Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why is Buddha so recognized when there are other philosophers like Plato? No Platoists?

Comments

• The ancient Greeks knew dharma, I get more sure of this day by day.
  • Plato's ideas aren't convincing.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Philosophy is the love of knowledge, which is an aspect of life. Buddhism addresses life as a whole, encouraging its adherents not just to love it, but to actually live it fully and clearly. Calling Buddhism a philosophy or religion is OK for discussion purposes, but discussion, like philosophy, is limited. Buddhism is not limited.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Plato is one of the most recognized philosophers of all time. His dialogues are arguably the basis for much of Western philosophy. As Alfred Whitehead famously (or notoriously depending on how you look at it) wrote:
    The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato. I do not mean the systematic scheme of thought which scholars have doubtfully extracted from his writings. I allude to the wealth of general ideas scattered through them.
    If anything, I'd say that the Buddha is often neglected as a great philosopher, especially in Western academia, and I completely agree with Richard Gombrich that the Buddha was "one of the most brilliant and original thinkers of all time" (What the Buddha Thought).

I definitely think more attention should be paid to his ideas, particularly in the West, which are arguably more coherent and pragmatic than anything Plato ever wrote. That's not to denigrate Plato, however. He's by far my favourite Western philosopher.

While I don't always agree with Plato, his dialogues tackle some difficult and important, sometimes even taboo, topics during his time; and in doing so, he makes some passionate and convincing arguments. But more importantly, I think his dialogues were meant to spark dialogue and debate (mainly for his students), not have the final say on these matters. And seeing as how many of them, especially the Republic, have been sparking dialogue and debate for over 2,000 years, I'd say he was pretty successful.

Another thing I like about Plato is the fact that he expressed his ideas in dialogue form, which makes them more enjoyable to read. While philosophers like Hegel wrote long and difficult to read works, which I find difficult to read, let alone finish, Plato presents his ideas in a lively and entertaining way. I read Plato just for the sheer pleasure of it.
  • If anything, I'd say that the Buddha is often neglected as a great philosopher, especially in Western academia
    So true - I have experienced it myself in western philosophical academia. "Buddism?"... Smirk...

Maybe its because he solves most of the problems of philosophy.

Problem of mind. Check
    Personal identity. Check.
    Problem of knowledge. check
    Free-will. Check.
    Is-Ought problem. Check.
    Classical paradoxes. Check.
    And on...

• I don't like books in dialogue; it is basically a straw man against "the truth".
  • I don't like books in dialogue; it is basically a straw man against "the truth".
    So your saying that the problem with Plato's works is the format rather than the content? Interesting!
  • @thickpaper

one of the problems of Plato is the format... another the content, overly simplistic and not conducive to anything worthy.

I'm not really a fan of western philosophies... with the stoics almost as an exception (still, the Dharma is a better approach).

better leave science to the west and philosphy to the east :)
  • @thickpaper

one of the problems of Plato is the format... another the content, overly simplistic and not conducive to anything worthy.

I'm not really a fan of western philosophies... with the stoics almost as an exception (still, the Dharma is a better approach).

better leave science to the west and philosphy to the east :)
    To be honest I haven't read Plato in any depth for nearly twenty years, but i would say if you can belittle him so easy you probably don't really understand him.

I am by no means a platonist but he is one of the greatest philosohers who ever lived, without any real doubt. Up there with the Buddha!:)

High-5

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @thickpaper

I cann't respect a philosopher if the basis of it philosophy is flawed.
    it will be like following Buddhism without accepting the 4 noble truths.

"he is one of the greatest philosohers who ever lived"

because a textbook says so?
  • Well, Plato took his master Socrate's teachings and spawned Platonism, later to become a more mystical Neoplatonism religion that lasted until Christianity wiped out all other religions in the area. Stoicism also had a large group of followers for hundreds of years. None of this got anywhere because it remained a philosophy of the upper(educated)class.

What amazes me more than anything about the founding of Buddhism is that the Priestly Brahman class didn't use their influence to have Buddha and his followers stomped on soon as it was clear he preached a personal liberation that did not require Gods or sacrifices. He must have had some powerful political protection from his father and family.

