Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You're missing the point completely. Go to a Buddhist country, like Thailand, and you'll still find that to a large extent, the 5 Precepts have been codified.
    ridiculous post (as i lived in Thailand for many years)

further, cultural buddhism is never real buddhism

some of us carry a lot of Christian baggage into our fondling with buddhism

So you're saying that in Thailand there are not laws involved with:
    a. murder
    b. theft
    c. sexual activity
    d. certain types of lying
    e. alcohol and drugs

?

• edited March 2012
    no different than anywhere else

what about being a soldier, for example, and killing? is this breaking the five precepts?

what about supporting the armed forces? is this breaking the five precepts?

:confused:

no different than anywhere else

what about being a soldier, for example, and killing? is this breaking the five precepts?

what about supporting the armed forces? is this breaking the five precepts?

:confused:

It would help if you told us to whom you were directing a question.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @vinlyn I take your response as a "yes" to my question: "Does the anti-abortion sector plan to leave women to their own devices?"

Some of the measures I proposed are standard policy in developed countries (I think I already said that..?). The fact that the US doesn't provide maternity leave across the board, or post-natal leave is embarrassing. We're trailing the rest of the developed world. We do now have sick-child leave, for both men and women, at least in the public sector, I'm not sure how widespread that is. Affordable health insurance for the mothers shouldn't even be an issue. If the US had decent health care coverage (we're trailing the rest of the developed world, again) that issue wouldn't exist.

What does this country have against women? Look at how people want to hobble them: force them to bring pregnancies to term, allow employers to dismiss them for missing work due to pregnancy and baby care (more unemployment, but no gov't bennies if she left work "voluntarily"), no childcare (oh, but there's plenty of state and federal money for incarceration when the unwanted and neglected child grows up), etc. This is starting to look like a conspiracy to keep men employed, and get women out of the workforce.

I still say, give the child to the father to raise, after it's born, if the father is fit for the job. Let's see how popular the abortion ban would be then. Suddenly, the gov't would start paying for nannies, ROFL!
  • You can induce a miscarriage (within the first week after conception) with a few sprigs of parsley and some vitamin C tablets.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The plant Queen Anne's Lace used to be used in Europe until it disappeared (over-harvested), then they imported it from North Africa. That was during the Roman Empire. Native Americans used it, too, I'm told.
    @vinlyn I take your response as a "yes" to my question: "Does the anti-abortion sector plan to leave women to their own devices?"

Some of the measures I proposed are standard policy in developed countries (I think I already said that..?). The fact that the US doesn't provide maternity leave across the board, or post-natal leave is embarrassing. We're trailing the rest of the developed world. We do now have sick-child leave, for both men and women, at least in the public sector, I'm not sure how widespread that is. Affordable health insurance for the mothers shouldn't even be an issue. If the US had decent health care coverage (we're trailing the rest of the developed world, again) that issue wouldn't exist.

What does this country have against women? Look at how people want to hobble them: force them to bring pregnancies to term, allow employers to dismiss them for missing work due to pregnancy and baby care (more unemployment, but no gov't bennies if she left work "voluntarily"), no childcare (oh, but there's plenty of state and federal money for incarceration when the unwanted and neglected child grows up), etc. This is starting to look like a conspiracy to keep men employed, and get women out of the workforce.

I still say, give the child to the father to raise, after it's born, if the father is fit for the job. Let's see how popular the abortion ban would be then. Suddenly, the gov't would start paying for nannies, ROFL!
    You shouldn't consider my response a "yes". Whether or not to provide such services is a decision left to democratic opinion.

Before we praise to much of how (for example) modern minded European nations are in this regard, perhaps we need to wait and see whether the Euro dissolves over debt issues, often caused by public programs like those you talk about.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    There's more to public assistance than providing support for women. So much money is wasted in some European countries on generous living expenses/stipends for students in addition to university scholarships. (In Sweden students get so much money, they spend it traveling around Europe all summer.) Overly-generous welfare payments and unemployment payments (the latter continue for 5 years in Denmark). Please let's not oversimplify the issue by blaming programs for mothers. See, that's an example of the mentality I'm questioning. What does this country have against women?
    There's more to public assistance than providing support for women. So much money is wasted in some European countries on generous living expenses/stipends for students in addition to university scholarships. (In Sweden students get so much money, they spend it traveling around Europe all summer.) Overly-generous welfare payments and unemployment payments (the latter continue for 5 years in Denmark). Please let's not oversimplify the issue by blaming programs for mothers. See, that's an example of the mentality I'm questioning. What does this country have against women?
    Dakini, I'm disappointed in your response.

