Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

cause and effect

edited April 2011 in Philosophy
greetings. :-)

buddhists talk a lot about cause and effect; karma is afaiu based on it.

but karma is a phenomenon of unenlightened beings still trapped in samsara (again, afaik).

so per buddhist understanding, is cause/effect ultimately just another samsaric illusion ... like self/other or any other form of duality?

Comments

• but karma is a phenomenon of unenlightened beings still trapped in samsara
    Hmm... When I see that said, I think "who say's these things, and does it necessarily make it true just because they said them"?
  • but karma is a phenomenon of unenlightened beings still trapped in samsara
    Very interesting thread topic. I think this statement is true, insofar as enlightened beings don't generate karma (or its fruits, if karma is defined as "volitional action"), or not negative karma, if any at all. Karma isn't an illusion, in that the effects do bear fruit for unenlightened beings. Is it a relative reality, like everything else? I'm not qualified to answer, but I think I've seen it argued here that it is. Let's see what others say.

We should define "karma". Are you defining it as volitional action, or as the fruits of that action? Sounds like the latter. Even enlightened beings engage in volitional action. So we need to clarify our terms.

• I saw a lecture where the Buddha's plan was to create no karma so that he could escape samsara. Based on the fact that your rebirth is based on karma, if you have no karma=no rebirth. Am I right on this ?
  • I'm not sure, Ric. Bodhisattvas can choose to be reborn even though they're Enlightened and therefore aren't generating "karma". Choice is involved. Perhaps for the Theravada crowd, you're right.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited April 2011
    You wont find the answer here.
    As far as I know, not a single member here
    is even close to enlightenment.

For an unenlightened answer, what will happen if I slap you?
  • i'd slap ya back. ;-)
  • edited April 2011
    > We should define "karma". Are you defining it as volitional action, or as the fruits of that action? Sounds like the latter.

yes: the latter. though i'm not trying to define karma; i don't presume to understand it well enough to attempt to do that. i'm just using it as an example of cause/effect in action. hopefully i know enough about it to have gotten that right; if not, someone who knows better please let me know! :-)
  • Just what I thought.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Karma as normally understood means what you do comes back to haunt you.
    cause n effect.
    But Buddhist 'scholars' on this forum insist that it means action.
    More importantly intention.
    So, do everything with good intention, and you will be ok.

Treat people n animals the way you would like to be treated.
    with kindness, generosity, blah....

But, thats not enough, you need to meditate.
  • thanks, hermitwin, for the clarification.
  • getting back to my original question:

what does the buddha say about cause and effect? that it is a "law" of the universe? or a phenomenon that emerges from the maya of the relative dualistic world? (implying that when maya is gone, so is cause/effect.)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    rachMiel,

I can appreciate the qualities you're wrestling with here. If karma is something that is only for the unenlightened, then how is it more than illusion? Is it more than duality? Different people give different answers to this, and it does largely depend on how you look at the term.

The way I was taught it, karma is simply the actual law of cause and effect. You plant a seed, you get a fruit. You plant a weed, you get a weed. You touch a hot stove, you burn your hand. This is not what is escaped, this is how nature works.

What we escape is suffering... or in other words our dissatisfaction, confusion, and mental agitation. What we do with karma is simply realize it's pattern. Fruit doesn't spontaneously generate. If there is no seed, there is no fruit. If we are eating a fruit, we planted a seed. There is an empowering continuum, as nature is not random. Or said differently, our minds are not random.

Buddha didn't stop karma, rather he had no more fruits of suffering. He stopped the habit of eating fruit, planting the seed, harvesting the fruit, eating the fruit on and on. When it is related he "stopped his cycle of karma", it doesn't really refer to the cycle itself. He stopped planting seeds of suffering, and so had no confusion or agitation.

Sometimes its referred to as the cumulative burden of all of those fruits, such as "we work through our karma"... though perhaps you can see why this can be misleading.

With warmth,

Matt
  • @aMatt That was always my understanding of it as well. I wonder if it's because many of the Zen books I read describe it in this manner.
  • Even enlightened beings don't escape effects of past karma. They merely don't make new karma and don't suffer mentally from the effects of past karma.

Quote:

And thus Ven. Angulimala became another one of the arahants.

