Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

GOD

edited December 2010 in Faith & Religion
God, who is He? To be honest, I'm still searching. He can be reached through meditation, like Buddha nature.

I don't personally agree with the image of God in the bible and in the minds of many traditional christians.

I think that God is inexpressible, undefinable, formless, like the Tao of Taoism.

I use the DR. Wayne Dyer meditation technique, he says helps to know God, to be in concsious contact with Him.

Our Father Who arts in Heaven hallowed be thy name

The first line of the Lord's prayer.
In your mind Imagine the word "Our" and then "Father" and then visualize them together "Our Father" then go into the gap between those two words and then stay in the gap for a few seconds and keep all thoughs out and images then repeat out loud "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH" , the sound of God (later on you can repeat it in your head when you progress). Then do the same with the rest of the first line of the Lord's prayer, carry on, use the word "Father" and then "in" and then together etc etc This is called Jappa meditation.

I haven't met God yet, I hope to meet Him. My Mother said that when you go deep enough into the gap and when you feel great love in peace, you've found GOD and you'll know him, understand him.

I can't wait to experience God, I still doubt of course, but then having prayers answered is quite miraculous, so I still mostly believe in Him even though I call myself "Buddhist"!
I've been looking at Taosim, which helps in dealing with the events of life, everything falls into place...

What do you think of God? Have you experienced Him?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Left him - or her - behind, years ago.

Why is it important to consider that such a being exists?

To be honest, it little matters to me whether such an entity exists.
    I really don't care one way or the other.
    it's what would be defined as an Unconjecturable, so I just leave it be.
    It's not conducive to my personal practice to consider the existence, or otherwise.

If he exists, he is beyond mind, if he doesn't, he is within it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This creator people are searching for isnt there. The personaified god people search for isnt there, There are Gods and Goddess who abide In the higher realms of form, and even some in the formless realms, But non of these our creators, There is a story of the Great God Brahma who mistook himself to be the creator through the force of his great Ignorance and wish for company. Samsara doesnt allow for a creator god it would be illogical.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Snowpaw wrote: »

You would generally not be received well when using the word God on Buddhist forums, as I assume one would not be received well using the word Buddha on Christian forums.:)
    Still, if there is a God, God would have to transcend subject, transcend object, transcend concept and transcend you itself. And yet not be apart from all that. Just be peaceful in life and in that peace of mind you will know God as He is to you.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Though this might seem like two distinct questions, to the mystic it would be the same question. It’s only the experience of the Lord’s grace that can make you come to think of his true being; in other words experience comes first. Then GOD becomes the Ground of Our Dwelling.

Unfortunately, though, the faiths based on GOD have traditionally been experiments gone largely awry. That is because, instead of seeing things as revelations of the pure unfathomable likeness of all beings, religionists of all times and places have tended to perceive their windows into divine reality as special dispensations. When that happens, the rights and sensibilities of others tend to be trampled. In God’s name(s) many evils are wrought.

Nobody can comprehend (literally, engulf) God! But there are plenty of pompous asses out there who condemn others who just can’t see things exactly like them and toe the line that they see.

What do I think of GOD? The Beatitudes of Jesus pretty much sums it up for me:

Matthew 5:3-10.
  • edited November 2010
    The God of Buddhism, who I call lord god embodiement of truth and wisdom, is the emptiness or oneness that the Buddha credits as the source of his higher wisdom, this is a more female deity diametrically opposed to the Male God of at least the Old Testament Bible and the Jewish people, I am not against the idead that the two Gods male and female are mates, but The male God is a God of anger, revenge, hatred of those he opposes, the female deity is trustworthy, nurturing, creative etc and very difficult to get close to, not so the male God which is loudmouthed and pushy and willing to inhabit youre mind with strange thoughts. No wonder the Buddha labeled all other gods false and preached about how difficult it was to hear the emptiness, as it is definetly a "still, very quiet voice" that takes years of prayer and meditation to realize.

sincerely John
  • edited November 2010
    I know I took a risk posting about God on a buddhist forum lol! But You guys are understanding, I'm just interested in insights people have. I guess I think of God more as the Tao but I focus on the Tao now. Hehe that rhymed...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A thought that skitted through the mind and stayed there was... that God should know all things (omniscient) and also possess power or control over all things (omnipotent), only one reasonable conclusion can be drawn. God is all things; Universe.

