Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I HATE WORK...(but its GREAT money and I need to provide for my family) PLS READ + HELP!!

edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
OK, im a father and work 9am till 8pm everyday. (really great money) and my missus is a full time mum.

The problem is I really hate work. However its one of them situations where I feel i cant leave because we need the money??? No other job wage would now be good enough for us..

HOWEVER: Buddhism has made me think differently. Do I need this job? Im not really happy where i am. Its just too stressful and long hours i dont really see my little lad much..

A position is coming up where i could work only 4 days a week and the money would just be OK. we would just GET BUY...(at the moment we can go on holidays, buy new clothes every day, day trips etc etc....But if i took this other role, most of the that would all go and we would just be on average salary. But the good thing would be i have 3 days off with my son.

Buddhism is helping me realize that money isnt everything and its about being happy HOWEVER its about my son being happy aswell and having enough money to take him places..The good places cost money..Holidays, Zoos, day trips, etc etc...Things for free are very limited in this world. LOL..(obviously theres going on walks, park, playing football blar blar blar, but eventually he'll want to start doing better things. So its either stay doing what im doing for good money but im not happy. Or HAVE MORE FREE TIME BUT LESS MONEY??
Any thoughts or recommendations??

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Spend as much time with your son as possible. It can become far more rewarding than anything money brings.

The best things in this world are free.

Why do you need new clothes every day?

What does your missus say?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Talk it over with your wife, the decision effects her too. When your son is grown up he's going to remember spending time with his dad more than if it was behind home plate at the pro baseball game or in the bleachers watching some summer league team.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    The problem is I really hate work.
    Is there no option of looking for another job?

However its one of them situations where I feel i cant leave because we need the money???

Everyone needs money. Is there no possibility of working up a savings and quitting to look for better or more enjoyable work?
    No other job wage would now be good enough for us..
    Many kinds of families get by on varying wages. Sometimes, for people to truly be happy, the standard of living needs to be lowered just a little bit. Don't, of course, ignore necessities, which I am sure you would never do.
    Its just too stressful and long hours i dont really see my little lad much..
    Spending time with your family is the most important thing besides the necessities.
    A position is coming up where i could work only 4 days a week and the money would just be OK. we would just GET BUY...(at the moment we can go on holidays, buy new clothes every day, day trips etc etc....But if i took this other role, most of the that would all go and we would just be on average salary. But the good thing would be i have 3 days off with my son.
    What sounds better? More stuff or more time with your family?

You'll find your happy medium. :om:
  • edited June 2011
    Absolutely, talk to your wife about it. Let her know how you feel about the current job, and find out if it's all that important to her to have new clothes, extras, and so forth.

Here's an option you may not have thought of; with you home more (I take it the new job wouldn't have you working such long hours daily), maybe your wife could take a part-time job to help out. Or do some kind of home-based business. She may have some ideas of her own to contribute.

I think the West tends to get life priorities mixed up. We shouldn't live to work, but work to live. I also think the best solution to your situation would be if your wife could help out by bringing in extra income. On a reduced salary, you'll still have life insurance, car insurance and maybe a college savings account to build up for your son (how does that work in England, anyway?) I think having 3 days/week off is ideal for most of us. But don't stretch the budget too thin.

Walks. Are you anywhere near wilderness? My cousin and I were very content with family hikes and picnics on the weekends, well into our teens. Maybe this will be an opportunity to teach your son other values, besides video games and the like.

Let us know what your wife says. Maybe she'll come 'round if you point out you'll be around to help in the house more, and you'll be less tired, less stressed. So you'll be better company.

Is the new job a stable position? Not dependent on public donations, or any shaky financing? Be mindful of the terrible global economy, but on the other hand, don't sell your soul to it. Good luck :)
  • edited June 2011
    Even 9-5 is more than enough, 9-8 sounds like a lot, 4 days sounds good.
  • My friend, I hear you...I am in the same situation...
    I have a great paying job making six figures and lots of financial benefits. But I totally HATE my job. After I become Buddhist, I realized I don't need to take this job so I decided to quit. I am in the process of arranging my exit. It will take couple of more months and then I will go somewhere where I can be benefit to others. Thats my new priority. I don't need all these luxury.
  • Whatever you decide, make sure you have the complete, unpressured support of your family. And, what are you going to do with your time? Saying "spend time with the family" is fine, but reality is, sitting around looking at each other with no money to go do anything isn't fun, either. Even if you're happy with it, don't demand your wife find the same satisfaction. And no, if she would rather have the money so that when you are home, you two have security and disposable income, that doesn't mean she loves you less.

Understand everything in life has a price, and you're trading one set dukkha for a different one. Beyond that, all any of us can do is what seems like the best decision at the time.

