Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You're not a Stream-Winner, get over yourself!

GuyCGuyC Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
Hi All,

I have noticed a trend where people seem to insinuate that they have entered the stream. They might not claim it directly (thought occassionally they do), but they will dance around the subject in lots of different threads, going on and on about Anatta and how they've had some life changing insight...come on guys, get real...I have done this myself, I know what's going on. Stop playing games!

The sooner you admit to yourself that you're not a Stream-Winner, the sooner you can start to truly practice the Path.

Note to mods: The reason why I post this topic is not to stir people up or to pick a fight. I say it with the sincere intention of trying to help others who may have fallen into, what I perceive to be, a common trap which I have fallen into myself. If I reach just one person with this thread then mission accomplished!

Metta,

Guy

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Perception is often deception.

people get into their cars, drive to the airport and go to check in for their flight to Nibbana only to find they've haven't got their passport...

They find out sooner or later.
  • Interesting way to phrase it, "Stream-Winner". What exactly is entering the stream and what does it look like, real or delusion?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Fed,
    Perception is often deception.
    Indeed.

It is also possible that I am the one playing games. Maybe the perceived self-delusion that I am seeing in others is actually just something I am projecting onto them.

Although I try to help others learn from my mistakes, generally speaking it is probably best for me to focus on purifying my own mind and let others be; give them the benefit of the doubt. Though I do believe there is benefit in trying to help others to grow spiritually it is sometimes difficult to gauge, and often only visible in hindsight, as to whether or not the attempt was worth it.

Oh well, I took a chance with this thread, time will tell if it was worth it.

Metta,

Guy
  • You still did answer what your talking about. You cannot bail yet. I am way too curious now :D
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Sage,
    Interesting way to phrase it, "Stream-Winner". What exactly is entering the stream and what does it look like, real or delusion?
    Good questions.

A Stream-Winner, according to Theravada Buddhism, is the first of four stages of enlightenment (the forth stage, Arahantship, being the goal of Theravada Buddhism). The Stream-Winner has supposedly cut off three of ten fetters which block one from full enlightenment.

These three fetters which the Stream-Winner has irreversibly removed are (as I understand them, and please do not accept my understanding as definitive):

1) identification with the five aggregates (body, feeling, perception, mental formations and consciousness) as a "self" or part of a "self" or belonging to a "self" or as a "self" somehow being part of these aggregates.

2) doubt about whether or not the Buddha was fully enlightened

3) belief that rites and rituals, in and of themselves, will lead to enlightenment

Some of the benefits of being a Stream-Winner include:

1) Inability to be reborn in the "lower realms" (animal, ghost and hell realms). Assured of being reborn only as either a human being or a deva (heavenly being).

2) Assured of enlightenment within 7 lifetimes at most.

3) Inability to regress on the Eightfold Path to the state of "putthujana" (ordinary worldling).

It is easier to tell if someone is not truly enlightened than it is to prove that someone is truly enlightened. This is because it is possible to "fake" the outward signs of an enlightened being while still having an impure mind.

If a person gets angry, for instance, they cannot be fully enlightened, since a fully enlightened being is free from ill-will. They may, however, be a stream-enterer.

If they question whether or not the Buddha was fully enlightened or if enlightenment is even possible, they cannot be a stream winner, for example.

Someone could "fake" unshakeable faith in the Buddha and may even convince themselves of this. They may be convinced that they have "seen through" the five aggregates as being in some way connected to a "self", which is relatively easy on an intellectual level, but I believe it takes more than simple reasoning to enter the stream. The same can be said of "rites and rituals".

...So it can be tricky to tell.

Metta,

Guy
  • Thanks for the explanation. I think I may understand but my mind is filled with the pond sludge of my conditioning so ... who knows if I know :) Just teasing ... Thank you, I am going to think on this one for awhile. :p
  • An anagamin will have no trace of ill will, aversion or desire.
  • In "Path to Buddhahood -Teachings on Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation" by Ringu Tulku it's said that the first Bodhisattva level in Tibetan Buddhism is equivalent to Stream-Enterer in Theravada.(page 141)

...but who cares ? Personally I don't practice to get awarded labels, lol !

