol:

That was bldy fast. I changed the word a minute after I wrote it:o.

I already told you. There is noone receiving kammic ramification. Kamma is a mere moral teaching. Be a good person whether there is rebirth or not, whether there is kamma or not. If you do good in the hope of good kamma or in fear of kamma then you are missing the point of letting go. You are not letting go, you are gathering more.

Buddhism has only one true goal and that is to reach Nibbana. Buddhas exposition on Karma serves only one purpose and that is to aid the cultivation. Good karma is that karma that will not hinder you to reach the goal and bad karma is that wich will hinder you. Then there is karma which will stop you entirely. Do you not think at least that kind of karma is worth reflection?

I would say that it is wrong to say that there is someone who recieves karma ramifications, but, and here is the important part, it is also wrong to say that there is noone that recieves karma ramifications.
    Yes I avoid pondering over kamma and results because it is not skillful to speculate over it. When did it begin and how it ends... who knows these things? The Buddha didn't, as far as I know, teach these things. He only taught what is relevant to the cessation of suffeirng. I already quoted to you that according to the Buddha, it is unskillful to ponder over it and it is NOT RELEVANT to the cessation of suffeirng and the attainment of Nibbana.

As I see it it is truly not skillful to ponder too much about karma results. As they are complex and not deterministic.
    But if the Buddha did not wish for us to have some understanding of karma then why did he teach it?

And I would say yes in the way that Nibbana entail the end of all karma formations it is not relevant to ponder too much on karma. But until then there is a need to navigate this sea of karma formations. And at least know not to execute one of the five actions that will totally stop you from reaching tha Goal.

But then again that would not be your view on karma...

Kamma is merely a moral teaching in Buddhist context. It is not a system of cause of and effect or cosmic punishment.

What you are saying here is that there are no volitional actions creating fruitions in the now or future? A DO without karma? What we need to do is end our ignorance and our suffering will stop?
    Conceptually maybe but not through direct meditative experience. There is a big difference between "general understanding" and "direct insight". I am still an insignificant Buddhist practitioner struggling to sit still for 10 minutes. ;)
    10 minutes!? Shame on you! :nonono:

;) But if there is rebirth maybe you should buy that Yacht... afterall you might end up there in your next life. Who knows. But make sure you do a lot of good kamma because you need kamma (good ones) to ensure a favorable rebirth :D

Caught you red handed. You are not a rebirth atheist! You are an agnostic. But it was kind of you to share your views all the same.:)
    edited April 2010

Due to ignorance you have a perception that "a Yacht is going to be fun if there is no rebirth". :D

Yes Thanks. Ahahaha. Know there really is no doubt in my mind that you are a SL woman. :p
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha advised sensual pleasures bring relatively little happiness but much disappointment, that the suffering in them is greater.
    Statistically over several lifetimes I would agree. But I belive Bill is pretty happy were he is.

When the Buddha taught about generosity for example, he advised us it accrues at least five benefits in the here & now, namely, happiness, strength, beauty, long life and self-respect.

For example, which provides more happiness?. Buying a yacht or helping starving dying children in Africa or elsewhere?

2eeh6i0.gif

That depends on my personality and what I regard as valuble in life. That the world is as it is proof to me that most people value the yacht. No?

Did he really say that? If those ramifications are true already in this life then they should be scientifically measurable.

What is your view on Karma? Deshy does if I understand her correctly not believe in Karma per see. Is it the same with you?

/Victor
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Did he really say that? If those ramifications are true already in this life then they should be scientifically measurable.

This is something that is empirically measurable in someone who practices generosity. Next time you're sad, go try giving 10 bucks to someone who really needs it. See what happens.
    edited April 2010
    I previously advised the Buddha did not use the term "volitional formations".
    Words words words.
    I reused the term from another post in this thread,
    In short, there are two ways of learning about Buddhism, namely, from the commentators & gurus or from the Buddha & suttas.

I preferr reading the suttas combined with insight meditation.
    What is the division of the suttas you were referring to? I know there is a mundane and a supramundane way of understanding the texts. But you were dividing the suttas into mundane and supramundane?

What is that division?

/Victor

PS
    I am not an idiot. Even if my woman tells me so from time to time she does not mean it I am sure.

Karma formations have been intrinsic in my understanding of the DO. since the traditional view is that the body and birth is preconditioned by the pre-this-life karma.