I hope whatever you decide, it works out for you.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Glad you posted this.
    I can relate!
  • No other job wage would now be good enough for us..
    Ah... the western trap. Our expectations of "normal" have become so bloated we can't fathom what it's like to live with less. Funny, but every time I'm in the "third world" I notice that the poorer the people are, the more I see them smiling. Many who live in abject poverty by our standards are some of the happiest people I've ever met. And the idea of "depression" is almost unheard of in those societies.

My bet is, if you and your family decided to down-size and reconfigure your expectations of what you "need" (boy, there's an over-used word if there ever was one), you'd find life could be just as good or better.
    Why not do both? Save money for a few years and then get another job?
    Spend as much time with your son as possible. It can become far more rewarding than anything money brings.

The best things in this world are free.

Why do you need new clothes every day?

What does your missus say?
    Totally agree!
  • lyndalllyndall Explorer
    I would suggest asking your wife directly her thoughts and especially your little lad if he's talking age whether he would like daddy to spend more time with him or be at work,your children are only young for a short time and i think time spent with them is extemely important,you could always try the different job and go back if it doesn't work out maybe.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    One thing you could try is a little experiment. Set a budget for your family, as if you were living on the more modest salary. Cut back on the amount of money you spend each week (perhaps by 20-30% to begin with). I think you'll find that you'll be perfectly fine. It will force you to be more creative with how to spend your money. Go to the park instead of the movies. Make dinner at home instead of going out. (These specific examples may not be relevant, but you'll find where you can cut back.) Little things like that pile up.

“How little suffices for happiness! the least thing precisely, the gentlest thing, the lightest thing, a lizard’s rustling, a breath, a wisk, an eye glance – little maketh up the best happiness. Be still!” -- Nietzsche
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Kids don't need money. They need love.

Many, many hard-working dads regret not spending more time with their kids. They spend so much time working, to get money, to buy stuff, and then 20 years later they realise they have a child with lots of ... stuff ... but a bad relationship.

I've had similar choices. And i chose the kids. Never, ever regretted it.
    Kids don't need money. They need love.

Many, many hard-working dads regret not spending more time with their kids. They spend so much time working, to get money, to buy stuff, and then 20 years later they realise they have a child with lots of ... stuff ... but a bad relationship.

I've had similar choices. And i chose the kids. Never, ever regretted it.
    Totally agree!
  • buddhacoe- I think quite a few people feel the same way. Talk to your wife about this new job and salary reduction. It's a big change for all of you and it will only work if you are all on board. Glow made an excellent suggestion about trying to live on less to see how things work out. If you can find enough extras to cut out of the budget, you might be better off in the long run. I don't wish to pry into your personal business, but I would take an accounting of my savings, pension plans, the amount of debt I'm carrying, and monthly expenses. Could you manage any unexpected expenses? Do you have an emergency fund set aside? I don't know the details about your job or how insurance works for you. In the US many people stay with jobs because of the health insurance and other benefits. Weigh your options carefully before you make your decision. These are uncertain financial times.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Any time I have taken time off to smell the roses when I could have been earning money I have found that later, when I had time to spare and less money, I wished that I had worked harder when I had the chance. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.
  • Cut back on the work. College has forced me to cutdown against my will, but now I finally realize how important making memories is. I never would have voluntarily learned that. There will be an adjustment period, but then you will learn to get by on less pay and the things you used to think were important (new stuff) won't be important anymore. Some people learn that lesson too late.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Buddhacoe - a have a question. Apart from the money side, how rewarding will the new job (4 days OK money) be versus the current job (crazy hours really good money)? Because if for example the new job is actually more rewarding, then you will probably perform better at it because you enjoy it more, and long term, actually improve your career prospects.

Also, here's an interesting perspective as to why time off can actually help your career.

http://bit.ly/4GjUuE

(I know you are not contemplating actual time off, just a downsize in hours, but still i think some of the principles carry over).
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "No other job wage would now be good enough for us..."

