Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Top monk plays violent video games

Comments

• I thought mortal combat was a certain grossness but it was also cartoonish comic book violence. Some of the realistic warfare games are more scary (in a negative way) but I know some actual soldiers (ex) who quite enjoy them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Theres different kinds of violence. Like A-Team with tons of guns but nobody gets shot, Rambo unrealistic bs, Bourne Idenity, Kill Bill, I don't know the really horrible ones, dramas with violent elements say they are set in war torn africa, and so forth.

I am not disturbed by the video games I play because it is kind of like Lord of the Rings where orcs are being killed. It might not be everyones cup of tea but it doesn't arouse me to anger, though perhaps excitement. I certainly don't get angry at Sauron for raising an orc army haha. Or the snow queen in the Lion Witch and Wardrobe.

There are definitely lines to be crossed for me, but I am in my comfort zone with the games I play and I don't feel angry.

My autistic cousin gets angry at Mortimer Mouse because he is such a fan of Mickey Mouse. Some people are doing what they can do and it is difficult for them to live in the way of another person.
  • Hi Mr Serenity,
    I don't respect Buddhism for rules or precepts. I respect it for the science and psychology of the mind that helps to liberate from suffering and also helps cultivate compassion. The practical stuff.
    The precepts are part of "the practical stuff".
    For Buddha to insist his monks not play board games is really silly to be an absolute rule and not practical in my opinion. I don't feel if he was still around that he'd be this extreme.
    It has nothing to do with "being extreme". If someone becomes a monk and lives off the generosity of the lay people then they are supposed to be setting an example of what can be achieved through spiritual practice. They should be inspiring. If they are playing video games how serious can they be about their quest for enlightenment? Personally I don't find it very inspiring at all.
    The dalai lama constantly mentions tolerance as strength. To reject video games and board games as completely all negative is not being tolerant or compassionate. The dalai lama does seem to adapt with the times. So I do think Buddhism changes with time and it makes an effort to adapt to modern society. I do think the Buddha would too if he was still around.
    It is important to make a distinction here. There are different types of Sila. The Five Precepts are called the "harmless precepts", these are for the purpose of keeping monks, nuns and lay people from harming other beings and themselves. Then there are the higher training rules for those who have ordained. These rules are designed to protect the mind from the coarser defilements and to help support meditation practice.

It is tolerated for lay people to play games. But monks live by a different set of standards. They should be aware of this when they ordain.
    But rather than focus on what the Buddha said, I feel Buddhism at its core is about compassion.
    I agree that Buddhism is about compassion. But how can we know what Buddhism is about if we don't bother to listen to "what the Buddha said". In fact, the pre-requisites for Stream-Entry include hearing the Teachings, paying attention to what is being said and to consider it carefully.

Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    GuyC I think you are not recognizing that the Karmapa does not belong to the Therevada tradition. It is like criticizing a Baptist for not saying Hail Mary.

The Pali Canon says that singing and dancing is not correct. But yogis and yoginis sing spontaneous songs about the dharma and do spontaneous dances of joy. My lama included.

For me that is a good example. That is why we find a teaching according to our karma.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I like it that there are at least a few Buddhists here that defend violent video games as being OK lol. It turns me off a lot when Buddhists start to be really self righteous about all violent media being wrong, and eating meat being wrong etc. It begins to make me think, hey maybe Buddhism by a majority is really just one of those nutty religions when people start preaching about nonsense like that. Buddhism shouldn't be "my way or the highway". I don't like saying what it "should be" because obviously everyone tends to think differently. But by thinking positive, by being practical and by also being compassionate that is a state of mindfulness that Buddhism seems to encourage.
  • Mr Serenity, the difference is that those who are against video games aren't telling you what you think is wrong or that you're not a Buddhist because of it. It's an exchange of opinions, that's all. When I said I think it's a waste of time, I was talking for myself. Through experience, that's what I've found. I am not saying you shouldn't come to your own conclusions.

Back to the topic. I see a lot of focus on studying the cause of things within Buddhism and that's what I try to do. If you're angry, then maybe instead of finding an outlet, you should find the source. Why do you have so much anger to begin with?
  • Maybe monk is angry because he is not supposed to bang women, so he goes bang virtual bad guys up in video games lol. Again though, I don't really think that lama plays video games solely to help vent his anger. I think he just plays them for fun and tension release. Just a hobby activity.
  • Yeah, I think it's likely the monk plays games for fun and just tried to give it a more productive spin in the interview.

