Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has there been anyone in modern times who has reached enlightenment

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
hi

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Well, we might need to define "enlightenment" in order to answer the question. But Gopi Krishna is undoubtedly one, IMO. Through his experience with Kundalini, he reached a state of enlightenment, and then under UN sponsorship, travelled around the world speaking about how Kundalini is the evolutionary goal of mankind. The Kundalini energy is what the Tibetans call the "bliss state", it's what their tantric practices are aimed at activating. Gopi Krishna experienced it as a result of years of a regular meditation practice, but there are other methods. The Kalahari Bushmen healers access it by dancing and stamping their feet. Then they use the energy to heal illness in others. They're said by all the surrounding tribes to be the most powerful healers around. Sorry....I digress. So...are the Bushmen (San) healers enlightened? They certainly seem to live in a state of compassion and generosity. Or they did until most of their land was taken away and social problems set in. Oh well....digressing again. So...how are we going to define enlightenment? And "modern times" for that matter. (Do the Bushmen count?)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Possibly.
    It doesn't really matter.
    Are you enlightened?
    Work from that basis.....
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2010
    bill wrote: »
    hi

Yes of course, but 'reached' is a bit of an odd word to indicate. Still, it happens.

Hope that helps.
  • edited November 2010
    You ask the question as if enlightenment is separate from us. There is nothing to reach.
  • edited November 2010
    Rather than quibble about semantics or engage in philosophical nit-picking (no offense), why don't we address the spirit of the original question: have there been any enlightened individuals in modern times? Any nominations? Aside from Gopi Krishna, what about Amma Chi? Can we start a list, and then discuss? There might be multiple viewpoints regarding some of the nominees, but it could be interesting.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I think the simple answer is that we can guess and give our own opinions, but there is no documented, officially-recognised, globally-accepted enlightened being, and as such all discussion is conjecture.
    And really, what does it matter, and what difference does it make to us? It's merely a distraction.

And such conjecture is a waste of time, when one could spend one's time better concentrating on more pressing matters, like our own progress....

I really do believe it's that simple.
  • edited November 2010
    Rather than quibble about semantics or engage in philosophical nit-picking (no offense), why don't we address the spirit of the original question: have there been any enlightened individuals in modern times? Any nominations? Aside from Gopi Krishna, what about Amma Chi? Can we start a list, and then discuss? There might be multiple viewpoints regarding some of the nominees, but it could be interesting.

Who's quibbling? Pointing out that there is no separate being which could achieve a separate enlightenment is far more productive than making an unverifiable list of people that may or may not be enlightened. There's no way to know. And we don't know all the people that have ever lived in modern times, so who knows how many people we've missed. It's silly. If you continue to think in terms of separateness you will not achieve enlightenment, hence my post.
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry. I was assuming the OP asked his question for a reason, not to be dismissed as silly or a waste of time. Hello, Bill? What were you aiming at when you opened this thread? I'm game if you are.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    You ask the question as if enlightenment is separate from us. There is nothing to reach.

I suppose it all depends on how one approaches the issue. The way it's presented in the Pali Canon, for example, awakening is definitely described as a goal to be reached through effort and heedfulness. From this perspective, the view that there's nothing to reach has the danger of leading to inaction, e.g., someone might think, "If there's nothing to reach, then why practice?" In my opinion, dropping our perception of self is something that's better done near the end of the path, after we've developed a stable foundation of virtue, concentration and discernment.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Sorry. I was assuming the OP asked his question for a reason, not to be dismissed as silly or a waste of time. Hello, Bill? What were you aiming at when you opened this thread? I'm game if you are.

Would these have to be Buddhist —or even from some other Eastern tradition? I mean, might Shri Ramakrisna of Bengal, for instance, be included?

Also, what delineates "modern?" Aristotle used to refer to his times as "modern."

Might we be better served to have an actual timeline, say maybe after 1400 CE? After 1700 CE? After 1800 CE?

Many followers of Sanata Dharma believe that Krishna, Jesus, Buddha, Sri Ramakrishna, to name a few, were Avatars (and therefore Enlightened).

