Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Removing Asura.

edited August 2012 in General Banter
Disregarding past experience with asuras, it has become necessary to remove an asura from this place.
Despite the discussions and conversations elsewhere concerning Buddhist insight and practice with devas and asuras etc., I've not been able to progress insofar in this regard. So, I'm starting a discussion here on this whim, sort of.

What are some references or ideas to removing an asura?

(p.s. In this case we have already negotiated with him and it hasn't borne well.)

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    The very act of trying to remove an asura justifies their behaviour.
    Like everything else, they are just one manifestation of fundamentally feeling separated from everything else.

The Buddhist approach.....

Step one. Examine how you are also asura like.
    Step two. Manifest compassion, sympathy, empathy, tenderness & love for your own asura nature.
    Step three. Repeat endlessly.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Ummm... What is asura? Google is coming up short. Are they like... real people? Are you talking about a person in your life?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Hey RebeccaS
    Look up the six realms. It is a pretty rich teaching tool with many different levels.
    Asura's can be people, natures, tendencies, karmic inertia, any power acting with anger and jealousy etc. It shows the consequences of such manifestations and how to address it.
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    Asura - Demon, evil ghost
    Devas - Heavenly beings, deities
  • RebeccaS said:

Ummm... What is asura? Google is coming up short. Are they like... real people? Are you talking about a person in your life?

Asuras are similar to devas (gods), which is a great number of heavenly realms where beings live, as opposed to hell. Asuras, or demigods, differ from devas in the sense that they are discontent, prone to anger and delight in fighting. They exist below other devas and interact with humans the same way. This is one of 31 realms of living preserved in Dhamma.

Although if you don't know what an asura is you probably don't have any sources on how to evict one.
    Jeffrey
  • Thanks guys, I'll look it up. One last question, are they like ghosts or something? I really don't understand the whole entity thing.
  • RebeccaS said:

Thanks guys, I'll look it up. One last question, are they like ghosts or something? I really don't understand the whole entity thing.

Like us humans, like animals, beings in purgatory, and "hungry ghosts," asuras are just beings. They are beings of a subtle form. There is a deva world here on earth, a deva kingdom above it, and five more heavenly realms above it to every world, where sensual gods are born and dwell.

Most humans cannot see asuras, but many can especially deep meditators and monks. Those who have developed the divine eye, one of five special eyes. The reason we don't see them commonly is because of our gross minds and they're refined bodies. The Buddha spoke of them on several occasions as well as other monks. They're also mentioned in the Abhidhamma Pitaka and have always been present in Dharma.

Many people glimpse devas or asuras and consider them to be ghosts, angels, sometimes demons, and still less even aliens. However, they are just otherworldly beings like humans. They are reborn as humans, hell beings, etc.
    Jeffrey
  • Heart sutra. Sing it, chant it, breathe it.
  • taiyaki said:

Heart sutra. Sing it, chant it, breathe it.

More... elaboration? :)
  • Its a very powerful mantra.

It can dispell any perception.

Solidity is given on the basis of projection.

Because all is a construction. Seeing the voidness of all appearance automatically self liberates everything.

Trying to get rid of is affirming. Seeing the nature and essence of appearances allow for wisdom to manifest.

Cut it all with prajna.
  • edited August 2012
    ... I don't understand. Would cutting my roommate with prajna cause them to leave the house? It's not like a phantom, it's an asura. I'm only trying to gain a footing in your advice so I can use it.
  • Lol well then its just a grosser form of the aggressive energy.

But never the less everything is coming from you and not at you.

Its very counter to what we normally believe which in turns colors our perception.

Everything is what you designate it to be. You see what you want to see and ot acts as a feedback loop continually justifying your designations over and over again.

An asura from the designation of love is just a very hurt being.

So my advice to you is to actively see how your mind is constructing this whole thing. Is that person truly an asura? Can they be anything else? Patience is important.

But if there is potential harm its always better to avoid. But if you can work with it then just pay attention to the whole construction.
  • taiyaki said:

Lol well then its just a grosser form of the aggressive energy.

But never the less everything is coming from you and not at you.

Its very counter to what we normally believe which in turns colors our perception.

