Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism And Meditation: Why Most Buddhists In The World Don't Meditate!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Today
I'm actually one of these individuals, while I know the importance of doing it on a consistent bases, it's hard to find time with such a busy western schedule. However, things are changing and I'm getting better with having a more consistent practice. What are your thoughts? Experiences? Practices like Newbuddhist? :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lewis-richmond/most-buddhists-dont-medit_b_1461821.html

Comments

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Oh I admit as well. I just get too distracted. :/
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    B5C said:

Oh I admit as well. I just get too distracted. :/

Life hectic, huh?
  • zsczsc Explorer
    I chant waaay more than I meditate silently. I prefer chanting.
    zsc said:

What type of chanting?
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Life hectic, huh?

Not quite. I am a politics junkie and science junkie. I pass the day with political debates or watch science stuff. :P

• I never meditate! I used to do it every night, but I stopped because I am too tired at night, and I'm busy during the day. But I actually like meditating. I always feel more calm when I do it on a regular basis.
    LeonBasin said:

Life hectic, huh?

Not quite. I am a politics junkie and science junkie. I pass the day with political debates or watch science stuff. :P

AHH! Yes, got it(

I never meditate! I used to do it every night, but I stopped because I am too tired at night, and I'm busy during the day. But I actually like meditating. I always feel more calm when I do it on a regular basis.

Yea, night seems like a great time to settle down and enjoy ones own presence.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Without meditation one doesn't practice Buddhism because one doesn't practice the 8-fold path. So it's really really important.

I've got a hectic life as well, but if you simplify it a bit surely you can make time to meditate. Say half at least half an hour a day, get up a bit earlier and go to bed earlier the night before. Watch less TV, less internet, heck, consider even staying way from NewBuddhist if that provides more time for meditating. When you meditate, generally you also need less sleep, so there is even some compensation there.

Running away from meditation is also running away from yourself.

But if you practice it regularly it becomes the most beautiful thing and a real essential part of life.

federicaDaltheJigsawBeejMinusHumanity
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Without meditation one doesn't practice Buddhism because one doesn't practice the 8-fold path. So it's really really important.
    I agree, though Right Concentration is only 1 of the 8 folds. ;)
  • I disagree with one thing Mister Richmond says in his article. I'd say most Buddhists don't practice formal meditation. Doesn't mean they don't meditate in their practice.

While I came out of the Zen school of Buddhism, I don't do much formal meditation anymore. But I meditate every day. Even in an active life like mine, there are many times with I'm standing still doing nothing but waiting. I pump gas. I stand in line. I sit in a traffic jam. During those times, I can choose to either unhitch the thought and emotion train and let it scream down the tracks (will this line ever move look that sob has way over twelve items can't believe it i'm running late wonder what the wife cooked for supper if that daughter of mine doesn't help clean up the house i'm going to yell at her tonight...) or I can stand or sit quietly, being aware.

People being what they are, I bet in the average zazen hall, probably half the students there spend their hours with the thought train running wild and getting nothing out of it. I've never met nonmeditating Buddhists, but I'd bet a lot of them prepare a meal in a mindful way that would put a zen meditator to shame.

This morning I woke at 4am as usual, the coffee was already finished from the timer set the night before, and I went and sat on the porch and observed the world slumbering. I sat quietly, doing nothing and only being aware of the world, the cup, and the taste of the coffee on my tongue. When the coffee was done I sat for a while longer until the dawn arrived. Then I went and did something else.

But I wasn't practicing meditation. I didn't say, "Now I'm going to sit here and meditate". I just sat quietly, doing nothing, being aware.
    CloudMaryAnneweeirishclare
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012

I agree, though Right Concentration is only 1 of the 8 folds. ;)
    Right mindfulness and right effort are also direct meditation practices. And the rest depends upon them. So one can't really practice a partial path at all.

That's fine, everybody can use Buddhism for what they want. But practicing partially won't give what's possible.

