Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Isn't the body the real problem?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Buddhism focuses too much on the mind, that an untamed mind is a problem etc. etc. but isn't the real problem the body? Not only because of physical problems like diseases and aches, but even mental problems are due to chemical imbalances in the brain. In short, even so called mental and emotional problems like stress, depression, anxiety are due to the body.

That being the case, why focus on the mind? Isn't flesh the real problem?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    You can't really separate the mind and body in order to say one is the problem and the other isn't. It's all the problem. We can't escape disease, suffering and death, and more than this we find things pleasurable and unpleasurable and so are always seeking pleasure and avoiding pain. Life isn't satisfactory on any level the way we live it (the way we relate to it, as self and other, mine and not-mine etc.), and it's not an issue of just body or just mind, but both.

"Mind" is where we see all the interactions, all the craving, all the suffering. It's "experience"... and that, right there, is where we recognize the problem and abandon its cause. It's not something we do with the body. It doesn't matter what we do to the body, that won't solve our problems.
    MaryAnneJeffrey
  • edited August 2012
    I am not dividing it. On the contrary, I am saying since mind is part of the body, we should consider only the body as the problem. Body includes mind.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    All of our suffering is not bodily. We suffer because we desire. These desires are tied up with the greater world as well as wanting the body to not experience aging and death and so on. We can't consider the body to be the problem, because it's only "part" of the problem.

Taking your logic (of not dividing "it"), since the "body" is part of the "world", really the entire world is the problem. And that's actually the truth of it! All of conditioned existence is suffering. The "world" is suffering.

Body includes brain, but "mind" is experience itself. It's relating to the world, it's craving, it's suffering, it's all of that... it depends on the body, on the brain, on sense data, but it's speaking about the experiences themselves and how we relate to the world. If we turn our focus away from this, we'll think there's something we can do to the body to alleviate our suffering. This is how things like asceticism came into play, where people would starve themselves and torture the body. This doesn't alleviate suffering. That's foolishness. It's only in the mind that suffering arises, and only there we can alleviate it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    The body is in the mind, is created by the mind. And nomatter how healthy your body, the mind can still be suffering.
    CloudToshsova
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Sabre, You said it better in two sentences than all that crap I spewed. :D
    sova
  • It is ego grasping that causes suffering, or how we react to what is. The body is not a problem, never that. It enables us to enjoy our precious human life, allows consciousness to experience itself through the world by being. How can that be a problem unless we make it one?

I'm reminded of the Woody Allen joke about two old ladies eating in a restaurant. One says, "You know the food here is really terrible." The other replies, "I know. And such small portions."
    tmottessova
  • You might find Goenka-style meditation interesting. I don't know much about it, but it focuses on bodily sensations. You're still supposed to be aware of mental sensations, but you don't make them the object of attention. I don't fully understand this, but presumably it is explained in Goenka's teachings on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.
  • Music:

The psycho-physical organism is suffering according to the Buddha (S.iii.158). The mental components of the psycho-physical body are feeling, perception, habitual tendencies, and sensory consciousness. Consciousness, the most subtle, interfaces with the biological body (rupa), the first component, and the mental components (even with itself but as sensory/pluralized consciousness).

Were consciousness not to interface with the psycho-physical body there would be no suffering. The problem is, we cannot distinguish the psycho-physical system from pure consciousness or, the same, pure mind,. We thus remain attached to a system of suffering with apparently no means of escape.

The real problem as the Buddha sees it is our inability to liberate our mind from the psycho-physical organism.
    Nek777person
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    music said:

I am not dividing it. On the contrary, I am saying since mind is part of the body, we should consider only the body as the problem. Body includes mind.

If body includes mind, then mind includes body. Maybe we should just call the whole shooting match "banana" so that there would be less confusion, separation, unification and so forth.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Before Buddha Shakyamuni was Buddha Shakyamuni he was an ascetic

with a similar idea

torture the $*@%* out of the body (his "ascetic" phase), since that's the only "real" tether, right?

I've heard it's not recommended, "does not lead to unbinding"

Instead he suggests the Middle Way. Not super indulgent, not super self-torturous/ascetic,

but somewheres in the middle.

Because really, you are not just Mind and you are not just Body, and as @genkaku very kindly pointed out, you can't have one without the other. "A body without a mind is a corpse" as I've heard eloquently put.

strive for balance =]
    Nek777
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited August 2012
    " There is no sickness; there are only sick people" ( Mircea Eliade )

Stress, depression, anxiety are not ALWAYS the direct result of bodily functions, but are the result of your thought process ( the mind is a very vague concept for me ), which is a part of your brain's functions. The brain's functions are influenced by this thought process in some measure, meaning that, if an outside stimulus is associated with danger and or possibility of failure, your brain gives you stress and the rest. Oh, and by this associations, your brain puts in motion an entire chain of systems that, on the long term, affects other systems (see stress induced afflictions ) .

On the other hand, those bad emotions could be the result of your body...but that happens when you have serious hormonal disorders ( that could be partially or entirely treated with medicine ).

