Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism - Philosophy or Religion?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
So lately I am getting more and more interested in Buddhism. I have been reading a lot of stuff lately about it and it kinnda strikes me that Buddhism is more of an ethical philosophy than religion. There is nothing religious or out of this earth (like angles or demons) like for example in occultism, Castaneda Shamanism etc. It seems more like philosophy to me. Is this true or not?

The only thing that is bothering about the Buddhism is no alcohol policy. I love my beer too much:)

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The root word of religion means bonded whereas the goal of buddhism is deliverance of the heart. Yet that is silly its a religion in a conventional sense. Rich in philosophy too. Love ideas.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    One:
    Buddhism is both a philosophy AND a religion. (Ask any Buddhist monk, nun or Lama, at a Buddhist temple if this is not so.)
    The philosophical aspect is that of it being a religion which focusses inward, on training the mind, and being personally responsible and accountable to nobody or anything, for your actions, save to yourself.
    There is no omnipotent and everlasting Godhead in Buddhsim, so we do not externalise our practice. All process and progress is internal.

Two:
    Alcohol is not forbidden in Buddhism.
    You are just encouraged to be Mindful, and take care of its influence, and what it does to you....
    It's up to you (as it is with anything else) to be skilful in your thoughts, words and actions.
  • edited December 2010
    When I think of buddhism none of the three words used to translate the original latin word for religion I see here in my dictionary (obligation, bond, reverence) spring to mind.

I don't see it as an obligation, bond or reverence.

For me it is a philosophy of life. There are many.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I like beer too. Its hard to keep ALL of the precepts particularly when heedless. I had to cool off on a lot of associated things and I hope eventually I stay with the cravings and stop drinking. Its very hard for me to have a few. A six pack is nice so I don't drunk drive to the pharmacy to be frank. I don't do that thankfully. I've observed some things and I notice on the wagon I after 5 days I have an extreme slanted reaction when I go in a supermarket and see slogans. Disgust at beer and hatred at the advertisements. Its slanted and hardened. I end up flipping my attitude and picking up a six pack. But I tried to smile at the beer and ask it to release me. Its like a bad relationship that hasn't hit the bottom yet. :(

Some people I don't know if its genetic but they can do it. I can meter out the buzz but I can't go to bed. Actually I sit through cravings but then I get happy and expansive, without the beer. In that crazy mind I buy the beer and drink. Its an adaption with simple social maladption and numbing my mind to the pain.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Its harder than a relationship unless I emigrate to Sudan.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So lately I am getting more and more interested in Buddhism. I have been reading a lot of stuff lately about it and it kinnda strikes me that Buddhism is more of an ethical philosophy than religion. There is nothing religious or out of this earth (like angles or demons) like for example in occultism, Castaneda Shamanism etc. It seems more like philosophy to me. Is this true or not?

There is a religion of Buddhism, and then there is Dharma.

The two are not the same; There was Dharma before Buddha, at every point in every possible world.

namste
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The philosophy of Buddhism come from the insights that we get when meditating.
    Explaining life as we now see it after having attained these insights.
    As oppose to think the best way to go through life like any other philosophy.

If you take Buddhism as philosophy, you are basically reading the account of somebody else progress, with many extremely important points which cannot be understood in a intellectual way only, and cannot be realized by reading about them and thinking about them.
  • edited December 2010
    Here is what dictionary.com says for Religion entry 2.) "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion".

I used to practice Buddhism as a philosophy and it helped me immensely in life. Still I could never stop chasing happiness and creating more problems for myself. Now I've chose Buddhism as a religion and by meeting fellow Buddhist and practicing following the precepts I finally feel I'm on the right path. To answer your question Buddhism is both a philosophy and a religion and you are free to incorporate any of it into your life.

It doesn't matter to me if someone thinks it isn't a religion as that is their own internal struggle to contemplate. Language's purpose is so that we can communicate and the dictionary is what we use to define words to facilitate said communication.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes.
    And sometime no.
  • edited December 2010
    For me personally, it is a philosophy. Perhaps someday it will be a religion. Who can say?
  • edited December 2010
    Hello.

