Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

spreading my beliefs...

Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
edited March 2011 in General Banter
So i have a habit of researching other religions ( prove them wrong) and I try to spread it with others (with the best intentions) but people seem to get offended. How could i share these discoveries without making anyone mad? should I be spreading them at all? thanks

Comments

• edited March 2011
    You should STHU! (sorry for "shoulding" you and H=heck).

People need their myths. It's a form of escape. They're not as skilled as we hopeful-Buddhist-searchers might be in dealing with more and more stark views of "reality." Whatever that is, but you get my drift, right?

Not fair to put people at risk of getting blown out of the water! Gotta be more subtle, respectful, helpful! Be invited.

Your post is thoughtful Seeker so I (just a guy on the internet, BTW) think you knew that already. image
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    my personal tactic is to try and be the kind of exemplary person that others will ask me my personal beliefs without me having to initiate the conversation.

for example, the other day i met a man in passing and we had a polite conversation that eventually turned to him talking about a failed relationship he had gone through. he expressed a question about his ex-wife's behavior regarding vanity, and i gave him my simple opinion on the matter and what i think vanity stems from. it wasn't denigrating, instead, i tried to simply explain it in a way that showed that she suffered too as a result. he paused and looked at me and said something to the effect of, "how could you realize such a thing? where does that thought come from?" and i explained to him that i have been studying buddhism and part of that process involves considering our attachments to things, including even our own bodies.

an important question for you to ask yourself is, "why do i want to share my beliefs?" there are times when i feel so happy as a result of my practice, that i do want to share it with others, but i never force anyone to listen. belief systems are a sticky topic and simply put, you cannot teach anyone anything until they are ready to question. if you desire to share your beliefs out of love for other humans, please remember to respect them as well. you cannot spread love by knocking their beliefs down, that will only hurt them further. if they have a belief system that already works for them, be happy that they have found such a thing. if their current belief system does not work for them, allow them to ask you. this is what i try to practice.
  • Branch out into politics. Religion is so limiting.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    open doors without proving anyone wrong maybe?

draw parallels with their techniques?

Work hard and become enlighten, so people can see the changes in you, or see your reactions to life and ask questions by themselves.
    Same thing will happen to them (work hard and get benefit so people start to notice and ask questions).
    soon the circle grow larger and wider...

next thing you know the circle grow out of proportion, it is unstoppable! :-/
    It's taking over the world!! :eek:
    People are leaving churches in masses and becoming enlighten left and right! :eek2:
    oh noooooooo! the world is now in the enlighten age! no way back.
  • No. Anything that could be remotely considered to be proselytizing is expressly forbidden in Buddhism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    So i have a habit of researching other religions ( prove them wrong)
    How many have you successfully Proved to be Wrong?
    How did you manage this, and what did you say?
    and I try to spread it with others (with the best intentions) but people seem to get offended.
    Yes of course they get offended.
    Because they are best intentions according to you, not them. They don't believe your intentions are 'best' at all.
    How could i share these discoveries without making anyone mad?
    Answer only when specifically asked to contribute.
    Answer the question posed, alone, do not elaborate.

For example, if somebody asks you,

"What is the chief aim of Buddhism?"

you would reply,

"The Buddha said, 'I come to teach about the origin of suffering, and the cessation of suffering.' The chief aim of Buddhism is to understand the source or origin of why life is unsatisfactory, and stop that happening."

Then shut up.
    should I be spreading them at all?
    No.
    thanks
    No problem. :)

• hahaha thanks guys :) I guess I'll shut up now xD I never really thought about the fact that it could bring them suffering :(
  • So i have a habit of researching other religions ( prove them wrong) and I try to spread it with others (with the best intentions) but people seem to get offended. How could i share these discoveries without making anyone mad? should I be spreading them at all? thanks
    Have you ever heard of Evangelical Buddhists? There's a reason you haven't. You can't "prove" something like religion wrong. There is no fact to disprove. That's 100% ego talking. The ego needs to prove others wrong so it can be right, and therefore superior, and therefore justify its own existence. Other religions, even though some of their adherents may be very misguided, are just as valid and "true" as Buddhism. It is incumbent upon us to respect the beliefs of others and not try to "convert" them to our way of thinking. The Dharma isn't something you foist on other people. If they discover it and want to talk about it with you, that's fine. But you don't go out preaching it to people against their will. AFAIK there's never been a "Buddhist Inquisition" :)
  • With all due respect, and I'm sure you have good intentions, why do you feel the need to prove them wrong? And how do you know that they are wrong? Everyone has their beliefs, why not respect that and embrace our differences?