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The Buddha, and others who have become enlightened, do not suffer due to bodily pain, aging, hot or cold, the thought of death, nothing... so it's not the body. The body's "issues" are transcended by the power of mind. That alone should be enough to see it's not an issue of body.
    MaryAnneperson
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The problem is the 5 aggregates, which includes the body and the mind. The way to overcome clinging to the 5 aggregates, is done by enlightening the mind since it is the mind, not the body, that clings. To overcome clinging, which is what produces suffering, you must stop your mind from clinging. :) The real problem, is the mind that clings to the body as well as the other components of the 5 aggregates. The real problem is clinging. :)
    sova
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

The Buddha, and others who have become enlightened, do not suffer due to bodily pain, aging, hot or cold, the thought of death, nothing... so it's not the body. The body's "issues" are transcended by the power of mind. That alone should be enough to see it's not an issue of body.

They do, actually. Since aging and sickness are suffering, even the Buddha was suffering bodily.

So both body and mind are the problem here, but only in the mind can we fix something. So that's where we need to do the work. That's why you'll rarely if ever see a monk doing push ups instead of meditation.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Sabre, But why is it suffering, if you no longer suffer from it (no longer find it unpleasant or bothersome)? It's not. These are just conditioned phenomena changing... nothing more. That's only suffering when you're attached to conditioned phenomena, when you identify them as self and other. Ajahn Chah used to receive pity because of his sickness and old age, and he'd respond "why do you assume I am suffering?" and go on to explain that he did not suffer from these things. The mind is where all suffering arises, and so right there is where all suffering ceases. It doesn't matter what happens to the body, or what sensations are received by the senses, the mind is still and peaceful.

This is something that I don't think many can fully appreciate, that even bodily suffering is overcome by enlightenment. It's the same as hearing a sound you don't like... except removing your aversion to the sound. You no longer suffer from experiencing that sound. The body is related to in just this not-self way, just as if it were a sound or a sight or a smell. Its pain is experienced without aversion and let go in every moment as if it were nothing special, "suffering" does not arise. It's all just the yapping of birds, nothing to be concerned about.

The Four Noble Truths are not about eliminating "most" suffering in life, and then having to die to have the rest removed. It's about eliminating all suffering, which only arises when there's craving, and ceases when craving has been uprooted by wisdom. It may be a subtlety that takes time to appreciate since it's the fact we don't know the Four Noble Truths that we suffer... enlightenment is coming closer and closer to true Right View of the Four Noble Truths, with perfect right view being Nirvana.
    poptartMaryAnne
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Pain is still pain. To be enlightened doesn't change the bodily part of it, that's still painful. The mind can't just take that away. Of course the mental response is unagitated, but to say there is no suffering left is underestimating the suffering of having a body. A body which will inevitably die and so from another perspective is also suffering. (impermanent = suffering)

So yeah, the body is a problem. The Buddha called it a disease, a cancer for a reason. But it's not the only problem of course. As you said, the real problem is clinging.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    But pain is just a sensation, just like a pleasant feeling. It's only suffering because we're averse to it... some people actually like pain. Would you call it suffering in that case? This all comes back to the mind and how we relate to the world. It's not suffering if we don't suffer. It's just change... nothing special; it's not suffering because we have no aversion and we're not clinging either. An enlightened one neither likes nor dislikes pain, it's just a temporary sensation that doesn't belong to anyone.

This either makes sense or it doesn't, but it's still true. The Four Noble Truths isn't about overcoming most suffering but not all, and it specifically attributes all suffering to craving, and Nirvana is the cessation of all craving/suffering.

You just have to stop thinking of things like "pain" as being bad. Good and bad are liking and disliking, and enlightenment is beyond such discriminatory experience. It's all feathers in the wind. Take away "me" and "my body", and take away all aversion, and what has pain become? Nothing, just a sensation like any sensation. It's not inherently suffering, it's only suffering when it's ours and we find it unpleasant.

We have to listen foremost to enlightened people about this... if they say they are not suffering from bodily pain and illness, we have to first accept their words (they would know) as true and then try to understand why. It'll come to us, given time (we're moving toward perfecting "Right View" of the Four Noble Truths, that's what the Path is about). I think that's about all I wanna say about this, it's something hard to grasp methinks. :D

Perhaps @Jason might have some information on this, he's usually very well informed.
  • Here is something to think about.

Human beings primarily involve themselves in the left brain conceptual processes.

I listened to a talk about Reggie Ray speaking about how we move from left brain dominance to right brain and the somatic. The somatic being the body.

So according to Vajrayana the seat of enlightenment is the body.

And enlightenment brings one back exactly to this body, with the heart and all the sensations. It is utterly empty, yet the luminous clarity unceasingly manifests.

But here is something I wrote in my journal:

"Peace, joy, openness, clarity, etc. These are all delicious.

But may we also disturb the peace, be closed off, muddy the clarity.

Feel anger, fear, tiredness, depression, etc.

We must never deny our humanity. We must not fear getting dirty again.

Because tell you what. Life will always present itself. Reality is infinite potential. We must integrate all that we reject as the display of our luminous nature and through emptiness we survive.

And I want to assert that true freedom lies in just being human. Beyond samsara and nirvana, no where to dwell. Yet playing in the murky waters of samsara and being free in the vastness of nirvana.

As Dogen asserted, "Enlightenment is intimacy with all things."

All things."

Practice and find out for yourself. In my practice the body has been quite the ally and in fact everything has been useful.
    Silouanpoptart
  • fivebells said:

You might find Goenka-style meditation interesting. I don't know much about it, but it focuses on bodily sensations. You're still supposed to be aware of mental sensations, but you don't make them the object of attention. I don't fully understand this, but presumably it is explained in Goenka's teachings on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.