Buddhism is like Beer, and Beer is like Buddhism.

You can buy it. You can take it home with you. You can put it in the fridge. You can leave it there. You can open it and consume its contents.

But ultimately, its how much of it that you ingest that matters. What was on the label never really carried that much relevance.

But what the heck do I know? I'm just new here. Merry Christmas, happy shopping.

PS - Thank you to the creators, owners and members of this wonderful site, sometimes I wish to contribute a little something.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Dude , beer is not good for you.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So lately I am getting more and more interested in Buddhism. I have been reading a lot of stuff lately about it and it kinnda strikes me that Buddhism is more of an ethical philosophy than religion. There is nothing religious or out of this earth (like angles or demons) like for example in occultism, Castaneda Shamanism etc. It seems more like philosophy to me. Is this true ?

I say it's neither; it's psychology, a science of the mind. A methodology for liberating oneself from one's neuroses. That, combined with mysticism, via meditation. Easterners say it's a religion, but I don't see where religion comes in, except for those Eastern traditions that worship the Buddha pretty much as a god, and combine traditions of ancestor worship with Buddhism. (There was a thread about that on here recently.)

So...maybe it's all of the above.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    worship the Buddha pretty much as a god, and combine traditions of ancestor worship with Buddhism. (There was a thread about that on here recently.)

Depends what you mean by God, worship, and Buddha. Ancestor I assume refers to a lineage tradition paying respects to the previous teachers and thanking them for keeping the dharma alive so it could get to YOU.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by God, worship, and Buddha. Ancestor I assume refers to a lineage tradition paying respects to the previous teachers and thanking them for keeping the dharma alive so it could get to YOU.

No, that's not what ancestor worship means. In some parts of Asia, worship of one's predecessors is an ancient tradition. It's big in Taiwan, for example. Old folk traditions get mixed in with Buddhism here and there. (See the "Buddhism from Different Perspective" thread.)
    edited December 2010
    hermitwin wrote: »
    Dude , beer is not good for you.

I think there are a number of studies that suggest that in moderation it is actually good for your health.

In terms of one's Dharmic progress, I would be interested to see why the odd beer there and here, is considered unwholesome.
  • edited December 2010
    Yes but still I don't see any signs of the beliefs in the unknown like with other spiritual paths like Shamanism etc. It seems to me like Greek ethic philosophy that Aristoteles preached. Or maybe I still have a lot to learn?

Cold beer in the summer with friends outside what could be better. It's a form of meditation for me at least.
  • edited December 2010
    The only belief in the unknown that's involved is the principle of rebirth. And possibly karma could fit in that category.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2010
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8zwnXjIjPM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E8zwnXjIjPM?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited December 2010
    ---An Excerpt from Old Path White Clouds by Thich Nhat Hanh---

[The Buddha] "My teaching is not a doctrine or philosophy. It is not the result of discursive thought or mental conjecture like various philosophies which contend that the fundamental essense of the universe is fire, water, earth, wind, or spirit, or that the universe is either finite or infinite, temporal, or eternal. Mental conjecture and discursive thought about truth are like ants crawling around the rim of a bowl - they never get anywhere. My teaching is not a philosophy. It is the result of direct experience. The things I say come from my own experience. You can confirm them all by your own experience. I teach that all things are impermanent and without separate self. This I have learned from my own direct experience. You can too. I teach that all things depend on all other things to arise, develop, and pass away. Nothing is created from a single, original source. I have directly experienced this truth, and you can also. My goal is not to explain the universe, but to help guide others to have a direct experience of reality. Words cannot describe reality. Only direct experience enables us to see the true face of reality."

p. 212-213
  • edited December 2010
    Bravo, Talisman!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Wuji wrote: »
    Here is what dictionary.com says for Religion entry 2.) "a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion".

