Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christianity and how it relates to Buddhism

Comments

• Wait, animals don't fall under the laws of karma? But if humans don't live virtuously, they run the risk of rebirth as animals. And consciousness reborn in animal body can progress to human form, eventually. So there must be karma at work there somewhere...?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    I love how much this thread went off topic.

:)

• What makes you believe that there is 'the truth?'
    Could something that is not true exist?
    Wait, animals don't fall under the laws of karma? But if humans don't live virtuously, they run the risk of rebirth as animals. And consciousness reborn in animal body can progress to human form, eventually. So there must be karma at work there somewhere...?
    No. They go to Hell too. In a basket.
  • BTW, I think we've lost track of the OP, "Christianity and how it relates to Buddhism".
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I believe a true Buddhist accepts all religions. The religion of love. All religions point to the same truth. People are the ones who create division because they interpret this and that.
    Buddhism does accept all religions. It is probably the only religion that accepts all religions.

But Buddhism does not regard all religions as being the same.

This is where your thinking conflicts with Buddhism.

Buddhism is a religion of love but primarily it is first & foremost a religion of wisdom.

Buddha = wise one = one who knows

The mental states of love, non-duality, etc, you are offering are on the level of concentration.

In Buddhism, they are called the realm of Brahma (God).

They are not yet on the level of Buddha wisdom, even if they feel selfless.

Wisdom sees the impermanence & selflessless of all things. Wisdom results in dispassion.

What makes you believe that there is 'the truth?'
    Does 'nothing' exist?
  • I believe a true Buddhist accepts all religions. The religion of love. All religions point to the same truth. People are the ones who create division because they interpret this and that.
    Buddhism does accept all religions.

But Buddhism does not regard all religions as being the same.

This is where your thinking conflicts with Buddhism.

Buddhism is a religion of love but primarily it is first & foremost a religion of wisdom.

The mental states of love, non-duality, etc, you are offering are on the level of concentration.

They are not yet on the level of wisdom, even if they feel selfless.

Wisdom sees the emptiness of all things.

If everything is empty like you say. Then religions are empty.
    Thus making no hierarchy in religion. They are all empty.

Does 'nothing' exist?
    If nothing does exist, how can anything exist?

Does 'nothing' exist?
    *ahem* Could we manage to bring the discussion a little closer to the OP?

Does 'nothing' exist?
    *ahem* Could we manage to bring the discussion a little closer to the OP?

Don't stifle conversation! This site needs it. Let it flow.
  • I believe a true Buddhist accepts all religions. The religion of love. All religions point to the same truth. People are the ones who create division because they interpret this and that.
    Wisdom sees the emptiness of all things.
    If everything is empty like you say. Then religions are empty.
    Thus making no hierarchy in religion. They are all empty.
    This is getting interesting. Does "all things" include Buddhism?

edited February 2011
    Wrong, everything is full. Its like a water bottle filled with acid. You see, inherently, the bottle would be filled with water, thus being empty. But because we give the bottle purpose, will fill it with lemons, causing unhappiness. The Buddha once talked about a young man who sold money for currency. He said that the lemons causes the currency to dissipate into a canopy of lemons in a lemon creek. The Buddhist precept of not raping people is widely discouraged in the southern hemisphere of mars. The cat in the hat comes back to the baseball game Tuesday the second. Tie the black flag to the end of the mast.

Woo, this conversation is so on topic. I'm still waiting for a moderator to close it. :P -waits-
  • <
    Don't stifle conversation! This site needs it. Let it flow.
    Yes, Sir!

• Yes. EVERYTHING IS EMPTY. Form is emptiness. Emptiness is form. Everything changes thus everything is empty. Meow.
    edited February 2011
    If everything is empty like you say. Then religions are empty. Thus making no hierarchy in religion. They are all empty.
    No.

I did not say this.

The emptiness you appear to be referring to is the mind empty of thought.

Where as the emptiness I am referring to is emptiness of self.

For example, thinking itself is empty, that is, empty of self.

But for you, it seems, emptiness means empty of thought.

Buddha taught thought itself is empty.

Where you appear to be saying emptiness is no thought.

There is a difference.