Isn't Goenka a cult leader?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Cloud said:

You say suffering lies in the way we look at things, not in pain itself, because it's just a sensation. Of course a big part of suffering is there, but look from a broader perspective, death, sickness and also pain are still there. So the big problem of suffering the Buddha was facing still was there in a way, although it was the last time. As you probably know there is the nirvana after death that is the real final goal, not so much nirvana while alive. The final nirvana is where all suffering ends and the problems are solved forever.

If you meditate and take mental reaction away from pain, there is still pain. It is 10 times weaker and doesn't agitate, but it is still pain. It's not the end of suffering. Sensations themselves can also be suffering, nomatter how we respond to it. As long as those sensations aren't satisfying, we could call them suffering.

So let's listen to some enlightened ones ;)
    "Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones (an enlightened one), when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html
    "Now what, friends, is the noble truth of stress? Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; association with the unbeloved is stressful; separation from the loved is stressful; not getting what is wanted is stressful. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.

"And what is pain? Whatever is experienced as bodily pain, bodily discomfort, pain or discomfort born of bodily contact, that is called pain.

"And what is distress? Whatever is experienced as mental pain, mental discomfort, pain or discomfort born of mental contact, that is called distress.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.141.than.html
    So when enlightened, mental pain is gone, but bodily pain is not. But all that can be done is done. After death, the last bits of suffering will also end.
    FullCirclesova
  • Suffering can be a blessing, if it brings us closer to awakening.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

fivebells said:

You might find Goenka-style meditation interesting. I don't know much about it, but it focuses on bodily sensations. You're still supposed to be aware of mental sensations, but you don't make them the object of attention. I don't fully understand this, but presumably it is explained in Goenka's teachings on the Four Foundations of Mindfulness.

No. :) Goenka is just a layperson Vipassana meditation teacher who founded an organization of meditation centers, that has become large and popular around the world. They teach authentic Buddhist meditation. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @Sabre, Our understandings of the Four Noble Truths are just different. My understanding is that the entirety of the First Noble Truth as a problem (suffering) is overcome by the Third Noble Truth, and Nirvana is the complete cessation of craving and suffering. Not Pari-Nirvana. The goal is never said to be Pari-Nirvana. When Ajahn Chah pointedly told his students that he did not suffer from his old age and debilitating sickness, he wasn't joking but trying to show them just this fact which they failed to see. All of these things are still experienced by the enlightened mind, but not "as" suffering. Why would getting old bother a Buddha? Why would death bother a Buddha? These things are not inherently suffering, nor is pain. Our very worldly understanding of pain is one of suffering, because pain is always suffering to us. The enlightened mind does not attach to either pleasant or unpleasant sensations as such; the very word "pain" needs to be abandoned and replaced with "unpleasant sensation", and then the "unpleasant" further needs removed because all such aversion is absent from the enlightened mind. You're left with "sensation" by process of elimination.

As I said, I think this is something hard to grasp. I'd rather trust the word of a living Buddha (well, he was) when he says he doesn't experience suffering from such things. Unbound consciousness simply does not suffer; it experiences without allowing suffering to arise at any point. Enlightenment is beyond pleasure and pain, life and death, fame and gain, praise and blame, all such worldly concerns... it's only worldly existence, conditioned existence, that Dukkha applies to.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think we won't find more reliable material than the suttas ;) To me the above quotes are pretty clear. If we have to rely on anyones enlightenment, it's the Buddha's and other enlightened ones in the suttas. But we can never know for sure who is enlightened and who is not (apart from ourselves), so that's no good ground for argument, but also teachers like Ajahn Brahmavamso state after enlightenment there is still bodily suffering.

But you have to make one clear distinction. If you ask questions like "is pain suffering to you" you already get a step too far. Because that's forgetting non-self. Suffering is impersonal. It happens without happening TO anyone. So one can't bother and still suffering exists. And so suffering is not bad. I've not used the word bad, that's what you made of it. ;) But just to clarify, I also did not intent that.

Now often nibbana and parinibbana are synonyms and they are mutually connected. So if you have one, you have the other. But here is one clear example of when it is said final nirvana is the end goal. So it may not be apparent from all suttas, but to say it's nowhere is wrong.
    "The holy life is lived under the Blessed One, my friend, for the sake of total Unbinding (parinibbana) through lack of clinging."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.024.than.html
    If we look at dependent origination, we see everything cessates, not just clinging. Also death cessates. Now the Buddha still had to die, so obviously the process of cessation wasn't finished yet, so we can't just assume all suffering was finished. That's how deep suffering is inherent to life and that's why I keep getting back to it, I think it's import

edit: I see you've edited your post quite extensively, but I leave my reply as it is :)
  • @Sabre, Irreconcilable differences. We'll just agree to disagree, I see even the suttas/sutras differently than you do. :D
  • I'm not trying to get a reconciliation. :) I think it's fine to discuss without trying to convince anyone. Perhaps we're just planting some seeds. I'm sure most Buddhists assume when you are enlightened there is no more suffering. And at first sight that looks pretty obvious and desirable. But if my posts do anything, at least it makes people reconsider their assumption. They may still come back to the same conclusion and that's fine. Because obviously the only thing to get people to really reconcile with whatever, is their own insights.