• JimyoJimyo Explorer
    Before I had gained any real understanding of meditation I had this ideal situation in my mind where I would get up at 6am sharp and spending half an hour in complete tranquility focussing my thoughts. In reality I soon realised just how difficult that would be. Passing traffic, lack of an adequate space in my house, there were lots of reasons I struggled. But as @Cinorjer mentioned, there are lots of other forms of meditation than the formal kind and even walking down the road can be used as an amazing way to meditate without encroaching on peoples busy daily routine.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    At 4:00

edited August 2012
    @Sabre
    But practicing partially won't give what's possible.
    Yes, I was just being pedantic. ;)
  • @Sabre

But practicing partially won't give what's possible.
    Yes, I was just being pedantic. ;)

Sabre cut right through your Pedanticality.

:p
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012
    To me claiming that Buddhists who do not do formal meditation -everyday or nearly everyday- are not "real Buddhists" and/or will never attain "enlightenment" is the same as saying Christians who don't attend a mass -everyday- are not 'real Christians' and/or will never get to Heaven.

First of all, it's a judgmental thing to say, because even those who spend great spans of time meditating, perhaps every single day, may be very unskillful and unBuddhist-like, off the cushion. You just don't know...

As for the rigid idea that formal meditation is a MUST DO practice, and the more the better-- I will repeat what I said on another thread, (which I admit was slightly out of context there, because I was commenting on a specific link someone provided):

'I find it difficult to believe Buddha truly envisioned whole cultures or vast numbers of people all withdrawn into themselves seeking enlightenment- while ignoring everything else around them.
    I believe if Buddhism had accomplished this, we would have been stuck in time at whichever point that happened, never to progress or evolve further. What a waste.

This is why I believe it might be better if Buddhism was approached as a culturally ethical & moral way of life, more than strictly a 'religious devotion' unless one is aspiring to actually BE a monk.'

Also, some very devout Christians, Jews and others live their lives well and according to the principles of their faith, without it all being about reaching the 'goal' of Heaven or eternal rewards. I think most cultural Buddhists do the same.

Personally, enlightenment is not my goal... living a good, gentle Buddhist life, with as little damage to my surroundings and myself, and generating as little negative Karma as possible, is my motivation.

I feel one should apply the principles of Buddhism to Life-
    not literally apply one's Life to Buddhism...

just my opinion.
    zsc
  • MaryAnne said:

'I find it difficult to believe Buddha truly envisioned whole cultures or vast numbers of people all withdrawn into themselves seeking enlightenment- while ignoring everything else around them.
    I believe if Buddhism had accomplished this, we would have been stuck in time at whichever point that happened, never to progress or evolve further. What a waste.

These beings are not ignoring everyone else around them.

All of the great masters.. that is what they were doing while they fueled what you've come across today in your lifetime; waste, being a hindrance to all?

Even those that are not at such an enlightened level.. that is what they are doing? Wasting time?

They don't retreat to ignore everybody, they do it so they can further develop so that they may be of maximum benefit to all as opposed to the opposite.

Most beings have a VERY difficult time practicing such things in the mainstream of life.

A person seeking enlightenment is doing the best possible thing for all.

A society seeking enlightenment has nothing to do with being "withdrawn".

American society is withdrawn into self obsession.

An enlightened society would be working together for the benefit of all.

See the difference?

Before enlightenment chop wood, carry water.

After enlightenment chop wood, carry water.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

To me claiming that Buddhists who do not do formal meditation -everyday or nearly everyday- are not "real Buddhists" and/or will never attain "enlightenment" is the same as saying Christians who don't attend a mass -everyday- are not 'real Christians' and/or will never get to Heaven.

First of all, it's a judgmental thing to say, because even those who spend great spans of time meditating, perhaps every single day, may be very unskillful and unBuddhist-like, off the cushion. You just don't know...

As for the rigid idea that formal meditation is a MUST DO practice, and the more the better-- I will repeat what I said on another thread, (which I admit was slightly out of context there, because I was commenting on a specific link someone provided):

This is why I believe it might be better if Buddhism was approached as a culturally ethical & moral way of life, more than strictly a 'religious devotion' unless one is aspiring to actually BE a monk.'

Also, some very devout Christians, Jews and others live their lives well and according to the principles of their faith, without it all being about reaching the 'goal' of Heaven or eternal rewards. I think most cultural Buddhists do the same.

