Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Determinism and Buddhism

edited January 2012 in Buddhism Basics
For the past few years I've been a strong determinist. Determinists believe that all our actions or lack of actions is based on and dependent on past events and genetic makeup. Like a stack of dominos, each event causes the next to happen. Choices are given at every turn, but what we choose seems to be pre-determined, making choice an illusion.

Mindfulness seems to be a way to step out of that box and make decisions based on the present moment without influence on the past or genetic makeup.

Is mindfulness just another illusion to make us think we can make decisions free from pre-determined influences or does it grant us freedom from these chains of determinism.

Comments

• Is mindfulness just another illusion to make us think we can make decisions free from pre-determined influences or does it grant us freedom from these chains of determinism.
    it absoulately is another illusion...you have no choice whatsoever...zero...
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Determinists believe that all our actions or lack of actions is based on and dependent on past events and genetic makeup. Like a stack of dominos, each event causes the next to happen. Choices are given at every turn,
    what i quoted above is a great definition of karma.

but what we choose seems to be pre-determined, making choice an illusion.
    pre-determined?
    pre-determined seems to be the wrong term but if by that you mean "limited"; then in a sense yes, since you are not going to make fdsahjikfdwqhuke as a career.
    "fdsahjikfdwqhuke" is a common career choice in planet "F143fhuiwqj".

but you have no idea of where is planet "F143fhuiwqj" is and what is "fdsahjikfdwqhuke" therefore you will not chose this as a career.

Mindfulness seems to be a way to step out of that box and make decisions based on the present moment without influence on the past or genetic makeup.
    you will be influenced on the past and genetic makeup.
    there is no way out of it.
    without the past, you wouldn't have any knowledge of anything.
    and you wouldn't be able to ponder the questions you just asked.
    now if and when you are enlighten this still remains true? probably but at a much lower degree.

Is mindfulness just another illusion to make us think we can make decisions free from pre-determined influences or does it grant us freedom from these chains of determinism.
    it gives you alternative choices which can be much greater choices, and even to eventually allow you to embark on a journey to discover your true self, also free yourself from suffering and the bondage of our conditioned mind.
  • present is a mirror of the past.
    the present interactions condition the future.

the present itself is impossible to change.
  • you will probably like this very much @beginner36
  • @pattb well said...and made me chuckle.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    past and future are thoughts... look to the here and now

I think that determinism and free will are stories. Buddha said that the thoughts: Was I? Was I not? What was I? How was I? Will I be? Will I not be? What will I be? How will I be? Having been something in the past what will I be?

All of those thoughts are not ideas fit for attention.

Sabbasava Sutra: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html
  • jlljll Veteran
    The middle path.
    Many things are predetermined.
    eg your IQ, your looks, your personality.
    But not everything, within certain parameters, you
    can choose how you live your life.

Otherwise, why bother?
    For the past few years I've been a strong determinist. Determinists believe that all our actions or lack of actions is based on and dependent on past events and genetic makeup. Like a stack of dominos, each event causes the next to happen. Choices are given at every turn, but what we choose seems to be pre-determined, making choice an illusion.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I think the way Buddhism understands cause and effect there has to be some level of determinism.

I don't think of looking at it like a row of dominoes is correct though. To me that view is only looking backwards. If our actions were like walking along a beach we could look back and see a line back into the past, each step leading to the next. To assume that the path also continues ahead in the same manner isn't necessarily true, at any point in time one could take a turn away. There would still be factors that determine the change (a friend up on the road) but assuming the same continuation would be like predetermination. There are many subtle and not so subtle factors that effect each moment, I think to try to view each moment as a complex web of causation rather than a linear one is more in tune with reality.

As to mindfulness. Awarness is always only in the present. Awarness of a situation can alter the course of events. So not only can the past shape the future but the present can as well. Its not an escape from determinism but it means we're not entirely tied to the past and its not predeterminsm.

