Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth and the end of earth

ZaniaZania Explorer
edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
What happens as far as rebirth goes if the world is wiped out and becomes a barren place no longer suitable for life? Where do we all go then?

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Do such questions lead to peace and freedom from suffering?

More importantly, what about aging, sickness, death and separation? Find the answer to these and you would stop worrying about rebirth.
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Do such questions lead to peace and freedom from suffering?

More importantly, what about aging, sickness, death and separation? Find the answer to these and you would stop worrying about rebirth.

Im not worried. Just curious. Is that a crime? I want to know where all the so called consciousness stream , energy, minds etc would go? Its akin to thinking about space and the planets etc. Its interesting and I enjoy thinking about it. I thought Buddhism was about asking questions and finding out for one self so thats what Im doing. Are Buddhists not supposed to think of anything unless it leads to peace and freedom from suffering? Sometimes I enjoy thinking about other stuff.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited July 2010
    In answer to the first question, and only for those who believe in literal rebirth; there are many different realms in which one can "continue" (for want of a better word). And I'm sure there must be other habitable planets in the huge wide universe.

In answer to the second question; Buddha did indeed say that such questions are pointless and a waste of time. Sorry. (Watch this space whilst I find a quote from a sutta.)

Nios.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Ven. Malunkyaputta threatens to disrobe unless the Buddha answers all his speculative metaphysical questions. Using the famous simile of a man shot by a poison arrow, the Buddha reminds him that some questions are simply not worth asking.
    Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta
    "And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.
    "And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    even comprehend, there are known to be more universes than our own, maybe infinite universes. So the probability of there being life elsewhere is in fact almost a certainty. Everyone thinks of rebirth and keeps it within this planet as if buddhism implies only to this lump of rock or something.

regards tom :)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Zania wrote: »
    I want to know where all the so called consciousness stream, energy, minds etc would go?

I'm just wondering, what do you mean by a "consciousness stream"? Can mind exist without a physical body?
  • edited July 2010
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Cheers Sukhita, was looking for that :)
  • edited July 2010
    What happens as far as rebirth goes if the world is wiped out and becomes a barren place no longer suitable for life? Where do we all go then?
    What do you think the chances are that this is the only planet that is capable of supporting life?
    I think its 0.
    edited July 2010
    Yes me too, I said almost a certainty because how can you be certain of something you do not know for a fact? You can believe in it and have faith in it, but it is not a fact. I am curious though of something relating to this, so to you experienced practitioners out there,what dd buddha say if anything about reincarnation of life on other planets? Does the dharma refer to it at all, does it refer to anything close to this topic??

Thanks, tom :)
  • edited July 2010
    Yes me too, I said almost a certainty because how can you be certain of something you do not know for a fact? You can believe in it and have faith in it, but it is not a fact. I am curious though of something relating to this, so to you experienced practitioners out there,what dd buddha say if anything about reincarnation of life on other planets? Does the dharma refer to it at all, does it refer to anything close to this topic??

Who cares what Buddha said about it? Probably nothing.
    There is a lot of vast universe talk in the Mahayana scriptures but I dont think it really matters.
    We can come to informed conclusions and hypotheses on our own without ahistorical scriptures (Pali or Sanskrit).
    We know a lot more about the physical world now than the monks who wrote things down and attributed them to the Buddha in 100 BCE.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    We can come to informed conclusions and hypotheses on our own without ahistorical scriptures (Pali or Sanskrit).

The point here is not that we cannot come to conclusions of our own but that such questions are not necessarily linked with the Buddhist goal of Nibbana. So when someone asks about the end of the world in a Buddhist forum, it is bound to get answers like "not relevant" because it is not relevant in the Buddhist context. What is relevant to enlightenment is within the scriptures
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Few examples of such "conclusions" that different recluses and Brahmans have come to regarding the universe and self are discussed in the Brahmajala sutta, specifically chapter 2
  • edited July 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Few examples of such "conclusions" that different recluses and Brahmans have come to regarding the universe and self are discussed in the Brahmajala sutta, specifically chapter 2

I have absolutely no interest in this.
    I couldn't possibly care less.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I have absolutely no interest in this.
    I couldn't possibly care less.

For the record, it shows how speculative the conclusions to this kind of questions can be and how far fetched they are from cessation of suffering
  • edited July 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    For the record, it shows how speculative the conclusions to this kind of questions can be and how far fetched they are from cessation of suffering

Still don't care.
    The very idea of the cessation of suffering is speculative by such standards.
    Modern science can provide us with insight, knowledge, and interesting discussion topics.
    dry, pedantic, polemical suttas links aren't going to sway my opinions.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Modern science can provide us with insight, knowledge, and interesting discussion topics.