Personally, enlightenment is not my goal... living a good, gentle Buddhist life, with as little damage to my surroundings and myself, and generating as little negative Karma as possible, is my motivation.

I feel one should apply the principles of Buddhism to Life-
    not literally apply one's Life to Buddhism...

just my opinion.

And a very valid opinion it is! Bravo...well said!

I suppose one can say if one doesn't formally meditate one isn't a "real" Buddhist.
    I suppose someone else might say that one who judges the motives and practices of others isn't a "real".
    I suppose someone else might say...

Well, you get the idea. One can make a million judgments about others, but as a few people have reminded me on occasion, it's not about judging others...it's about one's own way on the path...whatever precisely that path may be.

Thanks, Mary Anne!

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I don't know where this idea comes from, I've seen nobody say someone isn't a "real Buddhist".

The Buddha said perhaps now we feel ok with not meditating much, but later we might fall into regret:
    Practice meditation, monks. Don't be heedless. Don't later fall into regret. This is our message to you.
    Which of course doesn't just go for monks. It says monks because monks remembered and passed on the discourses and the lay people generally didn't.
    Sabre said:

I don't know where this idea comes from, I've seen nobody say someone isn't a "real Buddhist".

Perhaps you didn't mean to say, "Without meditation one doesn't practice Buddhism...".

edited August 2012
    @OneLifeForm

I think you are adding a bit more to my words than I intended, or maybe I didn't explain well enough.

I am strictly speaking about formal meditation, and how some people believe that formal meditation (i.e; sitting the cushion, quietly and away from all else) is the ONLY way to reach enlightenment and/or be considered living truly as a "Buddhist" practitioner.

It seems to me that the majority of people who believe this, also believe that it comes down to the more (formal meditation) the better, and their feeling dissatisfied and unhappy about not being able to do it long enough or well enough for a number of reasons.... they become/are firmly attached to their "formal meditation" ideas.

I think (my opinion) that its much more important and productive to incorporate mindfulness /the 8 fold path/precepts etc into one's daily life - into work, school, play, chores, cooking, relationships and so on -- because This is what can make a society as a whole more gentle, more caring, more peaceful and harmonious; rather than obsessing about if one is getting enough personal cushion time in every day, or judging others on how often or long they do or don't meditate.

I'm not saying no one should meditate, I'm not saying that - at all.
    I'm saying it's not the end-all be-all to being a Buddhist. And that being a Buddhist does not necessarily mean focusing on attaining Ultimate Enlightenment above all else 24/7.

Buddhism has survived for thousands of years in many areas of the world, and continues to do so - without the (mostly Western) perceptions and emphasis on "formal" meditation.... But to each his or her own.

I just get a little "prickly" when I hear people say "You don't Sit/meditate? Well then, you're not doing it right and not really a (good) Buddhist practitioner..."

zsc
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

Sabre said:

Perhaps you didn't mean to say, "Without meditation one doesn't practice Buddhism...".

That's what I meant to say, but I see it not degrading, and it's a different statement. I think if there is anything that defines " Buddhism", it's the 8-fold path. If one leaves out certain parts, one isn't really practicing that path in my eyes. Just like one who doesn't care about cultivating right speech doesn't really practice the path imo.

I leave it upto everyone to determine if they feel themself to be Buddhist. I don't feel myself Buddhist, but I feel myself practicing the path, mostly when I'm meditating, not really that much when I'm at work for example.

Again, this is not meant to be degrading, it's to stipulate the importance of meditation, which the Buddha also did often.

With metta!
  • Sabre said:

The Buddha said perhaps now we feel ok with not meditating much, but later we might fall into regret:

Practice meditation, monks. Don't be heedless. Don't later fall into regret. This is our message to you.
    Which of course doesn't just go for monks. It says monks because monks remembered and passed on the discourses and the lay people generally didn't.

Sabre:
    You said in this thread:

"Right mindfulness and right effort are also direct meditation practices. And the rest depends upon them. So one can't really practice a partial path at all.

That's fine, everybody can use Buddhism for what they want. But practicing partially won't give what's possible. "

and:

"Without meditation one doesn't practice Buddhism because one doesn't practice the 8-fold path. So it's really really important."