:buck:
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Hi Sage,
    Interesting way to phrase it, "Stream-Winner". What exactly is entering the stream and what does it look like, real or delusion?
    Good questions.

A Stream-Winner, according to Theravada Buddhism, is the first of four stages of enlightenment (the forth stage, Arahantship, being the goal of Theravada Buddhism). The Stream-Winner has supposedly cut off three of ten fetters which block one from full enlightenment.

These three fetters which the Stream-Winner has irreversibly removed are (as I understand them, and please do not accept my understanding as definitive):

1) identification with the five aggregates (body, feeling, perception, mental formations and consciousness) as a "self" or part of a "self" or belonging to a "self" or as a "self" somehow being part of these aggregates.

2) doubt about whether or not the Buddha was fully enlightened

3) belief that rites and rituals, in and of themselves, will lead to enlightenment

Some of the benefits of being a Stream-Winner include:

1) Inability to be reborn in the "lower realms" (animal, ghost and hell realms). Assured of being reborn only as either a human being or a deva (heavenly being).

2) Assured of enlightenment within 7 lifetimes at most.

3) Inability to regress on the Eightfold Path to the state of "putthujana" (ordinary worldling).

It is easier to tell if someone is not truly enlightened than it is to prove that someone is truly enlightened. This is because it is possible to "fake" the outward signs of an enlightened being while still having an impure mind.

If a person gets angry, for instance, they cannot be fully enlightened, since a fully enlightened being is free from ill-will. They may, however, be a stream-enterer.

If they question whether or not the Buddha was fully enlightened or if enlightenment is even possible, they cannot be a stream winner, for example.

Someone could "fake" unshakeable faith in the Buddha and may even convince themselves of this. They may be convinced that they have "seen through" the five aggregates as being in some way connected to a "self", which is relatively easy on an intellectual level, but I believe it takes more than simple reasoning to enter the stream. The same can be said of "rites and rituals".

...So it can be tricky to tell.

Metta,

Guy
    Hi Guy,

Interesting topic. You talk about the causes and the results of Stream Winning, but do not describe what it is? I've seen some of these teachings as well and they don't say much. I'm not particularly interested in Stream Winning/Entry as a topic but are interested in what is described as Luminosity in my tradition and wonder at the association there. But back onto your topic- What is the experience of a Stream Winner? What are the signs? And how would anyone be able to know if someone else has achieved it? IMO to achieve this state you would have to have a strong belief that it was achievable. If you had a strong belief that it was achievable, and you believed that it was possible for yourself, then you would also believe that others have achieved it as well. On the other hand, if you truly believed that this state is not possible then you would not believe that it is possible for others, and by default believe that others are deceived, deluded, ignorant.... If you believed that you had achieved this yourself, but others had not, then you'd likely still have a skewed self focused view which would possible imply misunderstanding, but maybe not complete error. If our inward looking shows that we don't really believe then maybe that's where our meditation should be centred, irrespective or any achievement of lack of achievement of others. Maybe we're hung up on not being gullible, or our ego has projected us as the protector of the gullible?

Just some thoughts,

Cheers, WK

Oh well, I took a chance with this thread, time will tell if it was worth it.
    Good on ya!

In "Path to Buddhahood -Teachings on Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation" by Ringu Tulku it's said that the first Bodhisattva level in Tibetan Buddhism is equivalent to Stream-Enterer in Theravada.(page 141)