• @Cinorjer

it may have to do with the tradition in ancient India to accept or respect other philosophies if they were more coherent than the one practiced before.

the west have had an inquisitional approach that wasn't part of ancient india.
  • edited June 2011
    Hmmm
    I've not read Plato to any extent but hey.....I've not read any of Buddha's teaching either.

I have, however, read interpretations and dialogues of others on Buddha's teachings.

Therein may be an important distinction between Buddha and Plato......
  • @thickpaper

"he is one of the greatest philosohers who ever lived"

because a textbook says so?
    No because I read, studied and taught it for a number of years. It's also important to set him in the historical context.

Anyways, I'm not here to play top-trumps with opinions, I was just curious as to your rather drastic response a few lines posts back.

have fun!
  • @thickpaper

what I see as weak is the "world of ideas" worldview.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @thickpaper

what I see as weak is the "world of ideas" worldview.
    But you don't get a world view if you think the only significant wisdom is Buddhism.

• VERY SIMPLE ANSWER!!

He was the first to do everything.

All ideas and philosphers came after Buddha. So Buddha will always be known and recognized more than any other. He is the master! The jedi.

(Dont get me wrong other philosphers are amazing. (Im not just a Buddhist, Im alittle everything)

But oldest, wisest, Truest!
  • edited June 2011
    @vinlyn I agree
  • VERY SIMPLE ANSWER!!

All ideas and philosphers came after Buddha.
    I would agree apart from the Buddha himself seems to quite often refer to ancient sages who came before him, etc.
  • I definitely think more attention should be paid to his [the Buddha's] ideas (particularly in the West), which are arguably more coherent and pragmatic than anything Plato ever wrote. That's not to denigrate Plato, however. He's by far my favourite Western philosopher.
    :thumbsup:
    edited June 2011
    VERY SIMPLE ANSWER!!

All ideas and philosphers came after Buddha. So Buddha will always be known and recognized more than any other. He is the master! The jedi.

(Dont get me wrong other philosphers are amazing. (Im not just a Buddhist, Im alittle everything)

I'm not sure that's true. There are quite a few philosophers who may have predated the Buddha. While the exact date of the Buddha isn't known, it's generally now believed by many to be somewhere between 484-404 BCE (± 5 years), mostly based upon extensive research done by Prof. Gombrich (e.g., his article, "Dating the Buddha: A Red Herring Revealed"). If that's true, then people like Thales (624-545 BCE), Anaximander (610-545 BCE), Anaximenes (580-500 BCE), and possibly even Pythagoras (570-495 BCE) and Heraclitus (540-480 BCE) predated the Buddha; and people like Empedocles (495-435 BCE), Zeno (490-430 BCE) and Socrates (470-399 BCE) were contemporaries, with Plato (428-348 BCE) not far behind.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    I agree 1000% with Jason.
    In my country pretty much everyone with an education heard something about Plato´s work..about buddhism, nothing.

• Yea, I have to say at least in the west I think more people know about Plato than Buddha. Although I would say its very superficial knowledge. We even have the common term platonic relationship.

As far as ppl following the word of Plato as some kind of salvation, i dont think a lot of people are. But his ideas have influenced western history. Not to mention there is a huge history of western philosophy.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @girllikesam

hi

Buddha was a spiritual doctor, a healer, who found spiritual medicine to end human suffering & problems. Buddha was not a philosopher

for example, if we are drowning & someone saves our life, who would we praise or recognise more? the one who saved our life or the one who wrong some stimulating books for us to read in our spare time?

regards :)

• Buddha was a spiritual doctor, a healer, who found spiritual medicine to end human suffering & problems. Buddha was not a philosopher
    In my opinion, Buddha was very much a philosopher in the ancient sense. I realize that modern philosophy has a reputation for being ivory tower, academic navel-gazing, but many ancient philosophies, especially Hellenistic ones such as Stoicism, Epicurianism, Cynicism, and so on, where practiced as a way of life, or as you put it, as "spiritual medicine to end human suffering & problems." Stoicism in particular has many striking parallels with Buddhism, especially as practiced by the Roman Stoics, such as Musonius Rufus, Lucius Seneca (the younger), Epictetus, and the Emperor Marcus Aurelius.

