Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have you suffered in life?

footiamfootiam Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Is it true that according to Buddhism, life is suffering? How have you suffered in life?

Comments

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    1. Life as a whole is not suffering. The way people manage their lives can bring suffering.
    2. Emotionally.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The word "suffering" is sometimes translated as "uncertainty" or "doubt."

But in the usual, emotional, sense of "suffering," I always liked a TV interview I once saw. Anne Morrow Lindbergh, widow of famed trans-Atlantic aviator Charles Lindbergh, was being interviewed. In March of 1932, the Lindbergh's 20-month-old son was kidnapped and held for ransom. The baby was later found dead. The event made headlines at the time and the television interviewer was stuck with asking the question that most viewers wanted to hear asked and yet cringed in the event: "How does it feel to have your child kidnapped?"

Mrs. Lindbergh allowed several, pregnant seconds to pass before she opened her mouth and said quietly, "I believe that everybody has suffered a tragedy." While the answer sidestepped the actual question, it also spoke to a wider truth, something everyone might keep in mind as they deal with others.
  • edited February 2011
    From childhood I always had a mirror looking back at me. Back then and to this day I could never do anything without seeing myself doing it. Couldn't enjoy my good accomplishments (always self-criticised for not being perfect). Couldn't let go of bad/stupid "accomplishments" (always viciously self-criticized for being unforgivingly bad). I replayed the bad "video" over and over in my head. Meanwhile? Nobody could ever tell what was going on, kept it to myself and I'm even considered a "success" by society at large and people like me and think I'm fun to be around. Don't worry, I'm feeling better as middle age approaches. IM_H_O? That was quite a lot of suffering. Makes me almost literally sick to think back about it today. Thanks for letting me express this.

I must have had accumulated some bad-mirror Karma in past lives! :D
  • edited February 2011
    Is it true that according to Buddhism, life is suffering? How have you suffered in life?
    It's our mental attitude towards life that causes us dukkha/ dissatisfaction/ conflict/suffering.

In the past I have suffered sometimes, because of my attitude towards different situations in my life. However, because of impermanence, things change ! :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think suffering is a bad word, because in regular English it means something else than what Buddhists mean with it. Suffering sounds like everything is depressing and life just sucks, but the pali word Dukkha means more than just ordinary suffering.

Every attachment in life causes Dukkha, causes "suffering", stands in the way of the ultimate happiness, the ultimate wisdom. Is goes so far that attachment to being alive, being conscious, is also Dukkha.

So have I suffered? Yes, but luckily not that much. I was always quite good in overcoming my problems in life.
    Have I experienced Dukkha? Yes, and I still do.

"To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too."
    http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/fourtruths.html

Sabre :vimp:
  • "samsaric (un-enlightened) life is suffering"
  • Anyone who has experienced chronic or severe illness has suffered, no matter how good an attitude they try to have.
  • Anybody who has lived and is not enlightened, by definition, has suffered. We all suffer in our own ways and to varying degrees at different times. Life is suffering.
  • It's the way we view suffering in the moment and reflect on it.....defines what it is!

Suffering is only bad if you let it be! Yesterday, my best friend was truely suffering but a loving hug from her spock man a bit of me being silly and the suffering didn't seem so bad :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    1. Life as a whole is not suffering. The way people manage their lives can bring suffering.
    2. Emotionally.
    Can you expand on how life is not as a whole suffering?
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    No, it is not true life is suffering. The Buddha taught attachment (upadana) is suffering.

For example, once I was fired from a job unfairly and my mind suffered. My mind suffered because it thought: "I did what was right, the boss did what was wrong, but I unjustly got fired. I loved that job, I did so much good, but I lost my job".

The suffering was due to attachment. Due to attaching with indignation to notions of "wrong", "right", "just", "unjust", "love", "goodness" and, most of all "my job".

When the mind decides to take possession or ownership of impermanent things or things given to it by others, it will inevitably suffer.