Aka without karma there can not be fabrications nor feelings.
    DS

EDIT:

Thank you for the suttas. I too prefer reading the suttas to secondhand instruction.
    But I have not gotten very far yet. I am working on it.

About your translation of Ghandabbas as scent-seed. In my and Deshys language the first word stem Ghanda means (bad) smell or odor rather than scent. Which might fit the bill better. :lol:
  • edited April 2010
    As an example of the practical use of mundane rebirth, here is Je Tsongkhapa, from his Three Principals of the Path. Renunciation of this lifetime & future ones is fostered by thinking along these lines.
    The Purpose of Generating Renunciation

[3] Without the complete intention definitely to be free from circling, [samsara]
    There is no way to pacify attachment seeking pleasurable effects in the ocean of circling.
    Also, by craving for cyclic existence, embodied beings are continuously bound.
    Therefore, at the very beginning seek renunciation.

How to Generate Renunciation

[4] Freedom and endowments are difficult to find
    And life has no time to spare.
    By gaining familiarity with this,
    Attraction to the appearances of this life is reversed.

By thinking over and over again
    That actions and their effects are unbetraying,
    And repeatedly contemplating the miseries of cyclic existence,
    Attraction to the appearances of future lives is reversed.
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    This is something that is empirically measurable in someone who practices generosity. Next time you're sad, go try giving 10 bucks to someone who really needs it. See what happens.

I was referring to strength, beauty and long life.:). But you knew that.

But of course I would not buy the yacht.

I am just saying that most people are not that way.

/Victor
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010

I am not an idiot. Even if my woman tells me so from time to time she does not mean it I am sure.

are you sure?

how much?;)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    As an example of the practical use of mundane rebirth, here is Je Tsongkhapa, from his Three Principals of the Path.
    It's quite possible to practice in accordance with those instructions without bringing rebirth into it.
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    It's quite possible to practice in accordance with those instructions without bringing rebirth into it.

Yes indeed; it is also possible to boil water & sand, hoping to get rice.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In what way is it better? It seem to me as if the traditional explanation is more logical than the one I read in the article.

According to which tradition? I don't see kamma as cause and effect like the Newton's third law. It is reasonable to look at kamma as mere habitual tendencies. A person who develops his mind in hatred and anger towards someone will experience agitation and frustration which makes him suffer. That would be his bad kamma. A person who lied would feel guilty and not get enough sleep during the night. That would be his bad kamma. A person who lies constantly to others might gain a bad reputation in society and at work. That would be his bad kamma.

A person getting cancer might not be because of his bad kamma from past lives. But if he grieves endlessly in this life thinking "I must have done something terrible in my past life and I am going to die a horrible death now" and develops his mind in self clinging then that very grief and frustration will be his bad kamma. He will experience hell here and now. If he thinks "I have cancer that is fine. There is no need for mind to be sick because my body is sick" he would be at peace and harmony with the way things are. That would be his good kamma.

This, my friend, is how I see kamma. Then you would see the results of the way you direct your mind in this lifetime itself. Kamma to you won't be a cosmic account but mere habitual tendencies. You would keep in peace and live in merit without any effort.
    If good karma does not always yeild good results and the bad karma does not always yield bad results then is buddhist training possible at all?

I told you how before
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

Actually I can digest both. As I see it they do not contradict each other.

/Victor

Have you read both? If so how could you have failed to identify the obvious contradictions.

1) One version talks about a "seed or a continuum of consciousness". Other talks about consciousness as of six types arising based on the six sense bases as per the Buddha explained it in many suttas.

2) One relies on rebirth. The other doesn't talk about rebirth at all. Only birth and death of the ego

3) One says a cycle of DO happens over three lifetimes or at least two. The other says a cycle of the DO can happen many times within this lifetime itself

4) One version is not verifiable in this lifetime thus its use as a doctrine for cessation of suffering within this lifetime is almost nonexistent. The other is verifiable here and now and if rightly applied can get a taste of what Nibbana is like in this lifetime.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes true. But that is not obvious to most. If I lead a mostly happy life and is satisfied with it I will not know that I am supposedly suffering according to Buddhist standards before I am dead.

