Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christianity and how it relates to Buddhism

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Creation myths and God accounts are fascinating and everybody should read them from many different cultures as they much as they can while they still have eyes and a higher functioning brain.

:clap: :rockon: :thumbup: :)
  • That all conditioned things undergo change is not "truth" it is "a true statement."
  • edited February 2011
    Cool DD. You're free to do and believe whatever you want. I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find happiness and truth. But guess what? I'm free too. And I'm quite happy, and convinced of the truth of, my buddha. My buddha is in no way superior or inferior to your buddha. In fact, if purity is what you desire, then I concede that your buddha is more pure! But, I like my buddha better, because he doesn't discriminate and he is one with all of existence. But that's my personal preference.
  • edited February 2011
    IMO, never discuss your Buddha. :D Funny but also serious. :cool:
  • edited February 2011
    If you see anyone who is separate from the buddha, then you cannot see the buddha.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The Buddha has infinite love & compassion. You are projecting on the Buddha.

The Buddha is pure. But he does not discriminate against those who are not pure.

:)
  • He does not discriminate that there is pure or impure. Those are dualistic delusional concepts arisen from ignorance.
  • The Buddha has infinite love & compassion. You are projecting on the Buddha.

The Buddha is pure. But he does not discriminate against those who are not pure.

So, there is a separate person from the buddha that is not pure? So the buddha's self is "pure" and my self is "unpure?" So I guess the whole buddhist concept of not-self was a lie then, huh? But...I thought you believed in those standard buddhist concepts?

• If you see anyone who is separate from the buddha, then you cannot see the buddha.
    Buddha said: "she/he who sees the Dhamma sees the Buddha"

Jesus did not teach the Dhamma.

All things are not Buddha.

The Buddha sees all things.

But the Buddha is not the same as all things.

• My favorite part about all your posts is that smug little :) at the end of every asinine statement.
  • If you see anyone who is separate from the buddha, then you cannot see the buddha.
    Buddha said: "she/he who sees the Dhamma sees the Buddha"

Jesus did not teach the Dhamma.

All things are not Buddha.

The Buddha sees all things.

But the Buddha is not the same as all things.

There is no thing which you can call the buddha, and yet there is no thing which you can say is comletely separate from the buddha. Or the dharma.
  • Buddha is Buddha is Buddha. Nobody's got different Buddha. :screwy:

Oh..., that is..., unless you're talking about those cheap plastic ones you can get at groovy retail outlets :D
  • He has a different notion of buddha than I do, does he not???
  • Your thinking is not that of a Buddha.

The Buddha described reality in terms of mind & elements.

But you are describing reality in terms of "selves" and "persons".

The Buddha taught to believe in "selves" and "persons" is also impurity.

"Impurity" means 'mental defilements'. These are elements of nature that infect the mind, just like diseases infect the body.

The Buddha saw life as being 'nature'. But you see life as "true self".

• Sad thing about Jesus? You can't find his teachings. There's no unbroken lineage. Sad indeed. Seriously.

"Jesus-ness" is a terrible mess in my opinion: I avoid it. It's very sad from that perspective.
  • Ok, well I no longer believe you're reading what I'm saying, at least not with an open mind whatsoever. Therefore, I am talking to a brick wall, and this conversation is pointless. Good luck on your journey! I hope you can live a life of utmost purity.

My Buddha is what I have read about in the reports & history books passed on since his death.

Your Buddha is what you wish him to be.

My Buddha is what I have read about in the reports & history books passed on since his death.

Ehh..., no biggie. Everybody have a cookie!!!!!!! :clap: :nyah: image
  • I hope you can live a life of utmost purity.
    The Buddha summarises all of his teachings as follows:

1. Avoid evil (harm)
    2. Cultivate good
    3. Purify the mind

The Buddha taught these things because they bring happiness.

The Buddha does not expect everyone to follow this teaching.

Please do not project our fears upon the Buddha.

For the Buddha to accept all beings, his mind must be pure.

Clearly you are the holder of the truth. I hold no specific truth, so therefore if you believe that there is a specific truth to be in search of, then you are far ahead of me in the path for that truth. For I'm not even on the path. So, congratulations! Enjoy your cookie!
  • Could DD be a troll?
  • Now that is not very kind or Buddha like.