Also if you haven't already learn about the difference between determinism and fatalism.
  • here is the mathematical formula of
    freewill or free choice

FW=1/(number of all conditionings manifest itself from begginingless of time )

you do the math:)
  • There are infinite number of causes. Thus the dominos are not in a line.

As I referred to buddhas Sabassava sutra trying to figure out all of the causes is impossible. And it is not an idea fit for analysis or attention.
  • yeah the number of causes is infinite
    so one divided by infinite=0
    thats how much free will you got...lol
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Yes but you can't say X caused Y because X contains the whole universe..

I'd be curious what nagarjuna made of cause and effect?
  • what? no idea what you talking about...sorry
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    http://www.angelfire.com/md2/timewarp/nagarjuna.html
    Nagarjuna’s Seventy Verses on Emptiness explain his teaching that phenomena are empty of inherent existence. Nagarjuna says that phenomena are not inherently existent, because they are dependent-arising. Dependent-arising refers to the fact that phenomena arise dependently in relation to their causes and conditions of existence.

The arising of phenomena dependently in relation to their causes and conditions of existence means that phenomena are in cause-and-effect relationships. Phenomena are not inherently the cause of their own existence. The continuation or cessation of phenomena is also dependent upon causes and conditions of existence, and is not inherently existent.

The unity or plurality of phenomena is not inherently existent, but is dependent on causes and conditions of existence (verse 7). Moreover, phenomena are not inherently permanent or temporary (verse 9).

To say that phenomena are not inherently existent is not to say that phenomena are non-existent. The statement that phenomena are not inherently existent means that phenomena depend upon causes and conditions of existence. If phenomena did not depend on causality, they would not exist. Therefore, to say that phenomena exist inherently is actually to say that they do not exist (verse 16)
    @zen_world Could you try to explain yourself further. I'm interested in the take you have but I don't really understand what you mean.
  • the mind links two things.
    with craving and attachment come this and that.
    reality lacks this and that.

if this and that are not asserted then the equality of all things become obvious.

the unborn nature of all dharmas. no this, no that.
    You cannot say that a specific thing Y is caused by specific thing X. For two reasons.

1) X and Y are not self existent
    2) all phenominen have multiple causes.. Thus the entire universe causes anything... And any cause affects the entire universe..

Thus it is a Cluster Fart of dominos and not just a line. It is not totally random arisings though there exists impermanence. The arisings are not random on the contrary there are mandalas. This forum is a mandala and requires MANY bonds between us. The website, buddhism, the language, things to eat and toilet for all of us hehe, etc..

Inifinite mandalas. In the space of awareness. Awareness meets it's mother, pure reality!

• Firewood becomes ash, and it does not become firewood again. Yet, do not suppose that the ash is future and the firewood past. You should understand that firewood abides in the phenomenal expression of firewood, which fully includes past and future and is independent of past and future. Ash abides in the phenomenal expression of ash, which fully includes future and past. Just as firewood does not become firewood again after it is ash, you do not return to birth after death.

This being so, it is an established way in buddha-dharma to deny that birth turns into death. Accordingly, birth is understood as no-birth. It is an unshakable teaching in Buddha's discourse that death does not turn into birth. Accordingly, death is understood as no-death.

Birth is an expression complete this moment. Death is an expression complete this moment. They are like winter and spring. You do not call winter the beginning of spring, nor summer the end of spring.

-Dogen
    You cannot say that a specific thing Y is caused by specific thing X. For two reasons.

1) X and Y are not self existent
    2) all phenominen have multiple causes.. Thus the entire universe causes anything... And any cause affects the entire universe..

Thus it is a Cluster Fart of dominos and not just a line. It is not totally random arisings though there exists impermanence. The arisings are not random on the contrary there are mandalas. This forum is a mandala and requires MANY bonds between us. The website, buddhism, the language, things to eat and toilet for all of us hehe, etc..

Inifinite mandalas. In the space of awareness. Awareness meets it's mother, pure reality!

Jeffrey, I think there is minunderstanding...I am not suggesting anything like that...I think there is miscommunication here...nevermind....