Alan

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2011

Buddha was a spiritual doctor, a healer, who found spiritual medicine to end human suffering & problems. Buddha was not a philosopher
    In my opinion, Buddha was very much a philosopher in the ancient sense.
    I agree Alan, and in the modern sense to. Though the incense and mandalas don't sit well with academia, when you strip the accoutrements away you are left with a pristine and complete philosophiocal system that, imo nothing, rivals. Then you see that systems connects perfectly with a practical/spiritual system of individual living... and it gets even better.

I can understand why people can claim, Buddha believed in rebirth or Buddha did not believe in rebirth....

But, I have never understood the motives of claims such as Buddha was not a philosopher or Buddha was not a skeptic or buddhism is not a philosophical system. Mystery abounds!:)

• edited June 2011
    Jason's posts on Western Philosophy and Plato are very accurate and I'd add that if Western Philosophy is a series of footnotes on Plato, the actual text starts with Nietzsche's attack on Plato.

However, I agree with Dhamma Dhatu that Buddha was not a philosopher--not a Western Philosopher anyway. I was taught by my philosophy professors that philosophy in the West is the pursuit of wisdom where wisdom is defined as the capacity for sound judgment. This suggests some similarities between Buddha and Western philosophers, but Plato (and Socrates as far we know) did not teach the end of suffering through liberation of mind. Dhamma Dhatu's "spiritual doctor" is much more accurate. Furthermore, Plato's theory of the forms is entirely incompatible with what the Pali tradition (and subsequent Theravadin teachings throughout history) indicates Buddha taught about knowledge through direct experience. :buck:
  • edited June 2011
    (1)I can't recall one Western philosopher who taught relief of suffering/stress through meditation. I can recall some Westerners, but they're not philosophers.

(2) Part of the problem is the ancient Greece was kind of on the cusp of the east/west division as we understand it now. Eg., Greece is close to Asia Minor, Is Asia Minor eastern or western?

(3) Another problem is that the east/west distinction post-dates Buddha & Plato.

(4) Another problem is it's difficult to dismiss the mutual influence/cross polination of ideas in the "ancient" world.

:buck:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i'd have to say buddhism is more of a science: injunction, apprehension, and confirmation.

the buddha taught to do this and that and see what happened. then if you did it you get some kind of insight/wisdom. from there you see if the insight holds true in relation to scriptures, the buddha, various teachers.

philosophy deals with metaphysics and intellectual theories. buddhism is not about gather theories or metaphysics. buddhism is about experientially insight from our practice. it is one thing to know what the buddha taught and another to realize them and implement them throughout our whole experience.

• Maybe its because he [Plato] solves most of the problems of philosophy.

Problem of mind. Check
    Free-will. Check.
    Is-Ought problem. Check.
    And on...
    How? :buck:

• Maybe its because he [Plato] solves most of the problems of philosophy.

Problem of mind. Check
    Free-will. Check.
    Is-Ought problem. Check.
    And on...
    How? :buck:

Surely if you get dharma and the relevant problems you can see for yourself?
    But if not, pick one, any one, i'll show:)
  • Just show. I don't care which one you start with (well maybe not classical paradoxes). :buck:
  • Just show. I don't care which one you start with (well maybe not classical paradoxes). :buck:
    Your words seem less than skillfully presented Bucky:)

Still...in the spirit of debate,

The problem of personal identity arrises by the various duplication possibilities (teleportation without initial destruction or split brain thought experiments). I assume you must know these because of your apparent assuredness regarding the matter.

Dharma solves them simple: There is no problem because there is no person, just a process. If my brain is split, both halves may think they are me, but neither are, neither were, there is no me. It is illusion. There is no thinker only.....

Incidentally, I have spent more time than most pondering personal identity problems, parfittain survivors, nozickian threads etc etc. Had I known understood emptiness back then.... Anyways... I have done as you asked...

Now your turn:

Can you find a problem with the Buddha's solution to this philosophical problem?

• santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Calling Buddhism a philosophy does not hurt the religion. You can call it whatever you would like to call it. But if you are calling it what you would like, then I would want to do the same. If I would like to call this philosophy my religion, because it has helped me gain wisdom and insight into the nature of things, then please allow me to do as such. If I would like to call this philosophy my religion, because it has helped me achieve a deathless state, then please allow me to demonstrate my appreciation for my religion with daily worship and prostration.
  • jlljll Veteran
    I dont think Plato claims to know all the answers. Buddha does. If you dont believe in karma, then the popularity & survival of Buddhism is a series of coincidences. Buddhism is almost extinct in India & Nepal, its birthplace.
    Really?

The problem of personal identity.... I have done as you asked...

Now your turn:

Can you find a problem with the Buddha's solution to this philosophical problem?
    You haven't done what I asked but maybe that's because I wasn't clear. I didn't ask you how Buddha solved the problems you listed but how Plato did. For instance, with personal identity, which dialogue(s) do you use to demonstrate your claim that Plato solves the problem of personal identity? :buck:

• Hi jil,
    That's an historical inaccuracy. :buck:
    Really?

The problem of personal identity.... I have done as you asked...

Now your turn:

You haven't done what I asked but maybe that's because I wasn't clear. I didn't ask you how Buddha solved the problems you listed but how Plato did. For instance, with personal identity, which dialogue(s) do you use to demonstrate your claim that Plato solves the problem of personal identity? :buck:

Oh we have a misunderstanding then. I don't think Plato solved these problems at all. I was saying Buddha did, not Plato.

So you agree that Buddha solves these central problems of Philosophy?
  • edited June 2011
    it's okay...it's my fault too...yes, i do think Buddha solved these problems, but not in as nearly a systematic way as Plato tried to do...more importantly though, Buddha made clear which problems are worth working on and which are not :buck:
  • @ girllikesam: there are tons of Plato-ists but they're called Platonists, and there are also Neo-Platonists; and, IMO, all epistemological rationalists (e.g., Spinoza, Leibniz, Descartes) are Platonists :buck:
    Hi jil,
    That's an historical inaccuracy. :buck:
    And I'd add that it's irrelevant, as well.

• edited June 2011
    The Buddha was a realized being that is the example of the fullest potential within other beings. He also contributed to the awakening within others. There are also lots of things the Buddha could do that ordinary philosopher couldn't through their mental proliferation which couldn't solve their problem . Philosophy has a lot to do with the thinking mind. The Buddha gained wisdom through stilling and applying the mind. So their sources of information are different.
    The Buddha was a realized being that is the example of the fullest potential within other beings. He also contributed to the awakening within others. There are also lots of things the Buddha could do that ordinary philosopher couldn't through their mental proliferation which couldn't solve their problem . Philosophy has a lot to do with the thinking mind. The Buddha gained wisdom through stilling and applying the mind. So their sources of information are different.
    And I would say objectives vary.

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    I think, for me anyways, part of the problem is that comparing Buddhism to Philosophy is like comparing apples to oranges. I also think likening Buddha to a doctor is not accurate either.

To me, Buddhism is perhaps the earliest form of psychology. Both deal with the mind, not the body, although the body is greatly effected by the mind.

Psychologists try to deal with our mental suffering and alleviate it... Does not Buddhism do the same?
  • At first psychology try to do it through anyalyzing the past. In Budddhism you go within or stilling the mind or go beyond the conscious mind. But later you see Buddhist concepts applied in psychology .
  • The Buddha organized an order of monks. Plato didn't set up an organization of followers. The Buddha also lead an exemplary life and practiced celibacy, which set him apart. Some probably viewed that as evidence of spiritual attainment.

(1)I can't recall one Western philosopher who taught relief of suffering/stress through meditation. I can recall some Westerners, but they're not philosophers.
    Certainly not in the sense that the Buddha did, nor to the same extent; but many of the ancient Greek philosophers did suggest meditation as a means to knowledge and happiness, as well as other prescriptions for suffering. The most notable that immediately comes to mind is Epicurus, whose philosophy was aimed at attaining ataraxia, peace of mind and freedom from fear, and aponia, the absence of pain, via a system of ethics, rational thinking/contemplation and a secluded, moderate lifestyle.