Everything is what you designate it to be. You see what you want to see and ot acts as a feedback loop continually justifying your designations over and over again.

An asura from the designation of love is just a very hurt being.

So my advice to you is to actively see how your mind is constructing this whole thing. Is that person truly an asura? Can they be anything else? Patience is important.

But if there is potential harm its always better to avoid. But if you can work with it then just pay attention to the whole construction.

I'm not sure I understand. I do understand mental formations, as you're referring to them. I do understand insight and tranquility. I understand the immeasurables and how they apply.
    Yes the asura is very hurt, but I don't think any amount of "seeing how my mind is constructing the whole thing" will help him to leave. Yes, the person is truly an asura, there is no doubt. Patience is present. There is potential harm because that is what he seeks. He would not even listen to my words, my friend had to speak to him and I had to translate for her.

We negotiated him to live her room but now he is worsening the household. It isn't a dire situation, no one is dire yet but he is very malign and does cause problems with mood, health, and pestilence. Also she is in a vulnerable stage right now spiritually. Put simply, everything you've said is already considered into our calculations.

This is more along the lines of: How would you remove a bad person from your house, if they were invisible and powerful and didn't want to leave?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    This is more along the lines of: How would you remove a bad person from your house, if they were invisible and powerful and didn't want to leave?

If I am to take you at your words and you are not willing to follow my previous post's suggestions, you can get a Buddhist priest to perform a sagaki at the house.
  • how said:

If I am to take you at your words and you are not willing to follow my previous post's suggestions, you can get a Buddhist priest to perform a sagaki at the house.

I am already following that advice. Also the latter suggestion is out of the question. There just aren't any around here. However, understanding what sagaki is and how it works would be helpful...

What I've been looking for is action. This is a very practical situation and not hardly a spiritual one.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    OK, he's invisible, powerful, doesn't want to leave and you think this is really a very practical situation??????

It's spiritual. It's there because it's getting something it wants. What do you think that might be?

• how said:

OK, he's invisible, powerful, doesn't want to leave and you think this is really a very practical situation??????

And here I thought our computer link was strictly terrestrial.

He is a normal characteristic asura--thus invisible. But not invisible at all to the divine eye. I'm looking for experience or sources here. Like in the OP.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Pack their belongings. dump outside door with note:
    'You are not welcome here any more'.

change locks.
    stretch rent between remaining tenants, until new tenant can be found, if required.
    sorted.

Jeesh, why complicate things by calling them asuras?
    the person's a pain in the neck!

deal with it on a human level, because that is primarily, what they are!
    MaryAnne
  • federica said:

Pack their belongings. dump outside door with note:
    'You are not welcome here any more'.

change locks.
    stretch rent between remaining tenants, until new tenant can be found, if required.
    sorted.

Jeesh, why complicate things by calling them asuras?
    the person's a pain in the neck!

deal with it on a human level, because that is primarily, what they are!

I don't know if he has any belongings but we can try to find out. More so he is simply attracted to the girl who lives here. So we can't remove the inhabitant of the household. Also I don't think he needs to unlock the door to get inside. It's not complicated.

Since he doesn't provide anything or pay rent he isn't a tenant. He is an unwelcome being who shouldn't be here right now and will not cooperate. He doesn't just happen to be an asura, it's completely relevant to the situation. Not complicated. The problem is he is an asura.

... Is this complicated guys?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Tell the girl it's her problem, but that nobody wants him there.
    Don't create a mystical problem out of something that is simply practical.
    and if you don't like him, and want him to leave, tell him to get out, and not come back.
    it's not complicated at all.

You're making it complicated.
    MaryAnne
  • federica said:

Tell the girl it's her problem, but that nobody wants him there.
    Don't create a mystical problem out of something that is simply practical.
    and if you don't like him, and want him to leave, tell him to get out, and not come back.
    it's not complicated at all.

You're making it complicated.

thanks for your reply.
    I'm sorry to have been blunt, but really, seeking to attach or define a practical problem, on a spiritual level, just doesn't fit, sometimes.
    Face it - the guy's a jerk, he's disruptive, and you don't like him being there.
    He seems - as far as I can gather - to be there because he's seeing a girl who lives there.

