Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christianity and how it relates to Buddhism

Comments

• Enlightenment just sounds awful...I renounce all desire to reach enlightenment, and here today vow to remain in samsara. Enlightenment sounds...boring...
    The Buddha taught there are four levels of enlightenment. But basically, from the first level, but most noteably at the 2nd level, to mind is free from boredom.

Best to reserve our comments about the spiritual path until our mind is free from boredom.

We can yap yap yap about "non-duality" forever but if our mind still experiences boredom then it has not yet found meditation bliss.

:om:
    Cool. Like I said, I don't want meditation bliss. It severely limits the possibilities of what I could do. I want freedom. But enjoy your blissful purity. I will enjoy my freedom.
  • The Buddha said this or that. He isn't God. Frankly it doesn't matter what he said. It's what he didn't say is of most importance. Do you think memorizing scripture will bring enlightenment? What the Buddha said is nice. How do we know what the Buddha said exactly? I recall the Buddha saying to figure things out by yourself and not to take what he said as Absolute.
    The Buddha was better than "God" because the Buddha was fully enlightened.

The silent awareness you are seeking to impart is fine in Buddhism. However, it is just the beginning.

When silent awareness is mature, it naturally sees the constant arising & falling of consciousness & the objects of consciousness, to the point the mind develops a deep disenchantment towards phenomena so it completely lets go.

What you are evangelising is fine. Its great! But mere beginners level.

If you respected the Buddha, you would study his path to ensure your mind completes the path (rather than believing you are a university professor whilst in realty still in kindergarten).

You have posted nothing that represents the INSIGHT (VIPASSANA) of the Buddha.

I already advised you Prince Siddharta rejected what you are trying to impart as final Nirvana.

All the best

:)

Heh thank you. I've learned a lot from you. There is only one thing I know. It is that I know nothing. Much love.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited February 2011

If you respected the Buddha, you would study his path to ensure your mind completes the path

Please read this, DD. I'm afraid that the Buddha would not want you to follow the path blindly.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
    Also, the smile at the end of your posts creep me out a bit.

:wtf:
  • Well said. Bodhidharma came to China and he saw the same thing. People worshiping stone statues and scriptures. Buddha worshiping Buddha. Insanity.
    The recorded words of the Buddha are not worthless scriptures. They are the path of enlightenment to ensure we complete the path (rather than get drunk on states of unified consciousness).

The Buddha advised those who do not honor his words: "Waste their life".

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @ MindGate

Dude. Your post about the Kalama sutta is both inaccurate & irrelevent.

• What the Buddha said is nice. Tell me something from your own experience rather than the Buddha's experience. You're a living Buddha.
    edited February 2011
    @ MindGate

Back to high school. OK.

We would like you to finish your education.

You are aware of the fact I am 23, right? Where the hell did you get your information?

Also, it was not irrelevant. You are saying that one should follow the Buddha's words blindly, with no question, like a Southern Baptist would follow the Bible. The Buddha's words are a framework to create your own philosophy. Buddhism is more of a way of life than anything.
  • What the Buddha said is nice. Tell me something from your own experience rather than the Buddha's experience. You're a living Buddha.
    Exactly. I don't care what the buddha said. I'm talking to you.
  • I don't want meditation bliss. It severely limits the possibilities of what I could do. I want freedom. But enjoy your blissful purity. I will enjoy my freedom.
    Sounds like the freedom you are after is the road to hell.

Buddha taught dhamma leads to happy states and non-dhamma leads to the pits of hell.

:rarr:
  • edited February 2011
    I don't want meditation bliss. It severely limits the possibilities of what I could do. I want freedom. But enjoy your blissful purity. I will enjoy my freedom.

Buddha taught dhamma leads to happy states and non-dhamma leads to the pits of hell.

Well, I've always enjoyed the heat more than the cold. That's why I live in a warm part of the country. I guess it follows that I would continue on to my path towards heat, down to the depths of hell.
  • edited February 2011
    Let's leave condescension out of the discussion, please. ("Back to highschool", etc.)
  • @ MindGate

Back to high school. OK.

