Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists Against Reincarnation!!!

Comments

• I fail to see how you can 'see it differently' if I have just put written proof before you.
    It's not semantics. it's an accurate definition of a word that perhaps you weren't aware of.

And yes - I will hold my hand up, if you like, and admit - I am being a complete and obstinate pedant, and I apologise unreservedly for that.
    But language, definition, grammar and usage are things I get quite passionate about.
    You may be getting a bit confused here. In the link that you provide there is no sense of the word 'faith' that includes hope...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I fail to see how you can 'see it differently' if I have just put written proof before you.
    It's not semantics. it's an accurate definition of a word that perhaps you weren't aware of.

And yes - I will hold my hand up, if you like, and admit - I am being a complete and obstinate pedant, and I apologise unreservedly for that.
    But language, definition, grammar and usage are things I get quite passionate about.
    Well, first, not all dictionaries define a word the same way.

I was using Miriam-Websters, which defines faith as:

"a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
    a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
    — on faith
    : without question "

And I was specifically looking at the part about "a firm belief in something for which there is no proof", and when you said, "I have 'faith' that the earth will continue to revolve on its trajectory around the sun, and that in some hours it will be morning." I don't see that as faith, because in my lifetime alone it has happened consistently more than 22,000 times and hasn't missed even once. To me, that's proof, not faith.

I'm not sure why us seeing the definition of "faith" as being different is so significant. Why can't we look at things differently?

• auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012
    And I will likewise give you my slant on your assertions:

Intelligence is being open to whatever arises.
    Hope - is crossing your fingers with blinkers on.
    Remember Pandora's box?
    The story goes that Pandora was given a beautiful box, or in fact, a jar which she was not to open under any circumstance. It contained "all the evils of the world".
    Impelled by her curiosity, Pandora opened the jar, and all evil contained escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the lid, but the whole contents of the jar had escaped, except for one thing that lay at the bottom, which was Hope.
    Nowhere, anywhere, does it say that Hope was the exception to the rule. The jar contained ALL the evils of the world. hope is one of that kind.
    When people have hope, all too often, it can turn around and bite them where they sit.
    Hope is not a healthy sentiment to cling to.
    Believing that anybody ever works toward any goal in life at all without any hope of success is delusion.
    Buddhism is based entirely on the hope that human beings may learn, grow, and change, and the Bodhisattva Vow is based on dedicating one's efforts and existence to bringing about the manifestation of that goal in the cosmos.
    Buddhists do not point to ancient Greek pantheistic mythological stories as some kind of dogma in order to denounce hope as one of the evils of this world.
    You know, maybe I need to back track just a tiny bit on one thing. If you read all of posts from the past, more than once you would see that I have questioned others members of the forum when they have asserted that a belief they had about something in Buddhism is fact, when I have seen it as faith (particularly when they have based their "proof" on something being stated in the Dhamma). And I usually point out that I am not against "faith", as long as one can see the difference between "faith" and "fact".

So yes, words do matter. But I also think it's legitimate to understand that not all people or institutions or belief-groups agree on the definition of certain words.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Also sometimes the instructions pointing out the path neccessarily are paradoxical. I think this is the case with hope. Trungpa Rinpoche makes a strong case for going beyond hope (in dharma practice). Meanwhile my teacher a student teaches by way of 'heart wish', which I expect is like the bodhicitta, wish to awaken. Though heartwish is the yearning before it is elaborated into visions.