I'd love to hear him lecture on how to play the games skillfully, but I don't think he'd be open about that.
  • I think he just plays them for fun and tension release. Just a hobby activity.
    Could you elaborate on this one? Why is this needed or done?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes, my question about why or how monks ever coped before the advent of video games has been glossed over, not to say ignored.
    They never needed props or distractions before....
    Funny that they should use them now - and even attempt to justify them.
    Of all the video games they could use, why go for those depicting violence?
    or is that all there is, right now?
  • Yes, my question about why or how monks ever coped before the advent of video games has been glossed over, not to say ignored.
    They never needed props or distractions before....
    Funny that they should use them now - and even attempt to justify them.
    Of all the video games they could use, why go for those depicting violence?
    or is that all there is, right now?
    What difference does it make? Usually the good games contain violence, but there are some racing or 'sport' games, but they aren't that great. Usually game developers try to make sure there's an interesting story line. If you run around collecting flowers, that doesn't make an interesting story line. Anyway, the reason violence is added to games is the same reason that violence is in movies and books... it makes things more interesting. You wouldn't want to play a game where you throw snowballs at snowmen any more than you would want to watch a movie about it.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That wasn't the original point of my question.
    This was.

"They never needed props or distractions before....
    Funny that they should use them now - and even attempt to justify them."
  • It seems that gaming to "let all the anger out" is one of, if not the least beneficial reason for playing. In this sense, one would be rehearsing their anger. But as well, shunning all gaming is not the answer either, because as someone put it, moderation, or "the middle way" is where the clarity lies: Playing with minimal attachment.
  • Well, it was a part of your post... thought I might as well address it. I agree with the main point.

What is "fun and tension release"? Why is there tension and why doesn't meditation take care of it? I understand that a layperson or a member of the general public might not meditate or be at an advanced enough level to be able to handle anger and tension, then games may be a relatively skilful outlet, or at least more skilful than just bottling it up and taking it out on the people around them. I just don't understand why a leader of a sect would need an aid.
  • I think only someone who doesn't actually play videogames with violence (because not all videogames feature violence) would say they make you in any way more violent, or make you harbor violent thoughts.

It's like saying someone who practices mindfulness with their more negative thoughts becomes more violent just because he/she meditates him/herself on them.

It also makes me think of how metal music is perceived. And some studies that show that it actually makes people calmer....as a cathartic experiment.
  • If you run around collecting flowers, that doesn't make an interesting story line.
    What about mario? Flowers = fire!

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Deformed,
    It seems that gaming to "let all the anger out" is one of, if not the least beneficial reason for playing. In this sense, one would be rehearsing their anger. But as well, shunning all gaming is not the answer either, because as someone put it, moderation, or "the middle way" is where the clarity lies: Playing with minimal attachment.
    I have heard this many times; that one can indulge a little bit and that's somehow different from being attached - it's not. Granted, a little bit of attachment is better than a lot of attachment, but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that the Eightfold Path includes "Right Gaming".

Without sensory desire it is impossible to play a game. With desire comes attachment. That's not the Middle Way, that's just indulging in sense pleasures.

Metta,

Guy
  • If you run around collecting flowers, that doesn't make an interesting story line.
    What about mario? Flowers = fire!

Well, Mario is a great example of a violent game... not to mention the drug use. You eat magic mushrooms and other herbs while unleashing havoc on everyone who stand in your way. How is that not violent?

• Well, Mario is a great example of a violent game... not to mention the drug use. You eat magic mushrooms and other herbs while unleashing havoc on everyone who stand in your way. How is that not violent?
    LOL agreed.
  • Hi Epicurus,
    It also makes me think of how metal music is perceived. And some studies that show that it actually makes people calmer....as a cathartic experiment.
    I used to really enjoy metal, but as I have become more mindful I have become less enchanted by it. I am more aware of the effect it has on my body and mind. There is some pleasure involved in listening to or playing metal, but, like all sense pleasures, it comes with a cost.

Metta,

Guy

• Hi Fede,
    That wasn't the original point of my question.
    This was.

"They never needed props or distractions before....
    Funny that they should use them now - and even attempt to justify them."
    Good point.