First, are you saying the people of a country shouldn't make decisions democratically?

Second, I didn't say a country should or should not give such assistance. I simply said that what government programs -- paid for by taxpayers -- are provided, need to be determined by the will of the people.

Is there waste in government expenditures in all countries? Yes. But keep in mind that every government program out there is thought to be valuable by many people. And that is where the democracy aspect comes in.

You know, when I was a school principal, I often had to speak to my community and convince them of why the school needed additional funds. The superintendent had the same responsibility for the overall school system. Sometimes we got the funds, and when we did I'd say we did a good job of selling our program. And when we didn't, I'd say we didn't do a good enough job, OR it was something the democracy didn't agree with.

And I think here's where you are being a little short-sighted. Millions of people prepare themselves to have babies, have those babies, and raise those babies without an ounce of government assistance. So, when you talk to taxpayers, you're going to have a tough road to hoe. Especially when, at least in this country, there's plenty of assistance out there if one looks for it.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    There have been so many cutbacks to assistance. Taxpayers are easily swayed by PR, even to vote against their own interests. At the moment they seem convinced that it's better to spend millions on incarceration than on child care.

Funny about democracy--I hear Swedes complaining constantly about taxes, and yet, the government just keeps collecting 'em, and giving money away.

These issues aren't so simple.

These issues aren't so simple.
    Exactly.

• Dakini, I'm disappointed in your response.

First, are you saying the people of a country shouldn't make decisions democratically?
    this approach is not really "buddhist". buddhism is not a God laying down laws for the general population. buddhism is imparting individual responsibility & individual decision making. the craving to control society is not buddhist

son_of_dhamma
  • It would help if you told us to whom you were directing a question.
    to Vinlyn

It would help if you told us to whom you were directing a question.
    to Vinlyn

I fail to see what your question had to do with anything that I posted in this thread.

Dakini, I'm disappointed in your response.

this approach is not really "buddhist". buddhism is not a God laying down laws for the general population. buddhism is imparting individual responsibility & individual decision making. the craving to control society is not buddhist

Perhaps you only live in a Buddhist world. I live in the world. The question for me is how to apply Buddhist principles to the world I live in.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @vinlyn You were saying the 5 precepts have been codified into Thai law, something along those lines. Wally questioned that. I thought it was a good question. ok, back to you two, now.
    I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Most societies base many of their laws on the predominant religion of that society. Thailand has laws against murder, theft, certain aspects of sexual behavior, slander and libel, and controlling alcohol and durgs. Those are the exact topics covered under the 5 Precepts.

Do the people follow all those laws...or Precepts...yes, no, sometimes.

Over most of man's civilization, basic laws have come from moral, religious principles.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I don't like abortion, but I'm 100% pro-choice.

Who am I to dictate what others should or shouldn't do?
  • edited March 2012
    Over most of man's civilization, basic laws have come from moral, religious principles.
    But should we not progress past that?
    Progress? Or refine?

What is a higher goal than morals and ethics?
  • Progress? Or refine?

Morals and ethics are subjective to each individual. To push one's ethics and morals on to another human being is coercion, which I am against.
    Progress? Or refine?

Morals and ethics are subjective to each individual. To push one's ethics and morals on to another human being is coercion, which I am against.
    But you have to have some social fabric.

• edited March 2012
    That is your opinion, which I believe to be false.
    And how do you like Somalia and Syria right now?

• edited March 2012

Well, Syria is going through a transitional government phase. A revolution of sorts.

Somalia I honestly don't know much about. I am aware that the southern part of Somalia lacks a government. Although, African nations are known to be relatively under-developed, whether they have a system of government or not. I'd say that they don't have the resources as of now to build such a nation that lacks a hierarchical social structure.