That begs another question in my mind, does an Enlightened Being have to be an Avatar. I'd say no, even if it were due just to a matter of that person not so choosing to be a Bodhisattva-Maker.
    edited November 2010

I honestly don't know whether anyone in more recent times has achieved awakening, although Ajahn Boowa, of the Thai Forest Tradition, is thought by some to be an arahant (e.g., see his book, The Path to Arahantship). Ajahn Sao and Ajahn Mun, co-founders of the Thai Forest Tradition tradition, are also thought to have achieved awakening. Then there's Ajahn Chah, a student of Ajahn Mun, and Ajahn Fuang, a student of Ajahn Lee, etc.
  • edited November 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I suppose it all depends on how one approaches the issue. The way it's presented in the Pali Canon, for example, awakening is definitely described as a goal to be reached through effort and heedfulness. From this perspective, the view that there's nothing to reach has the danger of leading to inaction, e.g., someone might think, "If there's nothing to reach, then why practice?" In my opinion, dropping our perception of self is something that's better done near the end of the path, after we've developed a stable foundation of virtue, concentration and discernment.

It is not necessary to have the view I have presented. In fact, it's not necessary to have any view at all. If you feel you're not ready for it, then by all means put it to the side and take it up when you are. Or don't. My understanding of emptiness and non-separation has greatly increased my desire to practice.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I think the simple answer is that we can guess and give our own opinions, but there is no documented, officially-recognised, globally-accepted enlightened being, and as such all discussion is conjecture.
    And really, what does it matter, and what difference does it make to us? It's merely a distraction.

And such conjecture is a waste of time, when one could spend one's time better concentrating on more pressing matters, like our own progress....

I really do believe it's that simple.

I do agree.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited November 2010
    TheJourney -Do you notice that Jason has been posting here since 03? Do you really think that his understanding of emptiness is less than your own? It would have been easy for him to pass by your post, but he took the time to clear up an important point for you. It can really pay off to believe that you can learn from someone with more experience. I find that it helps to assume that my view might not be correct or complete. Anyone who has read some Buddhism can claim to understand emptiness. To realize emptiness is another matter. To achieve continuity in the realization of emptiness is a life's work. By the time you are half my age you will probably have exceeded my realization by far. You have a very good start.:)-P
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2010
    We're all enlightened... we just don't know it :buck:
  • edited November 2010
    There was some zen guy who said once that there was only enlightened activity rather than enlightened people. Apart from that, I'm more of the federica school of thought, and more into mentors - those I know I can learn from - then seeking to detemine the state - or non-state! - of anybody.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yes and No.

No, of course not, not in the way you ask the question. In fact, throughout recorded history, there has never been anyone who has "reached enlightenment", including the Buddha.

Yes, of course there are, in the only way that matters.
  • edited November 2010
    robot wrote: »
    TheJourney -Do you notice that Jason has been posting here since 03? Do you really think that his understanding of emptiness is less than your own? It would have been easy for him to pass by your post, but he took the time to clear up an important point for you. It can really pay off to believe that you can learn from someone with more experience. I find that it helps to assume that my view might not be correct or complete. Anyone who has read some Buddhism can claim to understand emptiness. To realize emptiness is another matter. To achieve continuity in the realization of emptiness is a life's work. By the time you are half my age you will probably have exceeded my realization by far. You have a very good start.:)-P

I don't think time posting on a forum has anything to do with what level of realization. I don't think time spent trying to understand it has much to do with it, either. This isn't our first life. If I got to a certain understanding prior to this life I have an easier time than others. I'm not saying I have or did anything, I just mean in general. I think that I can learn from anyone, regardless of level of experience. I certainly think I can learn from more experienced buddhists, and I also think I can learn from people of any religions. My views don't lead me to inaction, and as such the problem he presented doesn't apply to me as of now. You are free to believe as you wish, as is he, as am I, as is anyone.
    edited November 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I don't think time posting on a forum has anything to do with what level of realization. I don't think time spent trying to understand it has much to do with it, either. This isn't our first life. If I got to a certain understanding prior to this life I have an easier time than others. I'm not saying I have or did anything, I just mean in general. I think that I can learn from anyone, regardless of level of experience. I certainly think I can learn from more experienced buddhists, and I also think I can learn from people of any religions. My views don't lead me to inaction, and as such the problem he presented doesn't apply to me as of now. You are free to believe as you wish, as is he, as am I, as is anyone.

That's true, time spent posting on a forum shows how long one has spent time posting on that forum, nothing more.
  • edited November 2010
    That's true, time spent posting on a forum shows how long one has spent time posting on that forum, nothing more.