Not all people during the Buddha's days even followed the Buddhist path. Delusion is such that people do not easily identify that self clinging is causing suffering. If you feel that you don't mind the agitations, anger, sadness, frustrations, anxieties etc you go though day in and day out and you do not need the supreme satisfaction that surpasses all kinds of sensory pleasures then who am I to say you "should" follow the Buddhist path? It is not a mandatory thing everyone should do. It's your choice. Which is why I asked you to reflect on suffering bit by bit
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes but that happiness constituetes giving up all sensory pleasure of this life. no? So try and convince the average Ivan Ivanovitch under those premises that he if truly suffering in his daly life and that he needs to read a dozen books on buddhism and mediatate every day to get rid of this suffering and he will just look at you silly.

If you explain about future lives you might just stand a chance.

You don't have to leave your social responsibilities to follow the Buddhist path. You can still be a good father and a husband in your domestic life, a good worker in your career and still follow the Buddhist path.

You don't have to read a dozen books. In fact I would advice you not to read every book and wiki page from every Ivan Ivanovitch. :D I already directed you to few texts from Bhikku Bhuddhadasa and the suttas which I recommend. Meditation is not something you "have" to do. Initially meditation requires an effort but after some time it becomes something you look forward to like sex. :D

If you think notions of future benefits in future lives give you the kicks necessary to start the practice then go by that. With time you will realize it is not important.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

Buddhism has only one true goal and that is to reach Nibbana. Buddhas exposition on Karma serves only one purpose and that is to aid the cultivation. Good karma is that karma that will not hinder you to reach the goal and bad karma is that wich will hinder you. Then there is karma which will stop you entirely. Do you not think at least that kind of karma is worth reflection?

Yes. It is worth reflection as I explained two posts above
    I would say that it is wrong to say that there is someone who recieves karma ramifications, but, and here is the important part, it is also wrong to say that there is noone that recieves karma ramifications.

I deny speculations such as there is a constant entity as a self (continuum of consciousness) which receives kammic ramifications which is reborn based on kamma. The Buddha didn't teach such things.

As I see it it is truly not skillful to ponder too much about karma results.
    As they are complex and not deterministic.

Good. You are a step in the right direction
    But if the Buddha did not wish for us to have some understanding of karma then why did he teach it?

It is not necessary to think kamma is cause and effect and rebirth happens based on kamma etc to reflect on kamma as important to morality in this lifetime. In fact such reflections are harmful as it leads to more agitation as I already explained in two posts above about a person with cancer.
    And I would say yes in the way that Nibbana entail the end of all karma formations it is not relevant to ponder too much on karma. But until then there is a need to navigate this sea of karma formations. And at least know not to execute one of the five actions that will totally stop you from reaching tha Goal.

But then again that would not be your view on karma...

My view on kamma is explained above. It has no notions of rebirth in it. It is merely identifying that the way you direct your mind inevitably gets back to you causing suffeirng and thus develop a mind which lets go. That's the goal of kammic reflection to me. As I already said, belief in rebirth as per kamma is not necessary to a person who practices letting go.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

10 minutes!? Shame on you! :nonono:

Yeah shame on me :D

Caught you red handed. You are not a rebirth atheist! You are an agnostic. But it was kind of you to share your views all the same.

Ohh wow what a great finding. What was I thinking. Shame on me for letting myself be caught red handed in a public forum lol

... But wait a minute. You didn't get my joke and the sarcasm? :p
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010

Thinking that good kamma is going to get you a favorable future rebirth and that will lead you to attaining nibbana is "boiling water & sand, hoping to get rice". Rebirth belief is defiled and entertains self clinging which is like walking south if the Nibbana is in north direction.
    "And what is the right view that has effluents [asava], sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other world. ...

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Not a very constructive response ...
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    IMO there is no basis or benefit in believing in rebirth.

It's an archaic superstition inherited from brahmanism, propped up by dodgy adhidharmic arguments.

It's as useless as a creator god as a concept IMO.

Ditto karma.
    edited April 2010
    What is the division of the suttas you were referring to? I know there is a mundane and a supramundane way of understanding the texts. But you were dividing the suttas into mundane and supramundane? What is that division?
    This division is not something highlighted in the West but in the East it is the norm.

This is because one set of teachings is for laypeople and the other set for monks and in the West most serious practitioners are laypeople. So it is something the ordained preachers avoid in the West.

The distinction is between lokiya (worldly) dhamma and lokuttara (transcendent) dhamma. Lokiya means 'of the world' and lokuttara means 'above the world'.

It is here:
    And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [of becoming]; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent I]lokuttara[/I, a factor of the path.