Personally, I'd be bored if the whole world were Buddhist. Diversity is what makes the world go round.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    No. Anything that could be remotely considered to be proselytizing is expressly forbidden in Buddhism.
    OK ... I'll stop breathing now.

No ... wait! ... even not-breathing tells the tale.

• edited March 2011
    No. Anything that could be remotely considered to be proselytizing is expressly forbidden in Buddhism.
    Ya know what? I'm having a 180 turn on this for a few minutes.

Hummm..., I'm not sure. Proselytizing is like prostitution. The line is clearly and definitively drawn. There's nothing "remotely considered" to be prostitution. It either is prostitution or it's not.

So, my point: if one is VERY enthusiastic about Buddhism and one is young and energetic and hanging around with ones young and energetic PEERS, then why can't they debate and discuss and try to impress each other? Young people are supposed to be __vigorously__ exploring their options!

The debate that is spirited is good for young people. Arguments based on bigotry or prejudice and coercion are certainly never ok.

I dunno. Maybe there's exceptions to be made for young people. Just a guess.

EDITED: OMG! I can remember now some of the "discussions" we used to have at my university! In any debate we would attempt to mercilessly CRUSH the other side! HAHAHA! WOW. In retrospect there was no harm done: we were all young. My my how things have changed in my life since then!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, not really....
  • I have another question..I'm making a PowerPoint presentation about the Buddha for my computer class. it's 15 slides and tells about his life, the 4 noble truths and eightfold path. is that ok?
  • As long as it's just information and not an attempt to persuade people to abandon their own religious beliefs.
  • yeah it's just pure info. nothing about any other religions (except for a little Vedic, it was a part of his life lol)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I have another question..I'm making a PowerPoint presentation about the Buddha for my computer class. it's 15 slides and tells about his life, the 4 noble truths and eightfold path. is that ok?
    FWIW, here is a one-page cheat-sheet I once wrote for a high school student who came here to try out Zen practice and elevate her sense of tolerance from within a Christian framework. If there's anything useful in it, feel free to steal. :)

BUDDHISM

The truth of Buddhism does not come from a book. It does not come from a temple. It does not come from someone else. It is not written on a piece of paper. The truth of Buddhism comes from the individual effort to investigate, verify and actualize a clear understanding of this life.

Shakyamuni Buddha, the man most often referred to as the founder of Buddhism, was born on the border of India and Nepal in about 565 BC. He attained what is sometimes called enlightenment at 35 and preached until his death at 80. Many schools of Buddhism sprang from his teachings … in India, Tibet, China, Korea and Japan among others. Uncertain estimates put Buddhist numbers at about 350 million worldwide.

All Buddhist schools agree on at least two things:

1. THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS: These are observations about the world around us.

The Four Noble Truths are:

*** 1. There is suffering (dukkha – the uncertainties, dissatisfactions and doubts that life can dish up); 2. There is a cause of suffering; 3. There is an end to suffering; 4. There is a way to end suffering.

2. THE EIGHTFOLD PATH: These are the tools suggested as most useful when seeking out a truly peaceful life in a changing world.

The Eightfold Path is:

*** 1. Right View 2. Right Intention 3. Right Speech 4. Right Action 5. Right Livelihood 6. Right Effort 7. Right Mindfulness 8. Right Concentration.

The word "right" is sometimes translated as "complete." A “complete” effort is thorough-going and whole-hearted. Nothing is held back. Buddhism is not a threat-based persuasion: You won’t go to heaven (right) if you practice it and you won’t go to hell (wrong) if you don’t. But honesty is required -- complete honesty.

The Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path carry with them the verifiable observation that everything in life changes. There is nothing that does not change. Joy turns to sorrow, love turns to anger, birth turns to death, and the family car always gets a flat. All Buddhist schools agree on such things, but how they approach them may vary.

But as the Dalai Lama put it once, "Everyone wants to be happy." And that is probably as good a summary of Buddhism as any.

• edited March 2011

FWIW, here is a one-page cheat-sheet I once wrote for a high school student who came here to try out Zen practice and elevate her sense of tolerance from within a Christian framework. If there's anything useful in it, feel free to steal. :)
    genkaku, Theft excecuted! Thank you. I'll print wallet size versions and pass them out at the airport (kidding). Maybe I will pass them out at Sangha meetings; leftover copies to anybody who _asks_.

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    HH Dalai Lama reminds us that we all choose our own path. And just because others are not on the same path as us, it does not mean they are lost.
  • well the assignment was to do a presentation on a historical figure who impacted my life.I think it fits ^_^