(all Italics mine)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    If you read closely, you see I'm not pretending to be talking about people, I'm talking about the practice; that's impersonal, you take it to be personal but it's not meant that way.

And what defines a "real Buddhist"? At times when I slack in meditation I also don't feel like I'm practicing the path. Luckily this doesn't happen often. Doesn't really say anything about me being a Buddhist or not though.

But I just cincerely hope I can get some people to think about meditating more because of the incredible value it can have in ones life.
    Sabre said:

vinlyn said:

Sabre said:

That's what I meant to say, but I see it not degrading, and it's a different statement. I think if there is anything that defines " Buddhism", it's the 8-fold path. If one leaves out certain parts, one isn't really practicing that path in my eyes. Just like one who doesn't care about cultivating right speech doesn't really practice the path imo.

I leave it upto everyone to determine if they feel themself to be Buddhist. I don't feel myself Buddhist, but I feel myself practicing the path, mostly when I'm meditating, not really that much when I'm at work for example.

Again, this is not meant to be degrading, it's to stipulate the importance of meditation, which the Buddha also did often.

With metta!
    I'll take you at your word, BUT I guess I'll make a suggestion that you consider the "reasonable person" tenet. In things related to law, there's a concept that often rules strongly -- what would the average, reasonable person think of __________. Perhaps you did not mean it to sound degrading (that might be a strong word), but I think your words...to many people...would sound critical of them.

And I might add, that over time I have known people who meditate a lot, but to me don't act in ways that I think are reasonable for a Buddhist to act. But I still wouldn't say what you said...at least not any longer. I once would have more judgmental.

MaryAnne
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'll take you at your word, BUT I guess I'll make a suggestion that you consider the "reasonable person" tenet. In things related to law, there's a concept that often rules strongly -- what would the average, reasonable person think of __________. Perhaps you did not mean it to sound degrading (that might be a strong word), but I think your words...to many people...would sound critical of them.

And I might add, that over time I have known people who meditate a lot, but to me don't act in ways that I think are reasonable for a Buddhist to act. But I still wouldn't say what you said...at least not any longer. I once would have more judgmental.

Thank you for believing me :) I understand where you are coming from. But let me explain myself.

Just like I would never speak in favour of taking the precepts lightly, I'll not speak in favour (or in flavour) of taking meditation as a side-dish. Because it's really just part and parcel of the practice in my eyes.

So yeah, I'm direct. If that offends anyone in any way, that wasn't intended and I'm sorry, but I don't see it as a reason to change my opinion or how I share it. For my intention is to show the importance I think meditation has. If I'd talk softly about it, the message possibly wouldn't get across. The soft way of explaining yourself is not always the most useful way. Heck, the Buddha didn't even call anyone a "learner" unless they are already in a stage of enlightenment.. so in a way he does say one isn't a Buddhist until then. But I won't go as far.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everybody should have good virtue and good meditation always. We are all where we are. I'm just saying to really practice the 8-fold path, we are required to practice all factors for "practicing partially won't give what's possible".

I hope this explains my point of view and I also hope we can get back to the topic now.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • @MaryAnne : :p

The snippet I quoted from you was what I was responding to.

MaryAnne said: 'I find it difficult to believe Buddha truly envisioned whole cultures or vast numbers of people all withdrawn into themselves seeking enlightenment- while ignoring everything else around them.

I was only commenting on this obvious misconception.

You typed this likely as a result of being prickly.. it is no big deal.

I tend to exaggerate things when I am prickly as well and sometimes say things that really don't make sense.

• @MaryAnne : :p

The snippet I quoted from you was what I was responding to.

MaryAnne said: 'I find it difficult to believe Buddha truly envisioned whole cultures or vast numbers of people all withdrawn into themselves seeking enlightenment- while ignoring everything else around them.

I was only commenting on this obvious misconception.

You typed this likely as a result of being prickly.. it is no big deal.

I tend to exaggerate things when I am prickly as well and sometimes say things that really don't make sense.

I am afraid you are still missing my point and misreading what I said. But that's ok.... I'll move on, it's not that important right now. :)
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited August 2012
    What is meditation?