So I agree to disagree fullheartedly :D

Metta!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    And of course I think just the opposite, that most Buddhists wouldn't understand (or find it in any way obvious) that things like pain and death are not "inherently" suffering. So... yeah. :D Namaste!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    At least all dhamma brothers and sisters agree there is suffering in the general sense. A lot of people outside of Buddhism don't see that or don't wish to see it, or see it but don't think they can do anything about it. Whether all suffering is all allayed at enlightenment is a detail.
  • @Sabre and @Cloud I have enjoyed reading your posts on this topic. They have been well thought out and respectful.

The benefit I I get out of this conversation (the seeds so to speak), is that I am in no position to understand (from an experiential perspective) such a subtle concept right now. I definitely need to continue my practice and when I reach that point I will let you know which one was right :)
    CloudSabre
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Cloud said:

But pain is just a sensation, just like a pleasant feeling. It's only suffering because we're averse to it... some people actually like pain. Would you call it suffering in that case? This all comes back to the mind and how we relate to the world. It's not suffering if we don't suffer. It's just change... nothing special; it's not suffering because we have no aversion and we're not clinging either. An enlightened one neither likes nor dislikes pain, it's just a temporary sensation that doesn't belong to anyone.

This either makes sense or it doesn't, but it's still true. The Four Noble Truths isn't about overcoming most suffering but not all, and it specifically attributes all suffering to craving, and Nirvana is the cessation of all craving/suffering.

You just have to stop thinking of things like "pain" as being bad. Good and bad are liking and disliking, and enlightenment is beyond such discriminatory experience. It's all feathers in the wind. Take away "me" and "my body", and take away all aversion, and what has pain become? Nothing, just a sensation like any sensation. It's not inherently suffering, it's only suffering when it's ours and we find it unpleasant.

We have to listen foremost to enlightened people about this... if they say they are not suffering from bodily pain and illness, we have to first accept their words (they would know) as true and then try to understand why. It'll come to us, given time (we're moving toward perfecting "Right View" of the Four Noble Truths, that's what the Path is about). I think that's about all I wanna say about this, it's something hard to grasp methinks. :D

Perhaps @Jason might have some information on this, he's usually very well informed.

Great discussion, everyone. I don't have much time before I leave, but I think you both make some interesting and valid points. My general take, however, is this:

The first noble truth states that, in short, the five clinging-aggregate (panca-upadana-khandha) are dukkha (SN 56.11), i.e., it's the clinging in reference to the aggregates that's dukkha, not the aggregates themselves. And according to the commentaries, dukkha is defined as 'that which is hard to bear.'

So while the Buddha did include both mental and physical pain in his description of dukkha, sickness and physical pain are not necessarily experienced as dukkha, especially by an arahant, i.e., a person whose mind is free of defilement. With the presence of clinging in regard to the five aggregates, bodily phenomena such as sickness and physical pain are experienced as suffering; however, without the presence of clinging, the experience of bodily phenomena such as sickness and physical pain aren't experienced as suffering, i.e., they're no longer 'difficult to bear.'

In other words, although nibbana — the summum bonum of Buddhism — is said to be the cessation of suffering, that doesn't mean that a person won't feel physical pain or discomfort, but it does mean that such feelings will no longer cause mental suffering, emotional distress, etc. I think this is made clear in the simile of the dart found in SN 36.6:
    "An untaught worldling, O monks, experiences pleasant feelings, he experiences painful feelings and he experiences neutral feelings. A well-taught noble disciple likewise experiences pleasant, painful and neutral feelings. Now what is the distinction, the diversity, the difference that exists herein between a well-taught noble disciple and an untaught worldling?

"When an untaught worldling is touched by a painful (bodily) feeling, he worries and grieves, he laments, beats his breast, weeps and is distraught. He thus experiences two kinds of feelings, a bodily and a mental feeling. It is as if a man were pierced by a dart and, following the first piercing, he is hit by a second dart. So that person will experience feelings caused by two darts. It is similar with an untaught worldling: when touched by a painful (bodily) feeling, he worries and grieves, he laments, beats his breast, weeps and is distraught. So he experiences two kinds of feeling: a bodily and a mental feeling.

"Having been touched by that painful feeling, he resists (and resents) it. Then in him who so resists (and resents) that painful feeling, an underlying tendency of resistance against that painful feeling comes to underlie (his mind). Under the impact of that painful feeling he then proceeds to enjoy sensual happiness. And why does he do so? An untaught worldling, O monks, does not know of any other escape from painful feelings except the enjoyment of sensual happiness. Then in him who enjoys sensual happiness, an underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feelings comes to underlie (his mind). He does not know, according to facts, the arising and ending of these feelings, nor the gratification, the danger and the escape, connected with these feelings. In him who lacks that knowledge, an underlying tendency to ignorance as to neutral feelings comes to underlie (his mind). When he experiences a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling or a neutral feeling, he feels it as one fettered by it. Such a one, O monks, is called an untaught worldling who is fettered by birth, by old age, by death, by sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. He is fettered by suffering, this I declare.

"But in the case of a well-taught noble disciple, O monks, when he is touched by a painful feeling, he will not worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. It is one kind of feeling he experiences, a bodily one, but not a mental feeling. It is as if a man were pierced by a dart, but was not hit by a second dart following the first one. So this person experiences feelings caused by a single dart only. It is similar with a well-taught noble disciple: when touched by a painful feeling, he will no worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. He experiences one single feeling, a bodily one.