;) Just a thought. I don't hold belief, or disbelief for that matter, in any deities; though, for what it's worth, I would classify the Universe itself as being "alive".
  • edited November 2010
    "God, who is He?"

Maybe its the "He" that gives the game away! Fortunately Buddhism has little to do with "Him Up There", especially as portrayed in certain Old Testament texts, where He is oftimes portrayed as patroling the heavens looking for the next sinner - or sinners - to slay. Though Mahayana has more murky waters, Theravada seems content with Udana 8:3.......

There is, monks, a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned. If, monks, there were no not-born, not-brought-to-being, not-made, not-conditioned, no escape would be discerned from what is born, brought-to-being, made, conditioned. But since there is a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned, therefore an escape is discerned from what is born, brought-to-being, made, conditioned.

Anyway, all Faiths seem to have "many mansions", and Christianity has its mystical thread, with those like Meister Eckhart who spoke of the Deity in his typical "negative" way.....

Nothing that knowledge can grasp or desire can want is God. Where knowledge and desire end, there is darkness; and there God shines.

I agree with those here who distinguish between "knowledge of/belief in" and "experience of". When it is merely a matter of belief, second hand "tributes" to God can be accepted without question as fact. Add fear of questioning, strong peer groups who insist on towing the party line, and you end with bigotry and intolerance, not to mention pictures of God that are unworthy, idols born of ego projections and the "will to power."

For me there is room for dialogue between faiths, especially if those like Thomas Merton are studied. Merton, beginning with a deep appreciation of true mysticism as the "contact of two liberties", and true fidelity to the "I-thou" discipleship of Christian Faith, nevertheless explored Zen meditation and is recorded as saying..........the progressive must learn to relax their grasp on the conception of the goal and of "who it is" that will attain it. To cling too tenaciously to the "self" and its own fulfillment would guarantee that there would be no fulfillment at all. (From "Zen and the Birds of Appetite")

My own Pure Land way recognises the variety of human experience, of understanding Amida as "other" as well as being a personification of Reality-as-is. The "way" seeks to transform "other" by existential experience into selflessness, recognising that there is neither self power nor other power, there is only Other Power. This through every experience of our lay lives, as lived and known each moment of each day.

Anyway, Snowpaw, you mentioned the Tao. If you have time, and the inclination, here is a thread you may find interesting, where Progressive Christians are wending their way through the Tao Te Ching, drawing various lessons and parallels from it - between "eastern" and "western" ways of "being" (or Non-being!)

http://tcpc.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/1578-the-tao-te-ching/
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I cannot believe in something that is fixed, unchanging and permanent, as nothing in this world is.
    Much Metta,
    Todd
  • edited November 2010
    I cannot believe in something that is fixed, unchanging and permanent, as nothing in this world is.
    Much Metta,
    Todd

Todd, I agree, but most "Gods" (or "God") are often very changeable if various texts are taken at face value. It often seems to me that it is when the claim is made that the Divine is "personal" that we slide into trouble. This seems so because many identify their own "person" exclusively with the social self/ego/constructed persona. When this is done, and such is projected, we have a God as capricious as ourselves, and unworthy of worship.

What we actually mean by "person" is a very live issue in inter-faith dialogue, especially in dialogue with Christianity where the "eternal word" is identified with Christ as Person, rather than the Biblical text as such.

In a lot of what could be called "mature" Christian thought, God is understood as the "ground of being" rather than a being (distinct from other beings), and as "empty" in the sense that "he" is a circle whose centre is nowhere and everywhere, Whose circumference is infinite.

I would defintely understand Reality-as-is as infinite creativity, not as a being - unchanging or not.

