Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you think that time is a concept in the mind ?

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
Do you think that time is merely concept in the mind , and there is just this ever-changing moment to moment?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There is change; that's what our experiences are. Time isn't itself a real thing, but is an abstractly-measured "amount" of change that has taken place. There's really no present moment, because it's already gone; there's only the steady stream of change that never stands still to "be" anything definable. It's ineffable. So change does happen, but time is a measure of the mind's perception and clinging of this change. It helps for some things, hinders for others.

Our problem is clinging to how things were, or wanting control over that change to have things be a certain way. The problem with the first is that however things were is already gone... the problem with the second is that we don't really have that much control, and even if we did get things how we want them, they'd change again. There's nothing to grasp. Our thirst/tanha/craving drives us on and on against this natural feature of life (change), because we're ignorant; we don't fully perceive that nothing can be grasped. That in fact because of the incessant change there are no "things" to grasp, there is no self-essence but rather interdependency.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    time is very real, how we perceive it may be "colored" by the mind... but time is still real.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    What is time though? It's a measurement. Measurements are amounts of something real, and are not themselves real phenomena. Instead they are abstractions for whatever purposes we put them to. Show time to exist independently as its own thing, rather than being a measurement of change, and I'd agree that time exists outside of mental connivance. ;)

It's like saying that distance is a real thing... distance isn't a real thing, it's a measurement and has no substance whatsoever. Or velocity; velocity is a relative measurement that uses other measurements like time and distance.

The only thing we're pointing to in any way is "change", whether it's something natural for us to notice (like night and day, seasons and years) or a break-down of that into hours and seconds just so we have smaller units to work with and measure things with.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    I see time as space, the measurement of time is appart. Since there's change, time exists.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Time is a conversational, lifestyle convenience. It's very handy when you don't want to be late for the history exam or when you want to meet a friend at the movie house or you want to make sure everyone attacks at the same time or you want to describe when something happened ... but after that? ... what more do you need?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Boy, tough question. The notion of what time is exactly isn't something that I've been able to sort out. I will say that its because of conciousness that there is a seeming order to time. What is the past, present, or future without a mind that remembers and predicts. If ever there was something that can only be made sense of in an interdependent way, it seems like it would be time and maybe space.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Change is one aspect relative to another. But since all aspects are composed of relations they don't have any value in and of themselves. Therefore there is really nothing solid to measure 'change' although change appears. Having no reference point, center of the universe, or solid entities thus time is only relational and appearance.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    That's why time is an abstract measurement of change, rather than a direct measurement.
  • Do you think that time is merely concept in the mind , and there is just this ever-changing moment to moment?
    Time is real in a number of senses:

It is real in all universes that have change.
    It is real in this universe as part of the underlying structure of the universe (spacetime)
    It is real as something sentient beings experience as they interact with the universe in the above two senses.

I guess the crucial gem that dharma offers outside of the above is that in terms of the quality of human experience it is only the NOW that is real and important.

:)

• santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    In my opinion, time is a convention and concept of mind that exists once there is cognition and coherence. We come to perceive it once realize that there is a way to measure it. People who have not realized this have no grasp of time such as incoherent people, and younger children with an undeveloped mind. There is also a greater concept of it that exists that is beyond our existence once we realize what it is.
    edited May 2011
    People who have not realized this have no grasp of time such as incoherent people
    I tried acid a few times in my youth. One of those times time really seemed to jump around and not flow in the normal sense. So I guess thats one personal example of how conciousness interprets or doesn't interpret events in a linear way.
  • Hi,
    There is change; that's what our experiences are. Time isn't itself a real thing, but is an abstractly-measured "amount" of change that has taken place.
    True, time is just a useful tool that people invented for a particular function. Other than that it is better to just lay it aside and just be. However, many of us are trapped by the notion of time that we created.

There's really no present moment, because it's already gone; there's only the steady stream of change that never stands still to "be" anything definable.
    Even the awareness that we perceive the present with continuously rise and fall. It is not something solid and concrete . The present moment itself changes every moment, just like the water in the stream.