Noone said no. Human cloning is an interesting topic of discussion.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    dry, pedantic, polemical

Welcome to the brahmajala. The network of different views and opinions about the world
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    The post illustrates the problem with literal beliefs in anything: it is very easy to ask very "incovenient" questions about them.

So I choose to focus on suffering and its cessation living rebirth on the "jury's out" list.
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Why must this knowledge be learnt. If its true and we are reborn many lifetimes then why would we not know it already? If such things as Karma are carried over then why cant this wisdom or knowledge be? Why does it have to keep on being relearnt in every new life time? Doesnt make sense to me.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Im not worried. Just curious. Is that a crime? I want to know where all the so called consciousness stream , energy, minds etc would go? Its akin to thinking about space and the planets etc. Its interesting and I enjoy thinking about it. I thought Buddhism was about asking questions and finding out for one self so thats what Im doing. Are Buddhists not supposed to think of anything unless it leads to peace and freedom from suffering? Sometimes I enjoy thinking about other stuff.

nope, not a crime... it's just not helpful knowledge for you to have.

and yes, buddhism is about finding out answers to questions on your own. the only problem with this is that the buddha said to never trust answers that we do not discover to be true ourselves. never believe anything just because we have heard it or someone, even a teacher, has said it. a question such as the one you are asking... well, we'll never find that answer for ourselves. any answer is a distraction and pure speculation, at best. at worst, a delusion.

you can think about it, just realize it is a futile matter with no possibility of solution. i mean, unless it actually HAPPENED... then i suppose we'd know the truth. but why wait around for that? personally, i'd rather contemplate solutions to problems i have a chance at solving. much more beneficial. :)
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Out of all the different religions Ive always thought that if I were to ever follow/practice one that it would be Buddhism but the more I delve into it the more it seems to me that Buddhism like all religions requires a certain amount of blind faith. I dont have blind faith in anything and I most likely never will. I suppose I shall continue down the path of taking what is true for me from all religions. I mean all the different religions all claim to be the real one and say the others are all false. They all have different beliefs. Hinduism believe in reincarnation, christians believe in eternal heaven, buddhists believe in rebirth and nirvana and Im not sure what Muslims believe. Perhaps they all really believe the same thing but in different ways, Im not sure.
    I guess Ill just keep meditating as its relaxing , try to find my own truth and try to help people in some way but as for all the other stuff ,its all just too 'out there'. Believing in rebirths ,realms of existence, heavens ,gods etc is interesting to think about in the same way a sci fi movie is interesting but in reality in cannot be proven so its really only a theory. I know people will claim to have experienced Jesus in their lives or whatever but given the right circumstances humans can be persuaded to believe anything. I think placebo effect explains a lot. Surround yourself with thousands of ardent believers and its difficult to not get drawn in to the religious fervor.
    edited July 2010
    That is a fair comment and assumption to make, everyone has their own opinion. Which is why as buddhists, well the majority of us, we say that all religions are good, all religions are right in what they do to people, (if followed correctly). I must admit, before I started following buddhism I was a firm atheist and a man of science and logic. A lot of buddhism actually correlates to those 2 aspects, but I had trouble believing in reincarnation. I have thought long and hard about it and have come to find some faith in it. I have also seen the many great and fantastic attributes buddhism has brought to my personality and life. No1 says you have to be a buddhist and if you want to take aspects from it to follow, then sure go ahead :)

all the best, tom
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    That is a fair comment and assumption to make, everyone has their own opinion. Which is why as buddhists, well the majority of us, we say that all religions are good, all religions are right in what they do to people, (if followed correctly). I must admit, before I started following buddhism I was a firm atheist and a man of science and logic. A lot of buddhism actually correlates to those 2 aspects, but I had trouble believing in reincarnation. I have thought long and hard about it and have come to find some faith in it. I have also seen the many great and fantastic attributes buddhism has brought to my personality and life. No1 says you have to be a buddhist and if you want to take aspects from it to follow, then sure go ahead :)

all the best, tom

You mean rebirth right?
    edited July 2010
    sorry, what do you mean 'you mean rebirth'? Did I have trouble believing in it?
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    sorry, what do you mean 'you mean rebirth'? Did I have trouble believing in it?