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta: The Great Forty

Here:
    "Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata — deep, deep in their meaning, transcendent I]lokuttara[/I, connected with emptiness — are being recited. We will lend ear, will set our hearts on knowing them, will regard these teachings as worth grasping & mastering.' That's how you should train yourselves."

Ani Sutta

Lokiya (& lokika) (adj.) [fr. loka; cp. Vedic laukika in meaning "worldly, usual"] 1. (ordinarily) "belonging to the world," i. e. -- (a) world -- wide, covering the whole world, famed, widely known Th 1, 554; J <SMALLCAPS>vi.</SMALLCAPS>198. <-> (b) ( -- ˚) belonging to the world of, an inhabitant of (as lokika) Pv <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>6<SUPERSCRIPT>2</SUPERSCRIPT> (Yama˚). -- (c) common, general, worldly Vism 89 (samādhi); DhA <SMALLCAPS>iv.</SMALLCAPS>3 (˚mahājana) PvA 131 (˚parikkhaka), 207 (sukha), 220 (˚sabhāva). See also below 3. -- 2. (special meaning) worldly, mundane, when opposed to lokuttara. The term lokuttara has two meanings -- viz. (a) in ordinary sense: the highest of the world, best, sublime (like lokagga, etc.), often applied to Arahantship, e. g. lokuttaradāyajja inheritance of Arahantship J <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>91; DhA <SMALLCAPS>i.</SMALLCAPS>117; ideal: lokuttara dhamma (like parama dhamma) the ideal state, viz. Nibbāna M <SMALLCAPS>ii.</SMALLCAPS>181; pl. l. dhammā M <SMALLCAPS>iii.</SMALLCAPS>115. -- (b) (in later canonical literature) beyond these worlds, supra -- mundane, transcendental, spiritual. In this meaning it is applied to the group of nava lokuttarā dhammā (viz. the 4 stages of the Path: sotāpatti etc., with the 4 phala's, and the addition of nibbāna), e. g. Dhs 1094. Mrs. Rh. D. tries to compromise between the two meanings by giving lokuttara the trsl<SUPERSCRIPT>n</SUPERSCRIPT> "engaged upon the higher ideal" (Dhs. tsrl. Introd. p. 98), since meaning (b) has too much of a one -- sided philosophical appearance. On term cp. Cpd. 91<SUPERSCRIPT>3</SUPERSCRIPT>. -- 3. lokiya (in meaning "mundane") is contrasted with lokuttara ("transcendental")

edited April 2010
    According to which tradition? I don't see kamma as cause and effect like the Newton's third law. It is reasonable to look at kamma as mere habitual tendencies. A person who develops his mind in hatred and anger towards someone will experience agitation and frustration which makes him suffer. That would be his bad kamma. A person who lied would feel guilty and not get enough sleep during the night. That would be his bad kamma. A person who lies constantly to others might gain a bad reputation in society and at work. That would be his bad kamma.

Lets forget about my view on karma. But Natural laws are not deterministic. They are statistical a proffessor told me. Once in a very rare occasion the apple will fall upwards. But that almost never happens so we can disregard that possibility in every day life.
    This, my friend, is how I see kamma. Then you would see the results of the way you direct your mind in this lifetime itself. Kamma to you won't be a cosmic account but mere habitual tendencies. You would keep in peace and live in merit without any effort.

Thank you Deshy.
    edited April 2010
    Have you read both? If so how could you have failed to identify the obvious contradictions.

1) One version talks about a "seed or a continuum of consciousness". Other talks about consciousness as of six types arising based on the six sense bases as per the Buddha explained it in many suttas.

2) One relies on rebirth. The other doesn't talk about rebirth at all. Only birth and death of the ego

3) One says a cycle of DO happens over three lifetimes or at least two. The other says a cycle of the DO can happen many times within this lifetime itself

4) One version is not verifiable in this lifetime thus its use as a doctrine for cessation of suffering within this lifetime is almost nonexistent. The other is verifiable here and now and if rightly applied can get a taste of what Nibbana is like in this lifetime.

These are differences yes but not contradictions. There is nothing in one explanation that makes the other void or untrue.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    One can also refer to the notion of the two truths.

However, one must be careful here because the Mahayana tends to take this to an extreme of names & forms v nothingness.

The Buddha himself was not interested in such a nuance.

For the Buddha, certain teachings were strictly lokuttara or paramattha.

Other teachings were lokiya.