Our problem is clinging to how things were, or wanting control over that change to have things be a certain way. The problem with the first is that however things were is already gone... the problem with the second is that we don't really have that much control, and even if we did get things how we want them, they'd change again. There's nothing to grasp. Our thirst/tanha/craving drives us on and on against this natural feature of life (change), because we're ignorant; we don't fully perceive that nothing can be grasped.
    Grasping and craving creates agitation in the mind and make it become obsessed with the future and difficult to let go of the past. It is what perpetuate the vague feeling that something is missing, or dissatisfaction.

That in fact because of the incessant change there are no "things" to grasp, there is no self-essence but rather interdependency.
    It is simply a process in nature flowing on. Grasping creates restlessness .

With Metta,

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Do you think that time is merely concept in the mind , and there is just this ever-changing moment to moment?
    Time is the limit of all beings which live in 3D. Well, time can be a concept of our mind. For example, our dreams : what seems like ten hours of dream, in reality those are just the last five minutes of your eight our sleep.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Everything is a "concept". When concepts end, "things" end. But the "non-conceptual" is not necessarily true. This is why the Buddha taught non-attachment, to neither attach to "time" or "non-time".

Regards
  • Do you think that time is merely concept in the mind , and there is just this ever-changing moment to moment?
    I think time IS a concept, but it's based on a reality of change.

Spiny
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Samadhi Raja Sutra

Know all things to be like this:
    A mirage, a cloud castle,
    A dream, an apparition,
    Without essence, but with qualities that can be seen.

As the moon in a bright sky
    In some clear lake reflected,
    Though to that lake the moon has never moved.

As an echo that derives
    From music, sounds, and weeping,
    Yet in that echo is no melody.

As a magician makes illusions
    Of horses, oxen, carts and other things,
    Nothing is as it appears.
    The Buddha
  • That's why time is an abstract measurement of change, rather than a direct measurement.
    But our systems of measuring time are based on natural phenomena like the solar and lunar cycles, which seem quite "direct".

Spiny
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    But what do they have to do with everything else, the rest of the universe? I'm sure a solar year is different in another galaxy, so why is a year a year? It's abstract, arbitrary. There's no actual "thing" called time that exists, it's just an arbitrary amount of change that has occurred that we more than not identify with our particular observable cycles. These are not the same cycles everywhere... not the same years, not the same seasons, not the same days, and so everything is relative. It's useful to us in ways, and change itself does occur uniformly throughout the universe (as far as we can tell), but time is an invention.

We don't directly measure time. Look up how they know a second to be a second... there's nothing direct to measure, which is why I said it's an abstract measurement. We measure something else, completely unrelated, just to give us a "fixed" measurement so we all "agree" that a second is just-so long. We could easily change how long a second is, and rework our maths. Why isn't 2 seconds 1 second? There's no way to tell, because it's a man-made system that does not measure anything real. :)

We define a second thus (from here): "The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom." ... So it's a measurement of change, but how much change is completely defined by us (what we choose to measure). We could just as easily say that it's a different number of periods of that radiation, either more or less, it's something we've arbitrarily agreed upon.
  • @Cloud, very interesting.

Ok so time is just a concept. I think we can say the same thing about "Silence" too right? Can there ever be complete total silence throughout entire existence?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Time's just a concept, but it indirectly points to change that is happening all of the time in the universe, and that change itself is what's being factored in as a variable in our maths so that they do out (not some actual thing called time), because there is a relation. It's just not a direct relation. If we said a minute was 59 seconds, we'd have to change our formulas so they'd work out, but they'd still work. The numbers themselves have no real meaning.

I don't understand total silence? Sound and silence are like light and dark, one implies the other. Can the universe ever be entirely dark, or entirely light? It's possible I suppose, but things are always changing (and light has a source, so all the light sources would either be extinguished or be the only thing in existence).
    @Cloud, very interesting.

Ok so time is just a concept. I think we can say the same thing about "Silence" too right? Can there ever be complete total silence throughout entire existence?
    Silence is ultimatly a concept too. What is silence except the absence of sound? And what is sound but a break from silence?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I agree, it's really light and no-light (or varying degrees of light... so it's all one thing) and sound and no-sound. These words don't do the phenomena justice, because no-sound is also in a way describing the state of the waves that sound refer to. They're both ends of the stick, but when you pick up that stick does only one end get picked up? It's just like Samsara and Nirvana, two ends of the stick. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Light and darkness themselves are amazing. Isn't it amazing our experience? Perhaps samsara is to try to pin down light and darkness and nirvana is to delight in them?
  • We could just as easily say that it's a different number of periods of that radiation, either more or less, it's something we've arbitrarily agreed upon.
    It isn't just arbitrary though. It does tie in with the natural cycles we observe.