Well, here's the thing: you all need to tell her he is not welcome, nobody wants him there, and if he keeps coming round, she will have to choose between him, and continuing to live there, because you're all fed up with it.

Really - it's a 'human' issue. Deal with it on a 'human' level.
  • how said:

It's spiritual. It's there because it's getting something it wants. What do you think that might be?

Probably the negative energy they contribute.. the drama.. the asura is probably all over this thread eating it up.

Really though.. why would a being like that listen to things like, "Go away!" or "You are not welcome here! ?
    Sounds like the trump cards are in the asuras hands to me.

Then again I am not versed in this subject or any subject for that matter.
  • Everything is given power by belief.

If one doesn't believe then what power does it have?

Its really that simple.

No matter if its a spirit or a full on "physical" being.

Reality is a total construction of the individuals energy being projected outwards. Failure to recognize this results in more fabrication, more solidifying via attachment and aversion.

There is no thing apart from your projection of such thing. When that is recognized then everything is a display, a magical display. All smoke and mirrors.

This also includes you the one having the problem. The one asking for help, etc. just stop fabricating. WhatS left?
    MaryAnne
  • taiyaki said:

Everything is given power by belief.

If one doesn't believe then what power does it have?

Its really that simple.

No matter if its a spirit or a full on "physical" being.

Reality is a total construction of the individuals energy being projected outwards. Failure to recognize this results in more fabrication, more solidifying via attachment and aversion.

There is no thing apart from your projection of such thing. When that is recognized then everything is a display, a magical display. All smoke and mirrors.

This also includes you the one having the problem. The one asking for help, etc. just stop fabricating. WhatS left?

It is easy to type or say.. but when caught in the grips of obsession or hatred for most people it is something that gets dragged out for a while.
  • The only solution is to stop.
    federica
  • Easy to type..
  • Easy is relative.

If the individual is willing to drop it completely then my suggestion will work.

If not then they will need to construct condition x, y, z. Then they can remedy the problem.

The problem is a construction of mind.

So it all depends.

When it comes down to it, easy is just stopping.

Complaining, asking for advice, thinking, etc are all secondary to just stopping.

When one realizes that all their solutions to their problems are the problem themselves then well you mine as well as bust out in laughter.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @taiyaki
    True but seriously short on empathy or skillful means.
    Wasn't that Nancy Reagan's solution to drugs? Just stop!
    Why did the Buddha bother messing around with those mustard seeds?
    taiyaki
  • One time a zen priest stood up and slaped me.

It was the greatest moment of my life.
    how
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I hear you but...
    It was not the slap but the timing. (mustard seeds?)
    Otherwise everyone would be lining up for the "Three Stooges" teaching..
    If Empathy is ignored, many understandings just become heartless and impotent.
  • @suon_of_Dhamma

Asura?
    where is it?
    Out side of you?
    or
    Inside of you?

how can you say what 'asura' think if it is in outside of you?
    Do you have the mind reading power?

if not, it should be in inside of you,
    then
    there are things that you have to do to get rid of 'it'
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited August 2012
    One time a zen priest stood up and slaped me.

It was the greatest moment of my life.
    how said:

I hear you but...
    It was not the slap but the timing. (mustard seeds?)
    Otherwise everyone would be lining up for the "Three Stooges" teaching..
    If Empathy is ignored, many understandings just become heartless and impotent.

I agree I was a bit aggressive. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • upekka said:

@suon_of_Dhamma

Asura?
    where is it?
    Out side of you?
    or
    Inside of you?

how can you say what 'asura' think if it is in outside of you?
    Do you have the mind reading power?

if not, it should be in inside of you,
    then
    there are things that you have to do to get rid of 'it'

It's a real asura living outside of me.
    federica said:

I'm sorry to have been blunt, but really, seeking to attach or define a practical problem, on a spiritual level, just doesn't fit, sometimes.
    Face it - the guy's a jerk, he's disruptive, and you don't like him being there.
    He seems - as far as I can gather - to be there because he's seeing a girl who lives there.

Well, here's the thing: you all need to tell her he is not welcome, nobody wants him there, and if he keeps coming round, she will have to choose between him, and continuing to live there, because you're all fed up with it.