However, in these lokiya teachings, language was both saṃmuti (conventional) and paramattha (ultimate), dependent on the listener.

For example, Dependent Origination is lokuttara dhamma. The language in it is not intended to be saṃmuti.

But in teachings which are directly about rebirth, the language can be both saṃmuti and paramattha.

In Theravada, there is the verse:
    The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.

(Mn. i. 95)
    <O:p</O:p
    edited April 2010
    These are differences yes but not contradictions. There is nothing in one explanation that makes the other void or untrue.
    Victor

They are indeed both differences and contradictions.

It is best your explain your assertions rather than make baseless comments.

edited April 2010
    This division is not something highlighted in the West but in the East it is the norm.

This is because one set of teachings is for laypeople and the other set for monks and in the West most serious practitioners are laypeople. So it is something the ordained preachers avoid in the West.

The distinction is between lokiya (worldly) dhamma and lokuttara (transcendent) dhamma. Lokiya means 'of the world' and lokuttara means 'above the world'.

Thank you very much!!! That was indeed interesting! The Maha-cattarisaka Sutta I have read but only heard the Ani Sutta as a dhamma discourse by a monk. Now I understand better what you mean.

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    Hi!

DD, Deshy, Matt, Fivebells, pegembara, Daozen and others thank you for all the links and examples and most of all for your time so far.
    I have tried to read and listen as best I can to understand your point of view. I have also learned a lot about the advanced cultivation. Thank you for that
    Now I have some more questions if you have the time.

Summation
    The summation of the thread so far would be that you do not view Karma and Rebirth belief to be central for your cultivation or core Buddhism.
    Core Buddhism is defined as the doctrine of Dependent Origination as explained by Buddhadasa Bikkhu and in the suttas.

The reason you view Karma and Rebirth as irrelevant for your practise is because they were thaught to puttujhanas or worldlings and not to advanced practitioners.
    So all such references loose validity for core practitioners. This division is thaught in Maha-cattarisaka Sutta.

Please feel free to correct me if I am doing wrong by you.

Questions
    Then we arrive at my next tirade of questions. Sorry Matt but this is just how I like to ask questions...in parallell mode not in serial mode.

Is there a place in the suttas where the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine, described through the suttas, is explicitly said to be false?
    A reference would be nice.

If there is no such place then how is that view deducted by you? If in deed any of you support that view?

Is there a place in the suttas Where the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine are said to be for the worldlings only?
    Do you have a reference maybe?

If not then how do you deduce that the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine is for putthujhanas(worldings) only?

Is there a place in the suttas where the Karma doctrine is said not to be valid in its entireity(rebirth karma and so on)? Reference...?

If not how do you deduce that it is true as a moral teaching only and not in its entirety?

With Metta
    Victor
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The reason you view Karma and Rebirth as irrelevant for your practise is because they were thaught to puttujhanas or worldlings and not to advanced practitioners.

No. The sutras have nothing to do with it. You could present me with an authenticated tape of Gautama telling me that I'm going to hell if I don't believe in the cosmology of his time, and it wouldn't make a whit of difference. Karma and rebirth as you understand them don't come up in practice because they don't come up in practice. And Buddhist practice is a practice. Buddhist belief is a distraction from the practice, and frequently becomes a hindrance. (See the Access To Insight essay I linked to earlier.)
    edited April 2010
    Victor

They are indeed both differences and contradictions.

It is best your explain your assertions rather than make baseless comments.

Alright I will try!:).
    Deshy wrote:

Starting from nr 1.
    Why would a continuum of discrete consciousness moments contradict the arising of one consciousness moment out of six types if that can happen instantly and several times after each other?

nr 2.
    The one relying on rebirth does not say that the one that does not rely on rebirth can not happen and vice versa.

nr 3. The one that happens over three life times does not invalidate the one that happens several times in a life time and vice versa.

nr 4. whether one or the other is verifiable or not does not make the other one invalid.

These theories are not mutually exclusive.

See?

Now how do you mean they contradict each other?

/Victor
    edited April 2010
    Is there a place in the suttas where the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine, described through the suttas, is explicitly said to be false?
    How could that be? Why would the Buddha teach something he thought to be "false"? The Buddha taught to mitigate suffering. If the teaching helped human beings to be free from suffering, he taught it. Spirituality is not the same as logic. Logic is theory whereas spiritually is a remedy to afflictive emotions.

If Jesus says "believe in me and you will be in heaven", its purpose is to relieve suffering. Whether it is true or not is irrelevent.