We all understand what we understand and are ignorant of what we are ignorant of. To label someone as "wise" or "ignorant" is foolish, because what the person is is irrelevant, all that matters is the merit of each statement. You can learn profound truth from someone you may think is ignorant. You can hear foolishness from someone you may think is wise. Self-reliance is incredibly important, self-reliance while being open to learning from anyone you come into contact with.
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Would these have to be Buddhist —or even from some other Eastern tradition? I mean, might Shri Ramakrisna of Bengal, for instance, be included?

Also, what delineates "modern?" Aristotle used to refer to his times as "modern."

Might we be better served to have an actual timeline, say maybe after 1400 CE? After 1700 CE? After 1800 CE?

Many followers of Sanata Dharma believe that Krishna, Jesus, Buddha, Sri Ramakrishna, to name a few, were Avatars (and therefore Enlightened).

That begs another question in my mind, does an Enlightened Being have to be an Avatar. I'd say no, even if it were due just to a matter of that person not so choosing to be a Bodhisattva-Maker.

Well, I suggested in my original response that we define "Modern Times", and I suggested Gopi Krishna as a candidate--someone from an Eastern tradition. I interpreted the question broadly--anyone anywhere in the world of any tradition. No, an Enlightened Being doesn't have to be an Avatar. (It would help to get some input and clarification from the OP.) Maybe, until we hear from the OP, we could define "Modern Times" as the beginning of the Industrial Age and thereafter...?

Bill, are you still with us?
    edited November 2010
    Has there been anyone in modern times who has reached enlightenment?

I hope so. To me the idea of a world full of only darksome people would be very frightening. I also think that this is not a question to be summarily dismissed as unimportant. I find it to be a pragmatic question that might help pique somebody's desire to learn more about spiritual traditions of various types.

Yet, in this context, I cannot help but thinking also of many artists through the ages who by their poetry or prose fiction or paintings, sculptures, etc., etc, have left behind works that still radiate a pure revelation of unclouded seeing to us. Surely they had some very large moments of enlightenment themselves. Although reluctant to designate them as "enlightened beings," on the glimpses they seem to have had, I nonetheless revere their contributions from the same "pure ground" from which the enlightened beings seem to spring.

Some works of art, like say a koan, have, as it were, "a god in them" (en-theos, enthusiasm) that can lift us to a transcendent plane for a while as we are just gazing within ourselves upon them, our mental clouds lifted awhile.

Compassionate Warrior, so you think about 1700 CE, then? That's the beginning of the mechanistic/industrial age. But scholars say the modern era began 200 years earlier after the introduction in 1440 of the printing press by Gutenberg and culminating in the Protestant Reformation of the early 1500s.
  • edited November 2010
    Compassionate Warrior, so you think about 1700 CE, then. That's the beginning of the mechanistic/industrial age. But scholars say the modern era began 200 years earlier after the introduction in 1440 of the printing press by Gutenberg and culminating in the Protestant Reformation of the early 1500s.[/QUOTE]

That's ok by me. But...did everyone enter the Modern Era at the same time? Were some cultures ahead of others, or do we care? Are we going to say 1440 across the board? (A lot more ground to cover than if we start at 1700.) How does this work; do we vote, or do we let Bill call it? (Where is that dude, anyway?)
    edited November 2010
    I suppose it all depends on how one approaches the issue. The way it's presented in the Pali Canon, for example, awakening is definitely described as a goal to be reached through effort and heedfulness. From this perspective, the view that there's nothing to reach has the danger of leading to inaction, e.g., someone might think, "If there's nothing to reach, then why practice?"

Well said, the 'We're already enlightened so we don't need to practice' is also another trap.

It's like the clear lens you may be looking through, without clarifying some of the muck we have accumulated, it is still sh*tty lens.

Metta,
    Abu
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    At the risk of setting off a debate on semantics, the problem is that Enlightenment (TM) as it is widely talked about and written about is like sainthood--it's something that is thrust upon a person by his or her followers. The Buddha's followers voted him enlightened, but the important thing is, he awakened. As for some monk saying once awakened there being nothing left to do, the Buddha would disagree at that translation of what he's trying to say. Upon looking around at the world with clear eyes, Buddha saw the people addicted to selfish desires and because of his great compassion began the impossible job of teaching them how to eliminate suffering. That's certainly a lot left to do.