"Having been touched by that painful feeling, he does not resist (and resent) it. Hence, in him no underlying tendency of resistance against that painful feeling comes to underlie (his mind). Under the impact of that painful feeling he does not proceed to enjoy sensual happiness. And why not? As a well-taught noble disciple he knows of an escape from painful feelings other than by enjoying sensual happiness. Then in him who does not proceed to enjoy sensual happiness, no underlying tendency to lust for pleasant feelings comes to underlie (his mind). He knows, according to facts, the arising and ending of those feelings, and the gratification, the danger and the escape connected with these feelings. In him who knows thus, no underlying tendency to ignorance as to neutral feelings comes to underlie (his mind). When he experiences a pleasant feeling, a painful feeling or a neutral feeling, he feels it as one who is not fettered by it. Such a one, O monks, is called a well-taught noble disciple who is not fettered by birth, by old age, by death, by sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. He is not fettered to suffering, this I declare.

"This, O monks, is the distinction, the diversity, the difference that exists between a well-taught noble disciple and an untaught worldling."
    Hope that's helpful. Any questions and/or further discussion on my part will have to wait until I come back from my road trip. :)
    Cloud
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @Jason, That's very helpful, thanks for chiming in. :) I was beginning to think I was the only one...

Have fun on your road trip!
  • [Ven. Adhimutta:]
    There are no painful mental states, chieftain,
    in one without longing.
    In one whose fetters are ended,
    all fears are overcome.
    With the ending of [craving]
    the guide to becoming,
    when phenomena are seen
    for what they are,
    then just as in the laying down of a burden,
    there's no fear in death.

I've lived well the holy life,
    well-developed the path.
    Death holds no fear for me.
    It's like the end of a disease.

One gone to the far shore
    without clinging
    without effluent
    his task completed,
    welcomes the ending of life,
    as if freed from a place of execution.
    Having attained the supreme Rightness,
    unconcerned with all the world,
    as if released from a burning house,
    he doesn't sorrow at death.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/thag/thag.16.01.than.html
  • seeker242 said:

RebeccaS said:

fivebells said:

No. :) Goenka is just a layperson Vipassana meditation teacher who founded an organization of meditation centers, that has become large and popular around the world. They teach authentic Buddhist meditation. :)
    Maybe I just don't like him then :lol: but I have read forums where people said they felt a cultish vibe on his retreats, and I watched a video of him talking and I didn't like him one bit. So I don't know if it's a cult then, I guess he's just not for me :shrugs: :)

• Everything can be a problem, thus samsara. But why not focus on the mind since it controls the body and everything else?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Jason said:

Great discussion, everyone. I don't have much time before I leave, but I think you both make some interesting and valid points. My general take, however, is this:

Hope that's helpful. Any questions and/or further discussion on my part will have to wait until I come back from my road trip. :)

Since people think this is an interesting discussion, I feel free to respond. I try not to get into a repetition of moves here:

Hi @Jason,

Thanks for the repsonse and have a nice trip!

This term clinging-aggregates has been interpreted in many ways, one is indeed seperating the aggregates not subject to suffering to be not dukkha. But if one does that, one could wonder why the aggregates are often treated in general as impermanent, as a burden, thus suffering. As in "form, feeling, etc is impermanent, suffering etc". Did the ones compiling the suttas make an error, or do we have to interpose the part 'clinging to' ourselves?

Or is the term clinging-aggregates just indicating that the aggregates can be clung to? And so the aggregates and the clinging-aggregates aren't that different? To me it's those latter and let me explain why.

First of all, from a textual point of view, for example this quote would be very hard to interpret without that view:
    These same five aggregates of clinging, to which he does not become engaged and to which he does not cling, lead to his well-being and happiness for a long time.
    - SN 22.85
    How can one not cling to aggregates subject to clinging?.. Seems to be a contradiction.

Now, from a practice point of view, suffering is very broad, it isn't just that what is difficult to bear, but it's everything that's impermanent, everything that isn't nirvana, that isn't satisfying is what I would put under the label of suffering. For example we also have another defenition of suffering which says nothing about clinging or not clinging. It doesn't mention this is not true for enlightened ones, or not true when there is no clinging etc. In fact it just says the body (and other senses) is suffering:
    "And what is the noble truth of dukkha? 'The six internal sense media,' should be the reply. Which six? The medium of the eye... the ear... the nose... the tongue... the body... the intellect. This is called the noble truth of dukkha."
    - SN 56.14
    Now one could counter this by saying, wait a minute, the third truth said: "And what is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering? The letting go of craving." But that doesn't say letting go of craving has as an immediate result the cessation of suffering..

So to say everything apart from final nirvana is still suffering in one way or the other, to me that's a more logical point of view to take - although it is more challenging perhaps. But it is not just to make a point, I think it is also very useful, for it makes craving for a state of being without suffering less likely by recognizing suffering is inherent in existence. Also you can't change your body, the body is not-self. All that is not-self is suffering, because it can't be controlled, it's out of our range. I would call that not satisfying and thus dukkha. This makes it easier for people to stop struggling their body, and for example people with chronic pains may easier accept that it is just that way, just suffering.

So one could also use such a view as a tool, at least until the point tools aren't needed anymore. At that point we'll just know.