This contradiction is resolved as a practitioner when you see that the 'visions of success' are always dukkha when grasped. Yet at the same time the yearning itself is just the breathing of the universe in your body (my teacher didn't say that this is my take). I mean that to say that it is unformulated preceding fabrication. Sort of the jewel within desire, om mane peme hum - the jewel within the lotus. In short within the mud of hope is the jewel of compassion.
  • edited January 2012
    Trungpa Rinpoche makes a strong case for going beyond hope (in dharma practice).
    Indeed. Some pull quotes from this (http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/book-reviews/never-turn-away-by-rigdzin-shikpo) web page about “Never Turn Away: The Buddhist Path Beyond Hope and Fear” by Rigdzin Shikpo:
    "The fundamental attitude of Dharma practice is always “turning toward” whatever life presents to us…"
    “Openness is a way of learning about the world that enables us to relate to things properly and act skilfully.”
    "The practice of openness is a natural gateway into the area of wisdom…"
    It is still a mystery how "being open to whatever arises" is somehow interpreted as hope.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    iktomi, I read Rigdzin's Never Turn Away book last months. My teacher is his wife. Or I should say the teacher who I am taking a course with.
  • Looks like a great book. I'll have to order it next time I buy'n books. :)
  • What a long way we have wandered from the OP!
  • auraaura Veteran
    What a long way we have wandered from the OP!
    In what way? The opening line the OP offered was:
    The Buddha clearly asked his followers not to believe things simply because he said them or they are stated in religious texts but because you have experience of them being true (Kalama Sutta).
    I would say this thread has provided a demonstration of that wisdom.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2012
    There are some elements of Buddha's teachings the lay peron takes on faith, Buddha highly praised developing faith in the Dharma what he taught is true and this is eventually discovered by those serious practitoners who engage in the path he taught. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_in_Buddhism
    Now that's a stick with which to stir the hornets' nest! The very idea of 'faith' really upsets some people here; probably because they confuse it with beliefs.
    Yes I know it upsets some people, But this is a part of the path developing right faith to remove deluded doubt about Buddha's teachings having a right understanding of Buddha's teachings is essential so we can not only accomplish the path but in time help others by teaching them these methods that have to be the unadulterated words of an Enlightened being such as Buddha, not the personal opinions of Samsaric fools.
    Simon is right, you're confusing faith with belief. Faith is being open to whatever arises. Belief is clinging to words and dogmas.

In the context of Buddhism they mean essentially the same thing. For example:

I have faith that what the Buddha said is true.
    I have faith in enlightenment.

OR

I have a belief (believe in) that what the Buddha said was true.
    I have a belief (believe in) in enlightenment.

They all mean the same thing. :)

What a long way we have wandered from the OP!
    In what way? The opening line the OP offered was:
    The Buddha clearly asked his followers not to believe things simply because he said them or they are stated in religious texts but because you have experience of them being true (Kalama Sutta).
    I would say this thread has provided a demonstration of that wisdom.
    Technically, If that is the Ops statement, then the OP's statement is technically incorrect. The Kalama Sutta was not directed at his followers, it was directed at the kalamas, people who did not know who or what to follow. People who we not sure about who to follow. He said very different things to people who were already his followers.

• auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Technically, If that is the Ops statement, then the OP's statement is technically incorrect. The Kalama Sutta was not directed at his followers, it was directed at the kalamas, people who did not know who or what to follow. People who were not sure about who to follow. He said very different things to people who were already his followers.
    The Kalama Sutta was directed at the Kalama, but when the moderator holds up an ancient Hellenic religious text as evidence that hope must be one of the evils of the earth, it's clear that there is indeed some confusion here equivalent to that of the Kalama.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It wasn't evidence, it was an illustration.
    evidence is fact used to prove something beyond reasonable doubt.

Illustration is just "see? it says here, for example....."
    I like debating with you @aura, but please don't twist my words or intentions.
    As I sit reading these various posts, it seems the debate is coming down to a few key words, such as "faith".

I was reminded about some courses I took at university in linguistics, where we learned that there were at least 3 types of language (although right now I can't remember the actual words that were used, but you could break it down into:

formal language -- what dictionaries and thesauruses use
    common language -- what people use
    personal language -- what individuals use

And I think "faith" may be a good example. Clearly people here are using the term differently, and that's leading to the confusion. But that's the way language is.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Shaw nuff.
  • auraaura Veteran
    It seems to me that many in the West, Jews and Christians included, who believe in rebirth/reincarnation do so as part of their denial and bargaining around avoidance of their fear of their own death. Indeed, I am convinced that the insistence by so many believers in an as-yet-unproven 'life' after death, however that is envisaged, partakes of the same avoidance.
    As I understand the Second Noble Truth, this sort of avoidance is as conducive to dukkha as 'clinging'. We are encouraged, by many teachers, to meditate on our own impermanence and post mortem dissolution. Personally, I have found this most fruitful, leading to peace of mind as I approach that "awfully big adventure". It is while we are alive that we can walk the Noble Eightfold Path or, as Jesus put it, labour while the light lasts. Dead, we have missed our chance and belief that we shall have another go at it is, to my way of thinking, a sop to Cerberus, an avoidance of fear we can confront and dissolve.
    It seems to me that many in the West dismiss rebirth/reincarnation and prefer to focus instead on their own own personal "dissolution" because it gives them peace of mind.
    Of course it gives them peace of mind!