• @zen_world, I am not sure whether you understood what I wrote! Yes, nevermind I suppose
  • @zen_world Could you try to explain yourself further. I'm interested in the take you have but I don't really understand what you mean.
    this is not easy to explain but I will try to give a simple example...hope this clarifies it...

Assume zen_world wants to test @person about free will...
    z_w come up with a simple test...
    I bring 3 things with me...one apple, one stone, and one book...
    I put them in front of person and ask him if he can choose whatever he wants with his free will...
    person says" yes he has free will and he can choose whatever he wants with no influence"..
    so z_w says please do so...
    person randomly chooses the "book"....and says here it is, I chose with my own free will...

z_w then says, how many options did you have
    person: I had only 3 options
    z_w: no you had four...you could have chosen "not to chose"
    z_w: but the point is not how many choices you had, the point is that you had limited choices...
    person: so?
    z_w: the fact that I created the game, as soon as I created the game, I limit your choices. I created the conditions for you. Either you choose one of the 3 objects or you do not choose at all...but regardless you are in my game...
    person: but I choose the book on my own free will...
    z_w: even a random number generator can choose a number...is a random generator have a free will?

see the fact that I put the condition "with my game" - your unlimited free will is ended to limited four options...

You could have much more choices if I hadn't created the game at the first place...you could have done whatever you wanted to...

now imagine, in real life, how many conditions around you...conditions arising from your own mind and conditions arising from external conditions...

• z_w just because a random number generator lacks free will we cannot conclude that person also lacks free will

It would be like saying that because an apple lacks a rind an orange also does.
    ZW it sounds like you are arguing against libertarian free will, that we can make any choice at any time, and because that view is untrue then the opposite is true, that everything is solidly predetermined, or hard determinism. There are several shades of interpretation between unlimited and no free will.
  • z_w just because a random number generator lacks free will we cannot conclude that person also lacks free will

It would be like saying that because an apple lacks a rind an orange also does.
    no thats not the point...the point is countless conditions surrounding you...
    your mind is entangled to future and past....your room right now is your limitation.
    You are in the game of surviving...when you crossing the street the car is approaching is your limitation.
    The job you go is your limitation.
    The girl you want is your limitation.
    The suffering you want to end is your limitation.
    Religious ideas you follow is your limitation.
    Right and wrong is your limitation.
    You are already limited inifinite times in this life.
    You end up with countable amount of options.
    Your mind chooses options among those countable options left for you.
    countable divided by uncountable is always zero...

plus...
    I dont think there is even countable options..
    your mind is like a computer...you are no different than a random generator.
    If you choose apple over a stone or stone over a book is meaningles...its just a random selection which is nothing to do with free will... so what is free will? no such thing...
    its made up...

• ZW it sounds like you are arguing against libertarian free will, that we can make any choice at any time, and because that view is untrue then the opposite is true, that everything is solidly predetermined, or hard determinism. There are several shades of interpretation between unlimited and no free will.
    yes everything is determined...not just pre....but both pre and post determined...time doesnt flow.
    whatever can happen - has the potential to happen- is this...
    this is happening because this is the only option...
    this...is the most efficient state of nature...it is this way because it cannot be the other way.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    ZW, uncountable options doesn't enter into it. If we have 2 countable option then that is 2 options.. Your logic is flawed in dividing 2 by infinity when there is no reason to do that division.

If we have 2 options probability doesn't enter into it with 1/2 or 1/2... rather it is an individual choice.

Even if two people choose apple over orange, they have an infinite number of shades in that acceptance. For example you could like that apple for infinite reasons. Thus it is infinity/infinity
  • In any case the sutra I shared shows that buddha did not advise to consider the question of freewill/determinism :-/
  • ZW, uncountable options doesn't enter into it. If we have 2 countable option then that is 2 options.. Your logic is flawed in dividing 2 by infinity when there is no reason to do that division.

If we have 2 options probability doesn't enter into it with 1/2 or 1/2... rather it is an individual choice.