Metta!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    One problem I see in this discussion is too much intellectualism.

One of the grandest sites (and sights) in North America is standing on Glacier Point in Yosemite National Park and looking out over Yosemite Valley. If you haven't been there, I could describe it to you. I could even show you a photograph of it. But neither of those options is comparable to standing there, 3,300 feet above the valley floor.

And I rather suspect that some of the folks here who are being so cavalier about pain and suffering, are young enough that they probably haven't experienced intense pain and suffering. Perhaps they can point to some pain and suffering they've experienced, but they don't understand that it's all relative. Perhaps they've had a broken shoulder, which is certainly pain and suffering; but that broken should will heal over a relatively short period of time. Perhaps they haven't experienced a heart condition which will permanently restrict them; will cause them to have nights when they truly wonder if they will be alive the next morning; will make them contemplate life in a nursing home, and so forth. Perhaps they've experienced breaking up with someone they have loved for a few months. Perhaps they have not experienced the permanent loss of a son.

@Poptart, think about what you said: "Suffering can be a blessing...". If you really believe that, I assume you go around wishing pain and suffering on the people you love. Do you wake up in the morning and think to yourself, "Gee, I hope I discover that I have cancer of the pancreas today"? I don't think so. I think you need to rethink the use of cliches. Yes, sometimes we learn things from bad experiences; in fact, sometimes the most effective learning is through suffering. But I still don't think that such suffering is a blessing, particularly when there are easier ways to learn such lessons. It's sort of like saying that whipping children is the most effective way to teach discipline. But, most of us no longer think that whipping children is the best way to teach those lessons.

I often find myself disagreeing with @Sabre, but not this time. I think he has a much more realistic grasp on the reality of pain and suffering and how to use Buddhism to manage it in one's life.

With all due respect to @Jason, actually living through intense pain and suffering is not the same as reading about pain and suffering in Buddhist scriptures.

Having said all that, I'm not saying that intellectualizing the concept of the elimination of pain and suffering is all bad. Indeed, it may help prepare one to better cope with intense pain and suffering when it does come. I know Christians and Buddhists who use their faith as tools to better cope with suffering, but I've yet to meet the cancer patient who says, "Nah, it doesn't matter, I feel on top of the world!". What I have heard is the person dying of cancer who says, "Well, I'm dealing with it, and there are still things in life to enjoy." But that's not same as banishing pain and suffering; it's just putting pain and suffering in perspective. It's still there.

RebeccaSmusicMaryAnne
  • vinlyn said:

@Poptart, think about what you said: "Suffering can be a blessing...". If you really believe that, I assume you go around wishing pain and suffering on the people you love. Do you wake up in the morning and think to yourself, "Gee, I hope I discover that I have cancer of the pancreas today"? I don't think so. I think you need to rethink the use of cliches. Yes, sometimes we learn things from bad experiences; in fact, sometimes the most effective learning is through suffering. But I still don't think that such suffering is a blessing, particularly when there are easier ways to learn such lessons.

Of course I don't wish suffering on anyone, and whether I do or not would frankly make no difference anyway. People choose their own suffering. What I wish for has nothing to do with it.

I don't consider it a cliche. Often times what we consider the worst events that could happen to us turn out to be the opening of a new lease of life.

There is an obvious contradiction in "sometimes the most effective learning is through suffering" and "but I still don't think that such suffering is a blessing". Would you prefer people remain unawakened? And what are these "easier ways" you speak so glibly of?
    poptart said:

vinlyn said:

@Poptart, think about what you said: "Suffering can be a blessing...". If you really believe that, I assume you go around wishing pain and suffering on the people you love. Do you wake up in the morning and think to yourself, "Gee, I hope I discover that I have cancer of the pancreas today"? I don't think so. I think you need to rethink the use of cliches. Yes, sometimes we learn things from bad experiences; in fact, sometimes the most effective learning is through suffering. But I still don't think that such suffering is a blessing, particularly when there are easier ways to learn such lessons.

Of course I don't wish suffering on anyone, and whether I do or not would frankly make no difference anyway. People choose their own suffering. What I wish for has nothing to do with it.

I don't consider it a cliche. Often times what we consider the worst events that could happen to us turn out to be the opening of a new lease of life.

There is an obvious contradiction in "sometimes the most effective learning is through suffering" and "but I still don't think that such suffering is a blessing". Would you prefer people remain unawakened? And what are these "easier ways" you speak so glibly of?
    Well, first, glibness is in the eyes of the beholder. I saw your comments as being glib, but didn't want to use such a negative term.

Let's take the example of my grandfather, who learned smoking was bad through emphysema and lung cancer...and radiation and chemotherapy...and death. I wish he could have learned that smoking was bad the same way I did...by reading about the health risks and using common sense.

Many, perhaps most, lessons to be learned can be learned easily or through much adversity. I think some people are just more stubborn and have to learn lessons the hard way, while others can more easily change their viewpoints. Sort of like math. Some get "it" rather easily; some suffer through "it". And often, it's the mindset which is there. I used to have students (mostly girls) who said things like, "I can't do science, and my mother said she could never do science either"; a learned mindset; a foolish mindset. While I found boys "got" science easier than girls, my top students were usually girls. What was the difference? Mindset.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @Vinlyn @poptart I think you're both right. It's true that suffering can be a blessing in disguise, but that's usually a view that comes with hindsight rather than something you can really know while you're going through it. If you knew it was a blessing while you were going through it, it wouldn't really be suffering anymore.