You called it reincarnation. I understand they are two different theories.
    Where in thailand are you? I love it there. I went to Koh samui Phuket and Bangkok last year.
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, it is 5.40am here lol. Yes I meant rebirth, but in buddhism you can be reborn as an animal or other life form. I once read a thread in a different forum many months ago that debated if it would be possible to be reborn as a robot or inanimate object lol... :/

But yea, it took me a while to come around to this belief, but now I see truth in it personally.Some people do not take it so literally and others do.

Can I ask what do you want from a religion seeing as you have explore many of them? What drove you to do so in the first place..?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I dont have blind faith in anything and I most likely never will.

Everybody has blind faith in some things. At best you haven't uncovered yours yet.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I mean all the different religions all claim to be the real one and say the others are all false. They all have different beliefs. Hinduism believe in reincarnation, christians believe in eternal heaven, buddhists believe in rebirth and nirvana and Im not sure what Muslims believe. Perhaps they all really believe the same thing but in different ways, Im not sure.

i don't believe that buddhism is the "one true religion", all i know is that it works for me. if it doesn't work for you, well, that's okay by me... lol.

in my experience though, buddhism is really quite a lot of work. it's a lot of thinking and practice and studying and understanding... it's not exactly something that appeals to everyone. what oftentimes seems like a bunch of wacked out beliefs, overtime, makes more and more sense. thus far, whenever i've felt this way, it's always been my lack of understanding that has led to this assumption. well, combined with the fact that, like everything else, there are many opposing views and explanations. i always feel like i have to study... digest... read other views... digest... then eventually, i work it out for myself and know it to be true and understandable. i am extremely skeptical as well and studied quite a few other religions before buddhism. i always gave them a fair chance and learned as much as i could before deciding. eventually though, i left every one of them because i felt as though i was forcing myself to believe. it never just was... so far buddhism is the reining champ with over 3-4 years of study, haha. and i still feel like i've barely scratched the surface :buck:

i remember when i first learned that buddhism didn't support the idea of "reincarnation" as most new age beliefs do, what with the soul and you basically being the same but in a new body... i completely rejected it. i thought, "WHAT! this isn't what i thought buddhism is supposed to be!" but in time, i realized it was actually my adherence to this concept that was the blind faith. i never questioned this idea before and once i did, i had no support of it anymore.

you might enjoy the book, "The Universe in a Single Atom" by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. it discusses parallels between buddhism and science ranging from darwin to quantum mechanics. in it, i remember he said something along the lines of how if science ever proved buddhist beliefs to be false, then buddhism would have to change as it is the search for truth. that always stuck with me for some reason.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hi Zania, it would be hard to believe that the earth is the only planet which can sustain life in our universe. Have you ever heard of the Drake equation ? Well it is used to estimate the number of civilizations in our own galaxy. It is written below, and taken from the following link
    http://www.fennzart.com/planetarysystems/drake_equation.html

[SIZE=+2]Nc = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL[/SIZE]

<sup> </sup>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]N*[/SIZE] represents the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: How many stars are in the Milky Way Galaxy?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: Current estimates are 200 to 400 billion.[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]fp[/SIZE] is the fraction of stars that have planets around them[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: What percentage of stars have planetary systems?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: Current estimates range from 20% to 50%.[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]ne[/SIZE] number of planets per star that are capable of sustaining life[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: For each star that has a planetary system, how many planets are capable of sustaining life?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: estimates range from 1 to 2.[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]fl[/SIZE] is the fraction of planets in ne where life evolves[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: On what percentage of the planets that are capable of sustaining life does life actually evolve?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: Current estimates are 100% (where life can evolve it will) .[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]fi[/SIZE] is the fraction of fl where intelligent life evolves[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: On the planets where life does evolve, what percentage evolves intelligent life?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: Estimates are 50% .[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]fc[/SIZE] is the fraction of fi that communicate[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: What percentage of intelligent life forms have the means and the desire to communicate?[/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: 10% to 20%[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]fL[/SIZE] is fraction of the planet's life during which the communicating civilizations may survive[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dt>[SIZE=+1]Question: For each civilization that does communicate, for what
    fraction of the planet's life does the civilization survive?
    [/SIZE]</dt> <dt>[SIZE=+1]Answer: This is the most vague question. Using the Earth as our model, the expected lifetime
    of our Solar System is approximately 10 billion years. Already communication by radio has
    been for less than 100 years. How long can our civilization survive without destroy ourselves
    as some predict or will we overcome our problems and survive indefinately? If doomsday came
    today this figure would be 1/100,000,000th. If we survive for 10,000 more years this figure
    would be 1/1,000,000th.[/SIZE]</dt>
    <dd>[SIZE=+1]When all of these variables are multiplied, we get:[/SIZE] <dl><dt>[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]Nc[/SIZE], the number of communicating civilizations in the galaxy.[/SIZE]</dt></dl> </dd>

<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference"></sup>go to the link and calculate the number for different values of the variables you will find that we are most likely not alone :)
  • edited July 2010
    Out of all the different religions Ive always thought that if I were to ever follow/practice one that it would be Buddhism but the more I delve into it the more it seems to me that Buddhism like all religions requires a certain amount of blind faith. I dont have blind faith in anything and I most likely never will.