Well, Syria is going through a transitional government phase. A revolution of sorts.

Somalia I honestly don't know much about.
    They are countries where the social fabric has broken down.
  • edited March 2012
    So, what you're saying is... because the Syrians are trying to get rid of their tyrannical government, that equals the complete break down of social structure - or the transition from one form to another?
    So, what you're saying is... because the Syrians are trying to get rid of their tyrannical government, that equals the complete break down of social structure - or the transition from one form to another?
    I'm going to stop responding to you every time that you attempt to put words in my mouth.

• edited March 2012
    You said: And how do you like Somalia and Syria right now?
    I said: Well, Syria is going through a transitional government phase. A revolution of sorts.
    You said: They are countries where the social fabric has broken down.
    I said: So, what you're saying is... because the Syrians are trying to get rid of their tyrannical government, that equals the complete break down of social structure - or the transition from one form to another?
    I'll repeat myself, when you begin your attempts to put words in my mouth, the conversation is over.
  • edited March 2012
    I'll repeat myself, when you begin your attempts to put words in my mouth, the conversation is over.
    I just copied what you said. lol Maybe you should work on your communication skills if I am misreading you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    pack it in, both of you.
  • edited March 2012
    Social fabric doesn't need to be based on religion. When religion turns fundamentalist, it can become coercive, and potentially anti-democratic.
    I don't like abortion, but I'm 100% pro-choice.
    Who am I to dictate what others should or shouldn't do?
    This, I believe, is the ideal.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    As a matter of public policy -- it makes more sense for abortion to be legal. Making it illegal simply causes more pain and suffering due to unsafe "blackmarket" prodecures.

As a personal choice -- i'm a father of two and we're not planning any more, but wow, hope I never have to make that choice. I feel for those who do.
    Social fabric doesn't need to be based on religion. When religion turns fundamentalist, it can become coercive, and potentially anti-democratic.
    I can agree with that, but generally speaking, religion is a strong part of the social fabric in many, if not most countries.

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    One penis=no vote.
    Excuse me??? Like someone else said - we need a sarcasm emoticon.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited March 2012
    "Everyone in the debate is opposed to outright infanticide. That is taking a live child and deciding to kill them because it's too much trouble to take care of them. Everyone agrees I suppose. Everyone agrees I suppose that women are allowed to wash their hands. I guess you could make a case if you go over to the biology department that when a women washes her hands, lots of cells flake off and some future technology might be able to use the information in those cells to construct a potential child. So somewhere between say washing your hands and killing your three old. Somewhere between that there are decisions to be made about how we're going to balance what we call life, which in fact there in the cells on your hand. Against lots of other problems. And those decisions are not simple. People who say well I know its at this number of days, can't be taken seriously. What we're talking about ambiguous issues of a complicated kind where we have to balance where you have to balance conflicting interests and concerns. As is generally the case in human life. You are not going to get the answers from holy texts, your not going to get them from biologists, these are matters of human concern that have to be discussed seriously, reasonably, with the attention to the array of values, differing of values often that people have and different decisions they may come to under similar curcumstances"

"...People who say well I know its at this number of days, can't be taken seriously...You are not going to get the answers from holy texts, your not going to get them from biologists, these are matters of human concern that have to be discussed seriously, reasonably, with the attention to the array of values, differing of values often that people have and different decisions they may come to under similar curcumstances."

And, as I expect, it will come down to what is broadly defined as "the social contract", based on things like religion and science.

• my opinion ... OP is a troll
  • SileSile Veteran
    From a western point of view the only question is: Is it a baby? If it's a baby, it's wrong to kill it. If it's not a baby, stopping the cells from dividing is no different than weeding the garden.

I'm afraid my feeling is that it's a baby. But I don't know if I believe it's a baby at, say, four cells big; I do know I feel it's a baby by the time most people decide to have an abortion.

It's extremely difficult; you don't feel right telling another human what to do, and yet again, you believe they themselves are taking the life of a human.