All the best
    tariki
  • SephSeph Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I think that God is inexpressible, undefinable, formless, like the Tao of Taoism.
    I counldn't agree more, and to sideset the ignostic postion I would also say that g0d is most similar to the Tao of Taoism.

...but ultimately, g0d's theistic and atheistic natures are completely unprovable. As far as the Question of Theism goes ("Is there a God?'), it cannot be answered.

You are asking the wrong question.
  • edited November 2010
    12 Links of Dependent Origination explains "creation"
    Our Intrinsic Nature have limitless potentials, hence the feeling of "connected to god".
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Always loved this one

http://www.kwanumzen.com/pzc/oldnewsletter/v01n06-1973-april-dssn-q&aaboutgod.html
    Q&A about God at Brown University
    Zen Master Seung Sahn

On Tuesday nights The Providence Zen Center holds a meditation session at the Dharma Room (Manning Chapel) at Brown University. The following is an account of one of the exchanges which has taken place there.

After one of the Dharma Teachers was finished with his introductory remarks, he asked those congregated to direct their questions to Zen Master Seung Sahn, Soen Sa Nim. One of the visitors asked if there was a God.

Soen Sa answered "If you think God, you have God, if you do not think God, you do not have God."

"I think that there is no God. Why do I have God if I think God?"

"Do you understand God?"

"No, I don't know."

"Do you understand yourself?"

"I don't know."

"You do not understand God. You do not understand yourself. How would you even know if there was a God or not?"

"Then, is there a God?"

"God is not God, no God is God."

"Why is God not God?"

Holding up the Zen stick, Soen Sa said "This is a stick, but it is not a stick. Originally, there is no stick. It is the same with God for originally there is no God. God is only name. The same is true of all things in the universe."

"Then is there no God?"

"The philosopher Descartes said, 'I think therefore I am.' If you do not think, you are not, and so the universe and you are one. This is your substance, the universe's substance, and God's substance. It has no name and no form. You are God, God is you. This is the 'big I,' this is the path, this is the truth. Do you now understand God?"

"Yes, I think that there is no God, and I have no God."

"If you say that you have no God, I will hit you thirty times. If you say that you do, I will still hit you thirty times."

"Why will you hit me? I don't understand. Please explain."

"I do not give acupuncture to a dead cow. Today is Tuesday." replied Soen Sa.
  • edited November 2010
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Body Born Before the Parents[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The village I finally reach
    deeper than the deep mountains
    indeed
    the capital
    were I used to live![/FONT]
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    If I ever meet God, I will believe that God exists. Until then, I do my Practice, meditate, cultivate compassion as best as this poor mind and heart can ...

I had an experience when I was a child that showed me that our mind has the ability to alter physical reality ... therefore, if you decide that something exists, or IS a certain way, then you will most certainly find it someday. The only problem is that you will never know for sure if you found it because it was there to be found, or if you found if because you created it.

Sometimes it's best to just open up, without trying to pin things down too much.
  • edited November 2010
    Gods/devas/Celestials beings have always claimed by Buddhists to exist.
  • edited November 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    Gods/devas/Celestials beings have always claimed by Buddhists to exist.

Are you saying that Gods, devas, and celestial beings believe that Buddhists exist? I know the reverse is true.

And I am not sure that it has been clearly stated but the Buddha claimed that gods existed, but that none of them were solely responsible for creation.

As far as I know, the Buddha did not discredit the teachings of gods or other religions as beneficial to people.

I recently read where a christian who attended an interfaith congregation asked His Holiness the Dalai Lama "what is the best religion?".
    The Dalai Lama said that the best religion for himself was Buddhism, and also told him that the best religion is the one that brings you closer to god. So it would seem that at least His Holiness, believes in the search for god.
  • edited November 2010
    Are you saying that Gods, devas, and celestial beings believe that Buddhists exist? I know the reverse is true.

And I am not sure that it has been clearly stated but the Buddha claimed that gods existed, but that none of them were solely responsible for creation.