One thing that has always attracted me to Buddhism is the simplicity of the monks. All they need is an almsbowl, robes, lodging and medicine. The closer a monk is to living up to this simple lifestyle the more inspired it makes me feel.

On the other hand, I also appreciate that modern technology can be beneficial. Thanks to computers and the internet Dhamma books have been written and distributed in great numbers, Sutta translations are available to everyone and even some monks take the time to talk with lay people who have no flesh and blood Sangha where they live.

If technology is being used to spread Dhamma then I believe it is "kusala" (wholesome/skilful). But if it just for the sake of spreading virtual bullets, I think this is "akusala" (unwholesome/unskilful).

Metta,

Guy

• So monks aren't supposed to have hobbies of any kind? Even something like reading non-fiction books?
  • GuyC I didn't understand the meaning of bullets
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "Without sensory desire it is impossible to play a game."

This is a wrong understanding. See my lamas discussion (scroll up). Also unless you have eliminated sensory desire you are NOT speaking from your own experience.
  • Hi Jeffrey,
    GuyC I didn't understand the meaning of bullets
    When I said "spreading virtual bullets" I meant playing violent video games.
    This is a wrong understanding. See my lamas discussion (scroll up). Also unless you have eliminated sensory desire you are NOT speaking from your own experience.
    While I have not totally eliminated sensory desire I have experienced the temporary dropping of sensory desire during meditation. At such times it would be impossible to even entertain the thought of playing a video game, let alone actually play one.

Metta,

Guy
  • That is why meditation alone does not lead to liberation from suffering. Because you are in the same world when you stand up. Did you read my lama's discussion of enjoyment and the buddhist path? Do you want to be enlightened if it means you have no enjoyment.

I think that is avidya or avoidance of life and it is the root of suffering.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Did you read my lama's discussion of enjoyment and the buddhist path? Do you want to be enlightened if it means you have no enjoyment.
    Yes, I did read it. The Buddha made the distinction that some pleasures are skilful while others are not. (See: MN70 - Kitagiri Sutta)

Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    In enjoyment there can be a clinging that is experienced as suffering, but true enjoyment has a light touch and non-attachment. Which is why experiencing enjoyment is a great teacher regarding the truth of impermanence.
  • I believe there are differances between traditions what matters is what we know fom personal experiance.
  • Hi Jeffrey,
    In enjoyment there can be a clinging that is experienced as suffering, but true enjoyment has a light touch and non-attachment.
    It is the nature of sensual desire that it leads to attachment. The pleasure that comes from renunciation cannot, by its very nature, lead to attachment.

Metta,

Guy
  • its the shenpa or charge not the pleasure. Its basis is wrong views about an inside self that is getting something. But the bodies functions are nothing wrong.

• So monks aren't supposed to have hobbies of any kind? Even something like reading non-fiction books?
    HHDL used to repair watches when they were mechanical.
  • In the Tibetan tradition one of the bodies of the buddha is the enjoyment body. Experienced at the bodhisattva level (which isn't just when one takes a vow!). It is coming face to face with buddha. And that feels good. Our ordinary pleasure is the same thing only it needs to be purified.

As I say perhaps there are differences in traditions. I am happy to have this discussion and learn the Therevadan attitudes towards the senses and the body.
  • I believe there are differances between traditions what matters is what we know fom personal experiance.
    But we cannot experience your experience, especially on an internet BB.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Good point I guess that is why we are having a discussion. One way aside from scripture is to discuss our personal understanding in our own words.
  • Hi Jeffrey,
    As I say perhaps there are differences in traditions. I am happy to have this discussion and learn the Therevadan attitudes towards the senses and the body.
    I do not want (nor am I capable) to speak on behalf of an entire tradition. However, what I can do is to tell you my personal interpretation of the Teachings of the Buddha found in the Pali Suttas as I have understood them with help from monks, nuns and laypeople who I would consider more wise than myself. There is always the possibility I have misunderstood these Teachings.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way: It seems to me that there is nothing inherently "wrong" with sensual pleasure. However, the pursuit of sensual pleasure is going in the opposite direction to the Noble Eightfold Path and moving away from Nibbana. It is not the pleasure that is the problem, but the desire for it.