If they ever accepted rebirth as a fact of life, they would have to accept that the sorry state of our world is not something that they merely inherited from strangers, fate, or some random gods, but that it is exactly what we all created by our past actions for which we are all directly and personally collectively responsible. They would likewise have to accept personal responsibility for cleaning up/repairing/healing ourselves, our neighbors, and the rest of this horrible mess that is the sorry state of our world, which we ourselves created by our own past actions.

If they ever accepted rebirth as a fact of life, they would likewise have to accept it as a fact of life that all the consequences and repercussions of our personal activities in this life are something we will most assuredly face in the future, and that we will indeed see the other side of it all...
    including the other side of privilege, which is privation, and the other side of empire, which is slavery.

So of course, in the West, there can't possibly be such a thing as rebirth...
    and there can't possibly be such a thing as hell...can there?
    After all, it would be very upsetting to one's peace of mind if we here in the West had to put aside our belief that we here in the West must surely be responsible for philosophy and progress and all the finer things in life and instead face the personal sorry history and responsibility of having been barbarians who engaged in butchery!
    How much more pleasant it is to believe that we must have only just materialized here in space out of nothing and that we are going to completely dissolve in space into nothing with absolutely no troubling karmic responsibilities and absolutely no troubling karmic residuals!
    Westerners could never be accused of living in denial, of course. Westerners attend closely to the current declarations of "Science," (our reigning god of the day who makes declarations according to the direction of the current flow of grant money) as loudly proclaimed and interpreted for us by "Media Business Interests" our current divine oracle (often not much more accurate than reading chicken bones).

Can anybody hear the Buddhist world laughing at the accusation (made by a Buddhist?) that people who accept rebirth as a fact of life must be doing so because they must be living in a state of denial and bargaining?
    I certainly can.

• It wasn't evidence, it was an illustration.

Just for fun... how does hope being in Pandora's box "illustrate" that hope is evil? How is it a good example or show how hope is evil?
    It seems to me that many in the West, Jews and Christians included, who believe in rebirth/reincarnation do so as part of their denial and bargaining around avoidance of their fear of their own death. Indeed, I am convinced that the insistence by so many believers in an as-yet-unproven 'life' after death, however that is envisaged, partakes of the same avoidance.
    As I understand the Second Noble Truth, this sort of avoidance is as conducive to dukkha as 'clinging'. We are encouraged, by many teachers, to meditate on our own impermanence and post mortem dissolution. Personally, I have found this most fruitful, leading to peace of mind as I approach that "awfully big adventure". It is while we are alive that we can walk the Noble Eightfold Path or, as Jesus put it, labour while the light lasts. Dead, we have missed our chance and belief that we shall have another go at it is, to my way of thinking, a sop to Cerberus, an avoidance of fear we can confront and dissolve.
    It seems to me that many in the West dismiss rebirth/reincarnation and prefer to focus instead on their own own personal "dissolution" because it gives them peace of mind.

If they ever accepted rebirth as a fact of life, they would have to accept that the sorry state of our world is not something that they merely inherited from strangers, fate, or some random gods, but that it is exactly what we all created by our past actions for which we are all directly and personally collectively responsible. They would likewise have to accept personal responsibility for cleaning up/repairing/healing ourselves, our neighbors, and the rest of this horrible mess that is the sorry state of our world, which we ourselves created by our own past actions.

If they ever accepted rebirth as a fact of life, they would likewise have to accept it as a fact of life that all the consequences and repercussions of our personal activities in this life are something we will most assuredly face in the future, and that we will indeed see the other side of it all...
    including the other side of privilege, which is privation, and the other side of empire, which is slavery.

and there can't possibly be such a thing as hell...can there?
    After all, it would be very upsetting to one's peace of mind if we here in the West had to put aside our belief that we here in the West must surely be responsible for philosophy and progress and all the finer things in life and instead face the personal sorry history and responsibility of having been barbarians who engaged in butchery!
    How much more pleasant it is to believe that we must have only just materialized here in space out of nothing and that we are going to completely dissolve in space into nothing with absolutely no troubling karmic responsibilities and absolutely no troubling karmic residuals!
    Westerners could never be accused of living in denial, of course. Westerners attend closely to the current declarations of "Science," (our reigning god of the day who makes declarations according to the direction of the current flow of grant money) as loudly proclaimed and interpreted for us by "Media Business Interests" our current divine oracle (often not much more accurate than reading chicken bones).