We would like you to finish your education.

Actually it probably the most important thing the Buddha said. I recall he said that prior to his death. Last words. Belief in dogma creates religion. The purpose of religion is to go beyond religion. The purpose of language is to go beyond it.

If we blindly believe everything the Buddha said..there would be a lot of problems. We have to walk the path. We have to experience things for ourselves.
    Sure what the Buddha says is nice. It's a pointer to truth, but it isn't actually truth itself. The Buddha has a great path and I have lots of respect for his words. But they are just words.

Words are empty. Wisdom is what we seek. Wisdom comes from our own experience.
    I don't disagree or agree with you. I just want you to realize we're just saying the same thing in different ways lol.
  • You are aware of the fact I am 23, right? Where the hell did you get your information?
    I edited my post.

:hrm:
    I don't want meditation bliss. It severely limits the possibilities of what I could do. I want freedom. But enjoy your blissful purity. I will enjoy my freedom.

DD is a troll, a Christian fundamentalist in Buddhist form, or a complete idiot.

Unless he's being sarcastic, which I hope he is. You can't tell on the internet.

• Forget all the scriptures. Just meditate and wake up to your Buddha nature.
    Meditate. Meditate! Keep Meditating. Ha
  • @ taiyaki

God imaginer. God lover.

It is not your place to lecture Buddhists.

The Kalama Sutta merely states to reconcile teachings with the results of happiness & suffering; with harm & non-harm.

The Kalama Suttas implies nothing you are inferring.

I have repeatedly said, you have no idea about what Buddhism is.

Anyone who posts about Jesus, God, etc, has no idea about Buddhism.

:eek2:
    edited February 2011
    @ taiyaki

God imaginer. God lover.

It is not your place to lecture Buddhists.

The Kalama Sutta merely states to reconcile teachings with the results of happiness & suffering; with harm & non-harm.

The Kalama Suttas implies nothing you are inferring.

I have repeatedly said, you have no idea about what Buddhism is.

Anyone who posts about Jesus, God, etc, has no idea about Buddhism.

:eek2:
    Then I do not like Buddhism (or your Buddhism, rather).

• edited February 2011
    Why can't Buddhists post about "Jesus, God, etc."? HHDL discusses "Jesus, God, etc.". I think he knows a bit about Buddhism...
    Why can't Buddhists post about "Jesus, God, etc."? HHDL discusses "Jesus, God, etc.".
    HHDL is going to Hell in a handbasket along with Ghandi and Jesus (apparently).
  • When you are hungry, you eat. When you are tired, you sleep. When someone is hungry, you feed them. When someone is sad, you comfort them.

When you think, you divide. You create heaven and hell. You create good and bad. This and that.

When you don't think you're already Buddha. That which is before thinking is the Buddha.

When you ask a question like Where do you come from? What is your original face? Who were you before you were born? Who are you?

All these questions cannot be answered. When we're honest, we say I don't know.

Keep this not knowing mind with you. See what happens.
  • DD is a troll, a Christian fundamentalist in Buddhist form, or a complete idiot. Unless he's being sarcastic, which I hope he is. You can't tell on the internet.
    Nirayavagga: Hell

306. The liar goes to the state of woe; also he who, having done (wrong), says, "I did not do it." Men of base actions both, on departing they share the same destiny in the other world.

307. There are many evil characters and uncontrolled men wearing the saffron robe. These wicked men will be born in states of woe because of their evil deeds.

308. It would be better to swallow a red-hot iron ball, blazing like fire, than as an immoral and uncontrolled monk to eat the alms of the people.

309. Four misfortunes befall the reckless man who consorts with another's wife: acquisition of demerit, disturbed sleep, ill-repute, and (rebirth in) states of woe.

310. Such a man acquires demerit and an unhappy birth in the future. Brief is the pleasure of the frightened man and woman, and the king imposes heavy punishment. Hence, let no man consort with another's wife.