This is the suffering of attachment.

Best wishes

:)

• Apart from suffering, Buddha also talk about joy.eg sympathetic joy , rejoicing in other people's good tidings.
  • Mudita
    Sympathetic joy, altruistic joy, appreciative joy – it is the congratulatory attitude of a person.
    Its chief characteristic is happy acquiescence in others’ prosperity and success.
  • The awakened one, the Buddha, said:

Here, O, Monks, a disciple lets his mind pervade one quarter of the world with thoughts of unselfish joy, and so the second, and so the third, and so the fourth. And thus the whole wide world, above, below, around, everywhere and equally, he continues to pervade with a heart of unselfish joy, abundant, grown great, measureless, without hostility or ill-will.
  • Dear NomaD Buddha,

If life as a whole is suffering, it probably would make Buddhism a pessimistic religion.

Dear genkaku,
    Not everyone suffers a great tragedy like having a baby kidnapped.

Dear Roger,
    As we grow older, we probably get to be better in managing our life. Perhaps, not. Just don’t get sick thinking over the past. Just be amused.

Dear Dazzle,
    Suffering is nothing if there is impermanence! Thanks!

Dear Sabre,

There is not a better word for Dukkha then. Life with suffering should be perfect. Suffering is a good teacher and in the world of the Devas, where I suppose there is ‘perfection’, they can’t attain enlightenment like human do – or did I read wrongly?

Dear Vincenzi,
    I would believe that some unenlightened beings are just happy being unenlightened.

Dear Dakini,
    It’s not just heartache, a headache makes me suffer.

Dear Mountains,
    Do you suppose a boddhisatva suffer for wanting to help the people who suffer?

Dear Spock,
    If suffering reveals to you a friend, it is not suffering at all.

Dear LeonBasin,
    I suppose besides suffering, there is ‘non-suffering’.

Dear Dhamma Dhatu,
    Thanks! Life is not suffering! Attachement is!

Dear hermitwin,
    Life is mudita. Thanks!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I also think we focus too much on the word "suffering" and take it to be the main (if not only) interpretation of the word 'dukkha'.
    The word 'dukkha' has deep roots in 'the wonky cartwheel'... so life has also been compared to a bumpy ride, or an unsatisfactory transition.
    Has anyone had a bumpy ride?
    It might be easier to ask - who hasn't?

Then the responses would not be so forthcoming.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @footiam
    I said life as a whole is NOT suffering.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Is it true that according to Buddhism, life is suffering?
    No, I don't think that's true. Suffering is definitely part of life, but life isn't just suffering, e.g., see this and this.

• Dear federica,
    I thought in most Buddhist literature, suffering is emphasized. There is nothing said about a bumpy right. And it has also been said that Buddhism is a pessimistic religion.

Dear NomaD Buddha,
    It was me who said that IF – life as a whole is a suffering –

Dear Jason,
    Thanks for this and this.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I think in Buddhism dukkha/suffering is emphasized in relation to clinging and craving only.
    Buddhism points out that whatever it is that we cling to, or crave for, is not perfect.
    Even the life of a Brahma-god is not perfect because - after a really long time - it will end.

When we stop clinging and craving however, we attain freedom, and freedom is perfect. We can take it everywhere we go.
    When we attain freedom we are better off than a Brahma-god.
    Our freedom will last where the life of a Brahma-god will end.

That’s why gods bow to the Buddha.

I wouldn’t call this a pessimistic religion!
  • Anyone who has experienced chronic or severe illness has suffered, no matter how good an attitude they try to have.
    Agreed but when I was in that situation I was lead to buddhism, at times I forget this but it was my suffering which lead me to drastically transforming my life! I'm glad for that suffering as without it I never would have converted and I'm pretty sure I'd have a nervous breakdown by now without buddhism!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Dear federica,
    I thought in most Buddhist literature, suffering is emphasized.
    You think wrong. If you took a look at Jason's links you'll see ...
    There is nothing said about a bumpy right.
    I said bumpy 'RIDE'.
    The deep etymological root and origins of the word 'dukkha' come form the same word as that meaning "a wonky wheel" That's why I referred to Life being a 'bumpy ride'.