I used to practice Buddhism as a philosophy and it helped me immensely in life. Still I could never stop chasing happiness and creating more problems for myself. Now I've chose Buddhism as a religion and by meeting fellow Buddhist and practicing following the precepts I finally feel I'm on the right path. To answer your question Buddhism is both a philosophy and a religion and you are free to incorporate any of it into your life. quote]

What is the aspect of it that is a religion, then? The dictionary says, "a set of beliefs and practices..." What beliefs are involved, other than rebirth? And karma? Is that it? Interesting definition; it avoids the issue of there not being any divinity.
    edited December 2010
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Same question... Ultimately, what difference does it make what label we put on it? Does the label change the way we practice? Does it change the truth of the dharma?
  • edited December 2010
    Tomato, tomahto.
  • edited December 2010
    Wuji wrote: »

I used to practice Buddhism as a philosophy and it helped me immensely in life. Still I could never stop chasing happiness and creating more problems for myself. Now I've chose Buddhism as a religion and by meeting fellow Buddhist and practicing following the precepts I finally feel I'm on the right path. To answer your question Buddhism is both a philosophy and a religion and you are free to incorporate any of it into your life.

Wuji, I don't quite follow you. Why couldn't you practice following the precepts when you practiced Buddhism as a philosophy? What is the difference between practicing it as a philosophy and practicing it as a religion? How did your shift in how you view it make a difference for you?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Buddhism is what you make of it. The Buddha taught it as a doctrine and discipline to be applied toward the cessation of suffering. People take it different ways.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010

I think it can easily be labelled both.
    The only thing that is bothering about the Buddhism is no alcohol policy. I love my beer too much:)

Click here for some of my thoughts about the fifth precept.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Yes but still I don't see any signs of the beliefs in the unknown like with other spiritual paths like Shamanism etc. It seems to me like Greek ethic philosophy that Aristoteles preached. Or maybe I still have a lot to learn?

You might find this interesting.
  • edited December 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Buddhism is what you make of it. The Buddha taught it as a doctrine and discipline to be applied toward the cessation of suffering. People take it different ways.

See Talisman's quote of the Buddha saying it's neither doctrine nor philosophy. That is interesting!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I always take doctrine to mean teachings, and discipline to mean the way. The doctrine is the Four Noble Truths, the discipline the Noble Eightfold Path. This is what I mean by Buddha-Dharma. :)
  • edited December 2010
    Good clarification, Cloud. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The "Buddha" means "awake." I don't know about you, but when I wake up in the morning it doesn't seem to require a philosophy or a religion. First I pee, then I check in with whatever philosophy or religion that might imply. :)
    edited December 2010
    I firmly believe that religion is a pisser :)
  • edited December 2010
    I'm curious as to why Wuji's practice changed when he shifted his view of Buddhism from a philosophy to a religion. Why, when he conceptualized it as a religion, did he suddenly feel more "on track", and suddenly started following the precepts, which he apparently hadn't done before, for some reason.
  • edited December 2010
    So thanks for all the info. I am a noob in Buddhism but surely it seems like a great way to stay on the right path. I am sure years and years of wrong mental programming and my western roots will be a challenge to overcome but surely will take usefull things and incorporate them in my daily life.

As concerning the alcohol as other author said it really depende what people drank in that time when Gautama was preaching. We all know that people in India in general don't drink that much. It also has a lot to do with cultural side. And I think beer here and there never killed or made anyone stupid. It's supposed to be healthy in small dosage.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    The Buddha's teachings are timeless, and fit any generation or distance...
    What he cautioned at the time, is completely relevant and appropriate today, the passing of centuries has done nothing to diminish or alter the fundamental teachings he gave.

"All things in Moderation - including Moderation".

Find the Middle Way.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    There is nothing religious or out of this earth (like angles or demons) like for example in occultism, Castaneda Shamanism etc. It seems more like philosophy to me. Is this true or not?