Spiny
  • If we said a minute was 59 seconds, we'd have to change our formulas so they'd work out, but they'd still work. The numbers themselves have no real meaning.
    I disagree, the numbers are important because their calcuation ties in with the observable natural cycles. And maths can accurately describe and predict the natural world.

Spiny
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A minute is a convention. If we said a minute was 59 seconds reality could still be worked with via mathematics. For example then there would be 295 seconds in 5 minutes. It would take a different number of seconds to get from Detroit to Chicago traveling at 1 mile per minute.
  • A Sutra tells us -

"The mind of the past is unknowable, the mind of the future is unknowable, the mind of the present is unknowable."

Mind can not be found. Only reflections(past), experiences(present), and imagination(future). Always occurring in the only place that really exists. The ever changing eternal present moment. It can never be grasped as that would be a reflection. It can only be experienced as it occurs. Another way of saying this is that the Universe lives though us moment by moment.

The reality of the unknowable past is completed and gone. Mental manipulation is an illusion leading to delusion and attachment. Yet not irrelevant, as past karmic echos are brought forward into current perceptions and actions.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Everything seems to be apprehended by the mind....:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited June 2011
    We could just as easily say that it's a different number of periods of that radiation, either more or less, it's something we've arbitrarily agreed upon.
    It isn't just arbitrary though. It does tie in with the natural cycles we observe.
    Spiny
    I don't know how else to explain it. There is simply no direct correlation between time and natural cycles (except we say one time around the sun is a year, but that's not even the same for other planets in our own system!...same with day/night). There's only a direct correlation between how long we agree a second is and "The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom."... that they're equal, because we use the one to define the other. We could've picked any atom, any number of periods, why this one? This isn't the fundamental core atom of the universe or anything... it's arbitrary. There are so many different atoms and combinations and other things we could've used; the reason is that we said a second is so long (to fit so many into an hour, so many into a day) and then looked for something that takes just that long... to keep track and agree.

And so we come back to time being an abstract measurement of change, directly observing the change in a cessium atom as a method to stabilize the length of a second, which is part of a system we created based on our natural cycles (years split into months, months into days, days into hours, hours into minutes, minutes into seconds). Take the same system and apply it to another galaxy, and their "second" couldn't be the same length so they'd have to use something else to measure it by. Remember the second didn't come first, years and seasons existed long before and it was only in breaking down our "year" into smaller units that we got down to a second and needed to be able to say how long it was consistently...

We could say a second was as long as it takes to open and close someone's eyelid, take a short video of that so we'd always be able to see how long it was, and go from there. It wouldn't be any different, though we might shorten the second and have more of them in an hour, day, month and year. ;) And our math formulas might need tweaked, but otherwise we can pick any numbers we want because we're not directly measuring the change, we're assigning value to an unknowable amount of change that happens during that cessium atom's decay.

To sum up, we created this whole system of time, we just needed a way to keep track of it, for all of mankind to be able to agree on how long a second was for all of our technical maths, so we chose (arbitrarily because it happened to match what we thought a second should be) the decay of a cessium atom. We do the same thing with weights, like the kilogram... we have actual pieces of metal sealed up in vaults (5 of them) that define how much a kilogram weighs, and pounds are derived in a formula from kilograms. An amount of change does happen throughout the universe no matter what numbers we have, so any numbers we choose will still work out whether they match something in nature or not (like the cessium atom).