"Etymology

Sargeant, et. al. (2009: p.303) provides the etymology of the Sanskrit words sukha and duḥkha:
    "It is perhaps amusing to note the etymology of the words sukha (pleasure, comfort, bliss) and duḥkha (misery, unhappiness, pain). The ancient Aryans who brought the Sanskrit language to India were a nomadic, horse- and cattle-breeding people who travelled in horse- or ox-drawn vehicles. Su and dus are prefixes indicating good or bad. The word kha, in later Sanskrit meaning "sky," "ether," or "space," was originally the word for "hole," particularly an axle hole of one of the Aryan's vehicles. Thus sukha … meant, originally, "having a good axle hole," while duhkha meant "having a poor axle hole," leading to discomfort." Sargeant, Winthrop (author, translator) Smith, Huston (author) & Chapple, Christopher Key (Editor) (2009). The Bhagavad Gita. Excelsior Editions, Suny Series in Cultural Perspectives: SUNY Press. Edition: annotated. ISBN 1438428413, 9781438428413 Source: 1 (accessed: Tuesday February 23, 2010), p.303"

here

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The "wonky cartwheel" and the "bumpy ride" are wonderful metaphors for samsara - especially since the Sanskrit of the ancient Aryans for "dukkha" actually meant having a "poor axle hole" on an ox drawn cart.......
  • Unsatisfactoriness is a better translation than suffering IMO, but suffering is the more widely known/accepted translation. We can be happy and life will still be unsatisfactory; because we cling to that happiness, fear losing it.
  • The word "suffering" is sometimes translated as "uncertainty" or "doubt."
    is that genkaku from the old e-sangha days? :-)

• edited February 2011
    Thank You Dear Footiam. :)
  • edited February 2011
    I'm convinced about the serious suffering component as a certainly in everybody's life.

Me? Life is not suffering right now. I'm fine. That can change in an instant like when I use a crosswalk in the city.

Uh Oh! Now I'm suffering just _thinking_ about that! :D

Uh Uh Oh! Now I'm _visualizing_ it! AWWWGGGHHH! OUUUUCCCHHH! :eek:
  • edited February 2011
    oh dont start me of trying living in crappy odd weather london!! thats suffering just to look out the window in the morning!!

(plus I was channel hopping an ended up watching britney spears new damn video on every music channel - that was enough to make me :banghead: over and over again!!) sufferring is everywhere. Now Dukkha is something else!
  • I've caused suffering so I've suffered.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi All,

I have not experienced the Cessation of Suffering so if I am suffering I have nothing to compare it to. However, I have Faith that the Buddha knew what he was talking about because I have experienced, to a degree, a lessening of some flavours of suffering as a result of keeping precepts, meditating and trying to develop Wisdom.

But complete Cessation of Suffering? I cannot honestly say that I know there is such a thing, but if there is then it seems logical to imply that anything less than that is still suffering (however refined it may be).

May all beings be happy and free from suffering!

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Footiam,
    If life as a whole is suffering, it probably would make Buddhism a pessimistic religion.
    Not if there is the possibility of ending the causes which lead to future birth (i.e. delusion and craving) and thereby ending the causes which lead to suffering. But this, of course, requires a belief in (or knowledge of) rebirth.
    Suffering is nothing if there is impermanence!
    Impermanence means that everything dear and pleasing to us will one day be separated from us (i.e. a form of suffering). But on the other hand, thanks to impermanence, there is the possibility to escape Samsara.
    I would believe that some unenlightened beings are just happy being unenlightened.
    Indeed, there is a saying reflecting this: "What the Enlightened ones call suffering (e.g. sensuality) the unenlightened ones call happiness. What the unenlightened ones call suffering (e.g. renunciation) the Enlightened ones call happiness."