If it's not suffering anymore, can you still learn the lesson?

Ok, my mind is about to go wrap itself up around itself for a while now I've said that (a million new questions just popped up) :lol: but based on my own experience with suffering I think you're both right, just in different ways :)
  • music said:

Buddhism focuses too much on the mind, that an untamed mind is a problem etc. etc. but isn't the real problem the body?

I think that physical processes tend to be underestimated.

It is noteworthy that in a Zen-monastery the cook is the second most important person, right after the Roshi. The cook can ruin the monastery or make it a success.
    The influence of our diet and habits on our mental wellbeing - I’m convinced - is huge.
    So before studying and discussing sutras’s and before meditating; stop bad habits like smoking, drinking and over-eating. It’ll be half the way. Getting our vitamins and minerals and doing some exercise will do the rest.

Sometimes I wonder if Buddhism is a pointless mind-game we play, while our bodies attain Enlightenment without us noticing it.

vinlyn
  • Let's take the example of my grandfather, who learned smoking was bad through emphysema and lung cancer...and radiation and chemotherapy...and death. I wish he could have learned that smoking was bad the same way I did...by reading about the health risks and using common sense.
    My sympathies for the loss of your grandfather, but with respect he would have died sooner or later regardless of whether he smoked so I don't know what point you are making here. We cannot insure against suffering by learning to avoid this or doing that. Loss comes to everyone. You could avoid smoking, exercise and do all the right things to keep healthy but have an out of control car drive onto the pavement and mow you down.
    Many, perhaps most, lessons to be learned can be learned easily or through much adversity. I think some people are just more stubborn and have to learn lessons the hard way, while others can more easily change their viewpoints. Sort of like math. Some get "it" rather easily; some suffer through "it". And often, it's the mindset which is there. I used to have students (mostly girls) who said things like, "I can't do science, and my mother said she could never do science either"; a learned mindset; a foolish mindset. While I found boys "got" science easier than girls, my top students were usually girls. What was the difference? Mindset.
    Are you suggesting that awakening can be learned in the same way as a maths class? I don't think so. Awakening is not an intellectual process at all, it is far deeper.
    poptart said:

...We cannot insure against suffering by learning to avoid this or doing that. Loss comes to everyone. You could avoid smoking, exercise and do all the right things to keep healthy but have an out of control car drive onto the pavement and mow you down.

Are you suggesting that awakening can be learned in the same way as a maths class? I don't think so. Awakening is not an intellectual process at all, it is far deeper.
    1. Learning to avoid doing things that are unwise can eliminate much suffering. Had I thought better about running across the icy deck, I wouldn't have broken my shoulder, and would have eliminated the suffering associated with that (which has continued for well over a decade now). Had my son paid attention to the law, he wouldn't have ended up in court, and jail, and having to leave the country...and all the suffering that went with those consequences...and the suffering that his wife and I also went through...and continue to go through. Had the teacher paid attention to her contract, I wouldn't have had to fire her. Had the vice-principal done what was morally and legally "right", I wouldn't have had to fire him.

2. Now, there is another kind of suffering that cannot be avoided merely by doing the smart or wise thing...such as the example you give of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was born with a heart problem. It didn't matter how I ate or exercised...sooner or later I was going to suffer because of it. That kind of suffering can't be avoided by making good and wise decisions. But to be honest, many of the problems we suffer from are of our own making.

3. What was Buddha's purpose in teaching? To help people learn to eliminate suffering (and a few other things, as well). What are all the examples in Buddhist scriptures for? Learning to make wise decisions to avoid personal suffering or avoid making other people suffer. Yes, avoidance of situations that lead to suffering can often (not always) eliminate suffering. Otherwise, there is no reason to read Buddhist scriptures or follow Buddhism. Actually, it's very much about intellectualizing decision making and problem solving tactics in life.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    So that's where we need to do the work. That's why you'll rarely if ever see a monk doing push ups instead of meditation.
    Unless push-ups are a form of meditation.
    :p
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    In other words, although nibbana — the summum bonum of Buddhism — is said to be the cessation of suffering, that doesn't mean that a person won't feel physical pain or discomfort, but it does mean that such feelings will no longer cause mental suffering, emotional distress, etc. I think this is made clear in the simile of the dart found in SN 36.6:
    I'm not sure the dart simile is that conclusive, because both darts are painful. ;)
    Sabre said:

This term clinging-aggregates has been interpreted in many ways, one is indeed seperating the aggregates not subject to suffering to be not dukkha. But if one does that, one could wonder why the aggregates are often treated in general as impermanent, as a burden, thus suffering. As in "form, feeling, etc is impermanent, suffering etc". Did the ones compiling the suttas make an error, or do we have to interpose the part 'clinging to' ourselves?

Or is the term clinging-aggregates just indicating that the aggregates can be clung to? And so the aggregates and the clinging-aggregates aren't that different? To me it's those latter and let me explain why.

First of all, from a textual point of view, for example this quote would be very hard to interpret without that view:

These same five aggregates of clinging, to which he does not become engaged and to which he does not cling, lead to his well-being and happiness for a long time.
    - SN 22.85
    How can one not cling to aggregates subject to clinging?.. Seems to be a contradiction.