I think I'm about exhausted on this one. If it's still unclear then there's just nothing more I can say. Change happens; time is just an arbitrary system that must necessarily link-in with this change (no matter how "long" the "time" duration is) because the change is universal, everywhere at once (which means nothing can be self, nothing can be permanent, this change is the reason for everything else we must learn in Buddhism!).
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    As a magician makes illusions
    Of horses, oxen, carts and other things,
    Nothing is as it appears.
    -The Buddha
    Thanks, Jeffery for posting the Samadhi Raja Sutra. It is observable truth.
    Get close enough to dying and you too will observe that this world indeed does appear to be illusion where nothing is as it appears.
    Yes, exactly as Cloud says, change happens.. and time is a concept the mind uses to record change....
    but when you get too close to dying it is as though time (or at least the mind's concept of time/spacetime) entirely collapses, such that what you observe is that all change and time and distance exists right here and now all simultaneously as layers/dimensions of a timeless time and a distanceless space. Focus on any of it and your consciousness is instantly "there," but all of "there" is only just a particular layer of a much greater "here and now" than is observable in our 4 dimensional world of the living. At least that is what I experienced and observed. Dying is a very strange phenomenon indeed.
    I asked an operating room full of hospital staff who hadn't touched me at all how long I had been gone, how long I had been out of my body, how long I had been dead.
    It had seemed like an eternity out there, but back here they said it wasn't hardly any time at all and attended to sewing my torn body back together. They also arranged to meet one another at the pub across from the hospital, take the rest of the day off, and discuss my "unusual case" they had just witnessed.

My observations were that what we normally observe as the "here and now" of our world (solar system, galaxy, universe) is just one particular layer among the many overlaid layers of a very much greater "here and now" cosmos than we the living observe in normal daily life.

• Remember the second didn't come first, years and seasons existed long before and it was only in breaking down our "year" into smaller units that we got down to a second and needed to be able to say how long it was consistently...
    I agree that what IS arbitrary is the units we've chosen to break down and measure time. We could have chosen to have 40 "hours" in day for example. But my point remains that a year and a day are periods of time defined by natural cycles, so they were a sensible starting point in developing clock-time.

Spiny

I suspect the experience of time passing is actually quite illusory.

Spiny
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I agree @SpinyNorman. Very sensible and very helpful, just like seasons. However they decided to break down a day into hours, minutes and seconds I don't know... probably the same way they broke down Pepsi into 20 oz. bottles... convenience. ;)

It's just when we go further and say that this "time" thing is actually an independent phenomena, rather than simply an abstract measurement of an unmeasurable "amount of change", that we have problems. There is change, it can be pointed to and demonstrated, and it's the answer to the question "what is time?". Time and change both refer to the same thing, even when we don't know it; our usual notion of time as an independent phenomena is baseless.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I don't know how else to explain it. There is simply no direct correlation between time and natural cycles (except we say one time around the sun is a year, but that's not even the same for other planets in our own system!...same with day/night)..........
    I think I'm about exhausted on this one. If it's still unclear then there's just nothing more I can say. Change happens; time is just an arbitrary system that must necessarily link-in with this change (no matter how "long" the "time" duration is) because the change is universal, everywhere at once (which means nothing can be self, nothing can be permanent, this change is the reason for everything else we must learn in Buddhism!).
    Well said @Cloud!!!! :bowdown:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @cloud i like the word baseless. when i read baseless i jumped up and down and clapped.
  • Time and change both refer to the same thing, even when we don't know it; our usual notion of time as an independent phenomena is baseless.
    What interests me is the way we experience time. I find that often there is a sense of being an observer, but it doesn't seem to accord with reality because we're IN time, not apart from it. So we're part of the perpetual change, not somehow separate. I think that's why a sense of timelessness is a signal that we're experiencing reality in a more direct way.

Spiny
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Very interesting story aura. It inspires me to practice in my here and now. That there is something aside from this sort of routine filling your face world.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    'Wild and unwild' categories are fabricated collectively in this world. In a dream 'wild and unwild' are changed from waking collective reality. For example a totally bizarre thing can happen but in a dream it is regarded as normal. By limiting ourselves to social collective fabrication we narrow the field of vision considerably.
  • The question is asked whether the convention of time has influenced our decision making or has decision making influenced time? Some of the choices we make are definitely made in a hurry because of time, and we can see that there are influences involved to the choices we make in life. We can see clearly that time is affecting us and how we adapt to time. Are we adapting to time or is time adapting to us? Is it getting better or worse, or the same? Is possible for the world to operate without time or is it something that is beyond our grasp and exists with or without us?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    My post was in the wrong thread :o
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Anyone want to share their thoughts on that?
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Very interesting story aura. It inspires me to practice in my here and now. That there is something aside from this sort of routine filling your face world.
    It seems like such a simple practice, to focus on one's breath and let go of one's thoughts...
    Who would have thought that such a simple practice could ever be so powerful as to enable one to live or die peacefully and consciously through horrific traumatic physical pain? I would not have thought that such a simple thing could ever be so powerful...
    but a young nurse trying to clear away some of the blood emotionally lost control and was excitedly waving her hands in my face asking "Why isn't she screaming? Why isn't she going into shock? She hasn't even had any anesthesia! What's she staring at?" and another nurse threatened to slap that nurse if she didn't "shut the hell up."