The world has many awakened people in it. Most of them, you'll never hear of, as they quietly go about acting out of compassion. But Enlightenment? You can find them, if you look. They like publicity. The followers of the typical Guru type figure call their leader enlightened, and if you've heard one speak or read their books, they're impressive. The difference is, none of these great Enlightened Guru people have managed to teach their followers anything but how to worship. Thus, when the Guru dies, the group dies with him.

The Buddha, upon his awakening, taught his followers and established the Sangha to continue teaching us the Noble Truths and 8-fold Path. Look what a difference one awakened man made in the world versus the tiny effect of dozens of Enlightened Gurus then and now.

And while we, especially in Zen rightfully point out that enlightenment is not a goal and there is nothing to reach out there, it is in fact true that every one of us is hoping for something to happen in the future, to find the happiness we see and hear is possible. So we use language designed to treat it, whatever it is, as something separate and "out there". We can't help it. While it's proper to point out like the great Zen masters that there's nothing to find, that you're there and just have to open your eyes and look around, we still encourage the seeker to try harder, to not give up, that what you seek is just around the bend.

A man once vowed he'd walk in one direction until he saw the edge of the world before he died. So he began walking East, and when he came to water he built a boat and continued East until he came to land again. He encounted many strange people and things. A long, long time and many hardships later, he looked around one day and recognized the land around him. He realized that his long journey had taken him to where he started. He had gone nowhere, in the end. But, he was a changed man for having gone nowhere. His eyes were open to the true nature of the world.

So begin your journey to Enlightenment, the Edge of the World that is out there somewhere. We'll meet back here eventually, awakened instead, with lots of Zen stories to tell each other.
  • edited November 2010
    um...ok. Good point, but does that mean we're giving up on answering the OP's question? Is it unanswerable? I thought Gopi Krishna was pretty impressive, and he didn't have any followers. I was also going to suggest Harry Belafonte, as an "awakened" person, or a living Bodhisattva. He devoted his life to movements for social change in the US and South Africa, and accomplished a lot. (Don't laugh--there's a lot more to him than the "Banana Boat Song". ;) ) Some of his musical compositions are very spiritual. Emanuel Swedenborg is believed by some to have been "awakened". He was plugged into the Kundalini energy, the goal of some of the Vajrayana practices. Oh well. Nobody but Nirvana and I seem interested in this question. (Where is Bill??) It seems kind of rude to the OP, to just trash his question, but maybe he's given up, too.
    edited November 2010
    um...ok. Good point, but does that mean we're giving up on answering the OP's question? Is it unanswerable? I thought Gopi Krishna was pretty impressive, and he didn't have any followers. I was also going to suggest Harry Belafonte, as an "awakened" person, or a living Bodhisattva. He devoted his life to movements for social change in the US and South Africa, and accomplished a lot. (Don't laugh--there's a lot more to him than the "Banana Boat Song". ;) ) Some of his musical compositions are very spiritual. Emanuel Swedenborg is believed by some to have been "awakened". He was plugged into the Kundalini energy, the goal of some of the Vajrayana practices. Oh well. Nobody but Nirvana and I seem interested in this question. (Where is Bill??) It seems kind of rude to the OP, to just trash his question, but maybe he's given up, too.

I guess you must have overlooked post #12.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to know for sure whether someone has achieved awakening (unless you have the ability to read their mind, that is), but I do think you can hazard a guess by observing their conduct and putting their teachings into practice.
    edited November 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    Begin your journey to Enlightenment, the Edge of the World that is out there somewhere. We'll meet back here eventually, awakened instead, with lots of Zen stories to tell each other.

Cinorjer, what a great post, every word of it! Thank you!
  • edited November 2010
    In the Tibetan tradition, not all emanations of bodhisattvas appear as lineage masters. They might appear as companions to those who are lonely, doctors, world leaders, entertainers, even as the mere intention to help others, so I think there is something to what you are saying, compassionate_warrior.