Metta,

Guy
  • Dear zenff,
    If we think pessimistically, we could call the religion pessimistic. Thanks!

Dear lightlotus,
    As it is, suffering should be viewed positively as it is a learning experience – I think.

And London shouldn’t be back. We over here, have to pay a lot of money just to be there.

Dear federica.
    I have checked out the link and have learned of mudita.

And pardon my spelling error. No ticking off?

And thanks too for the short lesson on Sanskrit. It goes to say that we can’t just translate something into English and take that as the correct or complete translation.

Dear Iron Rabbit,
    I can’t think of any other better metaphor.

Dear Cloud,
    Good idea, this word, unsatisfactoriness. All the old books should be recalled!

Dear rachMiel,
    Old could be gold.

Thany you you too, Dear Roger,
    I c u r amused.

Dear Supertramp,
    You have brought joy too, so rejoice!

Dear GuyC,
    I think Buddha said not to rely on faith.

And thanks for the saying about the enlightened ones.. I like it.
  • pessimism and optimism are both wrong when they are static. Thats what a mood disorder is like. And I am speaking from experience. When you are manic no matter how out of control you or your surroundings are you are ecstatic and when you are depressed you feel that everything is wrong.

Buddhism is not about a static view but it is about seeing views are impermanent and dependently arisen. So we don't have to be driven by our conceptions and instead have freedom to have a space of ending and beginning. A space of nothingness and pregnancy.
  • Hi Footiam,
    I think Buddha said not to rely on faith.
    Then why is it considered one of the "Five Spiritual Faculties" to be developed?

Metta,

Guy
  • I believe the faith here ("Five Spiritual Faculties" to be developed) refers to confidence or believe that one can achieve spiritual progress ,ultimately nirvana. eg. I have faith that I can pass the exam bcos I have stdudied very hard.
    It has a rather different meaning from a christian who has faith in his god.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Faith Sradda also means taking something into your being. It is balanced with Prajna which is an intelligent message. If you have too much faith you are practicing every day but you are not really looking at your experience in an alive questioning way. If you have to much prajna you are thinking/questioning a lot but it doesn't make much difference because it is not affecting you a transformation.. walking the talk.
  • There is no human and no animal that has ever lived that has not known suffering. The Buddha taught that everyone who has ever lived goes through the suffering of birth, old age, sickness, and death. Suffering is, however, not something to be avoided but rather a teaching. It teaches us that there is no refuge in samsara, in our ordinary way of looking at life in which we are attached to our delusional dualistic idea of "self" and "other". It is suffering that impels us to look for an end to suffering, a permanent end, and this is the path that the Buddha taught. Without suffering, there would be no path. Gods in the god realm do not practice Buddhism because they do not know suffering as a god. Humans are most fortunate because we both know suffering and have the capacity to do something about it.

Palzang
  • Now I'm curious: I'm familiar with the broader range of meanings usually attributed to "dukkha." What is the pali word corresponding to "life" in "life is suffering" and what is the etymology of that word?

• Dear Supertramp,
    You have brought joy too, so rejoice!
    With this, you too have brought joy, thanks. :)

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Now I'm curious: I'm familiar with the broader range of meanings usually attributed to "dukkha." What is the pali word corresponding to "life" in "life is suffering" and what is the etymology of that word?
    I think this is mostly likely referring to a misunderstanding of the Pali phrase, "Sabbe pi dukkham" (All is dukkha).

• Dear Jeffrey.
    I like that idea of not having a static view but I don’t know what Prajna means.

Dear GuyC,
    I really don’t know what this “Five Spiritual Faculties" refers to. In any case, hermitwin does give an idea about the faith you meant and the faith I meant. But do explain to me the “Five Spiritual Faculties”, won’t you?