Is it rather like a chariot with wheels and axles and so on and nothing there to be a chariot?
    edited August 2012
    @Sabre

On other threads, very recently, you said that without formal/sitting meditation, it was very difficult to cultivate Right living off the cushion. You were clear about that. Others were discussing their ways of meditating while doing chores, or for a few minutes here and there throughout their day, being as mindful and skillful as possible while walking, and doing other things in the course of normal activities... and you said in so many words that is not the same as sitting meditation, and therefore not exactly the correct way to follow the path. (I'm paraphrasing)

Wait- Here's one quote:

"I see where you are coming from. But what I think the thing is, mindfulness off the cushion is quite difficult without mindfulness on the cushion. It's like trying to jump far without a run up. It's in the sitting where you really create the impulse for the rest of the day. Not to say that everyday mindfulness isn't useful, it is. But it is never a replacement for sitting meditation. "

I admit I had those other posts in the back of my mind as well, as I read the ones here in this thread. I realize this is your opinion, and what works best for you; and that's great. Nothing wrong with sharing these things, right? :)

But you have to admit that it really is a tad bit judgmental (and lecture-like) when there are no words like "In my opinion" or "For me...what works best is...." "Some people find that...." or "Many people think...." or "I like to do [sitting meditation] because..." etc.
    Because when all is said and done, we are posting in a Buddhist forum, where we are all (well mostly) Buddhists, or interested in Buddhism, and when anyone speaks firmly or in a "direct" manner in criticism of any aspect of Buddhist practices, there are bound to be people who take it 'personally' and wish to defend or explain themselves and their ways. That's just the nature of forums.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Dear @MaryAnne ,

Well, if you see it as judgemental, I can't do anything about that other than saying again that 'm cincerely trying to help and I think it's not wrong to be direct sometimes. The Buddha also very often said "it's like this and that" without being judgemental. He didn't say "In my opinion the noble truths are ..." or something. Now I don't feel comfortable comparing myself to the Buddha, but I think we can use him as an example.

If you read the history of my posts, you'll see that at times I use a very soft approach. But when I think that's not useful, I don't. Like here, I feel like I have to wake people up, shake them around a bit, get them to think a bit more than just sharing opinions. I think there is a good reason why some people feel addressed in particular.

(also if you read carefully you do see I used "I think " in the quote you gave, but ok let's not argue over that)

Also, to me it is like we are discussing if snow is white or green and I should say "others may think it is green, in my opinion it is white". I think everybody who has a cincere daily meditation practice going on thats giving its fruits, will agree on that one.

If my point still isn't clear so beit, I can't make it any clearer. But perhaps others understand. I hope so, because I took all this effort to not to defend myself (I don't really care what others think about me), but also to explain why some teachers are direct and it isn't always the 'kind' ones who are right. For example, Ajahn Chah once kicked a student to learn him a lesson, a lesson he never forgot and is still grateful for until this day on.

And I can admit another reason here is, I don't like to water down the dhamma. The Buddha warned us that a lessening respect for meditation is one of the reasons for the decline of the dhamma. I want to avoid that as much as I can for the benefit of all beings, even if what I do is just a tiny small bit. Because what one can get out of meditation is so amazingly beautiful, everybody should benefit from it.

So there are multiple reasons for me acting the way I did and do, but none of them is being judgemental. I really hope you understand at least one of these reasons. If you still don't, please accept my apologies.

With metta,
    Sabre

edited August 2012
    There have seen posts of yours in other threads that I found interesting and informative and even insightful at times. :) But wow, I can't say the same for this one.

Please, don't apologize, because obviously you are dismissing others' perceptions and elevating what YOU think, and how YOU see things, and they way YOU want to have the rest of us to behave/interact/react way over and above the reality of a conversation covering other points of view.

You need to "help us understand things" and you feel you must "help us follow Buddhism" as Buddha meant it to be followed?

You state: "... I feel like I have to wake people up, shake them around a bit, get them to think a bit more than just sharing opinions. I think there is a good reason why some people feel addressed in particular. "

So, you've become our teacher, not just another voice in a conversation? Really? You're really going to stick to that? Ok, so you're schooling us, then, not just sharing opinions.