On the same lines in Mahamudra the moonlight, by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, he says that only a fool wants to know how the four yogas of mahamudra coincide with the bhumis. Yet he does equate them any way :) In Mind at Ease by Traleg Rinpoche he describes the four yogas of mahamudra, yet there is a foreword where he says that this section doesn't really matter. I think Dakpo Tashi Namgyal also says something like that, but then describes differing practises to the meditator depending on where they are on the path. So if you don't bother to know where you are on the path then you cannot use his methods to practise. I think that the other schools would say pretty much the same things: Those who get hung up on progress will not progress, those that don't care about progress will.....something like that anyway, obviously that's not completely correct as there is effort involved here and saying they don't care implies that no effort will be expended.
  • I think the idea is not to get hung up on the markers of progress. The aim is just to practice. To actively look out for the markers is to totally miss the point.
  • In "Path to Buddhahood -Teachings on Gampopa's Jewel Ornament of Liberation" by Ringu Tulku it's said that the first Bodhisattva level in Tibetan Buddhism is equivalent to Stream-Enterer in Theravada.(page 141)

On the same lines in Mahamudra the moonlight, by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, he says that only a fool wants to know how the four yogas of mahamudra coincide with the bhumis. Yet he does equate them any way :)..............
    I once went on a residential Mahamudra Course - and also I bought "Mahamudra - The Quintessence of Mind and Meditation " by Takpo Tashi Namgyal. I lost interest in reading the book after a while because its very technical and doesn't even have an index at the back ! I found it was better just to practice and chat to teachers when necessary. As I mentioned before, I don't really give a fig what 'stage' I'm supposed to be - what does it matter ?

I found it was better just to practice and chat to teachers when necessary. As I mentioned before, I don't really give a fig what 'stage' I'm supposed to be - what does it matter ?
    :thumbsup: I'm glad that I'm not the only one who struggled with this book. The really funny thing is that my teacher actually recommended a shorter book from Dakpo Tashi Namgyal and I foolishly thought that the larger book would be better value..... :lol:
  • edited March 2011
    I think the idea is not to get hung up on the markers of progress. The aim is just to practice. To actively look out for the markers is to totally miss the point.
    Indeed, the idea is to not get hung up. The markers of non-regress are only signs on a road, rather than the road itself. But if you miss a sign on a road, you might easily end up on the wrong path, cause an accident or get caught by police. Likewise, if all you see are signs and not 'road'. Thus it is crucial to check for the markers of non-regress once in a while. The ancient descriptions are there. Checking and re-checking keeps one on track.

:)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Its kind of funny when people say "I have attained rank 1 joyousness, so ha ha!" or "You have not attained rank 1 joyousness, so boo!" If one can uproot their habits enough that when they occur they are noticed and not simply habituated, that's probably enough to get them through the castle's walls eventually.

So, is it really helpful to just randomly prick balloons? Who knows what kind of righteous esteem is built from the detachment that kind of self attribution can make. Certainly, there is little reason to discredit other's perceptions, especially at a non-specific level.

• beingbeing Veteran
    Yet again fully agree with aMatt. It seems as if it's impossible to disagree with him ever. Always so insightful. Take that, aMatt! ;)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    This thread seems very negative to me.
  • I think the idea is not to get hung up on the markers of progress. The aim is just to practice. To actively look out for the markers is to totally miss the point.
    I agree
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Stream entry is pretty straight forward.

Get through the first 16 insights and you are there.

Is the reason you believe it to be so difficult to get because you believe it is some kind of mystical achievement?

There are plenty of stream winners, work hard and you can achieve it relatively quickly (year(s), not necessarily decades).
    plenty of them here http://www.dharmaoverground.org/

here is a little book that will clarify the process for you if you do believe it is some kind of impossible to achieve and/or mystical thing.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=YnedD2Jj3IIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"Mahasi+Sayadaw"&hl=en&ei=nnhlTYGUMYzAtge73KyqBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

ps: me no stream winner yet, me working hard to be stream-enterer by the end of this year tho

To those who claim that we should have no goals in Buddhism, or that setting goals somewhat lessen the "nobility" of the practice. I think those are wildly missing the mark.
    yes, goal oriented practice is perfectly in line with Buddhism, may i remind you of the Bodhisattva vows? "May I attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings"
  • So within eight lifetimes you'll be an arhant?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi All,

I am strongly doubting the purity of my intention when I started this thread. While I appreciate the opinions offered on this subject, and perhaps reading them has led me to further question the origins of this thread (namely my own mental processes), the truth is undeniable:

I am forced to admit that I know virtually nothing.