As far as I know, the Buddha did not discredit the teachings of gods or other religions as beneficial to people.

I recently read where a christian who attended an interfaith congregation asked His Holiness the Dalai Lama "what is the best religion?".
    The Dalai Lama said that the best religion for himself was Buddhism, and also told him that the best religion is the one that brings you closer to god. So it would seem that at least His Holiness, believes in the search for god.
    Sentient beings are indebted to Celestial beings because they encouraged Buddha to stay in this world to teach us how to be liberated.

Dalai Lama is just one of the sprititual leaders within the vast practices of Buddhism in this world. I personally don't know anything about his teachings. But as far as Buddhism is concerned, wouldn't the whole concept of seeking god hinder your path to enlightenment? Cause that will result in your relying on outside sources.

I suspect maybe Dalai Lama is referring to MahaPrajnaparamita?
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The way I see it is, all is one. God is the universe. Afree flowing conscience string of change. We are a creation of the universe we are part of the universe, we are the universe. When i read the bible. i replace the word god with self, or universe. and when i see jesus I replace it with enlightened one. Commiting a sin against god is commiting sin against your self you are god
  • edited November 2010
    It's funny how for some people it seems such a fundamental question, while for others, myself included, it's never an issue. I remember in 6th grade coming to term with the question. And I don't mean this as way to mock anyone.

As for God being the universe and oneness or whatever....why must there be a word for everything? Things just are like they are. There is no entity pulling the secrets. Nothing divine.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    It's funny how for some people it seems such a fundamental question, while for others, myself included, it's never an issue. I remember in 6th grade coming to term with the question. And I don't mean this as way to mock anyone.

As for God being the universe and oneness or whatever....why must there be a word for everything? Things just are like they are. There is no entity pulling the secrets. Nothing divine.
    yes, it simply just is.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    But there are some truly amazing experiences that we missed because of ignorance.
    Some have had glimpses of them, some have heard others stories about them, hence the curiosity.
  • edited November 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    But there are some truly amazing experiences that we missed because of ignorance.
    Some have had glimpses of them, some have heard others stories about them, hence the curiosity.

What kind of experiences? And why must they be immediately be related to anything divine in nature. It's just different.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited November 2010
    What kind of experiences?
    blissful states, deep spiritual experiences ...
    And why must they be immediately be related to anything divine in nature. It's just different.
    They don't have to be divine in nature, but many explained them using the divine.
    I agree with you that they are just different.
    I'm explaining one of the potential source of the curiosity; not the experiences themselves.

The reason people would immediately explain them with the divine is the same as the reason why there are so many people believing in gods.
  • edited November 2010
    Quite.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Where is God? Is God... dead?" - Jubilee
  • edited December 2010
    I had a conversation with God. Took ages... still slight doubt it was Him but I felt quite content afterwards so I guess it must be Him. Nice fellow... (lol)... I used Yogananda's little book "How you can Talk with God" if anyone is interested. Good book, not too religious in its writings if you know what I mean.
  • edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    Sentient beings are indebted to Celestial beings because they encouraged Buddha to stay in this world to teach us how to be liberated.

Dalai Lama is just one of the sprititual leaders within the vast practices of Buddhism in this world. I personally don't know anything about his teachings. But as far as Buddhism is concerned, wouldn't the whole concept of seeking god hinder your path to enlightenment? Cause that will result in your relying on outside sources.

I suspect maybe Dalai Lama is referring to MahaPrajnaparamita?