Even if two people choose apple over orange, they have an infinite number of shades in that acceptance. For example you could like that apple for infinite reasons. Thus it is infinity/infinity
    \
    if you only look at my game as an isolated event then you are right...
    but my game is not an isolated game...there were infinite number of conditions limited you until that moment.

• In any case the sutra I shared shows that buddha did not advise to consider the question of freewill/determinism :-/
    I agree...regardless of the answer, there are consequences to what we do and we try to do the best.
    this discussion is very theoric...there is no practical use to it...
  • zen_world, I think something is lacking in my understanding to see what you are saying. My brain has seen better days :mullet:

if you only look at my game as an isolated event then you are right...
    but my game is not an isolated game...there were infinite number of conditions limited you until that moment.

I don't really agree that an infinite number of conditions can be some kind of limit on free will in the context of your argument. In fact it sounds to be the opposite. If 4 choices is a limiting condition upon free will than an infinite number would be no limit at all.

You say our choice is only a random number generator, that seems to be the crux of your argument, the number of choices available has nothing to do with it. Randomness is the opposite of determinism. Many look to quantum uncertainty and randomness to find some kind of wiggle room to allow for choice. You've made it into a fixed universe.

I'll have to think about this some more.
  • zen_worldzen_world Veteran
    edited January 2012

I don't really agree that an infinite number of conditions can be some kind of limit on free will in the context of your argument. In fact it sounds to be the opposite. If 4 choices is a limiting condition upon free will than an infinite number would be no limit at all.

okay please contemplate on this...I cant explain any further... of course we dont have to agree:)

You say our choice is only a random number generator, that seems to be the crux of your argument, the number of choices available has nothing to do with it. Randomness is the opposite of determinism. Many look to quantum uncertainty and randomness to find some kind of wiggle room to allow for choice. You've made it into a fixed universe.

I'll have to think about this some more.
    I am glad you bring this up....
    something really surprised scientists about the particle wave phenomena...
    I am assuming you are familiar with the double slit experiment.
    When you sent photons to a single slit, the photon behaves like a particle.
    When you sent photons to double slit, the photon behaves like a wave if not observed and behaves like a particle when the system is observed.

However, something very strange happens...

When you sent photons one by one, with some time intervals between each photon, they hit the screen like they are random objects. However, after you sent certain amount of photons then a pattern starts to emerge...And no matter how many times scientists make the same experiement, always the same pattern emerges.
    So scientists shocked by this because it implies that somehow random individual objects creating the same deterministic pattern all the time. This is impossible.

This issue is also discussed between one of the pioneer noble price winner quantum physicts and HHDL in one of the mind and life videos...
    They ask HHDL how this is possible?
    And HHDL replied...because you assume cause is correlated with the effect in one way. What if effect is also impacts its own cause as well...?

The point is, random events create deterministic pattern....please contemplate on this...
  • And also let me try one more time....
    The concept of free will only makes sense if we link it to freedom...
    There is a difference between "random" and "free will"
    Randomness has nothing to do with freedom.
    Random number generator can pick a random number but we cannot talk about its freedom. It is irrelevant.
    So we have to differentiate freewill from randomness...
    Random selection is meaningless and doesn't relate to freedom.
    A free will implies freedom in our actions...

Coming back to my game example...
    I come and offer you two choices...pick A or B...you only have the following options:
    pick A
    pick B
    pick A or B
    pick A and B
    pick none
    you only have these 5 choices...
    From micro level, you think you have freedom but you pick one of the five with random way.
    But if you step back and look at the big picture, I put a condition in front of you that you cannot escape...This game limited your freedom right away by giving you only five choices that you cannot escape...I limited your freedom as soon as I request from you to pick A or B...
    Hope you are following me...
    If I haven't showed up at the first place and didn't ask you anything then you wouldn't be in this situation at all...Your freedom wouldn't be violated...
    but in the game you only have random choices to make, which you call freedom!!!?