"The Buddha also very often said "it's like this and that" without being judgemental. He didn't say "In my opinion the noble truths are ..." or something. Now I don't feel comfortable comparing myself to the Buddha, but I think we can use him as an example. " (italics mine)

No, I don't think any of us can or should compare ourselves - or use the Buddha as an example....

Honestly, Sabre I really do 'get' where you are coming from. I do. I often find myself wanting people to see things in other ways, trying to get them to view situations, opinions, and circumstances from other perspectives, I get that.

However, I try to get others to see a broader, varied and more extended view; even if it's not my personal perspective...-- and I think that's quite a bit different than trying to get others to chisel their views down to a singular, narrow/er point of view which, in the end, is the same as mine.

Peace.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Let's just say we have different approaches here.

You try to get people have a broader prespective, I try to get them to see what I honestly belief is beneficial for them. That way I obviously can't please everybody, especially on topics that apparently are a bit sensitive, but ok. That's the way it is.

But it's not judgemental, that's just how it seems to you. I could also take your post to be very judgemental towards me, but I don't, even though it adresses me personally.

Let's now get back to the topic please, I think this is getting out of hand.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    To try and get back on topic, here is what the Dhammapada has to say.
    There is no concentration without wisdom
    There is no wisdom without concentration
    But for one with both concentration and wisdom
    They are in the presence of nirvana

- Dhammapada 372
    With respect to MaryAnne I will try to be a bit less direct, while still sharing my view and not shying away from being a bit controversial.

I think the above true because without stilling the mind to a deep level, we don't really see what is going on. By not seeing what is going on, we can't know what is benefical for us and what is not. We don't know what really is producive to happiness and what is not. Other way around, we can't really still the mind if we don't know how to handle it.

But when we do practice wisdom and concentration (I prefer to translate it as tranquility), we learn how to get the mind in mindstates that are more and more pleasant. We don't get dragged along with our emotions, can quite easily get out of mindstates that we don't like, and into those we like (which are far superior to any sensual pleasures), and can stop thoughts we don't want to think, or stop thinking at all. (no, that's not negative, that's nice! :D) Also when we learn to tranquilize the mind, we can let go of pains in the body which is very useful ability especially for when we are ill. All of this in my experience is only possible after a regular sitting practice. But the results of this sitting practice will reflect into our everyday life, so it's certainly worth it.

But the most important one: If we see deep into the mind, we loose the fear of death because we can see there is no such thing. I don't see how things like that can be done intellectually or by a general mindfulness, but I do see how it can be done through a daily sitting practice. And it's not just about ourselves. If we learn to understand ourselves, we understand others as well.

It's these kind of things that make Buddhism really stand out from a lot of other approaches to life. And so that's why the Buddha taught meditation as an important aspect of the path, not just in this quote but in general.

I do advise everybody to try and set up a regular practice to achieve these beautiful results -or even more beautiful ones-. And as a more short term wish, I hope to have gotten the topic back on track! ;)

Kindness!
    Sabre
  • Oh don't worry about little ol' me. I can take it. ;)

One can absolutely speak "directly" without being judgmental or condescending. But I see both in your posts. Direct speaking can be done diplomatically as well. But I don't see much of that in your posts.
    You say you can't be bothered worrying about talking down to others or veering off the 'right speech' path because... pffft!... bottom line is- it's more important to get your point across and tell others what's best for them, Ok...

Let's do be direct.
    Just because you honestly believe you know what is best for someone/others, does not give you the 'right' to criticize them or their ways. Because no matter if you are right, you're criticizing because you are judging them according to your own standard or viewpoint, which of course you believe is above theirs.

I ever-so-gently suggest you meditate on the idea of "helping others through criticism- even when they don't ask for help" and see what you come up with.

Peace. Truly.

• From the OP, sitting in a formal posture on a cushion is not actually meditation—and most Asian Buddhists don't sit on a cushion like Westerners do who believe such a practice is meditation. Real meditation is much more difficult—and posture-less. It is hyper-subtle. The average Buddhist is not cut out to do, for example, cittasya ekâgratâ (one-pointed concentration of mind). Nor does the average Buddhist understand dhyâna and its various levels of attainment (samâpatti). Meditation can also include the use of mantras and visualizations.
    zsc
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @MaryAnne,

Let's just go on ahead with the topic.