Then Ven. Angulimala, early in the morning, having put on his robes and carrying his outer robe & bowl, went into Savatthi for alms. Now at that time a clod thrown by one person hit Ven. Angulimala on the body, a stone thrown by another person hit him on the body, and a potsherd thrown by still another person hit him on the body. So Ven. Angulimala — his head broken open and dripping with blood, his bowl broken, and his outer robe ripped to shreds — went to the Blessed One. The Blessed One saw him coming from afar and on seeing him said to him: "Bear with it, brahman! Bear with it! The fruit of the kamma that would have burned you in hell for many years, many hundreds of years, many thousands of years, you are now experiencing in the here-&-now!"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.086.than.html

Regards
  • edited April 2011
    Some interesting comments from Ajahn Sumedho of the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition........

"So is kamma something you have to believe in to be a Buddhist ? I've heard Buddhists say that to be a Buddhist you have to believe in the law of kamma and rebirth. But I've never felt that that was ever an expectation.

The thing that attracted me to Buddhism was that you didn't have to believe in anything. You didn't need to take positions. But these are terms that are used. So what is kamma now, rebirth now? Always bringing attention to the here and now rather than deciding whether you believe in the concepts or not. The concepts are just conditions, words."

(The Sound of Silence)

• The law of karma applies to Buddha.
    But Buddha is incapable of actions that result in
    negative karma.
  • > aMatt: I can appreciate the qualities you're wrestling with here. If karma is something that is only for the unenlightened, then how is it more than illusion? ... The way I was taught it, karma is simply the actual law of cause and effect. You plant a seed, you get a fruit. You plant a weed, you get a weed. You touch a hot stove, you burn your hand. This is not what is escaped, this is how nature works.

aMatt, i wasn't prompted by thoughts about karma when i started this thread. i just used karma as an example of buddhist cause/effect. the thing that did prompt me was trying to move one more step towards understanding Brahman (Absolute Truth).

per Sankara, Brahman is "Absolute Being divested of all qualities, attributes, limiting adjuncts." thus there is no space, time, duality, form, etc. at the level of Brahman. no cause/effect either.

what i'm trying to find out is what Buddha had to say on the subject.

• Enlightenment does not end cause and effect. See the fox koan.
  • "Cause and Effect

The Concept of Cause and Effect, or Causality, is a key concept in Theravada, and indeed, in Buddhism as a whole. This concept is expressed in several ways, including the Four Noble Truths, Panca-Niyāma Dhamma and most importantly, the Paticca-Samuppāda.

Abhidhamma in Theravada canon differentiate between a root cause (Hetu) and facilitating cause (pacca). By the combined interaction of both these, an effect is brought about. On top of this view, a logic is built and elaborated whose most supple form can be seen in the Paticca Samuppāda.

This concept is then used to question the nature of suffering and to elucidate the way out of suffering, as expressed in the Four Noble Truths. It is also employed in several suttas to refute several philosophies including creationism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theravada#Cause_and_Effect

I also found what appeared to be a Mahayana Sutra referred to as the "Sutra of Cause and Effect", but since the objective seems to be knowing what the Buddha said about cause and effect I stuck with Theravada.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Are you looking for something like this?
    Consciousness without feature,[1]
    without end,
    luminous all around:
    Here water, earth, fire, & wind
    have no footing.
    Here long & short
    coarse & fine
    fair & foul
    name & form
    are all brought to an end.
    With the cessation of [the activity of] consciousness
    each is here brought to an end.'"
    The [1] refers to the following note:
    Vinnanam anidassanam. This term is nowhere explained in the Canon, although MN 49 mentions that it "does not partake in the allness of the All" -- the "All" meaning the six internal and six external sense media (see SN 35.23). In this it differs from the consciousness factor in dependent co-arising, which is defined in terms of the six sense media. Lying outside of time and space, it would also not come under the consciousness-aggregate, which covers all consciousness near and far; past, present, and future. However, the fact that it is outside of time and space -- in a dimension where there is no here, there, or in between (Ud 1.10), no coming, no going, or staying (Ud 8.1) -- means that it cannot be described as permanent or omnipresent, terms that have meaning only within space and time. The standard description of nibbana after death is, "All that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here." (See MN 140 and Iti 44.) Again, as "all" is defined as the sense media, this raises the question as to whether consciousness without feature is not covered by this "all." However, AN 4.174 warns that any speculation as to whether anything does or doesn't remain after the remainderless stopping of the six sense media is to "objectify non-objectification," which gets in the way of attaining the non-objectified. Thus this is a question that is best put aside.
    This is from the translation of DN 11 at www.accesstoinsight.org.
  • great responses, everyone, each one a valuable insight.

as i was reading through them i realized that what i'm actually doing here is inquiring into the nature of Absolute Truth (Brahman), and that this is not the same as inquiring into the nature of human enlightenment. please correct me if i'm wrong, but (living) enlightened human beings still have "one foot in the relative world": have to breathe, eat, defecate, and when they get slapped in the face it hurts.
  • http://www.buddhism-connect.org/sanghaspace-members/
    Buddhism Connect emails are sent out by the Shrimala Trust, a registered charity (UK no. 1078783), supporting the activity of the Awakened Heart Sangha. All subscriber information is kept confidential and never sold.