311. Just as kusa grass wrongly handled cuts the hand, even so, a recluse's life wrongly lived drags one to states of woe.

312. Any loose act, any corrupt observance, any life of questionable celibacy — none of these bear much fruit.

313. If anything is to be done, let one do it with sustained vigor. A lax monastic life stirs up the dust of passions all the more.

314. An evil deed is better left undone, for such a deed torments one afterwards. But a good deed is better done, doing which one repents not later.

315. Just as a border city is closely guarded both within and without, even so, guard yourself. Do not let slip this opportunity (for spiritual growth). For those who let slip this opportunity grieve indeed when consigned to hell.

316. Those who are ashamed of what they should not be ashamed of, and are not ashamed of what they should be ashamed of — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

317. Those who see something to fear where there is nothing to fear, and see nothing to fear where there is something to fear — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

318. Those who imagine evil where there is none, and do not see evil where it is — upholding false views, they go to states of woe.

319. Those who discern the wrong as wrong and the right as right — upholding right views, they go to realms of bliss.

• I believe a true Buddhist accepts all religions. The religion of love. All religions point to the same truth. People are the ones who create division because they interpret this and that.

We use the brain to figure out what the brain does. That is language and ideas.
    Using ideas to find ideas. Philosophy is basically summed up like that.

Religion points to that which we cannot put into words.

What is beyond language?
  • I do not fear hell. If my beliefs bring me to hell, then it's where I am meant to go. I do not fear anything. Samsara, and all the suffering it entails, does not frighten me. I welcome whatever comes at me with open arms.
    @DD

Dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma dogma.

There is no literal hell. The only hell that exists would be the one that you create for yourself.
    edited February 2011
    Why can't Buddhists post about "Jesus, God, etc."? HHDL discusses "Jesus, God, etc.". I think he knows a bit about Buddhism...
    HHDL is just evangelising. He is making good-will in the world. That is his role. He is being a good Buddhist diplomat & spokesperson.

But if you are interested in enlightenment, it is irrelevent.

• The only hell that exists would be the one that you create for yourself.
    100% agreed. But hell in the mind is still hell.

HHDL is just evangelising. He is making good-will in the world. That is his role. He is being a good Buddhist diplomatic.
    One who is going to HELL.
  • DD. all views are wrong views. to have a view is to miss the mark.

once you have a view on something you create division. truth moves in paradoxes.
    we see paradoxes because we want to have a position on things.

how can there be good and evil? relatively there is, but ultimately there isn't.

you pick and choose the buddha's saying to fit your ideology of what buddhism is.

Nirvana is free from all views.

I wish the best for you my friend.

• edited February 2011
    I actually liked the "hell" post. I think some of those points are very important. They should be posted on the wall at every monastery.

P.S. Please get back to us after you phone the lama to ask why he had kids.
  • When you are hungry, you eat. When you are tired, you sleep. When someone is hungry, you feed them. When someone is sad, you comfort them.
    Animals behave like this.

:coffee:
    I have reached an issue. Would believing that all views are wrong be considered a view?
  • Hell exists in your mind. Hell is your attachment to your thinking.

Why don't you come to the shade? It hot in hell.

Yes we do. Your point is?
    edited February 2011
    DD. all views are wrong views. to have a view is to miss the mark.

once you have a view on something you create division. truth moves in paradoxes.
    we see paradoxes because we want to have a position on things.

how can there be good and evil? relatively there is, but ultimately there isn't.

you pick and choose the buddha's saying to fit your ideology of what buddhism is.

Nirvana is free from all views.
    T

You are wrong. The Buddha taught there is right view & wrong view.

The Buddha advised Nirvana is the end of greed, hatred & delusion.

Your practise is too immature to be able to discern.

I am a Buddhist. I do not tell lies.

Your views are kindergarten level (but a correct starting point).