ZW I think you're misinterpreting the double slit experiment. What it shows is that a particle acts like a wave when it isn't being observed. So the deterministic pattern that shows up when they can't tell which slit the photon is going through shows up like a wave interference pattern. When they do know which slot the photon goes through either because of one slot or because a detector watches each slot the interference pattern disappears.
    edited January 2012
    ZW I think you're misinterpreting the double slit experiment. What it shows is that a particle acts like a wave when it isn't being observed. So the deterministic pattern that shows up when they can't tell which slit the photon is going through shows up like a wave interference pattern. When they do know which slot the photon goes through either because of one slot or because a detector watches each slot the interference pattern disappears.
    no no I am not....trust me...I studied quantum mechanics for almost 7 years...
    I wish I can find you the video but it is one of these long mind and life video that runs for hours and there are so many of them...I will try may be I can get lucky....

Why are the choices random? What if the game was pick $5 or $20?

Pick $5
    Pick $20
    Pick $5 and $20
    Pick none

The decision isn't so random anymore. The universe of choices available also have value to them so how can we say they are random?
    edited January 2012

I wish I can find you the video but it is one of these long mind and life video that runs for hours and there are so many of them...I will try may be I can get lucky....

I'm pretty sure I've seen it, I've watched all the ones at HHDL website.

Well, I'm not just going to take your word for it. Did you study quantum mechanics in school you mean or from books and the web and such, because I've been studying it for longer than that.

The random part of the double slit experiment is which slit the photon passes through. The pattern is a wave interference pattern like when two waves in the water meet each other some parts raise up higher and some parts go lower.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2012

It's an interesting question. In Theravada, there's a variety of opinions about this, but there seems to be two main positions. The first, primarily based on the Suttas, is that we have functional choice via intention operating within a broader framework of causality that conditions the choices available to us at any given time, and mindfulness increases the range of choices we have in the present moment. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu puts it in his essay, "Karma":
    For the early Buddhists, karma was non-linear and complex. Other Indian schools believed that karma operated in a simple straight line, with actions from the past influencing the present, and present actions influencing the future. As a result, they saw little room for free will. Buddhists, however, saw that karma acts in multiple feedback loops, with the present moment being shaped both by past and by present actions; present actions shape not only the future but also the present. Furthermore, present actions need not be determined by past actions. In other words, there is free will, although its range is somewhat dictated by the past. The nature of this freedom is symbolized in an image used by the early Buddhists: flowing water. Sometimes the flow from the past is so strong that little can be done except to stand fast, but there are also times when the flow is gentle enough to be diverted in almost any direction.
    The second, which is based more on the Abhidhamma, is that we only appear to have functional choice; that volition is ultimately the result causally determined processes, as well as the arising of mindfulness. For example, Dhammanando Bhikkhu once gave me the example of a mosquito biting you on the nose: first you feel annoyed and want to squash it, but then you recall that you're a precept-observing Buddhist and so restrain yourself.

He explained that when this event is described in conventional terms, or according to the Sutta method, it might be said that you had a choice to kill the mosquito or to refrain, and that you chose the latter. But when it's described according to the Abhidhamma method, your abstention from killing wasn't due to choice but to the arising of kusala cetasikas (wholesome mental factors) such as moral shame and fear of wrong-doing (hiri & ottappa), and abstinence (virati), i.e., it was causally determined.