When we say we "support women's rights," we only mean the rights of the woman killing the baby (my view); we don't mean the rights of the woman (if it's a girl) being killed. If against the odds she manages to make it out of the birth canal, we'd lay our lives down for her; if she doesn't make it out, we happily support ending her life with a sharp instrument.

I'm sorry to be so graphic, and maybe I've gone too far, but on the other hand, this is the reality of abortion. Sometimes I feel that if we don't talk about it in graphic, real-life terms, we'll never be able to figure out the true moral and ethical answers to this question, whatever they end up being.

I feel that the politicians (or, I guess, anyone) glibly advocating for abortion should have to watch a video of one being performed, and then decide. At least that way they are basing their sense of reality on an actual understanding or experience, rather than distant theory.

The human heart and gut instinct can be powerful guides; I think sometimes they are more accurate that anything. I can't imagine 100 people watching an actual abortion, and a significant percentage not altering their opinions. Similar effects have been noted for people who actually have to kill an animal to eat it.

This tells me that far too many decisions are made in favor of ending something's life, without going through at least the basic experiences on which those final decisions should (if ever) be made.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    According to my teacher the Buddhist view is that it is life. Also that all ancient traditions view abortion as evil.

Different times however.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I shouldn't have said we "happily support ending her life," simply "support ending her life."
  • I find debates like this to be extremely pointless, and I think the Buddha would have agreed. Neither side, in most cases, will EVER convince the other to agree with them. To ban abortion would be extremely unskillful because IT WOULD NOT END ABORTION. Instead it would lead to dangerous alternative methods and risks to the lives of many healthy, upstanding, compassionate women.

Whether or not a specific abortion is skillfull or unskillful must be ascertained by the mother, guided by compassion, insight, midfulness, and skillful intent. Welcome to samsara, people. Welcome to the life of the householder. Where there is complication, derision, loss, grief, sorrow, hard decisions, SUFFERING. This is why the Buddha explains that to achieve liberation, one must leave the householder's existence and go into homelessness. there is no escaping the complications and difficulties of life as long as one is tied to those very complications.
    I find debates like this to be extremely pointless, and I think the Buddha would have agreed. Neither side, in most cases, will EVER convince the other to agree with them. To ban abortion would be extremely unskillful because IT WOULD NOT END ABORTION. Instead it would lead to dangerous alternative methods and risks to the lives of many healthy, upstanding, compassionate women.

Whether or not a specific abortion is skillfull or unskillful must be ascertained by the mother, guided by compassion, insight, midfulness, and skillful intent. Welcome to samsara, people. Welcome to the life of the householder. Where there is complication, derision, loss, grief, sorrow, hard decisions, SUFFERING. This is why the Buddha explains that to achieve liberation, one must leave the householder's existence and go into homelessness. there is no escaping the complications and difficulties of life as long as one is tied to those very complications.
    Without debates like this, how are government/public policies determined. By men in a small, dark conference room?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Debates like this" don't exist in government circles in that there are probably no Buddhists to discuss them.
    However, i would hope that there is a broad spectrum of interested parties present, including doctors, Lawyers, women, nurses and religious representatives.
    The last being almost certain to wish to take part, for precisely the same reasons we're debating....
    but i would imagine that unfortunately, the majority of those discussing matters, would indeed, be 'men'....
    "Debates like this" don't exist in government circles in that there are probably no Buddhists to discuss them.
    However, i would hope that there is a broad spectrum of interested parties present, including doctors, Lawyers, women, nurses and religious representatives.
    The last being almost certain to wish to take part, for precisely the same reasons we're debating....
    but i would imagine that unfortunately, the majority of those discussing matters, would indeed, be 'men'....
    I guess that's something that I still don't get. Why are there so few women in politics.

And while "debates like this" don't occur in government circles, there is still the public debate that politicians are aware of. After all, the public debate on this issue is primarily fueled by a religious group.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Here's the latest US government hearing about religious institutions providing contraception for women in their health care plans. Notice anything missing?

• hmm
    Here's the latest US government hearing about religious institutions providing contraception for women in their health care plans. Notice anything missing?

Yes, of course. This was just one more Republican disgrace.

I was about to say something extremely risqué but thought better of it......
This discussion has been closed.