Dalai Lama is suggesting in a humble manner that to close to god (heavenly beings from the perspective of that christian perception of God), buddhism is the one as once attained Buddhahood, he could travel to the heavenly realm to liberate the heavenly beings:cool:
  • edited December 2010
    Apperently Maitreya Bodhisattva is there doing that now! Can't wait when he comes to our world as the next Buddha!!!! :):):)
  • edited December 2010
    I've always had a really hard time with religion. Never had a good experience with it, so "God" was always one of those taboo words for me. But ever since I've read "No Greater Love" by Mother Teresa, I'm totally comfortable talking about God. He's the same as saying basic goodness, or unconditional love. It's this sense of, "if you sit still long enough, you realize that there is only love." God is what things are made of. God is what you find when you let go. It's sometimes easier for me to have faith in this process, in this path, when my ego is playing all its tricks and trying to scare me, if I can personify the truth like that, if I can imagine that God is walking with me, that I'm laying in the palm of His hand, that he loves and accepts me. It's just another way of getting at this feeling of unconditional love that is what we are, that is our purpose in life, to go back to that, connect with that, become that love. So whatever you want to call it, (I tend to say the meaning of life is unconditional love,) stillness, peace, oneness, self actualization, God, whatever. Whatever works for you. Use it as long as it has use and then let go.
  • edited December 2010
    That was lovely!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    God is another conceptualization. With advantages and disadvantages. I like buddhism. Maybe eventually the twain will merge but I wonder if we will butcher eachother at some point hopefully not. That would be Stupid.

Still some forms of buddhism so called subdue the traditional culture and transmit 'true' buddhism. For me true buddhism is transmitted to me because I am suffering and it helps me.

Namaste
  • Hmmm... so you want to meet the god-thingy. Brahminists in the Buddha's time used to ask him the same question. How can they meet Brahma? For those that the Buddha could see were not ready for the teachings of the four noble truths, he taught them how they could meet their god instead. His answer? Practice the Brahmaviharas. You'll have to google it...
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    God is an analogy for Nirvana, just being called by a different name, IMO. :)
  • I think man's biggest hurdle is in not thinking like a man. After all we only have 5 senses with which to feel the world around us and one confused brain to process it.

If you ask me if there is a creator who thinks and some what acts like man with emotions I'll say I'm atheist and I find that a rather silly idea.

If you ask me if I believe man comes from the earth which comes from the universe which could have some form of consciousness I'll tell you I'm agnostic. I don't know because I don't have the senses or tools to observe it.

I think man wants there to be a creator because man loves to create stuff and wants to be something greater. He visualizes God as someone like himself to envision his own greatness (aka ego). However, thinking there has to be a creator leads to infinite God's as there is no reason to believe God didn't require a creator himself.
  • edited December 2010
    God, who is He? To be honest, I'm still searching. He can be reached through meditation, like Buddha nature.

I use the DR. Wayne Dyer meditation technique, he says helps to know God, to be in concsious contact with Him.

This is called Jappa meditation.

Snowpaw- I hope that you don't mind me condensing your OP for the sake of saving space. :) Not that your post was too long, I just wanted to reply to these parts specifically. Before I give you my answer, let me state that I am not trying to be judgmental or anti-religion.

People have pondered the question of god for thousands of years. Every great ancient culture had many gods/goddesses who embodied the memes of the times. Religions became powerful organizations. They still are today. They depend on belief in a supreme god, strict obedience from their followers, and most of all- MONEY.

Let me ask you a question, if you don't mind. Why would a supreme deity need power, control, worship or money?

Epicurius' Riddle

"If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to
    Then He is not omnipotent.

If He is able, but not willing
    Then He is malevolent.

If He is both able and willing
    Then whence cometh evil?

If He is neither able nor willing
    Then why call Him God?"

What thinkest thou?

This really got me thinking years ago and helped me along in my quest to find a path that would help in my development.

I have Dr. Dyer's book/CD on the Jappa meditation. I tried it and it was OK but the prayer interfered with my meditative attempts. This is not to say that other people wouldn't get good results using it. Just a personal preference. I do like Dr, Dyer's work and would recommend his movie- "The Shift"
    Link: http://www.dyermovie.com/

As for myself, I've come to the conclusion that the concept of a god is man made. The bible, again- not picking on the christians, did not present a deity that I would have anything to do with. Examine "his" characteristics. He advocated and indulged in very negative behavior. We wouldn't tolerate it from our fellow humans, so shouldn't we expect more from a "god"?