I know exactly how you feel. I got interested in Buddhism after watching a video of a talk given by Robina Courtin at Google titled "Be your own therapist" (highly highly recommend it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nasIq4E9nNg). Her take on Buddhism seems to be very much intellectual, viewing it as a "philosophy and practice" more than "a religion". However, once I started reading more and more, various hard-to-swallow topics came up, such as reincarnation/rebirth etc etc.

Here is one way to think about it, based on analogy with the most scientific of sciences, mathematics:
    - Do you believe that 2+2=4 ? It doesn't require belief, actually. You can demonstrate it with objects. This "belief" comes from us assigning symbols and agreeing on how those symbols work and what they mean. If you don't define what "2" and "+" and "4" mean, "2+2=4" makes absolutely no sense. Same goes for many other basic fundamental notions in math.
    - Do you believe that "log(xy) = log x + log y" (that is, the logarithm of the product of two numbers is the sum of the logarithms of those numbers)? Or, do you believe that "the product of any collection of compact topological spaces is compact"? If you are simply trying to calculate how much tip to leave in a restaurant, do you even care about such notions as logarithms and topology?

If you take simple but very useful things that Buddha said about human existence such as the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path (besides all of the other things that are contained in the suttas), and expound upon them in a way monks have been doing for the last 2500 years, using meditation to experience some things and theological reasoning to arrive at others, you might very well arrive to the notions of rebirth - such path will not require blind faith, since it will make sense to you in a similar way that many highly abstract and complex mathematical theorems do. You just have to select the basic/fundamental notions and a consistent way of reasoning that make sense to you. The question might not be "Do I believe in rebirth?", but "If I agree with the basic notions of Buddhism, does the notion of rebirth make sense in that whole framework?"

Pragmatic bottom line: don't let existence of abstract notions that you feel fuzzy about distract you from all of the immediately useful and accessible "stuff" that Buddhism stems from. Learn as much as you can about how people arrived at all of these notions and why. However, if you don't agree with the basics, then you should reject the whole thing and look elsewhere. If you follow this path for long enough, you just might find that rebirth makes sense, because it naturally arises from all of the other things that you already agree with. But before we get there, it might all just be Greek to you (and me). A parting thought: there is a theorem in mathematics that required more than 10,000 pages, 500 articles and 100s of mathematicians to prove, called "The classification of finite simple groups" - the idea behind it sounds as hard-to-swallow to a non-mathematician such as myself, as any higher level concepts in Buddhism, but because I accept the fundamentals of mathematics and trust the scientists, I kinda have to "believe" in the premise of that theorem...

That's my excuse to follow this particular "religion" called Buddhism, anyhow ;-)

(Sorry for long post)

Peace,

Peter
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Everybody has blind faith in some things. At best you haven't uncovered yours yet.

Thats your belief and not necessarily true.
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    Hi Zania, it would be hard to believe that the earth is the only planet which can sustain life in our universe. Have you ever heard of the Drake equation ? Well it is used to estimate the number of civilizations in our own galaxy. It is written below, and taken from the following link

Absolutely it would be hard to believe. Please dont think that I was implying such.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Out of all the different religions Ive always thought that if I were to ever follow/practice one that it would be Buddhism but the more I delve into it the more it seems to me that Buddhism like all religions requires a certain amount of blind faith. I don't have blind faith in anything and I most likely never will.

I copy pasted this from somewhere else. It speaks exactly to what you are talking about. Believing in rebirths ,realms of existence, heavens ,gods etc is not required nor is it necessary.:)
    Is Buddhism a Religion?

It is neither a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being."

Buddhism does not demand blind faith from its adherents. Here mere belief is dethroned and is substituted by confidence based on knowledge, which, in Pali, is known as Saddha. The confidence placed by a follower on the Buddha is like that of a sick person in a noted physician, or a student in his teacher. A Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha because it was He who discovered the Path of Deliverance.