Really - it's a 'human' issue. Deal with it on a 'human' level.

Regardless of bluntness, you are simply not understanding the situation at all. There's nothing mystical about it. He isn't "seeing this girl," she didn't know he was the source of problems until I found out he was there. And due to recent events she herself saw him. Neither of the residents want him here, and neither do I. You say many things but you do not have any real instruction. This isher house, and she doesn't want him here.

Now, I appreciate all the advice given on this topic, but so far there hasn't been any references or experience on instruction to evicting an asura. Let me just say that if you really can't answer to the REAL problem we have, I'm not going to respond to it here.
    Thanks, Son.
  • taiyaki said:

Easy is relative.

If the individual is willing to drop it completely then my suggestion will work.

If not then they will need to construct condition x, y, z. Then they can remedy the problem.

The problem is a construction of mind.

So it all depends.

When it comes down to it, easy is just stopping.

Complaining, asking for advice, thinking, etc are all secondary to just stopping.

When one realizes that all their solutions to their problems are the problem themselves then well you mine as well as bust out in laughter.

Thanks for your Tao. But that's not instructive here and that's what we are looking for. If you offer that I'd really like to talk about it. This is a serious problem and I posted it for the sake of her, me, and the asura.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Is he mystical in the sense of not being a human person? Like a person with arms and legs and a dwelling and job?

Or if he is a person, then who invites him into the house? If it is the girl inviting him, well then she is friends with him even if not 'seeing' him. Are you involved with the girl would be my (intrusive) question.
  • Jeffrey said:

Is he mystical in the sense of not being a human person? Like a person with arms and legs and a dwelling and job?

Or if he is a person, then who invites him into the house? If it is the girl inviting him, well then she is friends with him even if not 'seeing' him. Are you involved with the girl would be my (intrusive) question.

mhm. Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I do say "asura-type person," but rarely do I use cosmology in that personal way.

EVERYONE: this is a real physical asura that is not human, and exists in the asura realm. Needless to say I can see him with the divine eye and that is how I know this.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    You so easily ask for help while dismissing those who try to help. Why wouldn't the asura feel right at home there? You think this karma just popped out of nowhere?
    You ask for practical solutions and then doubt them because low and behold, a problem that was a long time in the making, can't be made to disapear with an asprin.
    You have created an asura friendly home.
    Guess how you change that?
  • how said:

You so easily ask for help while dismissing those who try to help. Why wouldn't the asura feel right at home there? You think this karma just popped out of nowhere?
    You ask for practical solutions and then doubt them because low and behold, a problem that was a long time in the making, can't be made to disapear with an asprin.
    You have created an asura friendly home.
    Guess how you change that?

I haven't dismissed anything you have said so far.
    Nor did I ask for an immediate aspirin solution...
    This is NOT my home, and even before the two residents moved in the asura was surely here. Many responses have been based on assumptions. The reason the assumptions are being made is because I left out details that were irrelevant, because what I'm really looking for is not an aspirin solution, and not some psycho-emotional solution, but one that is actually practical.

I haven't dismissed anything. I simply know what I'm looking for, and in this situation I need experience and references. And yet, not a one person has given their experience on dealing with an unwelcome asura, or cited a reference to dealing with an asura...

1.) That is exactly what I asked for. Nothing mystical about it.
    2.) I've taken all other advice into account and haven't dismissed hardly any posts.

Would you prefer I not be clear about what I'm looking for?
    This is serious, real and I came here for help in the solution. And if anyone else happens to search for this topic it can help them too.
    Pretty straightforward.
    edited August 2012
    I don't get it... So it's not a ghosty type thing? It's a room mate? Maybe that's why this has all gotten so confused? I don't think that because someone is an asshole you can fairly say they're a demon entity. It just sounds a bit far fetched, and kinda mean.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @son_of_dhamma, Perhaps the problem (reason you're not getting solutions) may be that such a thing as being haunted by an asura, or having to get rid of one, haven't been something that's come up before. It really seems to be the same as a ghost in this way does it not? I've certainly never heard of anything like this before. Hauntings aren't something that seem to be within the context of the Buddhist teachings, or in fact any religious teachings, but these "ghosts" seem to be a problem for some people in this world, whatever they are. Calling it an asura would be putting a label on it that really couldn't be specified... how do you know it's an "asura" for sure?
  • RebeccaS said:

I don't get it... So it's not a ghosty type thing? It's a room mate? Maybe that's why this has all gotten so confused? I don't think that because someone is an asshole you can fairly say they're a demon entity. It just sounds a bit far fetched, and kinda mean.