:eek:
  • Well the buddha is liberated, and therefore there is no way which he is forced to act. Therefore, to try to act like the buddha, is, well, un-buddha like.
    edited February 2011
    I hold no specific truth, so therefore if you believe that there is a specific truth to be in search of, then you are far ahead of me in the path for that truth. For I'm not even on the path.
    It is not wise for our mind to be caught in comparisons. This is not beneficial.

It is wise to accept our selves & love our selves merely for what we are and to accept & love others for what they are.

Personally, I do not compare myself to the Buddha or regard myself as the Buddha.

Each human being and each life form is worthy of our love & respect, including our own life.

If the mind of the Buddha is pure, we should simply accept that.

This does not mean our mind must be pure.

• Duality duality duality duality
  • If our mind is impure, it is established in duality.

For example, if we have a fetish for cookies, our mind considers cookies to be "good", to be "yummy".

This is duality. Duality of "good & bad", "yummy & yucky".

• Then I guess your mind is impure and mine's pure. wooooo!!!!!
  • Cookies ARE good. Stop thinking so much and enjoy the freaking cookie.
  • Mystification, I'm not so sure that the end of humanity is a bad thing. Humans have trashed the environment, they're wrecking the planet. Just a thought.
  • I don't wish death or ill-will upon anyone. That includes humans.
    edited February 2011
    Mysti

It seems like you come here evangelising, as though you believe the world will take what you say seriously (and what others say seriously).

Despite the evangelical efforts of the Mahayana, such as TNH, Buddhism remains primarily a path for the individual.

When an individual finds deep inner peace & contentment, like the Buddha did, they generally do not think about reproduction.

The Buddha taught Nirvana is the highest happiness.

If every single human being found Nirvana, that would be the highest happiness plus the end of humanity.

Very, very, peaceful. 100% liberation.

The only thing that would be against 100% liberation for 100% of beings would be one's dualistic sexual or reproductive urges.

I am not sure of your age, but if having children is your destiny, it is best to not waste your time indulging in esoteric philosophy.

The impression gained is your objections to the BLISSFUL ending of humanity don't sit quite right with your inclinations.

All the best

• edited February 2011
    @ Mystification: No. But the cessation of the human race would happen (peacefully) if everyone were celebate. (haha! Dream on!!)

You're right, DhammaD; when people are at peace and enlightened, they don't think about reproduction. Is it too much to hope that EVERYONE could find enlightenment? Is that realistic?
  • Well, seeing as how I've said over and over that I have no truth to teach or path to present, that would kind of...idk, be the opposite of evangelizing. Would it not? And you, who claims to know the truth better than us, is trying to convince us of "the truth." Hmmm....doesn't that sound more like evangelizing than what i'm doing?

Like I said, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. Go on, live the holy life of purity. I have nothing to teach you.
  • How do you know if one is enlightened, they don't think about reproduction?
  • Enlightenment just sounds awful...I renounce all desire to reach enlightenment, and here today vow to remain in samsara. Enlightenment sounds...boring...
    In theory, they wouldn't have the desire to reproduce (wanting to produce little clones of yourself is pretty ego-driven, IMO), or to have sensual experiences.

The Buddha advised a fully enlightened being is free from lust & sensual desire.

In general, in Buddhist history, fully enlightened beings do not reproduce. The scriptures report the Buddha himself taught it is impossible for a fully enlightened being to engage in the sexual act.

But then, I suppose there can be very rare exceptions. I know a Tibetan lama who seems very enlightened but he chose to have children but, then, he does comes from a lay lineage lama tradition.

My sense of it is he had children to possibly train his children to be teachers (but I could be wrong). Maybe I should phone him & ask him!