Can anybody hear the Buddhist world laughing at the accusation (made by a Buddhist?) that people who accept rebirth as a fact of life must be doing so because they must be living in a state of denial and bargaining?
    I certainly can.

Aura, rebirth/reincarnation is just as unproven as life after death. These are actually matters faith in which different cultures have a predisposed belief because its what their ancestors believed. Either one may be reality, or neither could be reality.

And, I don't find westerners and Protestants in general to be any less accepting of the fact that the problems of the world are caused by the people of the world. In fact, go to the world's most Buddhist country -- Thailand -- and you'll experience a culture deeply rooted in a concept we in the west would call "fate".

If they ever accepted rebirth as a fact of life, they would have to accept that the sorry state of our world is not something that they merely inherited from strangers, fate, or some random gods, but that it is exactly what we all created by our past actions for which we are all directly and personally collectively responsible. .....
    reincarnation was once an accepted and taught as standard by early Christians.
    it was only decried later, because otherwise the final judgement and hell and damnation would hold no fear.
    and such religion was once a splendid tool of Fear.
    Still is, in the hands of some....

I know it's a discussion source, but it has good links.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110520060819AAvUuI0
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Interesting post @aura, I think it's insightful. At the same time we are all coming from different places. I am glad to share ideas but transitioning to a new view there are all sorts of barriers. So in some sense you have to say 'different strokes for different folks'. For example when someone suggests to me that I should take up dancing I don't really want to do that because it is bringing me into a whole new world and is going to take up my time. And if I ask someone to watch college football which is part of my world they might turn up their nose. I am saying that there are emotional barriers to changing views and it's not just all about what is right and wrong in the world of logic and ideas.

In essence I am saying that I am happy for sharing these ideas and reading the posts. That's what this forum is all about. But I am also not surprised that people cannot agree just as someone is going to have a hard time getting me interested in something out of my experience.

Just for fun... how does hope being in Pandora's box "illustrate" that hope is evil? How is it a good example or show how hope is evil?
    'Just for fun' then, Pandora was given the box or jar, and it contained "All the evils of the World".
    At no point in the fable, anywhere, does it isolate or differentiate hope as being any different, or singularly separate from the Evils which escaped.
    all we know, is that she managed to contain it.
    Now - either it just wasn't as fast as the others, or her reflexes were pretty slow, if she let them all go, but one.
    But only Hope remained.
    which (for fun) prompts another question:
    If it was contained, presumably it was contained (as were all the other Evils) so that they would NOT influence mankind.

however - If Hope was the only thing remaining, and presumably, all the other evils scattered far and wide, and affected mankind in every possible way, then how come we are affected by Hope - if it remained contained in the Jar/box?

see, this is I think, where we get the phrase 'false hope.'
    one of the other evils must be cunningly disguised as their erstwhile companion, which is still caught and sealed in the box.
    But is this 'false hope' really any worse than the real one?

I think we should know.
    We must find that box.....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    http://www.greek-gods-and-goddesses.com/pandoras-box.html

That link says hope is good. I'd be moderately interested in an accurate translation of Hesiod's Works and Days. Hesiod was the author who dreamed up the story. Though perhaps it was divinely planted in his mind by Zeus, :p

I agree that an illustration need not stand up to scrutiny as claim of fact.
  • auraaura Veteran
    It wasn't evidence, it was an illustration.
    "evidence": "something that indicates"
    "see? it says here, for example..." : "something that indicates"
    Does anybody actually buy your propensity to engage in semantic gaming as legitimate debate? I don't.

Why would a moderator who closes the discussions of other members on the grounds that they are "not sufficiently about Buddhism..."
    point to an ancient Hellenistic pantheistic religious parable and say "See? it says here that hope is one of the plagues of the earth in Pandora's box!"?