Dear hermitwin,
    There are different types of faith then and aren’t all of them blind?

Dear Palzang,
    Did Buddha teach sufferings other than birth, old age, sickness, and death There ought to be other form of sufferings.

Dear fivebells,
    I wish I know Pali! Now, it seems most of the time, we emphasize Dukkha and forget about life. Yes, what is the Pali word for life?

Dear Supertramp,
    May you be well and happy! Always!

Dear Jason,
    Life is full of misunderstanding and I do misunderstand Buddhism most of the time. I have checked out your link and left a comment there.
  • footiam prajna means you are getting some kind of message. Like when you see light coming through your window you know its morning. Faith would be when you really embody and feel the rhythms of morning.

I'm not a teacher so I could be screwing it all up..

If you have a lot of questions into the dharma and ideas you have prajna. But without faith (sradda) you are not taking them to heart.
  • Thanks, Jason.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Footiam,
    Dear GuyC,
    I really don’t know what this “Five Spiritual Faculties" refers to. In any case, hermitwin does give an idea about the faith you meant and the faith I meant. But do explain to me the “Five Spiritual Faculties”, won’t you?
    I am happy to explain my understanding of the Five Spiritual Faculties, but please do not consider my understanding of them as definitive by any means.

They are: Saddha (Faith in the Triple Gem), Viriya (Energy/Vigor/Effort), Sati (Mindfulness), Samadhi (One-pointedness of mind) and Panna (Wisdom).

The faculties are supposed to be developed if we wish to be free from suffering. There is a kind of feedback loop which can occur when we develop these: Faith gives rise to Energy which in turn gives rise to Mindfulness -> Samadhi -> Wisdom. Unless wisdom is perfected, then our "partial wisdom" (for lack of a better phrase) can give rise to an increase of Faith in the Triple Gem.

The Five Spiritual Faculties are not meant as an alternative to the Noble Eightfold Path, they are meant to describe the mental qualities necessary for practicing the Noble Eightfold Path.

This is how I understand it, I may be wrong.

Metta,

Guy
  • Dear Jeffrey,
    Thanks for the explanation. This message is not the same type of message that some prophets receive from God, is it?

Dear GuyC,
    Thanks for the explanation. With so many foreign terms, learning Buddhism is becoming a form of suffering itself! And the faith that you talk of that give rise to energy – it could be negative energy for all we know.
  • Birth, old age, sickness and death were the sufferings that Siddhartha saw on his trips outside the palace walls that made him aware of suffering in general. You could think of them as representing the suffering that all humans experience. Of course, suffering takes on many forms. I don't think the Buddha saw much point in enumerating all of them. We're all too familiar with them anyway, aren't we? :)

Palzang
  • I would think so. Come to think about it, there is no reason for Buddha to discuss the sufferings incurred in the paper chase or rat race.
  • edited February 2011
    Birth, old age, sickness and death were the sufferings that Siddhartha saw on his trips outside the palace walls that made him aware of suffering in general. You could think of them as representing the suffering that all humans experience. Of course, suffering takes on many forms. I don't think the Buddha saw much point in enumerating all of them. We're all too familiar with them anyway, aren't we? :)
    Palzang
    Indeed very familiar as it was from past lives suffering until this life. It is so wonderful that buddhism revealed the truth that living beings are ignorantly the slave of its own body that resulted in conducting incorrectly towards one another because of not knowing that all is actually, themselves. We ought to live compassionately happy and to search for true self through meditation :p
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    No, it is not true life is suffering. The Buddha taught attachment (upadana) is suffering.

Didn't Buddha say that birth, ageing and death were also forms of suffering?

P
  • No, it is not true life is suffering. The Buddha taught attachment (upadana) is suffering.

Didn't Buddha say that birth, ageing and death were also forms of suffering?

P
    I'm not well instructed with what Buddha said or didn't say, but birth, ageing and death are only suffering if you're attached to your current state in life.