And then there are passages like this from the Dhammasangani (pp. 7-8):
    What on that occasion is volition (cetana)? The volition, purpose, purposefulness, which is born of contact with the appropriate element of representative intellection - that is the volition that there then is.
    And the Atthasalini, pp.147-148:
    Volition is that which co-ordinates, that is, it binds closely (abhisandahati) to itself associated states as objects. This is its characteristic; its function is conation. There is no such thing as volition in the four planes of existence without the characteristic of co-ordinating; all volition has it. But the function of conation is only in moral and immoral states; as regards activity in moral and immoral acts, the remaining associated states play only a restricted part. But volition is exceedingly energetic. It makes double effort, double exertion. Hence the Ancients said: 'Volition is like the nature of a landowner, a cultivator who, taking fifty-five strong men, went down to the fields to reap. He was exceedingly energetic and exceedingly strenuous; he doubled his strength, he doubled his effort, and said, "Take your sickles," and so forth, pointed out the portion to be reaped, offered them drink, food, scent, flowers, etc., and took an equal share of the work.' Volition is like the cultivator; the fifty-five moral states which arise as factors of consciousness are like the fifty-five strong men; like the time of doubling strength, doubling effort by the cultivator is the doubled strength, double effort of volition as regards activity in moral and immoral acts. Thus should conation as its function be understood.

It has directing as manifestation. It arises directing associated states, like the chief disciple, the chief carpenter, etc., who fulfil their own and others' duties... even so, when volition starts work on its object, it sets associated states to do each its own work. For when it puts forth energy, they also put forth energy... It is also evident that it arises by causing associated states to be energetic in such things as recollecting an urgent work and so forth.
    Incidentally, I think the Abhidhammic position accords well with what neuroscientist Sam Harris writes about the illusion of free will here, here and here; although I find the Sutta-based position more useful in the sense of motivating my practice (which itself may act as the condition for me to practice more and help give rise to mindfulness whenever recollected).
    edited January 2012

I'm pretty sure I've seen it, I've watched all the ones at HHDL website.

Well, I'm not just going to take your word for it. Did you study quantum mechanics in school you mean or from books and the web and such, because I've been studying it for longer than that.

The random part of the double slit experiment is which slit the photon passes through. The pattern is a wave interference pattern like when two waves in the water meet each other some parts raise up higher and some parts go lower.

Okay I found it...
    Please watch this
    0:53:15 thru 0:54:15
    This is very obvious...
    I wonder if you still stick to your argument...obviously this is not as simple as you put forward about wave interference...
    This is about indivual random events creating a deterministic pattern whether is thru wave interference or not...Wave interference is only the cause but it doesn't suggest you will get the same pattern all the time. There will be different picks and lows if individual particles are independent - which we know they act independent. But why the overall pattern is always the same...?
    Please watch the video...
  • Why are the choices random? What if the game was pick $5 or $20?

Pick $5
    Pick $20
    Pick $5 and $20
    Pick none

The decision isn't so random anymore. The universe of choices available also have value to them so how can we say they are random?
    $5 vs. $20 is not a relevant example...
    Ofcourse you will pick $20 because of your conditioning to material things...
    In this case, you are only following your conditioning....
    this is not a good example for free will:)

True, the decision is not so random, it is already deterministic:)
  • @person
    And if you watch 0:55:20 and onwards, you will hear this is not about wave interference...They specifically talk about that....
  • An average person’s mind is forever occupied by wandering and imaginary thoughts, so naturally their life is bound by the chi of yin and yang as well as fate. We cannot deny the fact that fate exists, but only ordinary people are bound by it. Fate cannot bind those who cultivate great kindness.

http://www.buddhanet.net/l1lesson.htm
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012

No say there are 5 spots the electron can hit. That is not random. There are only 5 spots (google particle in a box to get some idea...not @zen_world as you've studied QM).. but which of the 5 IS random: 4 5 1 3 4 3 3 5 5 3 (for example)..

One of the key features of quantum mechanics is that it IS random. Hence the different interpretations of quantum mechanics to account that randomness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretations_of_quantum_mechanics

I got A+ in quantum mechanics course at the university of michigan :om:
  • Is mindfulness just another illusion to make us think we can make decisions free from pre-determined influences or does it grant us freedom from these chains of determinism.
    I hope the latter, because otherwise Buddhist practice is completely pointless.

Spiny
    Why are the choices random? What if the game was pick $5 or $20?