Buddhism does NOT equate hope with evil or a plague of the earth.

edited January 2012
    aura, we're being light-hearted here, and hopefully, enjoying the banter....
    don't let it get to you....

Buddhism as far as i know, doesn't equate Buddhism with hope.

this all began on a difference of opinion of the definition of the word 'Faith'.
    I merely opined that the word Faith, with regard to Theistic doctrine and a belief in a god, was more indicative of a hopefulness of fulfilment. As an ex R.Catholic, having been educated in a convent, I know from my personal experience that this is pretty much spot-on.
    I saw the word Faith, in a Buddhist context, as more of an indication of 'confidence'.
    Several different definitions have arisen since, and all seem perfectly acceptable.
    So now, where would you like to go from here?

• Just for fun... how does hope being in Pandora's box "illustrate" that hope is evil? How is it a good example or show how hope is evil?
    'Just for fun' then, Pandora was given the box or jar, and it contained "All the evils of the World".
    At no point in the fable, anywhere, does it isolate or differentiate hope as being any different, or singularly separate from the Evils which escaped.
    all we know, is that she managed to contain it.
    Now - either it just wasn't as fast as the others, or her reflexes were pretty slow, if she let them all go, but one.
    But only Hope remained.
    which (for fun) prompts another question:
    If it was contained, presumably it was contained (as were all the other Evils) so that they would NOT influence mankind.

however - If Hope was the only thing remaining, and presumably, all the other evils scattered far and wide, and affected mankind in every possible way, then how come we are affected by Hope - if it remained contained in the Jar/box?

see, this is I think, where we get the phrase 'false hope.'
    one of the other evils must be cunningly disguised as their erstwhile companion, which is still caught and sealed in the box.
    But is this 'false hope' really any worse than the real one?

I think we should know.
    We must find that box.....
    Okay let's be serious. How does hope being in Pandora's box illustrate that hope is evil?

Also, do you believe that hope is evil?

Why would a moderator who closes the discussions of other members on the grounds that they are "not sufficiently about Buddhism..."
    could you point me to the thread?

• @iktomi, I think it does illustrate. A political cartoon is an illustration for example. But it is not always truth.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Hope and fear are two sides of the same coin. Hope has its benefits but it also comes along with fear. If you have hope for the best you also have fear for the worst.

In the end Buddhism seeks to move beyond hope and fear.

If a person has knowledge and conviction that a task can be accomplished then there can be motivation without hope.

So I think that hope implys a lack of knowledge about an outcome and faith from the Abrahamic traditions I think means an acceptance based on trust not knowledge.

Okay let's be serious. How does hope being in Pandora's box illustrate that hope is evil?
    I've already tried to explain that, according to my hitherto knowledge..but it seems Jeffrey may have found a different opinion.
    No.
    A specific sentiment or mind-wrought feeling cannot in and of itself alone, be anything.

• auraaura Veteran
    Aura, rebirth/reincarnation is just as unproven as life after death. These are actually matters faith in which different cultures have a predisposed belief because its what their ancestors believed. Either one may be reality, or neither could be reality.
    No, I'm sorry, I know many people who believe in rebirth, but I do not know anyone who believes in rebirth because of what their ancestors did or did not believe.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because of the recorded teachings of the Buddha which they have learned and adopted. They believe those teachings reflect reality, and they believe rebirth and karmic consequence is part of those teachings.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they remembered a former life as children, myself included, many of whom have found solid evidence in the world, still standing, of that former life, myself included.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because their children have recounted details to them of a former life for which there is no other reasonable explanation.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they experienced a near death experience that demonstrated something to them that somehow convinced them of the reality of rebirth.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because after a lifetime of meditation they have noticed their own layers, and those of others, and compared notes with others who saw the same things on the same people.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because as adults they recovered memory of a past life.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they have crossed paths in this life with people and places they were close to in a former life, resulting in quite fascinating and often quite mind-blowing phenomena.
    But I don't know anybody who believes anything because of what their ancestors believed or any sort of concept of "cultural predisposed belief." I know very few people who even know who their ancestors were, let alone what they happened to believe in.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I think I must belong with the Eastern Buddhists. The "Western" Buddhists are truly like none other.
  • Hope and Fear:

basicly we have to at some point and in a vast manner eventually accept that dukkha permeates the world. If we don't then we won't experience the vast sukkha (bliss).