Therefore, in Buddhism, the teaching of rebirth is to relieve suffering and the teaching of impermanence is also to relieve suffering.
    If there is no such place then how is that view deducted by you? If in deed any of you support that view?
    This question was addressed in the thread.
    Is there a place in the suttas Where the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine are said to be for the worldlings only?
    I would recommend you read the suttas yourself. However, MN 149 states:

"This sort of talk on the Dhamma, householder, is not given to lay people clad in white. This sort of talk on the Dhamma is given to those gone forth."

"In that case, Ven. Sariputta, please let this sort of talk on the Dhamma be given to lay people clad in white. There are clansmen with little dust in their eyes who are wasting away through not hearing [this] Dhamma. There will be those who will understand it."

If not then how do you deduce that the Rebirth doctrine and/or the Karma doctrine is for putthujhanas(worldings) only?
    By to whom various teachings were addressed to in the suttas.

For example, in his first three sermons, the Buddha did not mention rebirth. Yet after these sermons were spoken, there were many arahants.
    Is there a place in the suttas where the Karma doctrine is said not to be valid in its entireity(rebirth karma and so on)? Reference...?
    In the Apannaka Sutta, the Buddha called the rebirth doctrine "a safe bet" or a "wise gamble".
    Thus this safe-bet teaching, when well grasped & adopted by him, covers both sides, and leaves behind the possibility of the unskillful.

If not how do you deduce that it is true as a moral teaching only and not in its entirety?
    This was stated in MN 117, which has been quoted at least twice.

If you took the time to read the suttas, you will see the suttas about rebirth are only about karma, as follows:
    "Now, householders, of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold this doctrine, hold this view — 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously born beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the other after having directly known & realized it for themselves' — it can be expected that, shunning these three unskillful activities — bad bodily conduct, bad verbal conduct, bad mental conduct — they will adopt & practice these three skillful activities: good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, good mental conduct. Why is that? Because those venerable brahmans & contemplatives see in unskillful activities the drawbacks, the degradation and the defilement; and in skillful activities the rewards of renunciation, resembling cleansing.
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the passing away & reappearance of beings. I saw — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech & mind, who reviled noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech, & mind, who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — I saw beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No. The sutras have nothing to do with it. You could present me with an authenticated tape of Gautama telling me that I'm going to hell if I don't believe in the cosmology of his time, and it wouldn't make a whit of difference. Karma and rebirth as you understand them don't come up in practice because they don't come up in practice. And Buddhist practice is a practice. Buddhist belief is a distraction from the practice, and frequently becomes a hindrance. (See the Access To Insight essay I linked to earlier.)

Point taken.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Lets forget about my view on karma. But Natural laws are not deterministic. They are statistical a proffessor told me. Once in a very rare occasion the apple will fall upwards. But that almost never happens so we can disregard that possibility in every day life.

If you are talking about chances of getting cancer, I merely gave you an example. :-/ It applies to any similar scenario where you reflect as "it must be my past life's bad kamma that I am suffering now. I must do good kamma now so that I won't be in this situation in my next life". The moment you do that then it is not necessarily your past life's bad kamma that makes you suffer but your thinking pattern in this moment that makes you suffer. The cause of your suffering is here in this moment not in some past life and that is why you can change it. If you don't realize this truth you will never free yourself from suffering

Further, physical birth, sickness, death or any natural phenomena in itself is not suffering. It is the mental clinging that is the cause of the suffering.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Starting from nr 1.
    Why would a continuum of discrete consciousness moments contradict the arising of one consciousness moment out of six types if that can happen instantly and several times after each other?

I doubt whether you have really read both versions of the DO and done some study on them. Continuum/seed consciousness as described in the other verison of the DO states that this "Continuum/seed consciousness" receives kammic ramifications and is reborn based on kamma. The suttas do not state any such theories.

How can consciousness gain a footing in an embryo? How can consciousness leave one physical body and go to a womb when the Buddha repeatedly stated that consciousness arises based on the sense bases of a physical body? Ask yourself :D
    nr 2.
    The one relying on rebirth does not say that the one that does not rely on rebirth cannot happen and vice versa.

nr 3. The one that happens over three life times does not invalidate the one that happens several times in a life time and vice versa.