Pick $5
    Pick $20
    Pick $5 and $20
    Pick none

$5 vs. $20 is not a relevant example...
    Ofcourse you will pick $20 because of your conditioning to material things...
    In this case, you are only following your conditioning....
    this is not a good example for free will:)

True, the decision is not so random, it is already deterministic:)
    Yes, that was my point its not as random as A or B not that there is libertarian free will.
    edited January 2012
    @zen_world regarding the double slit. The overall pattern of individual events is the same because it is a probability pattern. The pattern isn't an individual large event.

Lets say there is a %20 chance each photon will land in one of 5 spots.

I I I I I

Each individual event is random but over a large sample a pattern emerges because of the probability of each one landing in any spot.
  • @person and @jeffrey

please watch the video again....this is not about indiviual photon's randomness...photons behave random individually....but altogether they create a pattern, how? please explain...

how come indepedent events can create a deterministic pattern, how?
    please don't say it is probability. Unless you assume somehow they all have to obey a normal distribution or some another statistical distribution? but why a specific distribution? where is the causality?
    you are missing the point?
    I am not sure if you ever listen the video...

show me any example, where many independent events can cause a specific pattern?
    After how many - independent events turn into deterministic?
    I guess you are just arguing with me for the sake of arguing...If you really have the answer please submit it to those guys in the video, you can get a nobel price...
    :)

• Yes, that was my point its not as random as A or B not that there is libertarian free will.
    so? what are you trying to say?
    lost in translation....
    I am not following you anymore...

why bring up $ example?
    how does this help you support your own argument and disprove mine?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

According to the Buddha, it grants a certain degree of freedom. To say that this freedom is just an illusion because of past events is contrary to what the Buddha taught. :)

"There are some priests & contemplatives who are of this doctrine, this view: Whatever an individual feels — pleasure, pain, neither-pleasure-nor-pain — is entirely caused by what was done before. Now what does Ven. Gotama say to that?"...I say that those priests & contemplatives are wrong."
    It's really not so black and white as in a complete freedom of choice or complete illusion of choice. The Buddha taught the middle way between those two extremes.
    Buddhists, however, saw that karma acts in multiple feedback loops, with the present moment being shaped both by past and by present actions; present actions shape not only the future but also the present. Furthermore, present actions need not be determined by past actions. In other words, there is free will, although its range is somewhat dictated by the past. The nature of this freedom is symbolized in an image used by the early Buddhists: flowing water. Sometimes the flow from the past is so strong that little can be done except to stand fast, but there are also times when the flow is gentle enough to be diverted in almost any direction.

So, instead of promoting resigned powerlessness, the early Buddhist notion of karma focused on the liberating potential of what the mind is doing with every moment. Who you are — what you come from — is not anywhere near as important as the mind's motives for what it is doing right now. Even though the past may account for many of the inequalities we see in life, our measure as human beings is not the hand we've been dealt, for that hand can change at any moment. We take our own measure by how well we play the hand we've got. If you're suffering, you try not to continue the unskillful mental habits that would keep that particular karmic feedback going. If you see that other people are suffering, and you're in a position to help, you focus not on their karmic past but your karmic opportunity in the present: Someday you may find yourself in the same predicament that they're in now, so here's your opportunity to act in the way you'd like them to act toward you when that day comes.

This belief that one's dignity is measured, not by one's past, but by one's present actions, flew right in the face of the Indian traditions of caste-based hierarchies, and explains why early Buddhists had such a field day poking fun at the pretensions and mythology of the brahmans. As the Buddha pointed out, a brahman could be a superior person not because he came out of a brahman womb, but only if he acted with truly skillful intentions.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/karma.html

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    zen_world the results are quantized due to the 'small' nature (as opposed to bulk properties)..

Quantum mechanics is well.... quantized..

I don't think you can extrapolate a pattern phenomena in QM to a person making a choice. And a separate argument is that each electron is individual and has a random probability. Einstein was not satisfied with QM because it couldn't be reconciled with relativistic theory. But relativistic AND quantum mechanics both point to a non-Newtonian and non-clockwork world. The modern physics does not support a clockwork world. 'God' plays dice.