??? a·su·ra/ˈəsərə/
    Noun:
    A member of a class of evil divine beings in the Vedic period.

In several posts I've explained that I'm dealing with a real asura, and not a psycho-spiritual personality type. If you want to regard asuras as ghosty-type things, that's okay.
    edited August 2012
    So "watch Ghostbusters" wouldn't be good advice then? :lol: jk

What did he do that makes you think he's a demon?
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, Perhaps the problem (reason you're not getting solutions) may be that such a thing as being haunted by an asura, or having to get rid of one, haven't been something that's come up before. It really seems to be the same as a ghost in this way does it not? I've certainly never heard of anything like this before. Hauntings aren't something that seem to be within the context of the Buddhist teachings, or in fact any religious teachings, but these "ghosts" seem to be a problem for some people in this world, whatever they are. Calling it an asura would be putting a label on it that really couldn't be specified... how do you know it's an "asura" for sure?

I've seen it and spoken with it, just as I have with other asuras, devas, and even pretas.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @son_of_dhamma, And you think it's something other than in your head? Just saying. People see and hear things all the time that are mind-made and can't tell the difference because that's just the way the mind is, and they'll apply attributes to them based on their beliefs (if you weren't a Buddhist, it might indeed be a ghost). I've heard a lot of lectures from people my brother listens to who speak to aliens (though apparently the aliens lied to them and the world hasn't ended and so on).
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, And you think it's something other than in your head? Just saying. People see and hear things all the time that are mind-made. I've heard a lot of lectures from people my brother listens to who speak to aliens (though apparently the aliens lied to them and the world hasn't ended and so on).

I'm not sure why you would relate this or me to that situation. I mean, what could I say that would prove to you either way if its hallucination or not? I've already indicated that it's a real asura, just like any being. I've already explained that I can see otherwordly beings and communicate with them remedially. I have even shared Dharma with two devas who didn't know it.
  • Cloud said:

(if you weren't a Buddhist, it might indeed be a ghost)

But he said it's not a ghost, it's his room mate.
    son_of_dhamma
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @son_of_dhamma, What you've explained is that you think you can see otherworldly beings and communicate with them, and that it's a real asura to you. Insane people say the same things all the time. Don't prove to us that it's real, because you can't... find out a way to know for yourself if it's truly real or if your mind is playing tricks on you. I mean how can you know in that case? If there's no way to tell you could just as likely, in fact more likely, be suffering from a mental disorder. Or it could be a tumor or something.

If you don't allow yourself the doubt, the possibility that your mind is messed up, that would be what's truly insane (to just accept it without question). This is something you should look into. People with mental disorders generally don't question what they think they hear and see (the insane don't know it), so you owe it to yourself to investigate, perhaps talk to a professional.
  • Oooh, OK, it's not a room mate - it's not human :lol: This is all terribly confusing, and normally I'd just butt out but I'm just fascinated.
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, What you've explained is that you think you can see otherworldly beings and communicate with them, and that it's a real asura to you. Insane people say the same things all the time. Don't prove to us that it's real, because you can't... find out a way to know for yourself if it's truly real or if your mind is playing tricks on you. I mean how can you know in that case? If there's no way to tell you could just as likely, in fact more likely, be suffering from a mental disorder.

I already do. It is not likely that I'm suffering from a mental disorder. Like many, many other normal people I do have a mental disorder which doesn't handicap me.

I'm familiar with it, and it doesn't have anything to do with my perception of divine beings. I'm not trying to prove anything to you, I just meant it seemed like you were suggesting it. I don't think its possible. However I've conversed with many other Buddhists on the topic who are confident that I can, and others around me have indeed found it proven that I can.

So? In any case asuras are real and they do sometimes live in someone's house. This is the topic, not whether or not a person confuses asuras with symptoms of mental disorder.
This discussion has been closed.