How can I possibly pretend to know how enlightened another person may or may not be?

I can't.

Even if I am "correct", that there really is this phenomena where people mistakenly believe they are Stream-Enterers, is it really "right" to "randomly burst balloons" as Matt put it?

I don't know.

Will doing so help others overcome delusion?

I don't know.

Will trying to point out what I perceive as delusion in other's contribute to my own practice in any way?

Probably not.

Was this entire thread started because of delusion (namely my own)?

I am beginning to think so.

Well, I guess in an unexpected way it has contributed to my practice in further proving how tricky this thing called "delusion" really is. I hope that it has been benefical to others also, but I will try to avoid making the mistake of pretending to know what is benefical for others in the future.

Metta,

Guy
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    ps you can veryfy pretty easily weather you are a stream enterer or not, this is technical stuff.

If this has happened to you, means you had this insight.
    If that has happened to you, means you had that insight...

Same with concentration meditation.
    It's pretty easy to know which Jhanas you experienced if you read a description of them.

the book "Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha" is a great book if you want to diagnose where you are on the path.
    (free book of course) http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB?p_r_p_185834411_title=MCTB

The point of learning about the path on a technical point of view and diagnosing where you are is to simply avoid confusion. Avoid the delusions of believing you have this or that achievements; but also avoid behind stucked somewhere, and avoid confusion about the interpretation of your own experience.

For example, many crossed the fourth insight, Arising and passing away.
    But without a good understanding of the path, many of them believe that they are now enlighten. (we've seen many of them here). And then they are surprised that they feel depressed a couple week after.
    With a better understanding of the path, they could easily recognize what happened to them, and simply continue to progress. As opposed to sometimes wasting years of their lives trying to chase that state of mind again.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Thanks for the link pat, I'll check it out.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Mindgate,
    This thread seems very negative to me.
    Yeah, you are right. It came from an unwholesome intention, therefore the result is unwholesome.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Whoknows,
    You talk about the causes and the results of Stream Winning, but do not describe what it is? I've seen some of these teachings as well and they don't say much. I'm not particularly interested in Stream Winning/Entry as a topic but are interested in what is described as Luminosity in my tradition and wonder at the association there. But back onto your topic- What is the experience of a Stream Winner? What are the signs? And how would anyone be able to know if someone else has achieved it?
    I am unqualified to answer this, I can only go by what the Suttas say.

Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

I am forced to admit that I know virtually nothing.
    GuyC,

Ha! C, you know a lot!

The real place I would consider it helpful for you to look would be the difference between noticing something, and what to do with what you're noticing. You notice people make interesting attributions to themselves, but what is most skillful to do with those observations?

For instance, someone saying "I am enlightened" is enigmatic, because "I" cannot be attributed to an enlightened point of view. However, what to do with such an interesting enigma? Often, nothing, feel love for your sister or brother expressing themselves in whatever way they do... often its simply language. What they know as enlightenment is not really how we might describe it... what they're really saying is "I am happy" or "I feel connected" or "I feel at peace". And good for them!