I just feel a Source of all life. I cannot define it, but I can feel it when I make the effort to connect with it.

My apologies- I tend to go on. I hope that this helps.

Namaste
  • edited December 2010

We learned the answer to this question as THIRD GRADE students! Why did we forget it? Which cultural agencies brainwashed us out of having this perfectly good life-long answer we got in third grade?

It goes like this:

A. Our trying to understand god is like trying to explain skyscrapers to an ant.

There. That eases a bit of anxiety for me at least. Allows me to take on stuff I might have a better chance of understanding and being able to communicate.

The point of the above answer: "god" is absolutely HUGE.

Our pinprick of mind embodied in these brains can't grasp it. Everything we think we can conceive, experience and communicate about god-ness is miniscule.

Enjoy this life, there's a lot to it. But give up delusions of grandeur thinking some small portion of what you can characterize, know and can communicate IS god.

What is it then? It's our magnificent creation as human beings.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

...wouldn't the whole concept of seeking god hinder your path to enlightenment? Cause that will result in your relying on outside sources.

I think that would depend on how each person defines enlightenment. For me, enlightenment comes with discovering truth. I don't know what "the" truth is yet. I find some "truths" in Buddhism. I also find some "truths" in Christianity.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I don't personally agree with the image of God in the bible and in the minds of many traditional christians.

hi

in my opinion, you are being very disrespectful here.

why is it your business to change the common image of the Bible God?

who do you think you are? the next Messiah?

the Tao does not teach about "God"

get over "God"

it is simply a form of conditioning from your youth

Buddhism does teach about "Gods". They are deities or personal beings

Buddhism does not teach about inexpressible, undefinable, formless "Gods"

So best to leave the other religions alone and respect the beliefs of others

Best wishes, try to see clearly

DD :)

• CloudCloud Veteran
    @DD, This thread's old, Snowpaw hasn't even been on since December of last year...
    edited March 2011
    find some "truths" in Buddhism. I also find some "truths" in Christianity.
    the "truths" in Christianity generally have little to do with "God"

they are not something unique; they are often simply natural law

eg. give and you will be given; forgive and you will be forgiven; judge not and be not judged, etc,...are simply psychological karmic law

kind regards

edited March 2011
    @DD, This thread's old, Snowpaw hasn't even been on since December of last year...
    well..maybe my post can help you when your mind gets drunk on "God"

who knows what the future holds?

:confused::lol:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This mind doesn't get drunk on God, sorry. :) The post may be useful for some people though, I'm just pointing out that Snowpaw hasn't been around in months and likely won't see the comment as directed toward him/her.
  • pick your vice. god. spirituality. buddhism. life. pick your concept to be stuck on.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I happen to be a degreed scientist, for wont of a better way to phrase it. No colleague I know would claim karma to be a "law". Don't misunderstand me. I believe in many aspects of karma, but man does not understand it enough to be able to describe it as a law.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Depends on your understanding/view of what "karma" represents, @vinlyn. Karma to me is just cause and effect. Choices and consequences as far as the development of the mind, either toward a state of suffering or of non-suffering. When you get into making karma a force connecting past, present and future lives and attach ownership/self as in a type of reincarnation or re-arising of the same essential "essence" of a person, that's an entirely different thing. Cause and effect though, that is scientific law. And that's karma's true essence in my understanding. :)
  • i still worship a god that is the tao, not the christian GOD, i still have trouble believing there is no place for the tao in buddhism, i don't believe the tao is a creator, or vengeful, vindictive, angry, has a chosen people etc etc, whether the tao fits into the concept of the dharmakaya or emptiness i am not quite sure but i am pretty sure the buddha would have little arguement with lao tzu, there ive said it, that's my opinion
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @John, I think the Tao is the Suchness that Buddhism speaks of, just the way things are. We may have different words for it, but it's the same thing ("reality"), which is why Buddhism found itself so compatible with Taoism and formed Ch'an/Zen Buddhism.