I will divulge that I was the student in question!

A student asks:

"When I think of a good feeling when my heart is really alive I wonder how this could be."

Lama Shenpen:

Yes! That is what we should really be wondering about.

Why should that be indeed? There is such deep significance in this fact.

Student:

"I have read numerous times that any good feeling I am having now is because of virtuous actions in the past. But is this true?

It seems like it should also be something to do with opening into space. That when I truly open into space and let my heart be unblocked it is only natural that the spontaneous heart nature is quite wonderful."

Lama Shenpen:

You are right. So why is it said that happiness is the result of positive karmic actions?

It is important to think about why that might be. I think the answer is that the happiness is actually non-conceptual intuitive awareness, unborn and unceasing.

The teaching about karma belongs to samvrtisatya - it is apparently true - it is how things appear to work - like the sun seems to rise in the east. Actually it is stationary and the earth is moving.

Student:

"I mean even if I felt fear or confusion or something, if I were letting go and not conceptualizing on top of that it would have the alive quality 'that certain something' (elusive)."

Lama Shenpen:

Yes - though you could think of the letting go as a volition and so a karmic action with an immediate effect couldn't you?

This is both apparently true and maybe also simply the way the uncontrived mind is � its ultimate truth in a way - although ultimately there is nothing letting go of anything and so letting go doesn't mean anything.

But then, of course, intuitively it does. It transforms the whole world.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Brahman is incompatible with buddhism. There is no ultimate reality in buddhism. There is karma, no doer. There is process, activities, no subject, agent, perceiver.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure what you are refering to as brahman. It's traditional to teach that there is ultimate reality in buddhism :) I suggest more research.

As far as I know lama shenpen is a buddhist. She is of the Karma Kagyu lineage.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Karma is only one element of cause and effect.

When that element is removed, rebirth ceases and general merriment ensues.

Namaste
  • edited April 2011
    > Brahman is incompatible with buddhism.

perhaps in terms of formal dogma; i wouldn't know. but when my Tibetan teacher speaks of rigpa (pure primordial awareness = emptiness) it sure sounds like Brahman to me.

> I suggest more research.

perhaps ... though i'm quite content to rest in un-knowing.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    rach, nah I was responding to xabir's comment that there is no ultimate truth taught in buddhism. That was the suggest more research comment.

I should remember to put name tags with my comments.
  • aha! but your comment also fits me quite well. i often ask questions, sometimes difficult/complex ones, without doing research beforehand that might have made the asking unnecessary. the reason: i love to learn from living breathing humans, especially when it comes to the realm of the spirit.
  • I agree its fun to learn from people. But if someone said its a seven fold path I'm not going to argue with them!
  • Some interesting comments from Ajahn Sumedho of the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition........

"So is kamma something you have to believe in to be a Buddhist ? I've heard Buddhists say that to be a Buddhist you have to believe in the law of kamma and rebirth. But I've never felt that that was ever an expectation.

The thing that attracted me to Buddhism was that you didn't have to believe in anything. You didn't need to take positions. But these are terms that are used. So what is kamma now, rebirth now? Always bringing attention to the here and now rather than deciding whether you believe in the concepts or not. The concepts are just conditions, words."

(The Sound of Silence)

Strange thing about Buddhism is that when you get beyond personal stories, all this talk about karma becomes irrelevant. There is just this awareness and objects (thoughts, feelings, sights, sounds etc ) appearing and disappearing in the consciousness.

:)
  • I agree its fun to learn from people. But if someone said its a seven fold path I'm not going to argue with them!
    you're far more trusting than i am ... ;-)
  • Oh I wouldn't trust what they say I just wouldn't argue or explain something that is readily available...