With warmth,

Matt
  • I am reading Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha at the moment, and while I don't agree with all of it, I second patbb's recomendation. The chapter "A Clear Goal" is highly relevant to this discussion.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    I am reading Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha at the moment, and while I don't agree with all of it, I second patbb's recomendation. The chapter "A Clear Goal" is highly relevant to this discussion.
    check out their forum afterward, i believe that most of the stuff you don't agree with will dissipate very quickly once you get acquainted with these remarkable people.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2011
  • stream-winning isn't that impossible. it is also not mystical.
  • What do you mean by mystical?
  • something that is not accessible in general.
  • The whole point is to make the dharma accessible. But it is always to a specific person rather than a generality. Just my opinion.
  • did the buddha attain anything?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Matt,
    Ha! C, you know a lot!
    Thanks for your vote of confidence. :o
    The real place I would consider it helpful for you to look would be the difference between noticing something, and what to do with what you're noticing. You notice people make interesting attributions to themselves, but what is most skillful to do with those observations?
    Yeah I think you are right here, I do see things but then I fail to act in the most skilful way based on that knowledge. So I guess the question is how do I become more skilful in this regard. If what I am seeing is true to reality, at what point in the chain does this become distorted when it comes to acting? Maybe this is something I need to answer for myself through more closely observing my mind.
    For instance, someone saying "I am enlightened" is enigmatic, because "I" cannot be attributed to an enlightened point of view. However, what to do with such an interesting enigma? Often, nothing, feel love for your sister or brother expressing themselves in whatever way they do... often its simply language. What they know as enlightenment is not really how we might describe it... what they're really saying is "I am happy" or "I feel connected" or "I feel at peace". And good for them!
    I think you're onto something here. Most of the posts that I, or other people, have made which have been most beneficial to myself and most benefit to others are those posts which have the spirit of loving-kindness in them. As "correct" as this thread may or may not have been, it seems to be lacking this key ingredient.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful and kind post. :)

Metta (really...not just saying it),

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Thats an astute observation Guy. How does one redirect things to contain more lovingkindness? An interesting question. I like lovingkindness! Sign me up.

Just an afterthought I think part of loving kindness is pausing from self-reaction and instead perceiving where they are coming from. By seeing the humanity of them we naturally respond better. Blah blah blah, sign me up.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Thats an astute observation Guy. How does one redirect things to contain more lovingkindness? An interesting question. I like lovingkindness! Sign me up.

Just an afterthought I think part of loving kindness is pausing from self-reaction and instead perceiving where they are coming from. By seeing the humanity of them we naturally respond better. Blah blah blah, sign me up.
    Yeah, unless our habitual reactions are positive, but unfortunately (in my experience, anyway) often they are not. Though there was a time when i was practicing Metta meditation on a daily basis and I had virtually no ill-will (at least not in any gross form) coming up in my interactions with other people at all...Looks like I just answered my own question, more Metta meditation is needed!

Thanks for your comment Jeffrey! :)

Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Yeah I think you are right here, I do see things but then I fail to act in the most skilful way based on that knowledge. So I guess the question is how do I become more skilful in this regard. If what I am seeing is true to reality, at what point in the chain does this become distorted when it comes to acting? Maybe this is something I need to answer for myself through more closely observing my mind.
    I love this question! How do we become more skillful in acting upon what we see?

I feel this happens in two steps. The first is knowing that we don't know for sure what we see. Every observation we make is somewhere between a penetrating, correct vision and bewildered, self-centric projection. We might think we know what we are seeing there, but do we really? Is that a dumb jerk over there, or a bodhisattva acting like a jerk to help us detach from judging people? This view... this unrelenting question mark, in my opinion, keeps us humble and curious. Asking instead of declaring. Treading softly instead of steamrolling and decrying another's view. Letting this wonder float in our minds, like it is something alive... remembering that our question needs to remain active because what we are observing is active, ever changing, empty of concrete qualities.

Second, when you are responding, why are you saying what you are saying? Is it because you are there as a well rooted, compassionate witness, encouraging your loved ones? Or, are you trying to pop the egoic bullcrap of your ignorant moron neighbors because they think that they are all that and a bottle of cheese wiz?

If you're not sure, then don't type/speak/act. Or, type it out and read it. Is that what you would say to your dearest love? Your wife? Your baby daughter? Do you think someone will read it and be better off? Is that what your heart has to offer your oldest and best friend?