I have said all things are empty, including thought.

• edited February 2011
    I want to know if Buddhism is empty, like "all things". :)
  • I only hope that the mods see it my way. This site is gonna go downhill fast if we moderate everything so strictly that it makes it difficult to have good conversation.
  • self is thought lol
  • I want to know if Buddhism is empty, like "all things". :)
    If it is not empty, than it is self. But buddha taught there is thing which we could find called "self."
  • P.S. The handbasket that HHDL and animals are going to hell in, is also empty. Therefore, nobody's going to hell in a handbasket. :D
  • Wrong, everything is full.
    Exactly. When form is seen to be 'form', it remains form. It is both full & empty. It is full of 'form' but empty of 'self'.

edited February 2011
    I want to know if Buddhism is empty, like "all things". :)
    Yes. Buddhism is empty. It is empty of self & anything belonging to self. Buddhism is natural truth rather than subjective truth of "God".

• edited February 2011
    A certain mod has shut down discussions for less than this. Just wait a few hours...

(Thank you, Dhamma D.)
    176 posts. Wowzers.
  • Wrong, everything is full.
    Exactly. When form is seen to be 'form', it remains form. It is both full & empty. It is full of 'form' but empty of 'self'.

I actually agree with you. Yay.

• I want to know if Buddhism is empty, like "all things". :)
    Yes. Buddhism is empty. It is empty of self & anything belonging to self. Buddhism is natural truth rather than subjective truth.

If buddhism is not self, then why do you care whether people believe in what the buddha taught? Whether or not it is right.
  • self is thought lol
    Thought does not equal self.

Empty of thought does not infer the emptiness of all things.

All things themselves are empty regardless of non-thought.

Self is also empty. It is not a real self. Just delusionary thinking.

Thought is also empty.

• yes yes yes. but the self we create is nothing but thoughts that we attach to.
    i totally agree with you 100%
  • yes yes yes. but the self we create is nothing but thoughts that we attach to.
    i totally agree with you 100%
    if non-thought is separate from thought, then it too is self and is therefore a delusion.
  • If buddhism is not self, then why do you care whether people believe in what the buddha taught? Whether or not it is right.
    "not-self" is not philosophy or descriptive psychology

"not-self" in Buddhism is freedom from suffering

• "not-self" in Buddhism is freedom from suffering

Then non-suffering is self. You have created a self. You have created delusion.

• Yes it isn't a dogma. It is something to be experienced through meditation. Emptiness has to be experienced.

Or not-self has to be experienced. Whatever you want to call it.
  • yes yes yes. but the self we create is nothing but thoughts that we attach to. i totally agree with you 100%
    the self the mind creates is based on more than attaching to thought

it can attach to & regard all kinds of things as being "oneself" or "belonging to oneself"

• Truth cannot be expressed. It can only be pointed to with language using concepts. As soon as you talk you create duality, division. Before thinking and talking, there is no division. That is where truth lies. Experience the experience of no experience.
  • Then non-suffering is self. You have created a self. You have created delusion.
    non-suffering is luminous mind, mere nature

if we are not so sure what "self" is, it is thoughts, such as "I", "me", "mine", "ours", "yours", etc

• Fed is so gonna be pissed off with this thread...
    edited February 2011
    Truth cannot be expressed. It can only be pointed to with language using concepts. As soon as you talk you create duality, division. Before thinking and talking, there is no division. That is where truth lies. Experience the experience of no experience.
    truth can be expressed because truth pondered intellectually can result in the mind attaining some degree of liberation

this is why the Prince spent six years searching for the truth

what you are trying to assert, the Prince discovered in his first week of searching

for example, in the scriptures, a woman lost her child and was mentally derranged. the buddha said to her, if you can bring me one mustard seed from a household that has not experienced death, i will raise your child from the dead. after her fruitless search, the woman realised death is universal and she was healed from her suffering

as I said, inexpressible truth is not the truth of Buddhism (such as verse 1 of the Tao Te Ching)

to say truth cannot be expressed is not Buddhism

• Then non-suffering is self. You have created a self. You have created delusion.
    non-suffering is luminous mind, mere nature

if we are not so sure what "self" is, it is thoughts, such as "I", "me", "mine", "ours", "yours", etc

If I can suffer, and the buddha can be free of suffering, then there is a separate self.
    Fed is so gonna be pissed off with this thread...
    My thoughts exactly.
  • The Flower Sermon.