It depends who you ask. It is certainly possible to pursue Buddhist practice as neither a philosophy nor a religion, just a a practice.
  • edited December 2010
    Or as Dakini said, practice it as a "science of the mind", a 2500-year old form of psychology that will help us remove obstacles to realizing a life with less suffering, more and skillful compassion, and with clear perception of all phenomena.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2010
    No, it's definitely not a science. The practice does not result in knowledge or verification of knowledge. It results in a set of skills.
  • edited December 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    No, it's definitely not a science. The practice does not result in knowledge or verification of knowledge. It results in a set of skills.

Does psychotherapy result in knowledge, or the verification of knowledge? It results in a greater understanding of oneself, as does the practice of Buddhism.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Wouldn't psychotherapy be the application of science, rather than a science itself?
  • edited December 2010
    Psychology is a science, as one could say of Buddhism. The application of the either one leads to a type of liberation.
  • edited December 2010
    Buddhism is not a religion.
    Buddhism is not a philosophy.
    Buddhism is not a science.
    It is merely Gotama's prescription for liberation from dukkha. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I was taught Buddha refused to answer the question, "Is there a God?"

He said something to the effect, "That question will only lead to trouble and is irrelevant."

Therefore I never refer to Buddhism as a religion since the question of God is never raised and never supposed to be addressed. I call it a "psychology," like what's used in a therapist's office to free the mind on a more practical level.

There are however rituals and practices involved which make it appear as a religion, I see them (repetition, prayer, chanting, ritual, offerings) as concrete ways of focussing the mind, NOT as invoking "god."

Is this correct?

BTW, AFAIK, calling Buddhism a science is demeaning (in my limited view). Science can never answer "huge" spiritual questions since every answer science gives results in ten more questions! Due to it's methods it's caught in that more-Q-than-A bind and that will never change. Despite what they promise about CERN and the LHC. ;) Again, just my limited opinion. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Roger-dodger, Roger! But notice that the dictionary definition Wuji came up with above, managed to skirt the issue of wether there was a deity (or deities) altogether. Cagey dictionary. It defined religion as a collection of beliefs and practices. So if we take a look at it from that perspective, Buddhism does have a grand total of 2 "beliefs": rebirth, and karma. Is that enough to define it as a religion? Slightly shaky ground. I'm waiting to hear from Wuji on this, and the question Compassionate Warrior raised as well. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to view it as psychology/therapy. Plus a sprinkling of mysticism--don't forget the meditation component. Which pertains partly to the psychology side of the equation, anyway.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Buddhism is not a religion.
    Buddhism is not a philosophy.
    Buddhism is not a science.
    It is merely Gotama's prescription for liberation from dukkha. ;)

Great, so it's pharmacy, too! No, but psychologists make prescriptions, too. So I'm sticking with my vote that it's psychology. ;) It prescribes how to examine your mind and liberate it from suffering ("neuroses").
  • edited December 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    Great, so it's pharmacy, too! No, but psychologists make prescriptions, too. So I'm sticking with my vote that it's psychology. ;) It prescribes how to examine your mind and liberate it from suffering ("neuroses").
    :lol:
  • edited December 2010
    Not sure if this helps but I define a religion as a system of beliefs which ultimately characterize god.

That means: beliefs which personify and describe what "God" is all about (likes, dislikes, wants, expectations, personality, predictable behaviors).

Though they may be politically expedient, spiritually speaking, such are efforts are absurd. The referent of the term "god" is huuuuuuge and has very little to do with a our currently embodied mind using our limited sense organs while living in a society.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So your definition of religion requires divinity in some form. (In constrast to Wuji's dictionary definition.) That's why I've always felt that Buddhism isn't a religion, but HHDL refers to it as a "non-theistic" religion, which, to me sounds a bit like an oxymoron. I'd like to know what part of it, exactly, do people consider to be the religion component.
    edited December 2010
    "It matters not if Buddhism is seen as a philosophy or a religion, so long as it is not seen as a Hobby." Who Flung Dung;)