All the best

:coffee:
    Animals also don't cause world wars or create nuclear weapons.
    Animals also don't think...what does that animal think of me?

• I have reached an issue. Would believing that all views are wrong be considered a view?
    Very clever.
    When you are hungry, you eat. When you are tired, you sleep. When someone is hungry, you feed them. When someone is sad, you comfort them.
    I think that quote is about non-attachment. Meaning, you eat only when you're hungry, and you eat whatever is available, without preference. In that vein.

@DD

The wrong view would be to believe there is a right view.
  • Yes we do. Your point is?
    I am referring to animal animals. Like dogs, frogs, etc.

• edited February 2011
    <
    Animals also don't think...what does that animal think of me?
    Actually, I think animals do think. Dogs, porpoises, whales, etc.; some animals are highly intelligent. Don't underestimate animals. Just because they're not able to communicate their thoughts to you in a manner you're able to understand, doesn''t mean they don't think, and don't have an opinion of you. Dogs can think: "he's kind", or "he's cruel", for example. In their own way.

• I have reached an issue. Would believing that all views are wrong be considered a view?
    Yes.
    Yes we do. Your point is?
    I am referring to animal animals. Like dogs, frogs, etc.
    We are animal animals...?
    edited February 2011
    Animals also don't cause world wars or create nuclear weapons. Animals also don't think...what does that animal think of me?
    If a tiger, lion or shark needs to eat you, it will mercilessly rip your life to shreads.

Have you never observed how plants compete for light in the forest, killing eachother.

Please.

:screwy:
    edited February 2011
    Don't underestimate animals.
    Animals are merely programmed by instincts. Even a dog or cat you may look after may bite or scratch you.

Animals do not fall under the laws of karma because they are programmed by instincts.

Animals cannot realise the three characteristics, that is, insight knowledge.

• They are hungry. Let them eat. We are hungry, we eat. We are biologically wired up to survive and live.

Humans, not understanding their true nature. We create division and opinions about that and this blah blah blah. We create wars based on ideologies.

If we all understood our true nature, there would be no problem.

Animals understand their true nature. They eat when they are hungry. They sleep when they are tired.

We humans can learn a lot from animals.
    That is all. lol

Animals are merely programmed by instincts. If a dog or cat you may look after may bite or scratch you.

Animals do not full under the laws of karma because they are programmed by instincts.

What makes you believe that we can understand 'the truth?'

• Animals are merely programmed by instincts. If a dog or cat you may look after may bite or scratch you.

Animals do not full under the laws of karma because they are programmed by instincts.

What makes you believe that we could possibly not understand 'the truth?'
  • @DDThe wrong view would be to believe there is a right view.
    MG, there is "right view" and "wrong view" in relation to interpreting the Buddha's words. In that narrow sense.

Animals are merely programmed by instincts. If a dog or cat you may look after may bite or scratch you.

What makes you believe that we could possibly not understand 'the truth?'
    What makes you believe that there is 'the truth?'
  • Don't underestimate animals.
    Animals are merely programmed by instincts. Even a dog or cat you may look after may bite or scratch you.

Animals do not fall under the laws of karma because they are programmed by instincts.

Do you not think humans are instinctual?
    When we have to pee, we have to pee. Maybe we can to choose where we pee, or we hold off on peeing. We still have to pee.

Same applies for hunger and sleep. Our biological functions run us.

We do have some choice and that does separate us from animals.

But this ability to think though practical and sometimes nice, brings more problems then needed. Actually it's our attachment to thinking, which brings most problems. We construct a self from our thoughts. We cause division. We have this opinion or that opinion.

Much problems come from our attachment to thinking.
  • @DDThe wrong view would be to believe there is a right view.
    MG, there is "right view" and "wrong view" in relation to interpreting the Buddha's words. In that narrow sense.
    Nope. That's not what it's referring to. The buddha's words are merely the truth. The truth is true of all things. Therefore, "right view" is in regards to reality. Not just the buddha's words.

This discussion has been closed.