A Buddhist does not seek refuge in the Buddha with the hope that he will be saved by His personal purification. The Buddha gives no such guarantee. It is not within the power of a Buddha to wash away the impurities of others. One could neither purify nor defile another. The Buddha, as Teacher, instructs us, but we ourselves are directly responsible for our purification.

Although a Buddhist seeks refuge in the Buddha, he does not make any self-surrender. Nor does a Buddhist sacrifice his freedom of thought by becoming a follower of the Buddha. He can exercise his own free will and develop his knowledge even to the extent of becoming a Buddha himself. The starting point of Buddhism is reasoning or understanding, or, in other words, Samma-ditthi.

To the seekers of truth the Buddha says:

"Do not accept anything on (mere) hearsay — (i.e., thinking that thus have we heard it from a long time). Do not accept anything by mere tradition — (i.e., thinking that it has thus been handed down through many generations). Do not accept anything on account of mere rumors — (i.e., by believing what others say without any investigation). Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything by mere suppositions. Do not accept anything by mere inference. Do not accept anything by merely considering the reasons. Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions. Do not accept anything merely because it seems acceptable — (i.e., thinking that as the speaker seems to be a good person his words should be accepted). Do not accept anything thinking that the ascetic is respected by us (therefore it is right to accept his word).

"But when you know for yourselves — these things are immoral, these things are blameworthy, these things are censured by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken conduce to ruin and sorrow — then indeed do you reject them.

"When you know for yourselves — these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness — then do you live acting accordingly."

edited July 2010
    Thats your belief and not necessarily true.

are you sure? i admit, i have blind faith in many things. for example, i believe that light rays bend in the presence of gravity... although if you asked me why, i'd be at a loss to explain. i also believe that the universe is constantly expanding... because i learned it in school. it would be extremely difficult and require a lot of time and effort for me to have drawn those conclusions myself. in the end, i think i just chalk it up to, "well...these people have more experience and knowledge than me, i believe i could understand this if i tried as hard as they do." i have the same approach to buddhism.

i like the parallel that Unlikelybdst drew between believing in what mathematicians and scientists tell us and believing what more knowledgeable buddhist practitioners say. it's not that i accept their ideas blindly, it's that i believe that if i study and practice enough... i too, will one day grasp that understanding. the only difference between the theory of relativity and buddhism, is that i have the desire to understand the latter.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Expand your thinking. We live on one of an infinite number of habitable planets in an infinite number of solar systems in an infinite number of galaxies, all of which is but one part of one of probably an infinite number of universes besides this one. If we blow earth to smithereens, I think there are other places we'll end up :)

Mtns
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Expand your thinking. We live on one of an infinite number of habitable planets in an infinite number of solar systems in an infinite number of galaxies, all of which is but one part of one of probably an infinite number of universes besides this one. If we blow earth to smithereens, I think there are other places we'll end up :)

Mtns

Expand your reading. Noone denied life on other planets. If you read the entire thread you would see that.
    edited July 2010

The "Earth" is not eternal and like anything else subject to the law of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and selflessness.

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "Monks, from an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, although beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on.

"There comes a time when the great ocean evaporates, dries up, & does not exist. But for beings — as long as they are hindered by ignorance, fettered by craving, transmigrating & wandering on — I don't say that there is an end of suffering & stress.

"There comes a time when Sineru, king of mountains, is consumed with flame, is destroyed, & does not exist. But for beings — as long as they are hindered by ignorance, fettered by craving, transmigrating & wandering on — I don't say that there is an end of suffering & stress.

"There comes a time when the great earth is consumed with flame, is destroyed, & does not exist. But for beings — as long as they are hindered by ignorance, fettered by craving, transmigrating & wandering on — I don't say that there is an end of suffering & stress.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.099.than.html
    edited July 2010
    Who cares what Buddha said about it? Probably nothing.

We know a lot more about the physical world now than the monks who wrote things down and attributed them to the Buddha in 100 BCE.

That is not Buddhism.

"So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.

"So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html
  • ZaniaZania Explorer
    edited July 2010
    I dont like this idea that the dalai lama gets to choose to reincarnate but the rest of us dont. That just seems hierarchical and elitist much like the roman catholics and their pope. If everyone is equal and we are meant to treat every one as such then why is he placed up there on a pedestal? and who decides which baby the new dalai is being born into?
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited July 2010

Well, all is impermanent. We die, as does the Earth. As does the Galaxy.

fin.

game over.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I dont like this idea that the dalai lama gets to choose to reincarnate but the rest of us dont. That just seems hierarchical and elitist much like the roman catholics and their pope. If everyone is equal and we are meant to treat every one as such then why is he placed up there on a pedestal? and who decides which baby the new dalai is being born into?