I think you should work a little on nekkhamma, "the pleasure of renunciation".
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Buddhism is helping me realize that money isnt everything and its about being happy
    sure...but Buddhism should also help a person work more effectively and be happy when they work

• Any time I have taken time off to smell the roses when I could have been earning money I have found that later, when I had time to spare and less money, I wished that I had worked harder when I had the chance. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.
    I think you're a one in a billion exception then. I've never heard of anyone on their death bed who lamented that they should have spent less time with their family and more time earning money (that they can't take with them). Life is not about earning money.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Any time I have taken time off to smell the roses when I could have been earning money I have found that later, when I had time to spare and less money, I wished that I had worked harder when I had the chance. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.
    I think you're a one in a billion exception then. I've never heard of anyone on their death bed who lamented that they should have spent less time with their family and more time earning money (that they can't take with them). Life is not about earning money.
    I can say with certainty that I won't be leaving much behind when I go lol. If I had spent more time with my family and less time working, they would have had less money to work with and perhaps less opportunities. They all (including my ex) got a higher education from my efforts. And holidays and braces, dental implants, bridgework ect. Did I sacrifice? Sure. Taking more time for myself would have been nice. Kinda selfish maybe.
  • edited June 2011
    . Did I sacrifice? Sure. Taking more time for myself would have been nice. Kinda selfish maybe.
    This brings an interesting bodhisattva angle to the question. Robot, did you enjoy your job? Or were you kinda take-it-or-leave-it about it? B'coe hates his job. And it sounds like he's working 60-hr. weeks. At a job he hates. That's pushing sacrifice a bit far. The people I've known who've worked 60+ hour weeks were people who loved their work.

Did your kids really need braces? A lot of kids who've had braces didn't really need 'em. It's a bit of a racket, that. It's actually quite normal for some segments of the population to have an overbite. In fact, one of the characteristics of the Indo-European skull that differentiates it from other ethnicities is the natural overbite. Those plaster models they show in orthodontists' offices are anatomically incorrect. They work great to convince parents to spend thousands of dollars on orthodontia for their kids, though. Canadian friends of mine always wondered why the American kids all had "metal on their teeth". The Canucks didn't even have the vocabulary for it.

So Buddhacoe, don't worry about braces for your kids, unless there are really obvious problems. :D
  • Take some time off and reflect on everything. The answer will come to you.

with metta
  • robotrobot Veteran
    CW. In fact i think braces were probably invented here in Canada lol. Like me, my kids never grew lateral incisors, leaving large gaps which I lived with. In my daughters case there was also a moderate under bite. Having teeth that don't bite properly affects chewing and digestion (obviously} and can result in poor health. Cosmetically, a nice smile helps with confidence and self esteem. I should have been in advertising. My ex was missing several teeth and needed a massive amount of work including braces. Why shouldn't she feel better about her self? Who always loves their job? When you have a family you bust your ass to provide for them. There is no take it or leave it. Thats the way its been for me. Taking more time off to be with the family would have been for my benefit, not theirs.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    buddhism allows you to reexamine your relationship to all things such ask work, relationships, etc.

let me tell you something. whatever decision you make, everything is going to be okay.

so be creative. not everything costs money. just BEING with someone is enough and extremely fulfilling.

and lastly, you create your reality based on the assumptions and beliefs that you project onto reality. if you don't like your current situation then examine the beliefs and core assumption about your reality. then decide to change that reality by changing your beliefs, thoughts, emotions and actions.

it is as simple as that.

either way you will learn these lessons with time.
  • he who does not eat, does not eat..
  • Thanks for all these answers, opinions, ideas....really enjoyed reading through each!! I'm really gonna have to think about this.

I have talked to my wife about all of this and she says its completely down to me. She is with me 100% whatever I decide.

My lad cannot talk yet no, so I cannot ask him.
    I'm kinda thinking perhaps I should cut down the hours till at least he starts school. As someone mentioned these early stages are the most important. Watching him grow up. People say hard workers regret working so hard after 20 years and already I regret not being around. My lad is only 2. And I feel I haven't seen enough.

Thanks again for all these great answers! X

• Yeah! I think for most people full time is 40 hours, 60 is way too much.

There is nothing wrong with money though. It is energy that can be use for wholesome purposes and cause.
  • One thing you could try is a little experiment. Set a budget for your family, as if you were living on the more modest salary. Cut back on the amount of money you spend each week (perhaps by 20-30% to begin with). I think you'll find that you'll be perfectly fine. It will force you to be more creative with how to spend your money. Go to the park instead of the movies. Make dinner at home instead of going out. (These specific examples may not be relevant, but you'll find where you can cut back.) Little things like that pile up.

“How little suffices for happiness! the least thing precisely, the gentlest thing, the lightest thing, a lizard’s rustling, a breath, a wisk, an eye glance – little maketh up the best happiness. Be still!” -- Nietzsche
    That's a fantastic Idea! If you find that you and your family are not happy on the the smaller amount of money or in any way struggling, then you have some thinking to do. Also, don't forget putting a bit aside for emergencies.
  • Your wife is behind you 100% no matter what you choose, but is she behind you enough to do some part-time work, to contribute?