The argument I am making is that I cannot see how a person can play a video game without first having a desire to do so. It is not like eating a meal. Having a meal may be pleasurable, but can be done with the right intention of sustaining the health of the body for the sake of being able to practice the Noble Eightfold Path, or, in the case of Enlightened Beings, for the sake of using the body as a vehicle to teach others.

I hope this helps to clarify my views.

By the way, I do not claim that I practice only renunciation and never indulge in sensual pleasures. I still am influenced by greed, hatred and delusion from time to time (quite often, in fact). All I am suggesting is that it is delusion to think that we can play video games and be practicing the Noble Eightfold Path within the same moment. My reason for saying this is not to criticize a particular person, but to highlight that certain actions are skilful while others are not. In order to overcome the defilements we must first recognize them and be honest with ourselves.

Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    How can we get out of bed without a desire to get out of bed? I think this can't be what buddha meant by desire.

As my lamas article stated most people cannot sustain a joyful practice meditating and studying alone. The dharma is for all people not a select few. She stated that as long as your video game practice is in line with a wish for awakening and a wish to be light and happy for dharma practice that it is creating punya or merit. Even if you forget that intention for awhile it is still there.

Did you really carefully read what she said?

For example:

"If you use some experience to just space out and not be truly aware of your experience then that bit where you deliberately blanked out is not the path to Awakening."

"When talking to friends and acquaintances there are so many ways of practising, when singing, dancing, enjoying the sense pleasures, these are all activities that can wake us up to the nature of our experience if we put our mind to it, if we put our heart into it.

Dharma practice is about relaxation and many of the so called non-Dharma things we do actually help relaxation and so are more or less essential for us to have a good balance in our practice.

Not many people can be relaxed while just meditating all the time - most people have to vary their activities so that they exercise their body, speech and mind and find ways to keep the heart open and happy.

Also it is Dharma practice to talk to people to cheer them up, laugh and make a good atmosphere for others to enjoy themselves, giving in so many ways is Dharma practice.

Much of what we call leisure activity is a kind of giving isn't it?

And some of it where we practice a skill brings in clarity and letting go - openness - so its all useful.

The problem comes when we don't understand how to practice like this and so we use leisure activities and work and even meditation to kind of imprison ourselves and close down, fixate on our ego mandala."

• VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,
    In enjoyment there can be a clinging that is experienced as suffering, but true enjoyment has a light touch and non-attachment.
    It is the nature of sensual desire that it leads to attachment. The pleasure that comes from renunciation cannot, by its very nature, lead to attachment.

Metta,

Guy
    This is where traditions and their methods differ in approach. In Tantra one is able to through the right capacity, understanding and contemplation, turn pleasure into the experience of freedom through either transformation, vajrayana or, self liberation, Dzogchen.

You are more talking about Theravada approach and you might think it's the only approach that liberates, but, that simply is not true. The Buddha and Buddhas taught many approaches dependent upon different capacities in individuals.

External renunciation is considered a developmental stage, but renouncing ignorance from within is deeper. Transforming the experience of Samsara into the inward experience of Nirvana is subtler, and immediate self liberation through direct recognition of the empty nature of all things, free from ascriptions of good and bad, yet still remaining nuanced in understanding interdependence on an intuitive level in every act, thereby benefiting even while experiencing enjoyment is considered the highest!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,
    How can we get out of bed without a desire to get out of bed? I think this can't be what buddha meant by desire.
    Not all desires and intentions are unskilful. Sensual desire (i.e. the desire to experience pleasure through the five senses of body, eyes, ears, nose, mouth) is in the unskilful category. Maybe we are getting out of bed so that we can spend the day meditating and studying Dhamma? Basic tasks such as getting out of bed, brushing your teeth, cutting your hair and nails, washing your body, going to the toilet, eating can all be justified in terms of the Middle Way (in my opinion)...but playing video games? It is just an expression of sensual desire.
    As my lamas article stated most people cannot sustain a joyful practice meditating and studying alone. The dharma is for all people not a select few.
    I agree, we need to start from where we are. But what tends to happen, as practice deepens, is that our unwholesome desires drop away one by one. It may take time, especially considering how many years (or perhaps lifetimes) we have spent building up these habits. Therefore we need to be patient and kind toward ourself.