There aren't different flavors and versions to the DO. DO is one teaching and only one interpretation is what the Buddha taught. Everything else is mere speculation which came up many years after the Buddha's death. Before you argue further on this I advice that you read this. It addresses some of the gray areas of the other version of the DO.
    nr 4. whether one or the other is verifiable or not does not make the other one invalid.

The Dhamma as the Buddha taught is verifiable in this moment for the wise to see in this moment. The Buddha's core teaching is for the cessation of suffering here in this lifetime. How can you do this if the causes of your suffering lie in the previous life and the results of your action come in the next life? Ask yourself. :D

Being directly verifiable in this lifetime is one of the most important aspects of the Dhamma and if you try to change that fact, many wise people will abandon this very important doctrine thinking it is merely a speculative theory of rebirth, kamma, floating souls etc.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    So Deshy, you dismiss all non-Pali canon teachings? Or just the ones you don't feel comfortable with? Let me guess, you'll say "No, just the ones that conflict with the Pali canon", in which case i'd say you've taken on a massive task of assuming you understanding the entire canon and its contexts.

Rather than speculation, i say stick to logic. Luckily, this supports your view on rebirth, a view i happen to share :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    So Deshy, you dismiss all non-Pali canon teachings? Or just the ones you don't feel comfortable with?

I already said, it is not only because it is not there in the pali canon that I dismiss speculations. I dismiss speculations because it is not verifiable in this lifetime. Buddha Dhamma is not blindly believing in someone else's words such as "consciousness goes from here and there". It is for applying to your life in this moment and seeing its truth for yourself.

Not only that, I also dismiss theories which are not related to the extinction of Dukkha.
    Let me guess, you'll say "No, just the ones that conflict with the Pali canon", in which case i'd say you've taken on a massive task of assuming you understanding the entire canon and its contexts.

Stop guessing things Daozen.
    Rather than speculation, i say stick to logic.

Thanks for the advice
    edited April 2010
    So Deshy, you dismiss all non-Pali canon teachings? Or just the ones you don't feel comfortable with? Let me guess, you'll say "No, just the ones that conflict with the Pali canon", in which case i'd say you've taken on a massive task of assuming you understanding the entire canon and its contexts.
    The Buddha said the Dhamma has one taste, namely, the taste of freedom.

The scope of the Dhamma is not something large.

The entire canon can be understood in one sutta or even one sentence.

This is why on many occassions, the Buddha could describe the essence of his teaching in one sentence.

In short, one understands or one does not understand.

Maybe if you actually try, having some clarity about terms, you could discover the canon is not really something so nebulous and so complex.

Some folks regard it as intellectual.

But when one gets the hang of it, it is just ordinary plain language.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The entire canon can be understood in one sutta or even one sentence.
    .. or, even better, without words at all.
  • edited April 2010
    the dharma is ineffable, otherwise the suttas would have done their jobs well today, understanding is not sufficient means to taste freedom viscerally, it must be direct inner realization
    edited April 2010
    Hi

Sorry guys that I "missed" yesterdays "session" but I am in the process of switching jobs so I am a bit busy.

I will try to get back to you and answer your posts more in detail tonight if time allows.

Until then I will leave you with a question that occured to me from reading DD:s latest reply.

On numerous occations the Buddha spoke about rebirth. You say he did that to better explain it to the worldlings.

But do you think he decieved them or lied to them about rebirth or do you think that the Buddha himself truly believed in rebirth?

/Victor

EDIT:

Or are you saying that yes Buddha believed in Rebirth as decribed in the suttas for the worldlings but he did not think it important for the advanced practitioner?
    edited April 2010
    .. or, even better, without words at all.
    wrong religion

edited April 2010
    the dharma is ineffable, otherwise the suttas would have done their jobs well today, understanding is not sufficient means to taste freedom viscerally, it must be direct inner realization
    has your mind tasted it?

the buddha was enlightened

he transmitted the teaching by words

edited April 2010
    But do you think he decieved them or lied to them about rebirth or do you think that the Buddha himself truly believed in rebirth?
    dear V

no person can convince all beings there is rebirth and no person can convince all beings there is no rebirth

belief in rebirth depends on the individual

you began a thread asking certain kinds of questions, which were answered

personally, i have no goal to have you believe there is no rebirth

you are inclined to believe in rebirth therefore believe in it

but buddhas do not lie or deceive

it is not proper to try to blame the buddha for your own karma & choices

the teachings state:

The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.

(Mn. i. 95)

with metta

This discussion has been closed.