And let me say that I really respect everobody who tries to improve their mind in anyway. Maybe you would understand if you met me in real life.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Yes let's please move on from a personal back-and-forth.
    Sabre
    From the OP, sitting in a formal posture on a cushion is not actually meditation—and most Asian Buddhists don't sit on a cushion like Westerners do who believe such a practice is meditation. Real meditation is much more difficult—and posture-less. It is hyper-subtle. The average Buddhist is not cut out to do, for example, cittasya ekâgratâ (one-pointed concentration of mind). Nor does the average Buddhist understand dhyâna and its various levels of attainment (samâpatti). Meditation can also include the use of mantras and visualizations.
    Yes, jhana is difficult to attain, but it's likely to be easier "on the cushion". And more generally if we're talking about developing more skillful qualities of mind, that is likely to be easier done sitting down with minimal distraction - at least initially. I don't know what Asian Buddhists do, but IMO it isn't particularly relevant to western Buddhism.
  • Gom is the word in Tibetan that Americans have translated meditation out of.

I've heard that meditation.. among many other words don't really convey the original Tibetan language properly. Such is a problem with translation.

Gom basically means to have gotten used to (meditation). Kind of like past tense.. Dzogchen master saying, "What need is there to meditate?" (They've finished with that)

They are in a state of constant meditation even though it is not meditation because meditation implies that one has not gotten used to being in that natural state..

There are quite a few out there that have attained that.

For somebody who is not in rigpa 24/7 I feel that one must have a consistent meditation practice to achieve such...

as was explained in the jhana video earlier in this thread.

The lady in the video explained that if you're not going forward with such efforts than you are going backward.

One day out of every week for a random sitting session isn't really going to give much benefit.

She also explained how people justify not having a meditation schedule.

Justification/frustration/anger in regards to such a topic points out the obvious.

zsc
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Meditation works. It does something for you if you do it mindfully. If you aren't meditating you might be making excuses not to. I just spent the past three weeks making excuses (one of those excuses is newbuddhist.com) not to meditate and then I started again a few days ago. It was hard to start up again even after only three weeks! But it was because I was avoiding something. And that something was me! And it's not been totally pretty or soothing or insightful to meditate over the past couple of days.... in fact I think I am having an initial adverse reaction to it, but I'm trying to make an omlette here....

I'm starting to crack something open again and I see it as completely necessary for my practice. I'm not passing a judgement on anybody else who isn't meditating, but maybe you are just avoiding cracking open your own egg. Positive intention is great, but positive action is better.
    SabreRebeccaS
  • zsczsc Explorer
    LeonBasin said:

zsc said:

What type of chanting?
    Either pure land, nichiren, or om mani padma hum. And of course whatever my sangha chants.
    DaltheJigsaw
    edited August 2012
    One day out of every week for a random sitting session isn't really going to give much benefit.
    It's like deciding to get fit and then not doing any physical exercise.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2012

It's like deciding to get fit and then not doing any physical exercise.

What benefit?

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here a bit. There are a million monks and hardcore Zen meditators out there who spend a good part of their lives sitting on the floor gazing at their belly button. As far as I can see, the only result is, they've gotten really, really good at sitting on the floor gazing at their belly button.

If it's just the physical effects of lowered blood pressure and stress, you can get the same effect from moderate exercise or a relaxing hobby.

So why meditate? What are you trying to do that is worth all that wasted time? Convince me I shouldn't be better off doing something constructive with my time like read a book.

I open the floor to comments.
    MaryAnnevinlynzsc
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    We can't convince you, only you can convince you. Of course the only thing you see is another person on the outside, but meditation is about what's happening inside. The results I gave before in another post here, are possible and well worth the effort, but you won't be convinced by it until you get a taste of it yourself.
  • Proselytizing. Buddhist evangelism. My/This way is the Only way.

here's a thought- if meditation is about what's happening on the inside... (as you said, and I agree) why can't you/we acknowledge that you/we don't know what's going on - on the inside- when others are 'meditating' their way- while doing chores, walking, or listening to music, etc?
    One person may formally sit for hours a day, and one person may simply calm their mind and contemplate for a few minutes - 15 times a day.