But this acceptance does not happen if we are always holding back 'oh I have dukkha but it will eventually turn into sukkha'. It's like having an ace hidden in your sleeve (sukkha hope). But until you play the game fairly you can't truly win and you have to accept all the evils of the box. Of course sometimes we need to find stability like taking a med. Personally I take meds and it is rational. I used to drink and it became worse than the world dukkha so I stopped.

My 2c
    I think I must belong with the Eastern Buddhists. The "Western" Buddhists are truly like none other.
    Neither are the Eastern ones.
    "If you cannot find serenity, peace of mind and comfortable joy where you are right now - then where else do you expect to find it?"

• Okay let's be serious. How does hope being in Pandora's box illustrate that hope is evil?
    I've already tried to explain that, according to my hitherto knowledge..but it seems Jeffrey may have found a different opinion.
    No.
    A specific sentiment or mind-wrought feeling cannot in and of itself alone, be anything.

You don't believe that hope is evil but you are using the myth of Pandora's box to illustrate that hope is evil... and you're being serious?

• I think the way we understand and use the word faith in common language is different from formal language. I can use the word faith freely in another context and it would not be so offensive as when I use the word faith to describe something that I believe in. I can say "I have faith in you" and this would not seem to be going against anything at all. This is also how I understand the word faith is more commonly used. It seems that when we try to take apart this word in regards to religious context that the meaning seems to fall apart. I like the common meaning more.

No.

You don't believe that hope is evil but you are using the myth of Pandora's box to illustrate that hope is evil... and you're being serious?

Not entirely, no.
    Why, were you?

• edited January 2012
    You are trolling?
    Oh I wouldn't call you a troll. I have seen trolls,and trust me, they can be ugly.
    And I can recognise a troll when i see one. I wouldn't call this trolling.
  • Weird forum...
    No, I'm sorry, I know many people who believe in rebirth, but I do not know anyone who believes in rebirth because of what their ancestors did or did not believe.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because of the recorded teachings of the Buddha which they have learned and adopted. They believe those teachings reflect reality, and they believe rebirth and karmic consequence is part of those teachings.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they remembered a former life as children, myself included, many of whom have found solid evidence in the world, still standing, of that former life, myself included.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because their children have recounted details to them of a former life for which there is no other reasonable explanation.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they experienced a near death experience that demonstrated something to them that somehow convinced them of the reality of rebirth.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because after a lifetime of meditation they have noticed their own layers, and those of others, and compared notes with others who saw the same things on the same people.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because as adults they recovered memory of a past life.
    I know many who believe in rebirth because they have crossed paths in this life with people and places they were close to in a former life, resulting in quite fascinating and often quite mind-blowing phenomena.
    But I don't know anybody who believes anything because of what their ancestors believed or any sort of concept of "cultural predisposed belief." I know very few people who even know who their ancestors were, let alone what they happened to believe in.
    Aura, I don't know where you live, but based on what you've written, it's apparently not in Europe or the Western Hemisphere, or Asia. The majority of people in the western hemisphere are Christians because that's how they were raised. The majority of people in Thailand (about 95%) are professed Buddhists, because that's how they were raised. The majority of people in neighboring Malaysia are Muslim, because that's how they were raised. My adopted son is from Pakistan. The majority of people who live in Pakistan are Muslim, because that's how they were raised. In terms of religion, most people in the world are what their parents were, and their parents are what their parents were, and so forth.

You keep saying, "I know many who believe..." That's not proof or evidence. That's belief or (in my definition) faith. There's nothing wrong with believing what you believe, but there is something very wrong with not being able to see the difference between faith/belief and fact.

Let's face it, you're Buddhist and don't accept Jesus Christ as your savior. That means many of the world's Christians, perhaps most, believe you are going to hell. Well, that's their belief. But that's not ever been proven to be fact.

I could write just as long a soliloquy about "I know many who believe in life after death and heaven". That doesn't make those people right. It's just their belief.