I think that the OP's question was simple and relevant. It is important to me that the teachers I follow have actually practiced what they teach and achieve the result of the practice. I personally don't think that enlightenment is so far away nor do I think it is limited to Buddhism. I certainly believe that Ramana Maharshi, Ramakrishna, Sri Sri Chandrashekarendra Sarasvati, Karmapa, the Dalai Lama, Dudjom Rinpoche and others have attained the goal and spent their lives teaching others to realize the same thing with great success. Some may say that this is simply speculation and I don't really care to argue with anyone about it. Personally, I feel that our own buddha nature resonates with the presence of enlightened masters and we can recognize them when we are in their presence. YMMV.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    There is a reason that the truly enlightened, fully awakened, do not label themselves as such. They have through clear discernment dropped away all wrong-view of a separate "self" that has any individual essence ("is" anything) and have come into harmony with reality. Neither should we seek to label them, even if we knew it were so! Though it may be comforting to know that it is possible, this comfort can not be achieved through the efforts of others; only through our own effort, our own practice, can we find peace. If we believe that the Buddha was enlightened, that many others awakened under his guidance and that his teachings remain a part of "modern" Buddhism, then assuredly with dedication and effort this liberation remains just as possible -- though when it is found, there will be no one to claim it.
    edited November 2010
    Not to mention they would probably be hounded. But I guess there are a lot of frauds out there too. The only way to really know is to be true through yourself and then those lens will be clearer all round. It's a bit easier than second guessing IMO.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited November 2010
    When you no longer get angry and when you no longer have fears that is when you're enlightened. At least that is what I've heard. I know of two people that probably fit this. That would be the Dalai Lama, and Ajahn Brahm. That's not to say there isn't more though.

Is it natural to not get angry, is it natural to not be afraid? Maybe as natural as it is for a kick boxer to break a baseball bat with their chin. That happens by conditioning the nerves on that area with pain, to thicken and eventually be tougher than normal.
    Sunspot5254
  • edited November 2010
    The idea that enlightenment in its many levels is rare and so special as to deserve worship is not really true, The Buddhas teaching are a step by step introduction and path to enlightenment whereby suffering ceases to be or is at least severely held in check, my low level of enlightenment gives me touch with the emptiness and eliminates 95% of my suffering, however there are plenty of monks all over the world with higher enlightenment than me, and my goal is to make a greater effort to let them guide me to the next level, this is one of the reasons I have joined this forum, not just to talk about myself but to hear other opinions about religion, as well as to be helpful to beginners trying to get an introduction of Buddhism.

I have read over 50 books about Buddha, Buddhism and Tibet, but it is many years of going to Temple that made a real difference in my Life. Christianity does not teach enlightenment, Buddhism does; I caught my first glimpse of enlightenment under the tutelage of a visionary Thai-Lao monk Piyapong Yusaef, I would meditate sometimes for three hours without hardly moving, ever since then I practically never experience what I would call suffering, I even did some time in jail, with out loseing my peace of mind, to not suffer is to look on the bright side of things and not dwell on the negative........

sincerely John:)
    edited November 2010
    If you did time in jail, then somebody lost their peace of mind...

It doesn't matter. It's gone and in the past......
    I would think it's worse if someone loses a piece of Mind....

Welcome to the forum, FMJohn.....;)
  • edited November 2010
    I think the OP posted a good question to get us thinking. Karmadorje came up with a good list. I think there are more enlightened beings living today and that have lived in the last couple of centuries than we can possibly imagine. Many of them are so humble, they go unnoticed. I think that many are hidden, disguised, sort of, as lower-caste people (or as ethnic minorities in societies dominated by Europeans and their descendants, or as indigenous or tribal people anywhere in the world), to test the rest of us, to see if we're paying attention.

There are Tibetan tales on this theme, where the practitioner of pure heart recognizes the Bodhisattva by the road, and receives enlightenment himself, while the less realized practitioner sees only a rabid, mangy old dog, for example. How would be know if the hotel maid is a Bodhisattva or not, if we don't talk to her and get to know her? Or the school janitor, or the massage therapist? It could be anyone. Think back through your life experience; is there anyone from humble origins you might have passed by, whose demeanor may have been kindly and gentle, or who may have been a community organizer in their private life, any nurses or doctors who caught your attention for a moment because of their unusual dedication? The OP's question is a good one to inspire reflection.
  • edited November 2010
    CW: Indeed, all sentient beings are the buddhas of the future. We don't need to talk to them to find them out, just regard them purely free from our preconceptions. :-)
  • edited November 2010
    I think this is an inspiring angle from which to view the question, the hidden-bodhisattvas-among-us angle.