• Cookies ARE good. Stop thinking so much and enjoy the freaking cookie.
    Hear, hear! Pass the cookies, please.
  • edited February 2011
    Enlightenment just sounds awful...I renounce all desire to reach enlightenment, and here today vow to remain in samsara. Enlightenment sounds...boring...
    You're very funny! I'm not really following this thread. What you wrote here is funny! I kind of want to read what you guys were talking about to figure out why you came to write this but I'm afraid I'll get sucked into some negative thinking and I'm not supposed to do that. Anyway. Just my two-cent comment. It's of little importance. Funny though. Made me chuckle. Thanks.

edited February 2011
    Enlightenment just sounds awful...I renounce all desire to reach enlightenment, and here today vow to remain in samsara. Enlightenment sounds...boring...
    The Buddha taught there are four levels of enlightenment. But basically, from the first level, but most noteably at the 2nd level, to mind is free from boredom.

Best to reserve our comments about the spiritual path until our mind is free from boredom.

We can yap yap yap about "non-duality" forever but if our mind still experiences boredom then it has not yet found meditation bliss.

:om:
    But then, I suppose there can be very rare exceptions. I know a Tibetan lama who seems very enlightened but he chose to have children but, then, he does comes from a lay lineage lama tradition.

My sense of it is he had children to possibly train his children to be teachers (but I could be wrong). Maybe I should phone him & ask him!
    Please do phone him and ask him. The supposed enlightenment of some of those lamas is very relative. And there are lots of married lamas with kids.

edited February 2011
    I'm afraid I'll get sucked into some negative thinking and I'm not supposed to do that. Anyway. Just my two-cent comment. It's of little importance. Funny though. Made me chuckle. Thanks.
    I do not mind wielding the stick. Buddha said: "I will not treat you gently, like the potter treats the soft clay. What is of essential worth will remain".

If one is still stuck on Jesus then they do not really know the Buddha.

• The Buddha said this or that. He isn't God. Frankly it doesn't matter what he said. It's what he didn't say is of most importance. Do you think memorizing scripture will bring enlightenment? What the Buddha said is nice. How do we know what the Buddha said exactly? I recall the Buddha saying to figure things out by yourself and not to take what he said as Absolute.
  • edited February 2011
    Cookies ARE good. Stop thinking so much and enjoy the freaking cookie.
    I just Googled "Freaking Cookie," this is what I got, looks good to me. :eek: image
    edited February 2011
    Please do phone him and ask him. The supposed enlightenment of some of those lamas is very relative. And there are lots of married lamas with kids.
    I know.

But not this lama. He is one POWERFUL dude.

And I've been around!

:om:
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I'm not a fan of Tibetan Buddhists. They are too much into dogma. I don't think dogma would get one enlightened.
  • I'm not a fan of Tibetan Buddhists. They are too much into dogma. I don't think dogma would get one enlightened.
    Well said. Bodhidharma came to China and he saw the same thing. People worshiping stone statues and scriptures. Buddha worshiping Buddha. Insanity.
    edited February 2011
    The Buddha said this or that. He isn't God. Frankly it doesn't matter what he said. It's what he didn't say is of most importance. Do you think memorizing scripture will bring enlightenment? What the Buddha said is nice. How do we know what the Buddha said exactly? I recall the Buddha saying to figure things out by yourself and not to take what he said as Absolute.
    The Buddha was better than "God" because the Buddha was fully enlightened.

The silent awareness you are seeking to impart is fine in Buddhism. However, it is just the beginning.

When silent awareness is mature, it naturally sees the constant arising & falling of consciousness & the objects of consciousness, to the point the mind develops a deep disenchantment towards phenomena. The mind completely lets go & all craving is extinguished in the mind. All delusions such as "god" end also.

What you are evangelising is fine. Its great! But mere beginners level.

If you respected the Buddha, you would study his path to ensure your mind completes the path (rather than believing you are a university professor whilst in realty still in kindergarten).

You have posted nothing that represents the INSIGHT (VIPASSANA) of the Buddha.

I already advised you Prince Siddharta rejected what you are trying to impart as final Nirvana.

All the best

• I'm not a fan of Tibetan Buddhists. They are too much into dogma. I don't think dogma would get one enlightened.
    Well said. Bodhidharma came to China and he saw the same thing. People worshiping stone statues and scriptures. Buddha worshiping Buddha. Insanity.
    What a fascinating viewpoint!

• edited February 2011
    It's me again. :eek: Some people should study more deeply and broadly; and think out loud less. Not noticing nor mentioning any names. :)
This discussion has been closed.