A couple of months ago I found myself getting so steamed up over some of the conversations here that I wanted to drop Buddhism all together. Instead, I stepped away from the forum for quite a few weeks. I'm not going to tell you that you should do that, but I will tell you that you need to chill a bit. And in that theme, Federica -- overall -- is a pretty decent moderator. I haven't always agreed with her opinions or her actions as moderator, but she provides a valuable service to this forum and does a pretty nice job.

edited January 2012
    Weird forum...
    of which you are a member. :)

But it's all just leaves in the breeze.

Edit: You're too kind, @vinlyn, and I appreciate your gracious comment.
    such things prompt me to attempt to be more mindful. and rightly so.
    Thank you.

• Weird forum...
    of which you are a member. :)
    My posts are not insincere.
    neither are anybody else's. I don't think anyone here posts insincerely.
    not with that intention....
    what point are you trying to make, exactly?
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited January 2012
    You keep saying, "I know many who believe..." That's not proof or evidence. That's belief or (in my definition) faith.
    My experience is that I know many people who believe in rebirth because of their own personal experience, and/or personal religious choice.
    My experience is that I do not personally know anyone who believes in rebirth because of the beliefs of their ancestors, therefore
    my own personal experience does not support your assertion that "predisposed cultural belief" determines personal belief in rebirth.
    The majority of people in the western hemisphere are Christians because that's how they were raised.
    I would contend that the majority of people in the western hemisphere do not behave in a manner that evidences any sincere belief in the teachings of Christ whatsoever, and irregardless of any "predisposed cultural belief" or personal ancestors.
    So, Aura, 60-76% (depending on the survey) of Americans self-identify as Christians. Since, according to you it has nothing to do with the environment in which they raised by their parents, I guess you assume that those 186 million (or more) people all went on a personal quest to discover their religious beliefs and independently settle upon being Christians?

• edited January 2012
    I think the way we understand and use the word faith in common language is different from formal language. I can use the word faith freely in another context and it would not be so offensive as when I use the word faith to describe something that I believe in. I can say "I have faith in you" and this would not seem to be going against anything at all. This is also how I understand the word faith is more commonly used. It seems that when we try to take apart this word in regards to religious context that the meaning seems to fall apart. I like the common meaning more.
    If we can close the lid on Pandora's box for a moment, looking at the etymology (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=belief) may prove helpful.

Belief seems to have always meant to strongly value, trust, or have confidence in something.

Faith differs from belief in that it means loyalty based on promise or duty.

The meanings make sense when looking at it this way in both the secular and spiritual realms. We need only look at the reliability of those involved. A person can be reliable in the secular realm and have no religious practice or affiliation, and they can be accurately described as having faith because they are faithful. Conversely, a person can be steeped in religious practice and hold true all sorts of religious tenants, yet their actual behavior may not reflect the values of their religion, and in this way that person can be accurately described as having little or no faith, as they are not faithful to their vows, not faithful to their promises and responsibilities. They only have belief in words and dogmas.
  • @iktomi, I think it does illustrate. A political cartoon is an illustration for example. But it is not always truth.
    You are suggesting that some of us believe the myth of Pandora's box is true and not a myth?
  • auraaura Veteran
    So, Aura, 60-76% (depending on the survey) of Americans self-identify as Christians.
    I contend that the majority of people in the western hemisphere do not behave in a manner indicative of any sincere belief in the teachings of Christ whatsoever, and that broad cultural labels such as "Christian" "Buddhist" or "Muslim" (even if self-given), are no reliable indicator of any particular personal belief in nor behavior exemplifying the teachings of Christ, Buddha, or Mohammed.

I contend that the majority of adults eventually learn to think for themselves and decide what they personally do and do not believe in as adults far beyond whatever they may have been taught as children.

I disagree with your assertion that belief in rebirth has its origins in "cultural predisposition" or the beliefs of one's ancestors, rather than in personal observation of and experience with the natural world.
    Because I self-identify as a Buddhist-Christian in my beliefs, I won't continue to discuss the issue with you.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Because I self-identify as a Buddhist-Christian in my beliefs, I won't continue to discuss the issue with you.
    Of course. Unless you have a Buddhist-Christian cultural background and Buddhist-Christian ancestors, it would appear that likewise your own personal Buddhist-Christian beliefs may well be a function of your own life experience, observations, and choice rather than some "cultural predisposition" and the beliefs of your ancestors.
This discussion has been closed.