1. The Dalai Lama does not represent Buddhism
    2. Not all Buddhists believe in rebirth and that includes great teachers
    3. You clearly have no understanding of the Tibetan branches of Buddhism by words such as "get to reincarnate" and "but the rest of don't."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Zania, maybe beliefs in reincarnation are not acceptable to you..

The idea is that the reincarnation happens because their is enough awareness or awakened consciousness to direct where you are reborn... Not everyone has enough awakened consciousness. You can call bs if you want :) Nobody is telling you what to believe :) Their are plenty of youtube videos of people slamming religions of all stripes.

If it sounds elitist then maybe a teacher would not be a good fit for you right now. Not everyone is alike. Also in your argument the assumption is that tulkus are not truly reincarnating. That it is an elitist lie to puff them up. That could be true but it could be the case that they are truly reincarnating. In that case how can the truth be elitist? That would be like saying that it is elitist for a chef to be on tv. Why does he get to be on tv? I could be on tv. But I don't have the skills and fame of the chef. I can only cook a handful of things so of course I lack the abilities to be on a cooking tv show. Likewise is it elitist that a medical doctor does surgery and earns the money? Why don't I get to do surgery and paid even though I have no training or experience?

I think shenpas point is that if you read a sutra but don't yourself realize cessation of suffering that it could all be a lie. Just like if I read that buffalo chicken tastes really good but I have never tasted it it really is only an obsession of ideas for me. I could even recite scripture that discusses the reasons for each spice but unless I have tasted the chicken I don't know whether buffalo chicken is any good. I don't think shenpa is saying that he can prove that there is no buddha. But I could be wrong.

To that standpoint impermanence is apparent. And my reaction (unfavorable and suffering) is apparent. Unless I can change impermanence or my reaction to it I don't think that suffering will ever end. I take on faith that by practicing with the dharma I can slowly improve my reaction to impermanence. And that is what people should focus on rather than getting upset over buddhist politics or whatever (elitist).

Even if there is no way to overcome suffering I would still try. It would make me sad to not even try and I feel a little bit better when I work to end it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Pointless thread....
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited July 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Pointless thread....

All threads are pointless. Did you come here for enlightenment?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited July 2010

As you must have already realized, this type of questions have no solid answers but mere speculation or some scientific facts pointing out to a possible explanation. Even if this question has a clear cut answer, it is still irrelevant to the here and now freedom from Dukkha, which is actually what the essence of Buddhism is about. The Buddha has clearly advised his disciples to stay away from these types of questions as already quoted.

However, if it makes you happy, given below is such "speculation" which appears in the DN. I doubt this was actually spoken by the Buddha but since you seem in need of some answer, this could be a possible explanation....
    Now there comes a time, brethren, when, sooner or later, after the lapse of a long long period, this world-system passes away. And when this happens beings have mostly been reborn in the World of Radiance, and there they dwell made of mind, feeding on joy, radiating light from themselves, traversing the air, continuing in glory; and thus they remain for a long long period of time.

3. Now there comes also a time, brethren, when, sooner or later, this world-system begins to re-evolve. When this happens the Palace of Brahmà appears, but it is empty. And some being or other, either because his span of years has passed or his merit is exhausted, falls from that World -of Radiance, and comes to life in the Palace of Brahmà. And there also he lives made of mind, feeding on joy, radiating light from himself, traversing the air, continuing in glory; and thus does he remain for a long long period of time

According to it you go to the "World of Radiance" after the universe is gone or something... You can read more here.
  • edited July 2010
    Where are you getting this nonsense?
    edited July 2010
    lol, one thing I will say, karma is not an all knowing god handing out gold medals or punishment after death. Nobody decides where you get reborn, karma is a law of of nature as much as gravity is. You cannot see gravity, but you can see it's effects. you drop a hammer and it falls to the floor. Just as with karma, you smash a window and you watch the glass shatter and fall to the floor. You then see the owner get angry and upset having to clean this mess up. Maybe they cut themself on a shard of glass and they get even more angry at you and you feel bad about the whole situation.

About the dalai lama, I have never heard this before and do not know the truth behind it. I will leave that to someone else :p
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    All threads are pointless. Did you come here for enlightenment?

This one especially so...:)
    No i came to practise patience. :lol:
    edited July 2010
    looooool