The Buddha stood beside a lake on Mount Grdhakuta and prepared to give a sermon to his disciples who were gathering there to hear him speak.

As the Holy One waited for his students to settle down, he noticed a golden lotus blooming in the muddy water nearby. He pulled the plant out of the water- flower, long stem, and root. Then he held it up high for all his students to see. For a long time he stood there, saying nothing, just holding up the lotus and looking into the blank faces of his audience.

Suddenly his disciple, Mahakashyapa, smiled. He understood.

• If I can suffer, and the buddha can be free of suffering, then there is a separate self.
    definitely

the Buddha taught suffering happens in life because of "self-view"

for example, if my mother or father die, you may feel sympathy for me but you will not suffer in a manner as if your mother or father died

suffering occurs due to self-view

so, yes, one mind can dwell without thoughts of "self" and another mind can dwell full of thoughts of "self"

one mind is free of self and the other mind is full of "self"

but it is not a real self. just thought or mind creation

edited February 2011
    The Flower Sermon.
    yes...this is Mahayana Buddhism, probably written in Sanskrit (god forbid) and written well after the Buddha died

you need to understand it is considered a downfall in Mahayana to disparage the original (Theravada) scriptures but the opposite does not apply to Theravadins

the original scriptures do not report such a Flower Sermon

in fact, Mahakashyapa was the foremost ascetic, spending time in solitude

it is doubtful Mahakashyapa would be at such a gathering

plus it is against the Buddha's Vinaya to destroy plant life

the Buddha would have never pulled a plant out of the water

:eek2:
  • If I can suffer, and the buddha can be free of suffering, then there is a separate self.
    definitely

the Buddha taught suffering happens in life because of "self-view"

for example, if my mother or father die, you may feel sympathy for me but you will not suffer in a manner as if your mother or father died

suffering occurs due to self-view

so, yes, one mind can dwell without thoughts of "self" and another mind can dwell full of thoughts of "self"

one mind is free of self and the other mind is full of "self"

but it is not a real self. just thought or mind creation

IN ULTIMATE TRUTH, if there is such a thing as freedom from suffering, there is no such thing as suffering. Or else there is person A who suffers, and person B who does not, and therefore duality, and therefore self. If everything is not equally "self" yes "not self" then there is still self. If you don't see that everything is the same thing, ultimately, then there is still duality and self. Sure, in a way they're different, but ultimately they're the same.

No. read it again; "not-self" = freedom from suffering (non-suffering).

• Fed is so gonna be pissed off with this thread...
    I hope she'll at least be able to appreciate the humor in it...

No. read it again; "not-self" = freedom from suffering (non-suffering).

Right. But that implies that suffering is separate from non-suffering. Which is duality, and means self.
    edited February 2011
    IN ULTIMATE TRUTH, if there is such a thing as freedom from suffering, there is no such thing as suffering. Or else there is person A who suffers, and person B who does not, and therefore duality, and therefore self. If everything is not equally "self" yes "not self" then there is still self. If you don't see that everything is the same thing, ultimately, then there is still duality and self. Sure, in a way they're different, but ultimately they're the same.
    whoa!

there is such thing as suffering. it our society, there psychologists, suidcide counselling services, etc. the world is full of suffering

the Buddha did not teach non-duality

it is best to abandon this delusional kind of thinking

non-duality = Advaita Hinduism

non-duality = 'white darkness', 'bright delusion' or 'blinded by the light', like looking at the sun

• We can yap yap yap about "non-duality" forever but if our mind still experiences boredom then it has not yet found meditation bliss.

:om:
    In this, and in other posts more directly which I will look for, DD said that he believed in non-duality. Now he says it is delusion.

So, DD, by his own admission, is delusional.
  • if you were talking to a psychiatrist right now, he'd be pulling out his prescription pad dhamma, have you ever tried lithium, he might say.......
This discussion has been closed.