The place I'm staying at has internet, so I thought I'd check in and see how things have progressed. Don't have a lot of time, so I can't give a detailed response, but a couple of quick comments should suffice for now. First off, I think you make some good points. It's not so much that I disagree with you as I think dukkha has more than one connotation, i.e., dukkha as an experience and dukkha as a characteristic of phenomena, and I'm stressing the former while you're stressing the latter.

For example, SN 22.48 makes a clear distinction between the aggregates and the clinging-aggregates. And in SN 22.22, the five clinging-aggregates are described as a burden to be cast off, which I'd suggest means that one doesn't literally 'cast off' form, feeling, perception, fabrictions, consciousness, but that one does so by relinquishes craving (which the the requisite for clinging) in relation to them, making them no longer a burden:
    "And which is the casting off of the burden? The remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving. This is called the casting off of the burden."
    That said, I agree that the aggregates are still dukkha in sense of being inconstant, not-self, and subject to cessation, even for an arahant, who's also still sensitive to pleasure and pain. It's just that they're no longer difficult to bear or a source of suffering for one who has rid their mind of craving.
    Sabre said:

Now, from a practice point of view, suffering is very broad, it isn't just that what is difficult to bear, but it's everything that's impermanent, everything that isn't nirvana, that isn't satisfying is what I would put under the label of suffering. For example we also have another defenition of suffering which says nothing about clinging or not clinging. It doesn't mention this is not true for enlightened ones, or not true when there is no clinging etc. In fact it just says the body (and other senses) is suffering:

"And what is the noble truth of dukkha? 'The six internal sense media,' should be the reply. Which six? The medium of the eye... the ear... the nose... the tongue... the body... the intellect. This is called the noble truth of dukkha."
    - SN 56.14
    Now one could counter this by saying, wait a minute, the third truth said: "And what is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering? The letting go of craving." But that doesn't say letting go of craving has as an immediate result the cessation of suffering.

That may be. It's certainly possible, and I think you make a strong case that letting go of craving may not have an immediate result in the cessation of suffering in the present. However, there are many places in the Pali Canon where nibbana is expressed in positive terms, and where the experience of nibbana is describe as being blissful or absent the mental component of suffering that accompanies the experience of physical pain (see Lily de Silva's "Nibbana as Living Experience" and the The Questions of King Milinda for a couple of references), not to mention anecdotal evidence in the form of testimonials from those who have supposedly achieved it themselves (e.g., see Ajahn Maha Boowa's Arahattamagga Arahattaphala).

Either way, I think that the attainment of nibbana is clearly a profound psychological event that radically changes the way the mind relates to experience, opening one up to a state of mind that's said to be unshakable, total, permanent, and free; and I'd hazard to guess that our experience of, and reaction to, pain and suffering is never quite the same afterwards.
    Cloud
    edited September 2012

I'm not sure the dart simile is that conclusive, because both darts are painful. ;)

It seems conclusive enough to me. :)
    "But in the case of a well-taught noble disciple, O monks, when he is touched by a painful feeling, he will not worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. It is one kind of feeling he experiences, a bodily one, but not a mental feeling. It is as if a man were pierced by a dart, but was not hit by a second dart following the first one. So this person experiences feelings caused by a single dart only. It is similar with a well-taught noble disciple: when touched by a painful feeling, he will no worry nor grieve and lament, he will not beat his breast and weep, nor will he be distraught. He experiences one single feeling, a bodily one.
    vinlyn said:

With all due respect to @Jason, actually living through intense pain and suffering is not the same as reading about pain and suffering in Buddhist scriptures.

Having said all that, I'm not saying that intellectualizing the concept of the elimination of pain and suffering is all bad. Indeed, it may help prepare one to better cope with intense pain and suffering when it does come. I know Christians and Buddhists who use their faith as tools to better cope with suffering, but I've yet to meet the cancer patient who says, "Nah, it doesn't matter, I feel on top of the world!". What I have heard is the person dying of cancer who says, "Well, I'm dealing with it, and there are still things in life to enjoy." But that's not same as banishing pain and suffering; it's just putting pain and suffering in perspective. It's still there.

You're quite right, @vinyn; it's not the same. But it helps me to pass the time and forget about my own pains for a while. :)
    vinlyn
  • there are many places in the Pali Canon where nibbana is expressed in positive terms, and where the experience of nibbana is describe as being blissful or absent the mental component of suffering that accompanies the experience of physical pain
    Agreed.

I think we all agree that the body is in fact a problem, but most important is the mind, because that's where we can really make a difference.
  • By the way also interesting to read:
    "And how is one afflicted in body but unafflicted in mind? There is the case where a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — who has regard for noble ones, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.001.than.html
  • vinlyn said:

poptart said:

vinlyn said:

Well, first, glibness is in the eyes of the beholder. I saw your comments as being glib, but didn't want to use such a negative term.

Let's take the example of my grandfather, who learned smoking was bad through emphysema and lung cancer...and radiation and chemotherapy...and death. I wish he could have learned that smoking was bad the same way I did...by reading about the health risks and using common sense.

Not every individual who develops one of the many types of lung cancers smoked cigarettes just as not every smoker develops lung cancer. Whilst as individuals we will learn something through suffering what the lessons will be is just as individual as the actual suffering. The teachings in Buddhism point to the aspect that it is not the body or the experience that is significant it is our responses to it.