Who's to say what will and won't work for them?

vinlyn
  • Cloud said:

Yes let's please move on from a personal back-and-forth.

With all due respect, honestly- please don't shut down the conversation. Sabre has a very definite, strong opinion, and so do I. I'm not 'attacking' anyone, I'm not attacking Sabre personally. I'm only putting my strong opinion up against Sabre's strong opinion. Might change someone's mind, might not. Either way is ok.

vinlyn
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I wouldn't call "we can't convince you" evangelism, in fact that's quite the opposite.

One reason why I try to help is because all people I spoke to who meditate often seem to share some of the same benefits. Also if you learn about your own mind, you see how it applies to other minds as well, because people are not that different. The differences are only at the surface.

Also I did do less meditation and I know the beneficial effects it can have - I never said it doesn't work in any way -, but I also know that really getting deep can have much better effects and I wish everybody to have such experiences.

I'm getting a bit tired of explaining this again and again, I'm not judging or critisizing people. So if you can't see my posts as a sincere intention to help instead, may I ask you to please stop responding in this way? Or otherwise I will from now on. I hope you understand.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    To everybody, here is a nice story:

http://buddhism4nirvana.blogspot.nl/2011/06/worm-and-his-lovely-pile-of-dung.html
    Some people simply don’t want to be free from trouble. If they haven’t got enough problems of their own to worry about, then they tune into television soapies to worry about fictional character’s problems. Many take anxiety to be stimulating; they regard what is suffering to be good fun. They don’t want to be happy, because they are too attached to their burdens.
    2 monks had been close friends all their life. After they dies, one was reborn a deva (a heavenly being) in a beautiful heaven world, while his friend was reborn as a worm in a pile of dung.
    The deva soon began to miss his old friend and wondered where he’d been reborn. He couldn’t find his friend anywhere in this own heaven world, so he looked in all the other heaven realms too. His friend wasn’t there. Using his heavenly powers, the deva searched the world of human beings but couldn’t find his friend there either. Surely, he thought, his friend wouldn’t have taken rebirth in the animal realms, but he checked there just in case. Still there was no sign of his friend from the previous life. So, next, the deva searched the world of what we call the “creepy – crawlies” and, to his great surprise, there the found his friend reborn as a worm in a disgusting pile of stinking dung!
    The bonds of friendship are so strong that they often outlast death. The deva felt he had to rescue his old companion from such an unfortunate rebirth, no matter what karma had let to it. So the deva appeared in front of the foul pile of dung and called out, “Hey, worm! Do you remember me? We were monks together in our past life and you were my best friend, you’ve been reborn in this revolting pile of cow – shit. Don’t be worried, though, because I can take you to heaven with me. Come on, old friend!’
    “Hang on a moment!” said the worm, “What’s so great about this “heaven world” you are twittering on about? I’m very happy there with my fragrant, delicious pile of delectable dung, thank you very much.”
    “You don’t understand,” said the deva, and he gave the worm a brilliant description of the delights and pleasures of heaven. “Is there any dung up there, then?” asked the worm, getting to the point.
    “Of course not!” sniffed the deva.
    “Then I am not going!” replied the worm firmly. “Nick off!”
    And the worm burrowed into the center of the dung pile. The deva thought that if only the worm could see heaven for himself, then he would understand. So the deva held his nose and thrust his soft hand into the repulsive pile of dung, searching for the worm. He found him and began to pull him out. “Hey! Leave me alone!” screamed the worm. “Help! May day! I’m being worm – napped!” and the little slippery worm wriggled and squirmed till he got free, then he dived back into the dung pile to hide.
    The kind deva plunged his fingers into the stinking faeces again, found the worm and tried once more to the pull him out. The deva almost got the worm out, but because the worm caped a second time and hi even deeper in the dung pile, One 108 times the deva tried to lead the poor worm out from his miserable dung pile, but the worm was so attached to his lovely pile of dung that he always wriggled back!
    So, eventually, the deva had to go back up to heaven and leave the foolish worm to his “lovely pile of dung”. Thus ends the 108 stories told in this book.