It is a simple practice, to focus on the breath. I had been doing it to detach from the horrific burning pain of my body torn apart because there was nothing else I could do. I had been practicing for quite some time, but eventually there was just no more breath to follow at all. There was also no more need for breath, no more desire for breath at all, and I was staring past her waving hand in my face and seeing through her and beyond her.

When people think of the "emptiness" they think of the dark desolate vacuum of space...
    but truly empty of breath, empty of body, empty of self,
    the universe is observably full of light and life like you wouldn't even hardly believe, and all of what we ordinarily see as empty darkness is full of light.

The only every day experience I can think of that is at all like the experience of dying without actually dying would be sitting in a dark theatre with your entire world strictly limited to the scene on the stage lit up by the spotlight, but then suddenly all the houselights go on and you are startled to see suddenly hundreds of people and everything else all around you in the auditorium that was really there in the dark all around you all along....
    but you had never seen them before, because all you had seen up until that point was just that tiny scene on the stage lit by the spotlight.
    Our familiar mundane world just wasn't solid at all... from the point of view of not being attached to my body and spending all my time breathing anymore, and being able to see through it and walk through it without my body, our ordinary mundane world looked something like a spotlit theatrical stage set in an ongoing far greater reality than we ordinarily ever notice.
    I asked a dead man out there why the living do not ordinarily observe the dead. He shrugged and said that the living generally have far too much fear and far too much desire to observe much of anything at all.

Practice is far more powerful than people realize; it certainly was far more powerful than I ever realized! I'm as fearful, desirous, healthy, alive and living, as likely to complain over a paper cut, and completely oblivious as anybody else on the block...
    but at one point in my life I lay motionless in a pool of my own blood focusing on watching my breath...
    and practice enabled me to remain conscious and calm, to endure with no anesthesia at all, and to observe all of what transpired, including the eventual physical detachment(ahh!) and the physical reattachment(argh!) of body and breath.
    Practice is a very useful thing indeed.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Aura the thing is that one may have dreams such as that too. Not to put out your fire but just gives pause. And possibly helps to remember it is an experience. Spacious. And not. It.
  • I think all of you are forgetting that time is more mysterious than a simple man made concept. Time is related to space. A person who moves close to the speed of light and comes back will be younger than his twin brother.

So time is a very real concept...
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    It's only as real as the other concepts you selected. space, light, younger, brother.
    these are just conceptual projections from our minds. if you cut away all concepts what are you left with?

the non-dual reality. all ideas are baseless in that they are mere abstract projections onto an undivided reality.
  • auraaura Veteran
    My personal experience is that the practice of mindfully focusing on following one's breath helped me to survive physical trauma considered by the medical profession to be not normally survivable at all, and especially not survivable at all with no anesthesia. The medical staff kept going out into the hallway and collecting more medical staff to come see, and so it was witnessed by 7 physicians who basically just stood around watching. It was supposedly written up in some medical journal as an unusual case.
    Shrug.
    My personal experience is that the Buddha was right.
    My personal experience is that practice is far more powerful than I ever would have believed.
    My personal experience is that I've got the scars that prove it was no dream.
    Your own personal experience of life and death, of course, will be your own.
  • auraaura Veteran
    I think all of you are forgetting that time is more mysterious than a simple man made concept. Time is related to space. A person who moves close to the speed of light and comes back will be younger than his twin brother.
    So time is a very real concept...
    A person who moves at the speed of light
    is dead.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol yes it is an abstraction in our minds. just like m-theory and all the physics we play.

it's all mind.
  • I agree with taiyaki. We are only as real as our minds think we are. We can't go beyond that.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Aura I see your point about your experience. I was responding to conversations with dead people which may or may not have been happening. Anyhow in any case I do believe that it is a messenger rather than 'it'.