People who have chosen to live a worldly life are probably going to have hobbies and interests outside of Buddhism. That's fine, there is no reason to feel guilty about this. However, I think its also important to acknowledge that sooner or later, if we want to become Enlightened, we will have to drop these. We don't have to force ourselves to give up sensuality. It is a natural result of wisdom developing.

Metta,

Guy
  • Hi Buddhajunkie,
    So monks aren't supposed to have hobbies of any kind? Even something like reading non-fiction books?
    I suppose it depends on whether the hobbies lead to an increase in wholesome states and a decrease in unwholesome states or if they lead to a decrease in wholesome states and an increase in unwholesome states.

Metta,

Guy
  • If they help our practice we should continue them. If they harm it we should drop them. Only experience and discernment through the clarity of awareness can tell us what is the truth. And that takes time.

It is hard to say whether playing a video game is not something that a lama 'should' do. I think it is an assumption to say that it doesn't benefit his practice. Only he can know that for certain. It is our own bias that says he shouldn't. And it does not come from our direct experience, but rather speculation and expectations.

• For one who experiences the core of Buddhism, that mind and it's manifestations are empty and pure since beginningless time, like the first words of the Buddha after he rose from under the Bodhi Tree, there is nothing outside of Buddhism. The methods and precepts in the Hinayana, (which is not what I mean by Theravada as Hinayana does not exist anymore even though much of the precepts of Hinayana are in Theravada even though Theravada is more expansive of a tradition) are considered developmental. Many of these precepts do exist in Mahayana traditions such as Zen, Vajrayana and Dzogchen, but are looked at from a different perspective and are not absolute. Which is what I feel dependent origination means in essence, that there is no absolute, black/white view. One must understand even intellectually the viewless view, which is what makes Buddhism so great, deep and authoritative as well as influential within the spiritual traditions of the world.

There are other turnings of the wheel and different approaches are reflective of individual capacity. You cannot judge a person within the Vajrayana tradition with a Theravada approach, it just won't work. It's like trying to apply the rules of English to Sanskrit. The languages are different, even though the message will get across, dependent upon if you have the capacity to read it.
  • Theres something rather odd about this.
    Indeed. I suspect it is something to do with the politics surrounding this particular "top monk".

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2011/01/china_india_and_karmapa_lama

In any case, violence has no part in Buddhism, even if some people here are in deniall about that fact because it doesn't fit well with their lifestyle choices.

• Hi Jeffrey,
    It is hard to say whether playing a video game is not something that a lama 'should' do.
    If he wants to act like a layperson why doesn't he just disrobe?

Metta,

Guy
  • "violence has no part in Buddhism, even if some people here are in deniall about that fact because it doesn't fit well with their lifestyle choices."

Wearing leather shoes with imported goods from countries that don't pay a living wage is violence. No sentient being is harmed by a video game.
  • Hi Jeffrey,
    It is hard to say whether playing a video game is not something that a lama 'should' do.
    If he wants to act like a layperson why doesn't he just disrobe?

Metta,

Guy
    Vajrayana has different precepts for monks. It comes from an entirely different interpretation of the same Dharma than Theravada.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    'If he wants to act like a layperson why doesn't he just disrobe?'

That is your preconceived view of what a lama should do. It has zero to do with the bodhisattva vows and precepts and vajrayana vows. A lama means he has done a 3 year retreat. Nothing more. A teaching lama means that he is approved to teach. A lineage head means that he is in charge of the other lamas in the tradition. Being a lama does not mean you are a monk or nun, though you may be both.

I think its interesting that your armchair view of the karmapa is more accurate than the karmapas own view having studied Tibetan buddhism since the age of 3.
  • Hi Vajra + Jeffrey,

I have said what I think needs to be said, you have said what you think needs to be said, we still disagree, so there is nothing more that can be said.

Metta,

Guy
  • Ok thanks nice talking with you.
  • Wearing leather shoes with imported goods from countries that don't pay a living wage is violence.
    Are you talking about killing the cows for leather, or underpaying the workers? The first i would call violence, the second i would not (although that doesn't mean i think it is a good thing).
    No sentient being is harmed by a video game.
    Buddha asked us to consider our actions and its consequences so that we may reduce the suffering of ourselves and others. If we are filling our mind with violence by playing violent video games, this can have consequences that are every bit as powerful as 'physical' violence itself.

Games can also be highly addictive, and hence a serious challenge to non-attachment.