I was riding the bus once in Berkeley, CA, and there were some rowdy kids who were talking loudly about the mayhem they were going to wreak over the weekend. (We're talking serious crime.) And the driver was talking to them, talking on their level but in a heart-centered way, and working on convincing them to not cause any trouble or any problems for themselves. After they got off the bus, I said to the bus driver, "WOW! That was impressive!" And he said, that's what you have to do these days; you have to be a social worker as well as a bus driver.

I've never seen anything like that anywhere in the US or any other country; most transit workers just watch the road, ignore rowdy kids, and probably count the hours and minutes until their shift ends and they can go home. This driver took those kids under his wing as if they were his own, and may have deterred crime as well. I had the impression he spent a good part of his shift fairly often trouble-shooting situations that arose, almost as if it were his mission in life. He saw his job as much more encompassing than just driving the bus like a robot. And he had a gift for relating to difficult people.

So, maybe we can add "Berkeley busdriver" to the list....? (And what about those Kalahari Bushmen healers I mentioned in the beginning?) Stories, anyone?
  • edited November 2010
    Obviously......... Chuck Norris :lol:
  • edited November 2010
    The question you REALLY should be asking is the most obvious - did Gautama achieve enlightenment?
  • edited November 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    The question you REALLY should be asking is the most obvious - did Gautama achieve enlightenment?

Yes.
  • edited November 2010
    Supernatrual powers does not lead to enlightenment.

Buddha does not heal people with supernatrual powers.
  • edited November 2010
    For your own karma, please do not slander the Buddha.
  • edited November 2010
    It isn't slander if he's really curious, but this bears a good question of how one knows the Buddha's enlightenment was true. I'll explain how I know it is true. I know it is true because it worked for me. The Noble Eightfold Path has eliminated much suffering from my life, and I am feeling closer to the goal of realization. I vouch for the true enlightenment of the Buddha. Anyone else agree?
    Sunspot5254
  • edited November 2010
    It's a valid question. And this is not slander. Like Fruit Punch said, it's about how we know it's true.

If you want to boil it down, you can say also claim you believe in Jesus' resurrection because there is a book who says it it was so. Question everything. It's the only way to get to the truth.
  • edited November 2010
    If you want to boil it down, you can say also claim you believe in Jesus' resurrection because there is a book who says it it was so. Question everything. It's the only way to get to the truth.

True, but for example we can see how that the way the Buddha described things fit reality. All things are temporary, they are without inherent existence, the emotions we have also are divided by suffering. Loving-kindness does defeat hatefulness, compassion does defeat cruelty, equanimity defeats fear, and sympathetic joy does defeat envy. :)

The Dharma the Buddha preached fits reality. It works.
  • edited November 2010
    All of that makes logical sense. That's why it doesn't matter for me if Gautama even existed (which, I'm not saying he didn't) or if all the stories we read about him are true or not. There is a quote that usually resonates with me quite a lot. You could say it's my favorite quote :
    By idolizing those whom we honor we do a disservice both to them and to ourselves… we fail to recognize that we could go and do likewise.

I hold no more reverence to Buddha than I do to any other human being. He's not even in front of me, I've never met him :) Just like Newton or Aristotle...I admire his contribution, but only because I see the value in some of the things he had to say and how, like you say, they fit reality. I don't blindly follow anyone, or believe in anyone. I don't believe in faith as means to get to the truth. I believe in impartiality.

That's also why, I don't subscribe to all of buddhism because some of it makes sense to me. I have still to find a good reason to believe in karma and rebirth, for example.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You might get something out of the biography of Mae Chee Kaew, which you can read free online at Forest Dhamma Books: http://tinyurl.com/maecheekaew.

She lived from 1901 to 1991; while she's not currently alive, I imagine her story would be of interest to you.

Enlightenment happens.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    The OP's question was about whether there have been any enlightened beings in modern times.
  • edited November 2010
    The dalai lama is enlightened and probably one of the most widely recognized enlightened figures in the world.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Says... who? He doesn't claim enlightenment; in fact he claims not to be enlightened. We're just projecting our desires upon the man if we label him. Look for the Buddha within.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama is a living role model for the boundless compassion we endeavor to cultivate as Buddhist practitioners. He likely has awakened to some extent, but at least IMHO he doesn't need to be enlightened to be looked up to in this world. His speech and actions are enough. :)