I don't know about therevadan buddhism but a pretty basic teaching on the nature of reality in Tibetan buddhism is 'the two truths' with ultimate reality as one. See I didn't explain that I just said further research. I probably should have given a link now that I look back on it. Well if they want a link I'll dig one up. :)
  • edited April 2011
    Some interesting comments from Ajahn Sumedho of the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition........

(The Sound of Silence)

Strange thing about Buddhism is that when you get beyond personal stories, all this talk about karma becomes irrelevant. There is just this awareness and objects (thoughts, feelings, sights, sounds etc ) appearing and disappearing in the consciousness.

Indeed. Letting go of 'person' and 'views' reveals pure awareness and clarity here and now, which is beyond karma and 'this' and 'that'.
  • edited April 2011
    Oh I wouldn't trust what they say I just wouldn't argue or explain something that is readily available...
    i still like to hear it from the person directly, provided they know it (and don't have to go look it up themselves). not because i'm lazy or unwilling to do the work. (not guilty on both counts!) but because i see knowledge/facts as personal takes, and i enjoy seeing/feeling the personal nature of them. rachMiel's facts (what i consider to be true/real), Jeffrey's facts, perhaps even Buddha's facts (jury's still out on that one!) = rachMiel's takes, Jeffrey's takes, Buddha's takes. doesn't mean that some takes are not as close as one can get to Truth as takes can ever get. but, again, i like to feel the unique ephemeral individual selves behind the takes. and that's why i sometimes drill away at questions that are either quite simple or easy to research.
    I don't know about therevadan buddhism but a pretty basic teaching on the nature of reality in Tibetan buddhism is 'the two truths' with ultimate reality as one.
    yes! Nyingma, which is the tradition in which my teacher grew up, is very into the two truths, one of which (The Absolute) is pretty much synonymous (afaict) with Advaita's Brahman.

by the way, what is Brahman?

(ha! jus' kiddin' ... that one i already know! though it would be kinda fun to get some different personal takes on it.)

• xabirxabir Veteran
    rach, nah I was responding to xabir's comment that there is no ultimate truth taught in buddhism. That was the suggest more research comment.

I should remember to put name tags with my comments.
    There is no ultimate reality in Buddhism. There is an ultimate truth in Buddhism, which is emptiness beyond the four extremes. Emptiness here does not denote a metaphysical substance, absolute, or a substratum in which all phenomena comes from, like that of the non-Buddhist Brahman. Emptiness is the truth of how all things and selves lack independent, permanent, self-existence as they dependently originate.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Oh I wouldn't trust what they say I just wouldn't argue or explain something that is readily available...
    i still like to hear it from the person directly, provided they know it (and don't have to go look it up themselves). not because i'm lazy or unwilling to do the work. (not guilty on both counts!) but because i see knowledge/facts as personal takes, and i enjoy seeing/feeling the personal nature of them. rachMiel's facts (what i consider to be true/real), Jeffrey's facts, perhaps even Buddha's facts (jury's still out on that one!) = rachMiel's takes, Jeffrey's takes, Buddha's takes. doesn't mean that some takes are not as close as one can get to Truth as takes can ever get. but, again, i like to feel the unique ephemeral individual selves behind the takes. and that's why i sometimes drill away at questions that are either quite simple or easy to research.
    I don't know about therevadan buddhism but a pretty basic teaching on the nature of reality in Tibetan buddhism is 'the two truths' with ultimate reality as one.
    yes! Nyingma, which is the tradition in which my teacher grew up, is very into the two truths, one of which (The Absolute) is pretty much synonymous (afaict) with Advaita's Brahman.

(ha! jus' kiddin' ... that one i already know! though it would be kinda fun to get some different personal takes on it.)

No rach, the ultimate truth taught in nyingma is the emptiness freed of the four extremes, which does not admit any kind of an absolute existence or brahman. I suggest you read this article carefully which explai
  • xabirxabir Veteran

No rach, the ultimate truth taught in nyingma is the emptiness freed of the four extremes, which does not admit any kind of an absolute existence or brahman. I suggest you read this article carefully which explains the fundamental differencein view and paradigm. http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/search/label/Acharya Mahayogi Shridhar Rana Rinpoche
  • thanks for the link to the article, xabir. :-)
  • edited April 2011
    this quote -- from an article in the Western Buddhist Review (http://www.westernbuddhistreview.com/vol1/conditionality.html) -- fits quite nicely into this discussion:

"The goal of the Buddhist spiritual life is not the merging of oneself with an unchanging, all-embracing, Unconditioned Absolute -- however that may be characterised. The goal of the Buddhist spiritual life is rather the insight into the true nature of the Conditioned itself. To borrow an expression from Krishnamurti: 'The unconditional acceptance of the Conditioned is the Unconditioned.'"

truth be told, i'm far more attracted to merging with The Absolute than to understanding the nature of conditioning. yet i can see the danger of pursuing the former without being grounded in the latter: one can end up living in a fairy tale. (which is what all of us do, isn't it? only some work to remain aware of their fairy tales while others just embrace them.)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    About right view:

"And how is a person of integrity a person of integrity in the views he holds? There is the case where a person of integrity is one who holds a view like this: 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is how a person of integrity is a person of integrity in the views he holds."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.110.than.html

Of course this also is true for enlightened persons. They picked the fruits of their good actions.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Of course this also is true for enlightened persons. They picked the fruits of their good actions.
    No, the quote you gave described "polluted right view." Right view for "enlightened persons" (not a good choice of words) is "the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path."
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2011
    this quote -- from an article in the Western Buddhist Review (http://www.westernbuddhistreview.com/vol1/conditionality.html) -- fits quite nicely into this discussion:

"The goal of the Buddhist spiritual life is not the merging of oneself with an unchanging, all-embracing, Unconditioned Absolute -- however that may be characterised. The goal of the Buddhist spiritual life is rather the insight into the true nature of the Conditioned itself. To borrow an expression from Krishnamurti: 'The unconditional acceptance of the Conditioned is the Unconditioned.'"

truth be told, i'm far more attracted to merging with The Absolute than to understanding the nature of conditioning. yet i can see the danger of pursuing the former without being grounded in the latter: one can end up living in a fairy tale. (which is what all of us do, isn't it? only some work to remain aware of their fairy tales while others just embrace them.)
    you can start with self inquiry which leads to the advaita realization of atman-brahman then afterwards you contemplate on anatta such as the bahiya sutta and then insight into anatta arises so you no longer cling to an absolute, self or agent. This is the path followed by me and Thusness which I documented in my ebook/ejournal: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-e-booke-journal.html

It is important to first realize the luminosity of mind otherwise the understanding of emptiness remains theoretical. That is why even the advaita sort of realization is quite impt. But to realize luminosity is not the same as realizing emptiness and most get stuck on perceiving an eternalistic Self
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    You wont find the answer here.
    As far as I know, not a single member here
    is even close to enlightenment.
    Hi @hermitwin ,

Its all well and good to have humility with respect to ones self, but if you are putting others down, even if it is true, does this not seem contrary to the dharma to you?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Very true.. And best not to make assumptions as enlightenment is far more common than most people think. I've seen a couple of stream enterers and once returners post their experience here
  • What is the difference between a stream enterer and a once-returner?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    My definition of the four paths is different from for example daniel ingram's. I am following the fetter model taught by Buddha.

Daniel has admitted that his definition of fourth path is equivalent to sotapanna by the fetter model.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi fivebells,
    No, the quote you gave described "polluted right view." Right view for "enlightened persons" (not a good choice of words) is "the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path."
    Maybe my quoted sutta is about unenlighted persons indeed, but it doesn't really cange the point because "polluted" right view is still a kind of right view. It doesn't mean it is totally wrong. The difference between these two is 'worldly' understanding and true understanding by direct insight:

"I tell you, o monks, there are 2 kinds of right view: the understanding that it is good to give alms and offerings, that both good and evil actions will bear fruit and will be followed by results.... This, o monks, is a view which, though still subject to the cankers, is meritorious, yields worldly fruits, and brings good results. But whatever there is of wisdom, of penetration, of right view conjoined with the path - the holy path being pursued, this is called the supermundane right view (lokuttara-sammā-ditthi), which is not of the world, but which is supermundane and conjoined with the path."
    http://www.palikanon.com/english/wtb/g_m/magga.htm
    But the supermundane right view still includes kamma, because wrong view is (comming from the sutta you quoted):
    And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.
    Of course, one can't have supermundane wrong view. ;)

With metta,
    Sabre

• xabirxabir Veteran
    Even the Buddha experienced various karmic effects throughout his enlightened life even though he no longer creates new karma
  • Daniel has admitted that his definition of fourth path is equivalent to sotapanna by the fetter model.
    Sounds interesting. Is his admission online?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Of course, one can't have supermundane wrong view.
    True, but to not attach to a view is not the same holding the opposite of that view.