Another that comes to mind is the man in question, Plato. For example, 571d-572a of the Republic sounds similar to the Buddha's advice regarding the practice of virtue, restraint and moderation and the cultivation of meditation and discernment in an effort to 'touch the deathless' (amata):
    But when a man's pulse is healthy and temperate, and when before going to sleep he has awakened his rational powers, and fed them on noble thoughts and enquiries, collecting himself in meditation; after having first indulged his appetites neither too much nor too little, but just enough to lay them to sleep, and prevent them and their enjoyments and pains from interfering with the higher principle --which he leaves in the solitude of pure abstraction, free to contemplate and aspire to the knowledge of the unknown, whether in past, present, or future: when again he has allayed the passionate element, if he has a quarrel against any one --I say, when, after pacifying the two irrational principles, he rouses up the third, which is reason, before he takes his rest, then, as you know, he attains truth most nearly, and is least likely to be the sport of fantastic and lawless visions. (Benjamin Jowett translation, 1892)
    Or an alternate translation by Paul Shorey (1935):
    But when, I suppose, a man's condition is healthy and sober, and he goes to sleep after arousing his rational part and entertaining it with fair words and thoughts, and attaining to clear self-consciousness, while he has neither starved nor indulged to repletion his appetitive part, so that it may be lulled to sleep and not disturb the better part by its pleasure or pain, but may suffer that in isolated purity to examine and reach out towards and apprehend some of the things unknown to it, past, present or future and when he has in like manner tamed his passionate part, and does not after a quarrel fall asleep with anger still awake within him, but if he has thus quieted the two elements in his soul and quickened the third, in which reason resides, and so goes to his rest, you are aware that in such case he is most likely to apprehend truth, and the visions of his dreams are least likely to be lawless.
    Of course, I'm not under any illusions that their messages are identical. But I do think that, in some regards, Plato and the Buddha are ultimately saying something very similar; although to me, the Buddha seems more confident, like he's pointing you towards the experience instead of trying to stumble upon it through reason alone. Plato, on the other hand, seems like he's coming at it from a more theoretical, less experiential point of view, almost as if he's unsure it's completely possible.
    edited June 2011
    The Buddha organized an order of monks. Plato didn't set up an organization of followers. The Buddha also lead an exemplary life and practiced celibacy, which set him apart. Some probably viewed that as evidence of spiritual attainment.

Not a monastic organization, no. But many of the Greek philosophers did have their own followers/students (in Plato's case, he organized an entire academy), many of whom were celibate and led fairly exemplary lives, e.g., Pythagoras, Epicurus, and possibly even Plato.
    In my opinion, Buddha was very much a philosopher in the ancient sense. I realize that modern philosophy has a reputation for being ivory tower, academic navel-gazing, but many ancient philosophies, especially Hellenistic ones such as Stoicism, Epicurianism, Cynicism, and so on, where practiced as a way of life, or as you put it, as "spiritual medicine to end human suffering & problems." Stoicism in particular has many striking parallels with Buddhism, especially as practiced by the Roman Stoics, such as Musonius Rufus, Lucius Seneca (the younger), Epictetus, and the Emperor Marcus Aurelius.
    After studying Western philosophy for the past couple of years, I've come to a similar opinion myself (e.g., see this and this.)
  • The Buddha organized an order of monks. Plato didn't set up an organization of followers. The Buddha also lead an exemplary life and practiced celibacy, which set him apart. Some probably viewed that as evidence of spiritual attainment.

Not a monastic organization, no. But many of the Greek philosophers did have their own followers/students (in Plato's case, he organized an entire academy), many of whom were celibate and led fairly exemplary lives, e.g., Pythagoras, Epicurus, and possibly even Plato.
    An extreme example that comes to my mind is the Cynic school of philosophy. the followers of this school, who rejected the value of possessions and social mores, would wander the streets dirty and often unclad, begging and preaching at anyone who would listen. They were known for their outrageous behavior, including wandering into people's homes uninvited and public copulation. Fascinating stuff. The term "Cynic" translates to dog-like, which, regardless of its exact origin, certainly seems apt for the lifestyle they lived, which most would see as more appropriate for stray dogs than for human beings.

Alan