I would consider questions along this line to be natural ways of cultivating metta through our thoughts and speech. Remember that its not about being perfectly loving, but really taking the time to use our compassion as the motivation for our actions. Its there... right there! Wanting to get out! :)

With metta,

Matt
  • I had a "transcendent" experience in the woods last year. Thought I had entered the stream. But I've never returned to that state of mind and I've spent a lot of time being frustrated over the fact that I can't get back to it. Its motivation for practice, but it can lead to clinging and frustration.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Kunga, Sometimes all you need is a push to know you're on the right path. Maybe that was your push. Keep investigating, keep meditating, keep on keepin' on. :)
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    The question is - why did you care when you posted this question? People do dumb, silly things all the time. Especially on the internet :)

Let go that which you can't control - and most of that too.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Second, when you are responding, why are you saying what you are saying? Is it because you are there as a well rooted, compassionate witness, encouraging your loved ones? Or, are you trying to pop the egoic bullcrap of your ignorant moron neighbors because they think that they are all that and a bottle of cheese wiz?

If you're not sure, then don't type/speak/act. Or, type it out and read it. Is that what you would say to your dearest love? Your wife? Your baby daughter? Do you think someone will read it and be better off? Is that what your heart has to offer your oldest and best friend?

I would consider questions along this line to be natural ways of cultivating metta through our thoughts and speech. Remember that its not about being perfectly loving, but really taking the time to use our compassion as the motivation for our actions. Its there... right there! Wanting to get out! :)
    Brilliant advice, especially the smiley face! Something as simple as remembering to smile more is a good way to keep kindness at the forefront of my mind.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Daozen,
    The question is - why did you care when you posted this question? People do dumb, silly things all the time. Especially on the internet :)

I cared because I thought maybe I could help others on their spiritual paths if they had fallen into the same trap I had. However, my methodology needs work.

[grammar and syntax fail]

But I think you are right, for the most part, especially when advice/criticism is unasked for [even more especially when the advice is directed at no particular person (even more-er especially on the internet, like you say)], it is usually not the right time to give it.

[/grammar and syntax fail]

Metta,

Guy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Of course, he could control it by asking me to 'delete'.... which of course, I won't.

But I could.....

:grr:
    Hey Guy,

I don't think that anyone here is that delicate. It was a good observation and worth getting out. After all we try and act ethically on one hand, but on the other hand the path should develop resilience. I think it was in Sogyal RInpoche's book where he described a lama who through rocks at his students to wake them up. I like Master Ooguay's quote in Kung Fu Panda: "there are no accidents!", though the Buddhist rejoinder would be "there are only causes and conditions".

Cheers, WK
    Hi Whoknows,
    You talk about the causes and the results of Stream Winning, but do not describe what it is? I've seen some of these teachings as well and they don't say much. I'm not particularly interested in Stream Winning/Entry as a topic but are interested in what is described as Luminosity in my tradition and wonder at the association there. But back onto your topic- What is the experience of a Stream Winner? What are the signs? And how would anyone be able to know if someone else has achieved it?
    I am unqualified to answer this, I can only go by what the Suttas say.

Metta,

Guy
    Sure, no problem. :) I was hoping the sutras would be a bit more specific and have information on the experiential side, I wonder why its missing (just rhetorical)?

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Whoknows,
    Sure, no problem. :) I was hoping the sutras would be a bit more specific and have information on the experiential side, I wonder why its missing (just rhetorical)?
    I would say the reason is because the majority of Suttas are usually instructional in nature. Though there are some Suttas in which Enlightened disciples describe the experience of Enlightenment or what Enlightened life is like.

e.g. Therigata: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/thig/index.html

Metta,

Guy
  • What is the problem? If you are enlightened, you will know it over time.
    If you need to ask, you are not.
    No anger, fear , regrets, no attachment.
  • I think that one problem with looking for signs of enlightenment. Even if they are documented somewhere. Is that it may just be that your idea of the markers isn't correct. Because the text can only use words. And you may be labeling your experience incorrectly and come to a conclusion. I would think that enlightenment or stream entry is not a time when you stop questioning. Though the fine line between doubts and questioning? I have no idea consult a text and find it in your own experience. Test it with questioning.

Definitely being a stream enter doesn't protect us from praise and blame. Look how the buddha is praised and blamed!