@robot I wasn't making a sweeping generalization about all dental work being unnecessary. Orthodontia has been oversold, though. Some people do need it, but some don't, but are told they need it anyway. There's a lot of dishonesty in dentistry; dentists who tell their young clients they have cavities, when they, in fact, don't, and drill perfectly healthy, intact teeth. You raised a good point about working fewer hours being of benefit to you, not your family, which is why I responded. You didn't answer my question, though, about: did you like your job? Did you hate it, but did it anyway? Were you more or less neutral about it? Sometimes downshifting can be of benefit to the family, depending on the circumstances, depending on many factors. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited June 2011
    CW. Thanks. Truthfully, I rarely had any dealings directly with dental professionals. My ex handled all of that and I paid for it (no dental plan). So I was not in a position to judge whether each or any procedure was vital. Still how could I hold my head up if my kids grew up with bad teeth while I was not working enough to pay for the dental work by choice? 60 hrs is half a week in the fishing business. Try 200+ days per year at sea. It is great work sometimes. Sometimes I hate it. My point was that when you are the sole bread winner and your family is young, it doesn't matter whether you love or hate it, you need to go to work. The bills don't take time off. I guess some people do have the opportunity to change jobs. I didn't because like Buddhacoe I would have had to take a cut in pay which I could not afford. Good jobs are scarce around here.
  • I think money is good and necessary, but keeping balance lifestyle is also important. Spending enough time with family and job.
  • Your wife is behind you 100% no matter what you choose, but is she behind you enough to do some part-time work, to contribute?
    I think it is good to have someone stay home and take care of the child at such a young age. It is much better than hiring a babysitter or childcare.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Your wife is behind you 100% no matter what you choose, but is she behind you enough to do some part-time work, to contribute?
    I think it is good to have someone stay home and take care of the child at such a young age. It is much better than hiring a babysitter or childcare.
    Agreed. I feel like stay-at-home mothers have become vilified by their same-sex peers. Like they are taking the low-road by allowing a man to be the bread winner. My significant other says she wants to be a stay-at-home mother to raise her children, and I would support that 100%. My mother did it for me until I went to school all day, and I feel like it is of tremendous value to the child.

I can actually speak from a child's perspective on this though. My father worked shift-work and often 12 hour shifts (5-6 days a week). That means I rarely, if ever, saw him. I only saw him for an hour, sometimes not at all. Or on the days where he got day-shift I would see him a good bit. However, growing up as a toddler, I had my mom all the time. My father is a great man, and was a good father even despite not seeing him much. Hiding in the laundry, waiting for him to come home and wonder where we were, throwing baseball, throwing football, wrestling him, teaching us how to catch fireflies in jars, taking us into the woods to help him cut lumber, fishing, or just simply laying on the couch or bed and watching some crazy sci-fi channel. These are the things I remember, and they don't cost a dime. I don't remember all the clothes they bought me, the places they took me, the toys I had, etc. My family was very middle class. I had hand-me-downs, I mostly received new things at christmas, we went to a small beach one week a year, yet I look back fondly on my childhood.

It isn't the quantity of time you spend with your family, it's the quality. I would worry more about how your wife feels about you being gone so long. If she says she supports you 100%, that's fine. But try to get some kind of opinion on the matter from her. You ask us what matters more: money or family-time? But really, this is a question for you and your wife and the health of your family.

Can you live simply and be happy? Do not kid yourself about this because it'll only make you miserable. Happiness is hard to measure and hard to create because we often have trouble making happiness out of a job (something we MUST do). Examine why you hate your current job. Think about all the ups and downs of a new job (without bias). Try a month of living like you have a lower salary. Also, you'll be able to save that extra money you got from living like you are earning less.

Search yourself for the answer, you will find it. Ask your wife to do the same. Ask for an honest opinion, not just "I'm behind you 100%". That is supportive, but doesn't reveal much about what your wife thinks. Something like "I would like to have you home more often, but I don't think we can afford to not have the money coming in." OR "I want you home more often, and I think we can live a more simply." tell more of the tale. Anyway, hope this helps in some way.
  • My hat's off to you for the love you have for your family.

What worries me is that you spend long hours at a job you hate. That kind of prolonged stress could effect your health. Naturally, you want to stay at the high paying job, but is there a way to change how you feel about it? Are there any good aspects to the work itself, besides the income? Is there a way to minimize the negative effects of the job so that you can stay healthy and happy?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    My hat's off to you for the love you have for your family.

What worries me is that you spend long hours at a job you hate. That kind of prolonged stress could effect your health. Naturally, you want to stay at the high paying job, but is there a way to change how you feel about it? Are there any good aspects to the work itself, besides the income? Is there a way to minimize the negative effects of the job so that you can stay healthy and happy?
    Not a bad suggestion, for starters. Have you already tried applying "Buddhist psychology" to your work situation?