Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your TOP pieces of advice from Buddha other then the 8 fold and 4 truths???

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Today
Quotes or experiences? Tanks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    simsapa sutta, Kalama sutta, the twin arrows, the raft across the river....
    Oh there are so many....
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Anapanasati sutta! In short: Keep breathing! ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta
    Everything changes, even you. To get caught up in anything as you or yours brings suffering.
  • Be a light unto yourself
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Everything, whether mind, matter or Nibbana, is just natural elements (dhamma dhatu)

:)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Sit down, stop speculating for five minutes, stay quiet and see for yourself.
  • Emptiness, not-self, and impermanence...about says it all...
  • he held up a flower.
  • with our thoughts we make the world
  • "Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting."

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."
  • "Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart give yourself to it."
    Who said it?
  • @dorjeesamten and swaydam- Where do these sayings come from?

I would suggest that "With our thoughts we make the world" tends toward "Mind-only" which if I remember right is inconsistent with mainstream Vajrayana.

And swaydam- where?

Just asking.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Attributed to Gautama -- I think in the Dhammapada:

Better your own Dharma
    However weak
    Than the Dharma of another
    However noble.
  • @dorjeesamten and swaydam- Where do these sayings come from?

I would suggest that "With our thoughts we make the world" tends toward "Mind-only" which if I remember right is inconsistent with mainstream Vajrayana.

And swaydam- where?

Just asking.
    I got them from thinkexist.com, a database of quotes.
  • mine are from the dhammapada, while gelugpa do not generally read the dhammapada I enjoy the nice artist tone it has. dunno just like that verse ┐('~`;)┌
  • I liked his thoughts on authority. He was worried that followers of Buddhism might place too much importance on a teacher's opinions, and lose their ability to think for themselves. If you hand someone authority on any issue, they should throw it right back onto you. The Buddha was a rebel and thought that in the end we should decide for ourselves and not place too much importance on other people's views. Sorta like saying "If you put someone on a pedestal, they will eventually fall". Always look at advice with a discerning eye, and with rational thought. I'm good at paraphrasing, but not at direct quotations. I know he said these things but I can't readily say where I first heard it.
  • Sano's Lute and the 5 Indriyas
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    with our thoughts we make the world
    mine are from the dhammapada,
    I've got news for you - this is a mistranslation, and inaccurate.....

This is the correct translation:

1. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2. Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.01.budd.html

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Theres also the other interpretations such as mind-only school and shentong. Shentong also based on Nagarjuna's madyamaka philosophy (or whatever you want to call it). If you are into Tibetan Buddhism that is basic stuff, but its only realized in your experience. Rather than intellectually. Right now your experience is said to be mind-only from a lense (or madyamaka).
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Its easier to conquer a thousand army than to control your mind.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Breathe in, breathe out, Breathe in, breathe out, etc. :)
  • If you knew what I know about the power of giving, you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
  • @seeker242 I think thats my favorite piece of wisdom.. hah.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    "The restless, busy nature of the world, this, I declare, is at the root of pain. Attain that composure of mind which is resting in the peace of immortality. Self is but a heap of composite qualities, and its world is empty like a fantasy
    "To avoid evil,
    To do good,
    To purify the mind,
    This is the advice of all the Buddhas."